Central Kentucky

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Again it doesn't mention anything about Harrodsburg or anyone from Harrodsburg, except to say that Ralph Ross, the state trooper who is one of the main characters lived on dry branch Rd as a child. But I'm sure that you are correct in that several mercer countians probably were involved in some way. The book focuses on a drug and weapons smuggling operation that grew to involve corrupt law enforcemant officers, DEA agents, politicians, people in the Lexington horse industry, and also everyday folk as well. Any body that gree up here in mercer county knows what was being flown in at the old airport ( Anderson dean park) and who all was involved. And who went away, and who didn't. It would be real interesting to know to what extent it was related, and if it even was at all. I do not know. But the book is very interesting and is a great read. I would love know and to hear what people have to say about what extent some of the things that were goin on around here had to do with what the book deals with because I'm sure there is a connection among some of these individuals, although nothing is mentioned in the book. It was a massive operation and I'm sure it only deals with the big players who were involved.
abecee

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Priss wrote:
My Moms cuz was involved n is talked about in the book. Roger Bernard was his name. R.I.P Roger!
My goodness that name sounds familiar ! Was he a body guard , weight lifter ? I know I've heard that name ( or I Think I have ) I just thought of who said his name but would rather not say on here. The person isn't alive anymore, anyway. Was a Fmr employee of IBM for a while.
debby

Clark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

To Central ky ; Don't pay any mind to the digser person. He is rude and no manners. Getting back to the book I've read a little , got sidetracked so I'm goin to start reading again. My brother is in upstate New york & he has a couple of friends that are getting started on it.. I think there are more of mercer countians involved with this story than some care to admit.
ajay

Clark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

never heard of it till I read this thread. May have to check it out, sounds damn interesting .
Central Kentucky

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Debby im sure you are correct. The book doesn't mention anybody from around here but I'm sure there were some people around here that were involved in some way. A Marajauna smuggling operation of this magnitude had to involve a lot of people and I'm sure some of mercer county's good old boys were doing there part to help out any way they could!
ajay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

onetruedigger wrote:
Its a nice fantasy, that hburg was involved with something important. go ahead and enjoy it in lieu of anything concrete to believe in.
hey fat dude , why don't you go & do whatever it is u do ? But then this it.. No job. Ppl are trying to have a discussion minus a smartass. I think its interesting if u don't..
abecee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

Centrl Ky ; yeah , I agree with you & deb. There was major marijuana movement in this town in the 70s & 80s..its bound to have went to some big money folks located in lexington .after that it went probaly to Fla & wherever else. As the saying goes, it takes money to make money. What little I read , the Thornton guy had a connection near Dominican Republic but I may be wrong .
abecee

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2013

he had been a lawyer for a short amount of time but he was disbarred ( thornton. ) .
jojo63

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

abecee wrote:
<quoted text> My goodness that name sounds familiar ! Was he a body guard , weight lifter ? I know I've heard that name ( or I Think I have ) I just thought of who said his name but would rather not say on here. The person isn't alive anymore, anyway. Was a Fmr employee of IBM for a while.
Yes, he was pretty much everything you said......yes he passed away several years ago....cancer......
abecee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

jojo63 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he was pretty much everything you said......yes he passed away several years ago....cancer......
did you say he was your cousin ? I'm sorry for your loss. Yes, my friends husband knew him ( Roger ). I heard him mention his name a few.
rachel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

I have tried to find the book freefall, would you have any more info about it, maybe the author. Thankd
Central Kentucky

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

Well may be, but I still stand firm with all my original comments. Roger Barnard may have been from Harrodsburg, but it doesn't mention it in the book in any manner whatso ever. In my earlier post I said it doesn't mention Anything about Harrodsburg or anyone from Harrodsburg. And it doesn't. Except ti mention Ralph Ross lived in Dry Branch Rd as a child. He may have been from here, but it doesn't mention it in the book at all. It also never identifies him as a hit man in any of the murders mentioned in the book. He is simple referred to as Bradley Bryant's bodyguard. Now who knows what all he was involved in, but it never mentions anything about him as being a hit man.
the man

