Horace Huffington

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

The national media is in a huff. Mat Liaar on the Today Show is raving because she did not come be grilled on his show.

Her crime? She admitted, when asked, that she had once used the N word and she once had black men dress in dress suits and serve a meal.

What person, black or white, has not used the N word? In Deen's case...the question should be is she a racist NOW?

It was the Today Show which altered the Zimmerman 991 tape in order to make this "white Hispanic" look like a racist.(if Zimmerman is a white Hispanic is Obama a white black?

What is racism? It is what we are now or what was before MLK?
Once the Harrodsburg Theater had black kids sit in the balcony and white kids sit on the bottom floor. Clearly that was racism. But were the kids racist because the watched Roy Rogers or the Durango Kid on separate floors?
Question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Horace Huffington wrote:
The national media is in a huff. Mat Liaar on the Today Show is raving because she did not come be grilled on his show.
Her crime? She admitted, when asked, that she had once used the N word and she once had black men dress in dress suits and serve a meal.
What person, black or white, has not used the N word? In Deen's case...the question should be is she a racist NOW?
It was the Today Show which altered the Zimmerman 991 tape in order to make this "white Hispanic" look like a racist.(if Zimmerman is a white Hispanic is Obama a white black?
What is racism? It is what we are now or what was before MLK?
Once the Harrodsburg Theater had black kids sit in the balcony and white kids sit on the bottom floor. Clearly that was racism. But were the kids racist because the watched Roy Rogers or the Durango Kid on separate floors?
I don't think she's racist . I know she was in the headlines a few years back over being diabetic & not admitting to it plus promoting some medicines I believe . I Never , Ever used that N word though there were a couple of the older men in the family that did & my Mother was quick to shush them ! I always cringed hearing someone saying 'that ' word .
Funnie99

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Who cares ? They call themselves that crap all the time ! What's the difference ? If they want people to stop saying it then stop using it in every damn rap song on the planet ! I don't judge cause of skin color ! Personally I'm more disturbed about BET TV and JET magazine or the NAACP ! Oh hell if we had WET or an all white college fund u would never hear the end of it ! I'm sick of this crap ! It's reverse racism and its a load of crap ! There's a Black President ! If this country is so racist then how'd he get in the WhiteHouse ?
Can not we all get along

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Question wrote:
<quoted text> I don't think she's racist . I know she was in the headlines a few years back over being diabetic & not admitting to it plus promoting some medicines I believe . I Never , Ever used that N word though there were a couple of the older men in the family that did & my Mother was quick to shush them ! I always cringed hearing someone saying 'that ' word .
I would really like for an African American to consider your comments and respond. Yes, I have heard African Americans use this word and when I am forced to listen to rap I hear it all the time.
Please, Mr. or Mrs. African American, why is it so bad that Deen admits to using the word in the past and once had a so called Plantation Party with paid servers. If that offends you, please tell me why is ok for rappers to use the word...and as my son says for African American teens to shout the word at one another in the hall way of he local school.(He says that it happens all the time)
I am not trying to put African Americans on the spot, but me, being white makes it very hard to see the black point.
Vivek Golikeri

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

She may or may not be a racist. But unless she committed an actual violation of law, like a hate crime or a civil rights violation, I honestly don't care. I witness so much intolerance and narrow-mindedness BY blacks all the time, but few make a noise about that bigotry.
Angelica D

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

"African Americans" give me a break! They are no more African than I am French. I am a direct descendent of French immigrants but I do not refer to me or any of my family as "French American", only "AMERICAN"
...Stupid tolerence BS
Whitey

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

This is so ignorant. First of all, not liking racism is understandable, and if you feel so strongly about it, get involved with groups that are working to break down those walls. If it doesn't work, there's nothing you can do, they're just going to be racist. Let them be ignorant.

Second, one of the biggest problems is that black people DO get offended. I'm white, yes. Call me white instead of Caucasian, fine by me. Call me honkey, moon baby, cracker, powder, and I'm just going to thank you for stating the obvious. When you don't respond to racist remarks, they have no power. By making a fuss, you allow them power over you. If you respect your ancestors, why not be proud to be called the same name? Take the "N" word back and make it something positive. Make a movie about it. Have a nationwide movement, have pride in something historical. And get over it. The rest of the world will too. Lead the way.
true blue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

well , what does that " word " mean ? I know its in all the rap music along with other stuff that is so belittling to women . I've got other opinions but i'll not discuss it on here.. Whoppi Goldberg said on TV that she went to africa . She came back and said " I'm an American !" she kind of made it sound like she was none too pleased about Africa .
Know what to do

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

What part of Africa is America in anyway
haha

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

get the f??k over it you are " n " and always will be " n " to me until the day i die ,,, just like the word " WET BACK " THEY WILL ALWAYS BE MEXICAN "
haha

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

ppl to show these as-hole stop watch the today show with laair and " n " al and don't stop or shop at KOHL'S anymore that carrys the food network product and you got to make and F ?? KING stand ppl or our damn country is gone i mean gone for good ,,,,,,,, stand up for paula and show them that we are real america ppl that lives in this country ,,,
Phil Dees

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

She came from nothing, worked hard and became successful. That, coupled with the fact that she is white and her children are not bi-racial does qualify her to be labeled a racist in America. The people who point fingers and scream "racist" are more often than not self serving profiteers and not true seekers of equality in America.
SNL

Greenfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

I grew up hearing my grandfather use the "n word". My Dad did too, until I started bringing my black friends around, and he got to know and like them. When he realized what an insult it was he stopped using the word. Paula Deen probably grew up hearing it, too. It was in her vocabulary, but
that doesn't mean she consciously applied the word to every black person she encountered.

It's my understanding that she used the word when referring to a black man who had held a gun to her head during a bank robbery. Even though I abhor the word, if I was as scared and mad as she must have been, I can't honestly say I wouldn't use it either. After the panic and anger had passed, of course I'd regret using it. My point is, during moments of extreme stress, or in recalling that stress, it's understandable to use language that we wouldn't normally use. That doesn't mean someone's racist, it just means they're freaked out.

There are plenty of real racists around, but based solely on this incident I won't label Paula Deen as one.
SNL

Greenfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Whitey wrote:
This is so ignorant. First of all, not liking racism is understandable, and if you feel so strongly about it, get involved with groups that are working to break down those walls. If it doesn't work, there's nothing you can do, they're just going to be racist. Let them be ignorant.
Second, one of the biggest problems is that black people DO get offended. I'm white, yes. Call me white instead of Caucasian, fine by me. Call me honkey, moon baby, cracker, powder, and I'm just going to thank you for stating the obvious. When you don't respond to racist remarks, they have no power. By making a fuss, you allow them power over you. If you respect your ancestors, why not be proud to be called the same name? Take the "N" word back and make it something positive. Make a movie about it. Have a nationwide movement, have pride in something historical. And get over it. The rest of the world will too. Lead the way.
I agree with some of your points, and "moon baby" cracked me up. Never heard that one before. I don't think this is "ignorant" though, because it's started a dialogue about racism, which needs to be addressed as often as possible. Racism won't go away in our lifetime, but we can chip away at it when given an opportunity.

I also think blacks have every right to be offended by the "n word" when it's used by another race. It was and is historically used as an insult, and the connotations are disparaging. It's been explained to me by friends that by calling other blacks "n", they are, as you said, reclaiming it and making it their own. Quite a few, though, especially the ones my age, don't like the word either, no matter whose mouth it comes out of.

I hope you don't take offense to this, because I truly mean none, but one of your statements has me curious. To me, "white trash" has the same negative connotations as "n". If someone called you "white trash", would you be offended?
Stefania

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

I am really questioning whether it was the "racism" thing that kept food network from renewing her contract. It might have been that after the whole diabetes backlash this new controversy could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.
I'd bet that they looked at this issue, as well as the diabetes brouhaha and then weighed in a few other factors like ratings, and the fact that she's done her do. She's pretty much a one-trick pony, and has just about worn that trick out! There are only so many ways you can put more grease and sugar into classic southern comfort food!!

Besides, let's face it, this really isn't going to hurt the old gal any...she's become a household name and has made BANK from the show, the restaurant, the endorsements and all the cookbooks and merchandise. Heck, I think I've even seen bed linens and things like that with her name on them. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, Paula Deen has more money that Davy Crockett. Even if the cash cow dried up tomorrow, I doubt if she's going to be rolling change to buy gas anytime soon!

As for racist, like SNL, I grew up hearing that word from the mouths of older men in my family....and since she and I are from the same neck of the woods that's not that surprising. I think most of us of a certain age who grew up in this area heard that word used as a generic term for people of color; I'm not saying that that makes it right, I'm just saying that for certain regions at certain times in the past that's just the way it was.

SNL, do you remember the old guy who used to roam around downtown when we were little kids? He was a rather eccentric character, and he was always very well dressed and friendly and had a very flowery and elegant manner of speaking. Anyway, he was known as "N-word Joe". I last remember seeing him as a child of around ten, so who knows how he felt about that moniker.

Racism is an ugly thing, and I think it's probably going to be at least another generation or two before it quits being such a sensitive and divisive issue in this country.

Now, can we do a little digging into the backgrounds of Rachel Ray and Giada deLaurentis? They really get on my nerves too, and the sooner they're off my tv with their raspy voice (RR) and enormous head (GdL) the better!!
Whitey

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

SNL wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with some of your points, and "moon baby" cracked me up. Never heard that one before. I don't think this is "ignorant" though, because it's started a dialogue about racism, which needs to be addressed as often as possible. Racism won't go away in our lifetime, but we can chip away at it when given an opportunity.
I also think blacks have every right to be offended by the "n word" when it's used by another race. It was and is historically used as an insult, and the connotations are disparaging. It's been explained to me by friends that by calling other blacks "n", they are, as you said, reclaiming it and making it their own. Quite a few, though, especially the ones my age, don't like the word either, no matter whose mouth it comes out of.
I hope you don't take offense to this, because I truly mean none, but one of your statements has me curious. To me, "white trash" has the same negative connotations as "n". If someone called you "white trash", would you be offended?
To be called white trash would probably amuse me about the same as if someone called me a stinky white-faced saki monkey. Both would have the same effect because neither are true and they're both juvenile.

I thought what you mentioned about them "taking it back" by letting those of their own race use it but not others is a good point. The only problem is that with ending racism, equality has to come into play, and by saying they can take that word, skew it, call each other by the name, but no one else can is reversing the role on the bus. If we're working at racial equality as a whole, we have to mesh fully, with all parts having the same rights and freedoms.

My point was that racist words aren't natural, they are created. Those letters in that order should have no power over anyone... it's really no more than six measly little letters, and far too often people get angry and shave minutes off of their life with stress over six letters. If we all stopped taking everything so personally none of this would be a problem. Give it the same reaction as being called a person, and it only holds the same amount of power. When anyone calls someone by a racial slur, they are trying to get a reaction, and it's usually successful. Don't grant them that satisfaction.
Wow

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Okay, just to lighten the tone here for a minute. I was reading Whitey's last response and I got to the line "Those letters in that order should have no power over anyone... it's really no more than six measly little letters" and being a word geek who does too many puzzles I immediately started rearranging those six offensive little letters. LOL The first word I came up with was GINGER....which isn't as inflammatory as the other one, but I know a few redheads who'd take issue with being called that by the wrong person. I know I'm dragging this way off topic, but that made me LOL and I just had to share.
yeah

Harrodsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Know what to do wrote:
What part of Africa is America in anyway
We are not part of africa, American is owned by China.
justaguy

Wasilla, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Paula is not a racist. It is impossible to be a racist if you are a white person. White women are being raped every year in the tens of thousands by blacks. White men are being murdered by the thousands every year by blacks. In return we do nothing. If we even have the temerity to mention it we're called fascist. Fact is blacks rape and murder us like we are sub human. Whites are facing a genocide in this country and a couple jokes by a cook doesn't make her a racist. To deserve that tag we would need to rape and murder more blacks then they do us.
stefania

Marysville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Wow. I just....don't even know what to say to that..... besides wow.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Harrodsburg Forum right now

Search the Harrodsburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 15 min Gizz 81,561
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 23 min DemocRATS 146,029
Cynthia Gaines 3 hr Annoyed 1
Veteran's Family Says VA Hospital Told Them 'Hi... 3 hr Jaimie 6
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 4 hr Ricky Noya 16,114
john cochran 5 hr John Cochran 19
skeeter reed 5 hr walker 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Harrodsburg People Search