Mercer Schools schedule expensive fie...

Mercer Schools schedule expensive field trips

Posted in the Harrodsburg Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Let us be fair

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Jun 26, 2014
The Mercer County school system has done it again. In fact, they have added another grade to the expensive field trips. I am all for field trips, if the total cost is not placed upon the parent or the community. According to the Harrodsburg Herald the 7th graders will be going to Chicago at a cost of $239 each. The 6th graders will be going to Louisville at a cost of $163 each. Sounds great, but the catch is that parents have to shell out this amount and if they are too poor their kid has to make up this money or stay home. Assuming that there will be about 240 kids in each grade, the total cost for the 7th graders will be $57,360.00 and $39,120 for the 6th graders. If these trips have educational value, and I believe that they do this school board must make an effort to pay the total cost of all children whose parents are unable to fork over these amounts or unable to earn the money by soliciting from the community. I expect there will be parents who will shell out the money because they can, children begging for money at our doors or worse than that some poor kids who will be left out.

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#2 Jun 26, 2014
Let us be fair wrote:
The Mercer County school system has done it again. In fact, they have added another grade to the expensive field trips. I am all for field trips, if the total cost is not placed upon the parent or the community. According to the Harrodsburg Herald the 7th graders will be going to Chicago at a cost of $239 each. The 6th graders will be going to Louisville at a cost of $163 each. Sounds great, but the catch is that parents have to shell out this amount and if they are too poor their kid has to make up this money or stay home. Assuming that there will be about 240 kids in each grade, the total cost for the 7th graders will be $57,360.00 and $39,120 for the 6th graders. If these trips have educational value, and I believe that they do this school board must make an effort to pay the total cost of all children whose parents are unable to fork over these amounts or unable to earn the money by soliciting from the community. I expect there will be parents who will shell out the money because they can, children begging for money at our doors or worse than that some poor kids who will be left out.
And if the school paid for it then you'd be hearing people bitching about tax dollars.
Let us be fair

Harrodsburg, KY

#3 Jun 26, 2014
Yes, some would be against tax dollars being spent on field trips, just as some are against tax dollars going to coaches that don't teach and expensive in door practice facilities. But these trips are educational and that really is the purpose of schools. I have no problem with having those parents who can afford the $239/$163 pay the bill. I think that it is wrong to punish kids because their parents are poor. Yes, some may be able to earn the money, but there will be some who simply will not be able to do that. If they are to be singled out and left to attend school on the days when the other kids are off at Chicago or Louisville a disservice will be done to these children. If the school approves such trips they should make arrangements for those poor kids. Keep in mind that many people who are not poor will have to dig deep to come up with this money and that next year's sixth graders will be taking the Chicago trip when they are older and parents will have to shell out not once but twice.
Redbook

Lebanon, KY

#4 Jun 26, 2014
Check with the state and the "Red Book" restrictions on field trips. I am pretty sure that every child can go even if they can't pay. If it is a "class trip" no one can be excluded. Now how it will be paid for is another issue.
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#5 Jun 27, 2014
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
And if the school paid for it then you'd be hearing people bitching about tax dollars.
For once, we actually agree.
H Jenkins

Harrodsburg, KY

#6 Jun 27, 2014
Redbook wrote:
Check with the state and the "Red Book" restrictions on field trips. I am pretty sure that every child can go even if they can't pay. If it is a "class trip" no one can be excluded. Now how it will be paid for is another issue.
I did find this statement in the "Redbook." "Individuals choosing not to participate in a fund raiser shall not be excluded from benefits from the fundraiser in any way." This may or may not apply since this statement refers to booster clubs raising money. According to the news source kids will be provided opportunities to participate in fund raising activities. I take that to mean that poor kids will be given the opportunity to go door to door selling and begging. Parents not wanting to pay these fees for school sponsored field trips would be wise to take this rule up with the superintendent and/or school board. The last that I heard the boy's basketball team had not covered their expenses on the Bahama trip. According to the Red Book "School activity funds shall not reimburse external support/booster expended for ANY PURPOSE." Wonder how that came out?
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#7 Jun 27, 2014
H Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text> I did find this statement in the "Redbook." "Individuals choosing not to participate in a fund raiser shall not be excluded from benefits from the fundraiser in any way." This may or may not apply since this statement refers to booster clubs raising money. According to the news source kids will be provided opportunities to participate in fund raising activities. I take that to mean that poor kids will be given the opportunity to go door to door selling and begging. Parents not wanting to pay these fees for school sponsored field trips would be wise to take this rule up with the superintendent and/or school board. The last that I heard the boy's basketball team had not covered their expenses on the Bahama trip. According to the Red Book "School activity funds shall not reimburse external support/booster expended for ANY PURPOSE." Wonder how that came out?
There are a limited number of slots for the trips. It not like the entire 6th or 7th grade will be going. They do this every year. No big deal. It's a first come, first served basis as long as the kids are academically and behaviorally qualified. All you have to do is go to the school system website to find info.
H Jenkins

Harrodsburg, KY

#8 Jun 27, 2014
The school board approves these trips. The school announces the expense per child. The trips are designed to be both entertaining and educational. It is a big deal. I assume that the kids will be gone on school days. The cost eliminates some children. Telling the poor that the school will provide them the opportunity to use school provided avenues to make money from the community is a poor way to solve this problem. I did go to the school website and can only find that students must be academically and behaviorally qualified. I can find no word on leaving out kids because they cannot pay the fee. Can you enlighten the public?
H Jenkins

Harrodsburg, KY

#9 Jun 27, 2014
Nutz wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a limited number of slots for the trips. It not like the entire 6th or 7th grade will be going. They do this every year. No big deal. It's a first come, first served basis as long as the kids are academically and behaviorally qualified. All you have to do is go to the school system website to find info.
Furthermore, if you are correct about the limited number of slots, that within itself discriminates against those kids who are left out. I can see a club taking a field trip on a week end. I can even see expenses charged to students for such trips since joining a club is voluntary and students will not be missing valuable class time. But if eligibility includes the entire 7th and 8th grade classes and some go and others must stay, then this is a bad thing, IMO for any school system to do. Imagine the things that those who can't go will miss and imagine their humiliation when the lucky ones talk about the wonderful time they had out of school.
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#10 Jun 27, 2014
H Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text> Furthermore, if you are correct about the limited number of slots, that within itself discriminates against those kids who are left out. I can see a club taking a field trip on a week end. I can even see expenses charged to students for such trips since joining a club is voluntary and students will not be missing valuable class time. But if eligibility includes the entire 7th and 8th grade classes and some go and others must stay, then this is a bad thing, IMO for any school system to do. Imagine the things that those who can't go will miss and imagine their humiliation when the lucky ones talk about the wonderful time they had out of school.
What a load of crap. There is no discrimination. These trips are voluntary. No one forces anyone to go. There is no humiliation.
wondering

Harrodsburg, KY

#11 Jun 27, 2014
Out of curiousity, where is it the children are going, when, and how long will they be staying? What is the educational advantage the children will be receiving from the field trip , and is the " educational value" worth the time, money, and risk ( I would be cautious of my child traveling that far by bus) of taking so many children on the field trip in the first place ? I also read someone say it is a first come first served situation and there are a limited number of slots, so your'e saying that if a wealthy child wanted to attend after all the slots were filled that the school would say no ? I think not, the school would gladly accept the child's money, it's amazing where status and money will get you in the Mercer school system. This is only being said in hopes that the parents of the less fortunate children will read that and believe their bullsh*t. I don't have a child in the Mercer Co. school system but am well aware of what having money will do for certain children that go there . All the other ones should have to deal with it because " that's just how the world works" as I heard an affluent parent of a certain child going on the trip say. My children go to a private academy where we set up a fund for field trips and the like so if a child/children couldn't afford to go , they are given the full or partial ammount needed. I do understand there are far too many children and not enough people financially able to do this at Mercer , I just wish there was a way for the less fortunate kids to not be discriminated against when things like this come up. Maybe pick a certain ammount of children who can't pay but are on top academically or provide an alternate LESS EXPENSIVE trip for the rest of the children to go on. I don't have the solution, i just hate for any child to be left out or made to feel less important than others.
curious

Mount Sterling, KY

#12 Jun 27, 2014
I remember all the supporters of merging Harrodsburg and Mercer school systems telling us that the biggest benefit would be the plentiful funding it would create.. It seems that our schools financially are much worse off.. If this is an educational trip , all students should be able to go regardless of their parents financial status..
Seems to me

Lexington, KY

#13 Jun 27, 2014
If they can come up with money for all this then it is time to give IA's a raise. Sometimes/A lot of times the aides do more than the teachers. Just saying.
H Jenkins

Harrodsburg, KY

#14 Jun 27, 2014
Nutz wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of crap. There is no discrimination. These trips are voluntary. No one forces anyone to go. There is no humiliation.
What have you been smoking? The school board approved the trips, thereby agreeing that these trips are educational. The school board also approved a fee that must be paid by parents if the child is allowed to go. The fact that there is a substantial fee is discrimination. Have you ever been a poor child? Can you relate to how a child left out of such an educational and fun trip will feel? That is pure humiliation. Nutz, do you agree that schools exist to educate ALL children? Earlier I asked you to print the Mercer County policy on fees for school board approved trips. I would especially like to see where it says that kids are to be left out if they can't pay a trip fee for school days trips.
Bobby S

Harrodsburg, KY

#15 Jun 27, 2014
curious wrote:
I remember all the supporters of merging Harrodsburg and Mercer school systems telling us that the biggest benefit would be the plentiful funding it would create.. It seems that our schools financially are much worse off.. If this is an educational trip , all students should be able to go regardless of their parents financial status..
I agree with you. Seems the schools are worse off today that they were before the merger. But the thing that I really agree is your statement about all students being able to go regardless of their parent's financial status. After all the Harrodsburg Herald listed all the things these kids will be seeing especially in Chicago. It would be a shame if only the wealthy could go.
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#16 Jun 27, 2014
H Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text> What have you been smoking? The school board approved the trips, thereby agreeing that these trips are educational. The school board also approved a fee that must be paid by parents if the child is allowed to go. The fact that there is a substantial fee is discrimination. Have you ever been a poor child? Can you relate to how a child left out of such an educational and fun trip will feel? That is pure humiliation. Nutz, do you agree that schools exist to educate ALL children? Earlier I asked you to print the Mercer County policy on fees for school board approved trips. I would especially like to see where it says that kids are to be left out if they can't pay a trip fee for school days trips.
What don't you understand about voluntary? No one has to go. No one may go. The Board approved the trips. Approved is different that requiring a student to attend it.

It's not discrimination for someone not being able to afford something.
bleep

Harrodsburg, KY

#17 Jun 27, 2014
They don't send kids door to door begging either. Last year the Kona Ice truck came to school on multiple occasions and money made from that went towards the trip. There's lots of planning involved and a $50 down payment. They work with those who need extra time to pay.
I wish people would learn to pick battles worth fighting over!
mighty oak

Frankfort, KY

#18 Jun 27, 2014
Way back, prior to merger, my kid went to New York with KMS 8th grade. Totally optional. Done over spring break so no missed class time. We made 3 or 4 payments of like $175. They flew. Had a charter bus and guide while there. All meals included and NO school money used and no one was made to go. Get over yourself. These type trips are 100% optionally
Graduate of HHS

Harrodsburg, KY

#19 Jun 27, 2014
Nutz wrote:
<quoted text>
What don't you understand about voluntary? No one has to go. No one may go. The Board approved the trips. Approved is different that requiring a student to attend it.
It's not discrimination for someone not being able to afford something.
You are full of it. These are sixth and seventh grade children. Who would not want to go on a field trips like this. It would be a wonderful experience, if you have the money. This is not like adults doing without things that others have because of poverty. Fool, this ain't about volunteering. Do you know what discrimination is? It is having your school approve an educational trip and telling those who want to go that they have got to come up with what is a great deal of money for some people. It is about punishing children because they are poor.
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#20 Jun 27, 2014
Graduate of HHS wrote:
<quoted text> You are full of it. These are sixth and seventh grade children. Who would not want to go on a field trips like this. It would be a wonderful experience, if you have the money. This is not like adults doing without things that others have because of poverty. Fool, this ain't about volunteering. Do you know what discrimination is? It is having your school approve an educational trip and telling those who want to go that they have got to come up with what is a great deal of money for some people. It is about punishing children because they are poor.
It's not discrimination no matter how much you want to try to spin it to be. No one is being punished because they are poor. Get over yourself.

If you don't think it's fair, get over it. Life isn't fair.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fair 45 min Failure 2
Did maegan Sims and Zac lay win parent of the y... 8 hr bass 10
Stolen stihl concrete saw 9 hr I spy 4
The All-Seeing Eye 17 hr The right way 7
Jason derousse 18 hr Tired 2
boyle county detention center (Sep '11) 23 hr Amy baugh 96
Looking for Samantha Clark Mon Dwright 3

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance