Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
31,861 - 31,880 of 46,358 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago
PHD

Overton, TX

#33750 Jan 21, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Math? What math? Why - did you find it a struggle?
Brand has been working seriously on this stuff for over 40 years and originally published this "Environmental Heresies" thesis in 2005 - so I think that's all the "nuance" you're going to get.
As for "simplistic," his thesis makes the anti-nuke neo-Luddites' "analysis" look like the work of the village idiot.(Which it is).
As for the paper - largely a yawner; no news.
I did find this part interesting, though -
"Diurnal variations decreased from 1900 to 1987, and then increased; this increase is significant but not understood.""
"Some of the climate models predict that the diurnal temperature range, that is, the difference between Tmax and Tmin, should decrease due to greenhouse warming. The physics is that greenhouse gases have more impact at night when they absorb infrared and reduce the cooling, and that this effect is larger than the additional daytime warming. This predicted change is sometimes cited as one of the “fingerprints” that separates greenhouse warming from other effects such as solar variability."
"The behavior of the diurnal range is not simple; it drops from 1900 to 1987, and then it rises. The rise takes place during a period when, according to the IPCC report, the anthropogenic effect of global warming is evident above the background variations from natural causes. Although the post-1987 rise is not sufficient to undo the drop that took place from 1901 to 1987, the trend of 0.86 ± 0.13°C/century is distinctly upwards with a very high level of confidence. This reversal is particularly odd since it occurs during a period when the rise in Tavg was strong and showed no apparent changes in behavior. From 1950 to 2010, because of the recent rise, the net change we observe is -0.04 ± 0.01°C/decade. We are not aware of any global climate models that predicted the reversal of slope that we observe."
Now what do you make of that?
Useless scientific science fiction.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#33751 Jan 22, 2013
Commercial asteroid hunters announce plans for new robotic exploration fleet

Belgium plans artificial island to store wind power
PHD

Overton, TX

#33752 Jan 22, 2013
flack wrote:
Commercial asteroid hunters announce plans for new robotic exploration fleet
Belgium plans artificial island to store wind power
Yes Wind power rules again.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#33753 Jan 22, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire your optimism, even though I can muster precious little of it myself as I consider the overall calibre and judgement [SIC] of "those responsible for governance" in Washington today. "Statesmanship" is not the first thought that comes to my mind as I survey the expensive wreckage ...
Teddy R,

Unfortunately, at this time your pessimism is not unwarranted. 8 of the 12 largest companies in the world (by revenue) are oil companies, 2 are auto manufacturers, one is a utility & the other is WalMart.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global...

They all have strong financial interests in AGW/CC denial, though carefully written laws could make the auto manufacturers & the utility more neutral.

The amount of money & power lined up against common sense & scientific fact is staggering. Only strong beliefs by large numbers of people have a chance to succeed in opposing these monied interests.

The truth will come out eventually. We just have to hope that billions of people won't have to die in unpleasant ways, & civilization (or "civilisation" given your spelling of "calibre") won't have to be completely destroyed.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33754 Jan 22, 2013
Just fallow the money and you will see the truth.

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#33755 Jan 22, 2013
London mayor claims recent snow storm is proof we are headed to mini ice age.

Since: Aug 12

Jersey City, NJ

#33756 Jan 22, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Are you kidding?
Compare Dr Biden with "shotgun" Cheney, for example. I remember the day he shot his friend on the head. Some statesman he was!
Dr. Biden?
Doctor Biden is Biden's wife. Sometimes listening to VP Biden I wonder, if he graduated from a high school..
But on a good note - he provides us with fun and entertainment.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33757 Jan 22, 2013
More global warming cooling climate change scientific science fiction.
litesong

Everett, WA

#33758 Jan 22, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
"The behavior of the diurnal range is not simple; it drops from 1900 to 1987, and then it rises. "
Now what do you make of that?
Do you think changes in Arctic cold fronts in the 1980's & onward, moving to the south might have any separating effects to Tmax & Tmin, that could cause an increase in diurnal range?

