21 - 23 of 23 Comments Last updated Nov 24, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
In the know

Harrodsburg, KY

#21 Nov 23, 2013
Funnie99 wrote:
JFK gave America hope ! He was a great man and did many wonderful things during his time in office . He submitted the Civil Rights Act just before his death , he had also planned on pulling troops from Vietnam and he helped us to not have a nuclear war with Russia . I think the United States would be a much better place to live if he had gotten to finish what he started .
A little history about Kennedy and Cuba: Fulgencio Batista was the despised dictator of Cuba. The U.S. supported him. A coup was led by Castro and the hated leader was deposed. Castro choose to lean the Communist way and the Soviet Union realized that a Communist state in the this hemisphere would be an advantage to them. Kennedy also realize this so he backed the Bay of Pigs attack on Cuba by a group of Cuban expatriates. It failed. Through a common "girl friend" Kennedy encouraged Sam Giancana, the Chicago mobster to have Castro assassinated by Mafia members still in Havana. The Soviet Union made a commitment to arm Cuba against an invasion by the U.S. Missals with possible nuclear warheads were placed in Cuba. This brought on the crisis. Much was made of the crisis in both the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. Behind the scenes a solution was being worked out which would both save face for Kennedy and Khrushchev. The U.S. would agree not to invade Cuba and to remove missals, after a period of time, from Turkey which were threatening the U.S.S.R. The U.S.S.R. would agree to remove missals from Cuba as long as the U.S. did not threaten Cuba. The agree was reached. Kennedy was hailed in the U.S. as the man who saved us from a nuclear war and we loved him for it. In the U.S.S.R. Khrushchev was hailed as the man who saved Communist Cuba. Neither leader wanted war and we never came close to it.
To this day Cuba remains a Communist Country and never has Russia sought to use military might to make sure of that.
Funnie99

Winchester, KY

#22 Nov 23, 2013
In the know wrote:
<quoted text>It is not that every assassination propels a leader to greatness. It is when he or she is assassinated and what he or she had accomplished before the assassination and could have happened after the assassination. Three problems would have troubled a living Kennedy. 1. Vietnam. Vietnam spun out of control for Johnsobn and it is unlikely that Kennedy could have handled it differently. 2. Johnson accomplished more for civil rights than Kennedy. Had Kennedy followed through on civil rights as Johnson did he would have faced the same criticism as Johnson did in the south. 3. Kennedy's womanizing was known by Hollywood and the media, but he was being protected. As Vietnam clouded the Kennedy persona the press would have backed off from protecting and the public would be exposed to the President's philandering.
Did Kennedy bone ur old lady or something ? Seems like u have a severe hatred for this man ! He didn't have a chance to push his civil rights act and you have no idea how he would have handled Vietnam ! All ur opinion which u have every right to express ! But I don't have to agree with !
In the Know

Harrodsburg, KY

#23 Nov 24, 2013
Actually I don't hate Kennedy. Kennedy was a Hollywood like leader who came at a time when the country needed hope and enthusiasm. He provided it. But he was flawed. If you would do some reading you would learn that everything that I have written is true.

Kennedy knew that public relations was what would mold the American impression of him. So the perfect wife was found. He would not give interviews to journalist unless they would allow him to edit their stories. Because of his popularity journalist were willing to compromise their trade in order to get stories from and about him.

His popularity was boosted by the movie PT 109 which portrayed him as a hero. He was allowed to read and edit the movie script and it was he who choose the actor to play him.

His second boost came in the Cuban Missal crisis. He wanted to be portrayed as a "man" and he played the crisis to the hilt. As I have mentioned there was negotiation going on behind the scenes which solved the crisis and there never was any real danger of war.

His womanizing war reckless. Not only did he have to be treated for venereal disease occasionally, he was willing to sacrifice his reputation and his marriage in exchange for the sex that he craved. Secrete service aides were terrified that some of the women who serviced him might be an assassin. There was also chances of blackmail.

He owed his election practically to the Chicago Mafia boss and was on a first name basis with him. Frank Sinatra was a close friend of both men and often acted as a go between.

Vietnam spun out of control for Johnson. Protests were common throughout the country. ROT buildings were burned, the flag was desecrated, returning vets were spat upon and people were shot at Kent State. Regardless of Kennedy's persona or good looks, he could not have waved his hand and made Vietnam go away. If he had lived there would be no Camelot and no hero worshiping.

Educate yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 21 min Kane 2,025
where is kyle combs?? (May '10) 52 min crazy 27
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Limbertwig 151,434
bruce and glenda noel 4 hr Cake 1
cathy moore estes 4 hr Gentry 12
jeff pearce (Jan '13) 6 hr Lol 45
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 6 hr birdistheword 81,602
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••