Armed Robbery Reported At Newington Radio Shack -- Police Inves...

Police are investigating an armed robbery at a Radio Shack on the Berlin Turnpike this morning where two suspects held employees at gunpoint and stole cash and electronics, police said. Full Story
Marc

Wethersfield, CT

#1 Apr 7, 2008
Looks like suburban shopping centers are the easiest targets these days. Set off from the street by the parking lots, nobody would even notice. I bet they wouldn't try that at the West Hartford Center Radio Shack. What a mess they've created in this state.
Jimmy The Greek

New Haven, CT

#2 Apr 7, 2008
Marc wrote:
Looks like suburban shopping centers are the easiest targets these days. Set off from the street by the parking lots, nobody would even notice. I bet they wouldn't try that at the West Hartford Center Radio Shack. What a mess they've created in this state.
That plaza has been going downhill for a while. The gym--Planet Fitness--runs cheap membership specials and plays hip hop which of course attracts a less savory clientele.
Suburban Male

Fond Du Lac, WI

#3 Apr 7, 2008
Marc wrote:
Very funny--so when all hell breaks lose--everyone go to West Hartford and hide. You'll be safe there!
Former Suffieldian

Honolulu, HI

#4 Apr 7, 2008
Jimmy The Greek wrote:
<quoted text>
That plaza has been going downhill for a while. The gym--Planet Fitness--runs cheap membership specials and plays hip hop which of course attracts a less savory clientele.
So because Planet Fitness offers cheap membership and plays hip hop criminals come to that plaza? So, if they offered over priced membership and played rock n roll the client base would be rich white folks? Seriously Jimmy, get your head out of your @$$ and take a breath of reality. It isn't the gyms fault that this happened as you are placing blame on them for their business practices. The gym had nothing to do with this at all! Seriously, you are already assuming that the two suspects are black by your comments of cheap and hip hop. Stop being a typical racist person from Connecticut, open your eyes and realize that skin color doesn't matter.

Since: Mar 08

Hartford, CT

#5 Apr 7, 2008
I agree, Jimmy is part of the problem and surely not the solution, constantly hiding behind "coded" passages, like "Hip Hop", "Cheap Rates", what an A@@
Former Suffieldian wrote:
<quoted text>
So because Planet Fitness offers cheap membership and plays hip hop criminals come to that plaza? So, if they offered over priced membership and played rock n roll the client base would be rich white folks? Seriously Jimmy, get your head out of your @$$ and take a breath of reality. It isn't the gyms fault that this happened as you are placing blame on them for their business practices. The gym had nothing to do with this at all! Seriously, you are already assuming that the two suspects are black by your comments of cheap and hip hop. Stop being a typical racist person from Connecticut, open your eyes and realize that skin color doesn't matter.
Marc

Wethersfield, CT

#6 Apr 7, 2008
<quoted text>
"Newington Police are investigating an armed robbery that occurred at approximately 10:30 AM at Radio Shack 3065 Berlin Turnpike. Two suspects entered the store and held employees at gunpoint as they stole cash and numerous electronics items. The suspects were in the store for an extended period of time and left with several large bags of merchandise from the store. Both suspects were described as Hispanic males wearing dark colored clothing. At least one of the suspects was armed with a handgun. The suspects fled the store on foot and were seen getting into a black Dodge Intrepid that was parked at KinderCare on Pascone Place. An inventory will need to be done by Radio Shack employees to determine exactly what was taken. No employees were injured during the robbery."

You're right. Never forget the Hispanics!
Jimmy The Greek

New Haven, CT

#7 Apr 7, 2008
<quoted text>
So because Planet Fitness offers cheap membership and plays hip hop criminals come to that plaza?
You got it.
Jimmy The Greek

New Haven, CT

#8 Apr 7, 2008
Handle the Truth wrote:
I agree, Jimmy is part of the problem and surely not the solution, constantly hiding behind "coded" passages, like "Hip Hop", "Cheap Rates", what an A@@<quoted text>
You've never even been there so shut up.
Newington resident

Newington, CT

#9 Apr 7, 2008
Jimmy The Greek wrote:
<quoted text>
You've never even been there so shut up.
Well, I *have* been there (as recently as yesterday), and I think you don't have a clue. Actually, no "I think" about it.
Jimmy The Greek

New Haven, CT

#10 Apr 7, 2008
Newington resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I *have* been there (as recently as yesterday), and I think you don't have a clue. Actually, no "I think" about it.
I'm there all the time. Not like it used to be. And yeah, you don't think.
concernedinHartf ord

Manchester, CT

#11 Apr 7, 2008
Once you get roaches in, you will never get them out....something the liberals will never understand. That is until they are a victim of a violent crime, then they will be crying to have the cops put everything on lockdown
Marjorie

South Yarmouth, MA

#12 Apr 7, 2008
Connecticut Lottery Headquarters would have been a better informed choice for a robbery in Newington, IMHO!!! Not to mention the fact that guns catch their undivided attention now!
Veskgar

Brunswick, ME

#13 Apr 7, 2008
You want to deter this sort of thing? Pass a law, regulation or what have you that gives businesses the right to hire qualified security personal to be armed and use deadly force in instances like this.

Once a few of these wastes of human life get killed during attempted armed robberies, it will be one of the biggest deterrents to armed robbery every.

Oh, but this is Connecticut. I need to stop dreaming.
Sluggo

Waltham, MA

#14 Apr 7, 2008
Radio Shack got hit because it was an easy target. Really, it's that simple. Take out etnic origin, loction, social ills, and you have an act of opportunity. And that's exactly what it was. Criminals, like any other member of our society, are mobile. They will travel outside of their local area if they think there is a good potential with little risk. I worked in a West Hartford restaurant in the 1970's, and we got hit. We thought it was "those people" from Hartford. The fact was we were considered an easy target because the money was not locked up, and there was no security. They just walked right in, took the money, laughed, and then walked right out. What could be easier than that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Smart Alex 1,154,188
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 17 min JOEL 71,083
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min OzRitz 49,228
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr Pearl Jam 306,996
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Bently 19,559
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr TRD 68,885
Review: Nirenstein Horowitz And Associates (Sep '12) 10 hr Ruth Jeanette L 12
Hartford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hartford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hartford

Personal Finance