I think there is evidence that increasing energy in the atmosphere due to AGW, is causing warm fronts to push with more vigor into the North Pole region, simultaneously pushing Arctic cold fronts more vigorously to the south. How more vigorous south moving Arctic fronts would affect Tmax & Tmin at the more numerous weather stations in the south differently tho, is a mystery.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#33759 Jan 22, 2013
Jonah_Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Biden?
Doctor Biden is Biden's wife. Sometimes listening to VP Biden I wonder, if he graduated from a high school..
Why not? Dr Biden received his Juris Doctor in 1968.
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#33760 Jan 22, 2013
HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
Teddy R,
Unfortunately, at this time your pessimism is not unwarranted. 8 of the 12 largest companies in the world (by revenue) are oil companies, 2 are auto manufacturers, one is a utility & the other is WalMart.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/global...
They all have strong financial interests in AGW/CC denial, though carefully written laws could make the auto manufacturers & the utility more neutral.
The amount of money & power lined up against common sense & scientific fact is staggering. Only strong beliefs by large numbers of people have a chance to succeed in opposing these monied interests.
The truth will come out eventually. We just have to hope that billions of people won't have to die in unpleasant ways, & civilization (or "civilisation" given your spelling of "calibre") won't have to be completely destroyed.
Capital has no ideological God but profit, and there is plenty of profit being made off AGW/GCC worshippers as well already (particularly when technologically illiterate government bureaucrats are foolishly handing out free money by the billions to whatever fast-talking greenie promoter/fraudster has the sexiest and most politically congenial patter).

When the day arrives that capital can reliably make bigger profits flogging windmills, solar collector, and fuel cell/electric-powered cars that are actually cost-competitive/economical - sans subsidies -, capital will drop ExxonMobil and all those eeevul huge globalist corporations you currently find so skeery so fast it will make your head spin, and rush into all those "good" green carbon-free energy & transportation opportunities you love so much.

That day has not yet arrived. But when it does, I think you had better prepare yourself for the hard truth that it will still be the Owners of those same Big Oil giants you will be buying all that green energy from, and the same automotive giants who you will be buying your green transportation from. And they will be even bigger and badder globalists than you reckon they are today.

Also - just a presentational tip: jeremiads threatening people with billions of deaths and ends to civilization frankly aren't politically effective or persuasive, no matter how convinced you may be - people just tune that kind of hysterical stuff out. No one listens to Chicken Little or the boy who cried wolf, even when they're right.
PHD

Overton, TX

#33762 Jan 22, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Why not? Dr Biden received his Juris Doctor in 1968.
And you think topix doesn’t know what you publish? Attacks on me won't delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.

Fairfax, VA

#33763 Jan 22, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Capital has no ideological God but profit, and there is plenty of profit being made off AGW/GCC worshippers as well already (particularly when technologically illiterate government bureaucrats are foolishly handing out free money by the billions to whatever fast-talking greenie promoter/fraudster has the sexiest and most politically congenial patter).
We have an energy crisis for the long term.

It's true, though that the recent glut of natural gas changed the market assumptions of energy prices when fixed investments were made here.

And it's also true, that the real problem with companies like Solyndra was that China started heavily subsidizing their local companies, pricing them out of the market.

Teddy R

Houston, TX

#33764 Jan 22, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think changes in Arctic cold fronts in the 1980's & onward, moving to the south might have any separating effects to Tmax & Tmin, that could cause an increase in diurnal range?
I think there is evidence that increasing energy in the atmosphere due to AGW, is causing warm fronts to push with more vigor into the North Pole region, simultaneously pushing Arctic cold fronts more vigorously to the south. How more vigorous south moving Arctic fronts would affect Tmax & Tmin at the more numerous weather stations in the south differently tho, is a mystery.
Maybe, but I tend to think not; my impression is that the diurnal temp diff is generally assumed to be a function of the thermodynamic inertia of the atmosphere - and that's why it's been thought to be an indicator of AGW vs. solar forcings; differences in atmospheric CO2 concentrations would be expected to show up as a signal in diurnal temp diff, while variations in solar forcing would not.

I think the hypothesis would be similar with colder vs. warmer air migrating further North or South - unless the _composition_ of these arctic vs. sub-arctic airmasses and their bulk thermodynamic properties are different, like in the case of changing solar forcing one would not expect to see diurnal atmospheric heating and cooling _rates_ change markedly - Tmax and Tmin would simply be shifted higher or lower by the same amount, with no significant delta in Tdiff.

But what do I know - still, I'm no less puzzled than the Authors themselves, it seems. If the explanation were that obvious, I'd have expected them to offer it in their paper rather than saying it's "not understood."
Teddy R

Houston, TX

#33765 Jan 22, 2013
Wallop10 wrote:
<quoted text>
We have an energy crisis for the long term.
It's true, though that the recent glut of natural gas changed the market assumptions of energy prices when fixed investments were made here.
And it's also true, that the real problem with companies like Solyndra was that China started heavily subsidizing their local companies, pricing them out of the market.
Mankind has had a continuous energy crisis throughout human history.