Danville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2013

why don't you stupid as- ppl in h-burg think about it from 75 to 84 the airport was a drop off place and a lot of ship of drug by the sheriff dept and the city cops so try to find out who was the sheriff before sheriff burns and the police cheif and mayor at the same time and see don't you come up with names like conover , landum , freeman , and deans just think about where and how your local law enforcer live the good as they did on about 125.000 a week and end up with a lot of money in the bank some of them are dead and some has move away and some are still here and alot of ppl knows what they did ,,,, sheriff k. burns and r. anderson did not have one damn thing to do with it and your sheriff at the present was there but did not take part in it believe it ppl i send the video with all of them on it when they went down in the 80s and i can call a lot of name in the video of ppl on it that are living a low life style and got the scare of a life time ... some day it will come out and it will shock a lot of kids that was young at the time ,,, where do you think paul cornish got all his money from [ not from working or lanudary mats ] . HAY DIGGER YOU ARE STILL CARRY IT RIGHT ON BUT GOT IT HIDE PRETTY DAMN GOOD BUT YOUR DAY WILL COME .
commom sense

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Central Kentucky wrote:
Well may be, but I still stand firm with all my original comments. Roger Barnard may have been from Harrodsburg, but it doesn't mention it in the book in any manner whatso ever. In my earlier post I said it doesn't mention Anything about Harrodsburg or anyone from Harrodsburg. And it doesn't. Except ti mention Ralph Ross lived in Dry Branch Rd as a child. He may have been from here, but it doesn't mention it in the book at all. It also never identifies him as a hit man in any of the murders mentioned in the book. He is simple referred to as Bradley Bryant's bodyguard. Now who knows what all he was involved in, but it never mentions anything about him as being a hit man.
You are wrong. It says that Ralph Ross attended Harrodsburg High School.
Central Kentucky

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Ok you are correct. I went back and checked and it does say that Ralph Ross attended a one room school house in nearby Harrodsburg and later attended Harrodsburg High. That's it. My posts were simply responses to the questions on here people had about wether this book had anything to do with Harrodsburg, or anybody from around here, and I still stand firm that no it doesn't. Yea it mentions He attended Harrodsburg high. Big deal. Your splitting hairs here. I have heard so many times over the years from people who live in the community that it's about Harrodsburg, or it's about the drug activity around here in the late 70's and early 80's, or it mentions this name and that name. No it doesn't. Not at all. We're some of the things goin on around here connected? Yea I'd say they there's a good possibility some locals were involved down the line quite a ways. But the book is about the criminal activities of Andrew carter thornton and Bradley Bryant and their associates that became known as The Company. Which were mainly weapons and drug smuggling. That's it. It's a great book.
Everyone

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Just read the book before making judgment!
abecee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

To ,The Man, what u say is interesting. I don't really know who the sheriff was here during those yrs you mentioned or other ppl. I'm trying to remember but I was living someplace else for a while so i don't really know. The 1st time I went in new courthouse here, I couldn't help but notice a pic of all the lawyers & judge I think takn in late 70s. interesting.
Wily

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

to the Man , what do you mean saying "Diggers day will come " ???? From what little I read not to many like the guy.
commom sense

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Wily wrote:
to the Man , what do you mean saying "Diggers day will come " ???? From what little I read not to many like the guy.
No one likes him.
Vic

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

I do

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Le Jimbo 150,870
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 37 min LMS 838
hannah fenwick 2 hr heard 1
gloria hamlin 10 hr happy 5
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 14 hr Ancient Wolf 81,594
mitch hensley 16 hr slim 5
Hitachi 16 hr Hunter 4

Search the Harrodsburg Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg Jobs

•••