The darker side of ethanol

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

In rural eastern Indiana, where corn-seed markers dot the roadside, a number of homemade white signs with electric-red letters have started popping up offering another message: "No Ethanol." Too close for ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 92 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
patriot

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Aug 28, 2007
Your opinion but how does say 5-7 dollars a gallon for gas grab you? We need the ethanol and well you will lose to big energy everyone does. So start looking for a new house.
Butch

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Aug 28, 2007
FYI, not everyone from Shideler, Indiana believes that an ethanol plant looks like a nuclear reactor cooling tower as portrayed on the signs.
Citizen 1

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Aug 28, 2007
I wish people would stop blaming Bush for everything. It's unproductive and indicates a lack of ability to share responsibility in creating solutions.
Doug

Chicago, IL

#6 Aug 28, 2007
Let's see NASCAR switch to ethanol before the rest of us do. Auto sports are the one of the biggest source of wasteful energy.
Joe

Cincinnati, OH

#7 Aug 28, 2007
Ethanol is not the answer. Neither is fossil fuels. While Jack made some valid points the real solution is finding ways to reduce our consumption. The future lies in reliable public transportation and cars that get 40-50 miles a gallon. The problem with this is NIMBY(not in my back yard) Just like people in the country don't want an Ethanol plant in the horizon, people in the city don't want a communter rail in their back yard. Someone is going to have to give something up or we will all be paying $5 or $6 a gallon.
Also, there could never be enough corn for Ethanol to replace gas. To fill the tank of one SUV it takes about 450 lbs of corn. If we relied solely on Ethanol we would someday have to make a decision between food or filling up our car.
John

French Lick, IN

#9 Aug 28, 2007
Doug wrote:
Let's see NASCAR switch to ethanol before the rest of us do. Auto sports are the one of the biggest source of wasteful energy.
The Indy Racing League is using 100% ethanol this year.
guy

Newark, OH

#10 Aug 28, 2007
Jack-
Did you also know that the Cornell study you refer to also uses 30-year-old data, and comes from a researcher with close ties to Big Oil. I grant ethanol is not the final solution, but at least it is a starting place for further advancement.
hug a tree

AOL

#11 Aug 28, 2007
We are using foreign oil to produce ethanol. It really is a joke.
why

United States

#12 Aug 28, 2007
the Amish have it right----use a horse and then you have free fertilizer!!! Is that recycling?? Just feed it hay and no deadly emmissions!!!
jrszabo

Zionsville, IN

#13 Aug 28, 2007
Jack Mehoff wrote:
Ethanol is the biggest joke and scam of all time. It takes more energy to make a gallon of Ethanol then it provides.
According to a study by Cornell University, for every gallon of ethanol produced, 1.4 gallons of energy is consumed in the process, compared to 0.15 gallons used in the manufacture of gasoline.
It takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol (E-85) to drive as many miles as one gallon of gasoline.
Bend over America, Bush and his crew are bending us over again and shoving their **** up our ***.
Ethanol and it's makers can **** my **** and balls!
And whgat is the source of your data?
Misty

Bowling Green, KY

#14 Aug 28, 2007
I am all for Ethanol. I use E85 for transportation and it works just fine. Actually, I do get more mileage with it and have had no problems what so ever. We need the plants so people, if your not happy, then just move. Nothing in this world will ever make anyone happy.
Grow Hemp

Florence, KY

#15 Aug 28, 2007
Corn is a joke as a biofuel. Using it for such will cause our food costs to rise.

There is a much better crop for this...HEMP! Hemp can be grown in marginal lands where other crops can not. Hemp also has a shorter growing cycle and, at least in some areas depending on climate, two hemp crops can be harvested each year.

Not only is Hemp good for biofuels, it's seeds and seed oils are an excellent source of omega fatty acids (the good fat).

This is another shining example of the absolute failure that is the War on Drugs.
Game Geek

Seymour, IN

#16 Aug 28, 2007
"If they build it, I won't live here," said Keith Beaty, 40

I guess someone may miss you. Have a good trip. We will knock down your house and add a few more rows of corn. The country needs this to help reduce costs of fuel and reduce our need of oil from over seas.
Bob

Laurel, IN

#17 Aug 28, 2007
Let's just shut down Indiana. Close the factories, and we'll have clean air. Shut down the refineries, so we'll have clean air.

Never mind that we'll be broke. We'll have clean air.
Bob

Laurel, IN

#18 Aug 28, 2007
Doug wrote:
Do you really think that a few cars racing make even the tiniest impact, compared to millions on the road?
just me

Sterling Heights, MI

#19 Aug 28, 2007
Well here we go agine. Just as I thought.No brains at work. The state house jumps up and saids "Lets build a ethanol plant ever where". Just like the Japnies and Greman auto plants. build them any were. Cost dose not matter. What it dose to your life don't mater. Just run out and build build. It will not be long be for there are to many plants the pollution. The devation on the city and roads the people. When is or goverment going to start lising to us?
Hmmmmm

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 28, 2007
If you could spell maybe we could understand what the ^&* you are saying....
just me wrote:
Well here we go agine. Just as I thought.No brains at work. The state house jumps up and saids "Lets build a ethanol plant ever where". Just like the Japnies and Greman auto plants. build them any were. Cost dose not matter. What it dose to your life don't mater. Just run out and build build. It will not be long be for there are to many plants the pollution. The devation on the city and roads the people. When is or goverment going to start lising to us?
Larry

Fishers, IN

#21 Aug 28, 2007
If you can't proof read and spell please don't post.
just me wrote:
Bart

Lafayette, IN

#22 Aug 28, 2007
I was told by my auto repairman not to use E85 yet because it destroys plastic. I think this is just a way to drive the price of corn related products up, for the corporate farming industry.
Heywood Jublomi

San Diego, CA

#23 Aug 28, 2007
Jack Mehoff wrote:
Ethanol is the biggest joke and scam of all time. It takes more energy to make a gallon of Ethanol then it provides.
According to a study by Cornell University, for every gallon of ethanol produced, 1.4 gallons of energy is consumed in the process, compared to 0.15 gallons used in the manufacture of gasoline.
It takes 1.5 gallons of ethanol (E-85) to drive as many miles as one gallon of gasoline.
Bend over America, Bush and his crew are bending us over again and shoving their **** up our ***.
Ethanol and it's makers can **** my **** and balls!
The technology is getting better all the time and you seem to forget that we won't have to use ANY foreign oil which has got to be worth something.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) 23 hr Jason Austin 94
Mug shot of Nytarian R. Callahan courtesy the G... Aug 27 Hope 1
Beware of SEAN MOREILLON Aug 25 Concerned Citizen 1
Mcdonalds on tillitson Aug 24 Concerned citizen 1
Shull - Kelsey Aug 23 Penelope 1
Kayla Bennett.. anyone know her Aug 16 licker 1
Authorities seize man's 632 'pets' Aug 8 Go Blue Forever 1
•••
•••
•••

Hartford City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000