Wait until either a) Saudi Arabia falls into chaos when the last of the current octogenarian generation of brothers/heirs to the Throne die off in quick succession, and/or b) shocking truth about Saudi's TRUE remaining recoverable reserves (one of the truly great secrets in the world) is revelaed: http://www.aaee.at/2009-IAEE/uploads/presenta...

Talk about changing market assumptions - whooo-eee! And potentially overnight!

Sporty times ahead ...
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#33766 Jan 22, 2013
Jonah_Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Biden?
I like ole Joe.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#33767 Jan 22, 2013
PHD wrote:
Just fallow the money and you will see the truth.
Tell us about this money.

Do you have pictures of Michael Mann's villa in the south of Italy?

Do you have a picture of Trenberth gettin into his Maserati?

Any real proof at all that these guys are getting rich off their "scam"?

I didn't think so.

Location hidden

#33768 Jan 23, 2013
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
When the day arrives that capital can reliably make bigger profits flogging windmills, solar collector, and fuel cell/electric-powered cars that are actually cost-competitive/economical - sans subsidies -, capital will drop ExxonMobil and all those eeevul huge globalist corporations you currently find so skeery so fast it will make your head spin, and rush into all those "good" green carbon-free energy & transportation opportunities you love so much.
That day has not yet arrived. But when it does, I think you had better prepare yourself for the hard truth that it will still be the Owners of those same Big Oil giants you will be buying all that green energy from, and the same automotive giants who you will be buying your green transportation from. And they will be even bigger and badder globalists than you reckon they are today.
Also - just a presentational tip: jeremiads threatening people with billions of deaths and ends to civilization frankly aren't politically effective or persuasive, no matter how convinced you may be - people just tune that kind of hysterical stuff out. No one listens to Chicken Little or the boy who cried wolf, even when they're right.
It's just nonsense that there's money in supporting AGW/CC theory. In case you hadn't heard, governments everywhere (outside of China, perhaps), at every level, are BROKE. They don't have a lot of excess money to give out to green energy fast talkers, especially when they've always given such enormous sums of it to the oil companies.

You appear to suffer from the same hallucinatory psychotic delusion that so many people, & their governments, suffer from: that it is "free" to emit carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide & methane, into the atmosphere. It most assuredly is NOT free, & it will be almost incalculably expensive in the future.

The only way to be sure non-carbon energies are competing on a level playing field is for fossil fuels to be assessed a stiff (but revenue-neutral, gradually increasing) carbon tax. Most of us have to pay for garbage, recycling & sewage (directly or indirectly), so why shouldn't they pay for their waste carbon? Direct subsidies, & the horrendous lack of a carbon tax, are far, FAR larger subsidies to fossil fuels than the tiny subsidies doled out to renewable energy companies.

Personally I don't particularly "love" green energy in the way you seem to snidely imply. I just realize the facts: that we simply MUST switch to non-carbon emitting energy, & switch ASAP. It's notable that nuclear power doesn't emit carbon, & it would be VASTLY preferable to burning more fossil fuel. We just need to use fast neutron "breeder" reactors, or make the switch to liquid thorium; both these have the advantage of much, MUCH less dangerous waste that is radioactive for a MUCH shorter time.

Ultimately, mining the lunar mare for Helium-3, which can fuse with deuterium without releasing excess neutrons, may be much better over the longer term. The amount of energy is enormous. The lack of excess neutrons means reactor vessels last much, much longer. The Chinese will probably dominate this industry in the future; they're the ones who are foresightful enough to be returning to the moon.

I realize that people generally don't pay attention to chicken littles. I just personally believe that the IPCC is underestimating the rapidity & severity of changes. Someday, a hundred years after we're dead, if there are still humans &/or machines reading this, perhaps I'll be proven right. Or not, time will tell.
Largelanguage

Rhyl, UK

#33769 Jan 23, 2013
Power stations are usually coal or nuclear. Switch to nuclear. Easy option. Is it too expensive, fellow republicans?
PHD

Overton, TX

#33770 Jan 23, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us about this money.
Do you have pictures of Michael Mann's villa in the south of Italy?
Do you have a picture of Trenberth gettin into his Maserati?
Any real proof at all that these guys are getting rich off their "scam"?
I didn't think so.
Well than you didn't follow the money.Do you know what riches they have?I didn't think so.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min No Surprize 1,100,994
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min JOEL 69,038
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 hr Eaddae 305,478
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr voice of peace 68,393
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr see the light 18,888
Find all students who are in Hartford Aug 28 Mr Black 1
Police: Suspect Tried To Strangle Woman (Mar '08) Aug 27 Confused 167
•••
•••
•••

Hartford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE