Would Kennedy be praised if he had lived

Posted in the Harrodsburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dr John Hamish Watson

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Nov 6, 2013
Some people think that John F. Kennedy was assassinated at just the right time to make him the cherished politician that he is to this day? Are they right?
Solomn

Harrodsburg, KY

#2 Nov 6, 2013
No, Kennedy would not the popular Camalot president that is held in high esteem today.

Vietnam would have been his downfall just as it destroyed Lyndon Johnson. Near the end of Kennedy's first term he wished the Vietnam war to go on until after the election. He realized that many Americans were afraid of the spread of Communism. Diem was talking unification with the Communist side and Kennedy did not want people to think him soft on Communism. He supported the military assassinaton of Diem and his brother. Body bags were not coming home then.

He could not have stopped it and the war would have tarnished his image.

Few knew about his radical womanizing. Marilyn Monroe had threatened to make their dalliance public knowledge and Bobby Kennedy may or may have not had the Mafia execute her. But by his second term word would have gotten out about this immoral man and women would have turned on him. Fifty years ago there was not this anything goes philosophy in this country.

The South as on fire with the civil rights issue and Martin Luther King had brought civil rights to Washington with his I have a dream speech. Who knows how he would have handled that.

Those things would have been difficult to handle. Kennedy was killed just at the right time to keep his legacy shinning.
Kennedy was a fake

Harrodsburg, KY

#3 Nov 8, 2013
Kennedy was a fake. His marriage was a fake. He scared the country to death with the Cuban Missal crisis. People thought that there would be a atomic war with Russia. It was a fake. All the time there was behind the scenes negotiating. We promised never to invade Cuba and to take our missiles in Turkey and Russia agreed to take out their missiles from Cuba. He was called a hero, he was a fake.

Kennedy had more girlfriends than a hound dog has flees. He was so rich that he could thumb his nose at ordinary people.

It is too bad that he as killed. If he had not been killed the real Kennedy would have come out and people would not be fooled.
Unknown

United States

#4 Nov 8, 2013
That is a good question . But still , Being our president and seeing how his brains were blown allover his wife & the seat of the limo was a horrible thing to happen . Yes , he was a womanizer though I wonder if he was as bad as some say . Of course once is too many times . He was wealthy because his old man was . I was little like most of us were . There's tons of books on this subject . I really want to know who else was in on his murder . Politics and Washington . I guess anything goes if the pockets are deep enough . I still think it was a tragedy . Two small children and his wife who had just given birth to another little boy in August of 63 and it died shortly after birth . I don't know . maybe he wouldn't have been a great man but we nor he ever got to find out . He was only 43 I think when he died . Still a young man .
John Hamish Watson

Harrodsburg, KY

#5 Nov 9, 2013
Kennedy stated that he needed sex every day in order to avoid headaches. Members of the "Irish Mafia" provided the women. Jackie had to know, but I suppose accepted the fact that her husband had other needs. There appeared to be family love, but one has to wonder how much of the PR that was spread about the relationship was fact and how much was for effect.
I was very young and Kennedy was my hero. I have read many books about the man, his time, and his death. Here you have a man who is the most powerful man in the world who takes all kinds of chances with women. He was on a first name basis with the mafia czar of Chicago. He and Frank Sinatra shared a girl friend with him. He had the press in his pocket and often approved journalist's pieces before they were published.
I personally believe that Vietnam would have wounded his just as it did Johnson. As he became unpopular and the street protest grew I suspect that the press would have turned on him and exposed his weakness.
So, yes. I believe had it lived there would be no Camelot.
jmo

Lexington, KY

#6 Nov 9, 2013
I have often wondered if JFK and Abraham Lincoln would be as revered if they had finished their elected terms, retired from politics and lived out their lives until a death of natural causes at an elderly age. I think Lincoln would still have become an icon due to the Northern victory in the war. But maybe not as much.

However, I cannot say the same for JFK. I have asked those that were alive during his presidency and they seem to beleive that his early death added to the Kennedy legend. One said, "He was just another president. If he hadn't died the way he did, he wouldn't be as idolized as he is."

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#7 Nov 9, 2013
I'm not sure that being assassinated in and of itself propels a President into legend. Consider Garfield and McKinley. Neither are often mentioned.
Unknown

United States

#8 Nov 9, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
I'm not sure that being assassinated in and of itself propels a President into legend. Consider Garfield and McKinley. Neither are often mentioned.
I agree . They were assassinated and never here a word about those two old guys . The previous person commented on PR on the Kennedy's . I really do think they loved one another . It was reported that Jacqueline told her dad n law that she was leaving Jack and he supposedly offered her one million dollars to stay with Jack until his term was complete . She had no plans to go to Dallas . John jr had a birthday party to plan but she felt she needed to be with JFK and he wanted her to wear the famous raspberry outfit designed by a well known designer . I sort of got off track sorry . That outfit is wrapped and in a climate controlled room somewhere with all the stains of blood & brain matter I guess still on it .
Funnie99

Winchester, KY

#9 Nov 9, 2013
JFK gave America hope ! He was a great man and did many wonderful things during his time in office . He submitted the Civil Rights Act just before his death , he had also planned on pulling troops from Vietnam and he helped us to not have a nuclear war with Russia . I think the United States would be a much better place to live if he had gotten to finish what he started .
Unknown

United States

#10 Nov 9, 2013
Funnie99 wrote:
JFK gave America hope ! He was a great man and did many wonderful things during his time in office . He submitted the Civil Rights Act just before his death , he had also planned on pulling troops from Vietnam and he helped us to not have a nuclear war with Russia . I think the United States would be a much better place to live if he had gotten to finish what he started .
I just watched a show on ch 500 if you're on Direct tv . It was called " A President Betrayed ". Its new. So interesting . Kennedy's interpreter to the Kruschev is still alive & Kruschevs interpreter is still as well . They spoke of the vienna summit and especially how well President Kennedy conducted himself and the situation during the Bay of Pigs and the possibility of nuclear war . The older military guys were trying to push him into war and putting him down because of his age and inexperience . He kept his cool under unbelievable circumstance . During those days , you couldn't walk into a house without seeing a picture of Jesus Christ and President Kennedy .

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#11 Nov 9, 2013
Unknown wrote:
<quoted text> I just watched a show on ch 500 if you're on Direct tv . It was called " A President Betrayed ". Its new. So interesting . Kennedy's interpreter to the Kruschev is still alive & Kruschevs interpreter is still as well . They spoke of the vienna summit and especially how well President Kennedy conducted himself and the situation during the Bay of Pigs and the possibility of nuclear war . The older military guys were trying to push him into war and putting him down because of his age and inexperience . He kept his cool under unbelievable circumstance . During those days , you couldn't walk into a house without seeing a picture of Jesus Christ and President Kennedy .
I still remember the day very well when President Kennedy was shot. And you are right. Back then, people respected the President. Today a little less than half of America would be cheering if the President was killed. Disgusting. Regardless of who holds the office, he (or she as the case will soon be) is the leader of our country.
Unknown

United States

#12 Nov 10, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
I still remember the day very well when President Kennedy was shot. And you are right. Back then, people respected the President. Today a little less than half of America would be cheering if the President was killed. Disgusting. Regardless of who holds the office, he (or she as the case will soon be) is the leader of our country.
Yes . I seen grown men weep . My Father went outside and I looked to see what he was doing and I seen his white handkerchief wiping his face . You know , without that Abraham Zapruder film , the American public would not have seen what really took place . That film shows everything except for maybe a 2 or 3 second because of a sign on that side of the street . People that were not alive during that time just don't understand . The show I seen tonite was very interesting . I'm sure its on tomorrow sometime .
Hog Nose Simpson

Harrodsburg, KY

#13 Nov 18, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
If the people had any idea about the type of man that Kennedy was he would have been the most despised man alive. Even today the press promotes the perfect man. We had a prostitute lover for a president.
Mugwump

Tucker, GA

#14 Nov 18, 2013
Hog Nose Simpson wrote:
<quoted text>
If the people had any idea about the type of man that Kennedy was he would have been the most despised man alive. Even today the press promotes the perfect man. We had a prostitute lover for a president.
Read up on some history Hog Nose. Even the prostitutes wouldn't touch Lincoln.
Hog Nose Simpson

Harrodsburg, KY

#15 Nov 19, 2013
Hog Nose Simpson wrote:
<quoted text>
Kennedy had an addiction for sex. He had to have it every day. He swam daily nude in the white house pool with scores of men and women and often had public sex. Marilyn Monroe was about expose Kennedy when many people believe that Kennedy's good friend, the Mafia boss of Chicago arranged for a hit on Monroe.

Kennedy's marriage was arranged and it was a farce. But that is just his immoral side. His Bay of Pigs fiasco as well as his attempts to assassinate Castro lead to the Cuban missal crisis, which was really no crisis. All the time that Kennedy was scaring the country he had background people working out the solution which was that we would promise not to invade Cuba in return for Russia taking the missals out of Cuba.

He could not have handled Vietnam any better than Lyndon Johnson. Protest and riots in the streets would have tarnished his image and the press would have turned on him and exposed what he really was which was a sex driven megalomaniac who placed personal pleasure above the good of the country.
Lee

Lexington, KY

#16 Nov 19, 2013
Unknown

United States

#17 Nov 23, 2013
Funnie99 wrote:
That's the way I feel too , Funnie. He was so well liked , loved and did want good for this country . As far as infidelities , I think there were some but bottom line was that Jacqueline was the only one he cared enough about to marry . We weren't there and lord knows Anything and everything has been written . For the most part he was well loved and liked by most . People had more Respect back then than now we'll never know what was to be except another Kennedy murdered 5 years later..
In the know

Harrodsburg, KY

#18 Nov 23, 2013
Funnie99 wrote:
Of course you are wrong. Kennedy came to civil right late. He only became interested when Martin L. King brought the civil rights issue to his doorstep with the "I have a Dream" speech. It is President Johnson who pushed the Civil Rights Act and he was hounded out of office. At the time of his death there were many in America who believed that Communism must be stopped wherever it was and Kennedy wanted Vietnam to continue until he was elected a second term. President Diem had indicated a wiliness of working with the north and Kennedy encouraged the South Vietnam army to assassinate him, thereby insuring that the Vietnam war would continue until his second election. Had Kennedy lived he would have felt the anger of the American people just as Johnson did and his legacy would be far from Camelot.
In the know

Harrodsburg, KY

#19 Nov 23, 2013
Unknown wrote:
<quoted text> That's the way I feel too , Funnie. He was so well liked , loved and did want good for this country . As far as infidelities , I think there were some but bottom line was that Jacqueline was the only one he cared enough about to marry . We weren't there and lord knows Anything and everything has been written . For the most part he was well loved and liked by most . People had more Respect back then than now we'll never know what was to be except another Kennedy murdered 5 years later..
Actually the marriage of Kennedy and Jackie was encouraged by Kennedy's father who was interested in having at least one of his son's becoming president. Jackie and Kennedy were assumed by the public to be the perfect couple. It was a strange relationship. Kennedy was free to have sex with numerous women and Jackie may have also had a lover or two on the side. Kennedy used Jackie to help him politically as he also did his children. Both Jack and Bobby Kennedy had had affairs with Marilyn Monroe and that relationship was threatening to become a serious problem for both of the Kennedy brothers when Monroe died under suspicious circumstances. Some say that Kennedy used his connection with the Mafia boss of Chicago, Sam Giancano to have her "hit." Again, it was a strange relationship. Jackie and the kids would spend weeks away from the Whitehouse while Jack had daily servicing around the white house swimming pool and in Jackie's bedroom. Yet, there seemed be some love between the two of them.
In the know

Harrodsburg, KY

#20 Nov 23, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
It is not that every assassination propels a leader to greatness. It is when he or she is assassinated and what he or she had accomplished before the assassination and could have happened after the assassination. Three problems would have troubled a living Kennedy. 1. Vietnam. Vietnam spun out of control for Johnsobn and it is unlikely that Kennedy could have handled it differently. 2. Johnson accomplished more for civil rights than Kennedy. Had Kennedy followed through on civil rights as Johnson did he would have faced the same criticism as Johnson did in the south. 3. Kennedy's womanizing was known by Hollywood and the media, but he was being protected. As Vietnam clouded the Kennedy persona the press would have backed off from protecting and the public would be exposed to the President's philandering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hit and Run 3 hr hippie 7
I hate loud pickup trucks 4 hr Peace and Quiet 19
Laura Goode Photography? 4 hr Dennis Wofford 7
Dennis Wofford 4 hr Dennis Wofford 8
sca (Nov '16) 6 hr Unity 26
Chumpers new song 7 hr hippie 85
Hillary- most hated woman in America 7 hr hippie 4

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance