Do you support a "fairness ordinance"...

Do you support a "fairness ordinance" in Harrodsburg similar to Frankfort?

Created by Henry Gale on Oct 24, 2013

29 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

I'm Unsure

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Henry Gale

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Oct 24, 2013
See story for details if you don't understand what a fairness ordinance is.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/08/29/2793289/fr...

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#2 Oct 28, 2013
Absolutely support. Sexual orientation is no reason to fire someone or refuse them service or housing.
Hambone

Harrodsburg, KY

#3 Oct 29, 2013
It is the coming thing. I suppose it will pass here as well.

I do not believe in discriminating against anyone. When homosexuality is concerned my opinion is that what one does in the bedroom is no body's business except those who participate. But it should stay in the bedroom.

People who own and operate businesses which depend on the public for profit must consider how their employees react with the public. Should a flaming homosexual react with customers in such a way to chase them away I believe that the employer has a right to fire that person. Ditto a cross dresser who would be so obvious as to insult a customer.

If a fairness ordinance means simply treating employees and customers with fairness and courtesy I am all for it. If a fairness ordinance means forcing an employer to continue to employ a person who has demonstrated a distraction I would be against it.

Baltimore, Maryland

#4 Oct 29, 2013
Hambone wrote:
I do not believe in discriminating against anyone. When homosexuality is concerned my opinion is that what one does in the bedroom is no body's business except those who participate. But it should stay in the bedroom.
So you're against all forms of public affection regardless of the couples sexual orientation?
Hambone

Harrodsburg, KY

#5 Oct 29, 2013
In regard to public affection. Kissing, feeling each other up etc belongs in the bed room for both hetro and homo sexual couples.

I have no problem with homosexual couples. That is their business. A man and a woman French kissing on the sidewalks of Harrodsburg is repulsive. The couple should have enough respect for themselves and the public to keep their private things private. The same thing goes for two guys or two females.

Baltimore, Maryland

#6 Oct 29, 2013
Hambone wrote:
In regard to public affection. Kissing, feeling each other up etc belongs in the bed room for both hetro and homo sexual couples.
I have no problem with homosexual couples. That is their business. A man and a woman French kissing on the sidewalks of Harrodsburg is repulsive. The couple should have enough respect for themselves and the public to keep their private things private. The same thing goes for two guys or two females.
So if a young couple came into your store holding hands and he bought her a nice piece of jewelry, said "I love you" and kissed her you would be repulsed and demand that they leave?
Hambone

Harrodsburg, KY

#7 Oct 29, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
So if a young couple came into your store holding hands and he bought her a nice piece of jewelry, said "I love you" and kissed her you would be repulsed and demand that they leave?
You are so silly. No, I would not be repulsed by a couple holding hands and kissing when he gave her a ring.

If he bent her over the counter and ran his tongue down her throat and lifted her dress I would be repulsed just as I would be repulsed by two guys doing the same thing.

Your meander into the foolish has nothing to do with a fairness doctrine. I oppose discrimination, period. But if a gay man wants to work for me, I would expect him to not discuss his homosexuality with every customer that comes in the door. I would likewise expect any heterosexual to avoid commenting on his orientation to everyone that comes in the door. In short do you job and keep private things out of the work place.
Jake

Harrodsburg, KY

#9 Oct 30, 2013
Henry Gale wrote:
See story for details if you don't understand what a fairness ordinance is.
http://www.kentucky.com/2013/08/29/2793289/fr...
Is you one of them or do you just like them?
Henry Gale

Lexington, KY

#10 May 27, 2014
The first reading of the Fairness Ordinance passed in Danville tonight. Now is the time for Harrodsburg to keep up with its "Big Brother." Harrodsburg needs to make this law.
Honest George

Harrodsburg, KY

#11 May 28, 2014
Define fairness.
Henry Gale

Lexington, KY

#12 May 28, 2014
Honest George wrote:
Define fairness.
Like the Frankfort story I linked to. It would prohibiting discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In other words, if your boss found out you were gay, he couldn't fire you for it. Or if your landlord found out you were gay, he couldn't make you move. Or a diner couldn't refuse service to a gay couple.
Honest George

Harrodsburg, KY

#13 Jun 1, 2014
I agree that a lesbian or gay man should not be denied employment, housing or other things because of her or his sexual orientation. However, I do believe that people on a crusade of any sort can cause problems which could lead to him or her losing their housing, job, etc.
Suppose a gay man applied at the local high school. IMO, if he has the best qualifications, he should be hired. If he takes upon himself to defend the gay life style to his students instead of teaching his assigned subjects, I believe that he could become such a distraction that he should be fired. In other words, homosexuals and heterosexuals should do their assigned jobs and leave their private lives private. IMO the same thing applies to housing.
Honest George

Harrodsburg, KY

#14 Jun 1, 2014
Henry Gale wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the Frankfort story I linked to. It would prohibiting discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In other words, if your boss found out you were gay, he couldn't fire you for it. Or if your landlord found out you were gay, he couldn't make you move. Or a diner couldn't refuse service to a gay couple.
Henry, this is where the problem gets sticky. If a gay man or lesbian is hired and then become a distraction either because he or she brings his or her sexual orientation to her job on a daily basis or to give an extreme example, begins to hit on customers, he or she becomes a liability to the employer. What then? IMO, we all have the right to equal emplolyment, housing, etc, but not to the right to complete freedom to do as he or she pleases on the job.
checkers

Lexington, KY

#15 Jun 1, 2014
Honest George wrote:
<quoted text> Henry, this is where the problem gets sticky. If a gay man or lesbian is hired and then become a distraction either because he or she brings his or her sexual orientation to her job on a daily basis or to give an extreme example, begins to hit on customers, he or she becomes a liability to the employer. What then? IMO, we all have the right to equal emplolyment, housing, etc, but not to the right to complete freedom to do as he or she pleases on the job.
Business owners used the same excuse back in the 60's when they could not refuse to hire black people. "They'll cause problems! Customers won't want to be waited on by them! It will hurt my business!"

Please explain how someone's sexual orientation can become a "distraction"?
Henry Gale

Lexington, KY

#16 Jun 1, 2014
Honest George wrote:
I agree that a lesbian or gay man should not be denied employment, housing or other things because of her or his sexual orientation. However, I do believe that people on a crusade of any sort can cause problems which could lead to him or her losing their housing, job, etc.
Suppose a gay man applied at the local high school. IMO, if he has the best qualifications, he should be hired. If he takes upon himself to defend the gay life style to his students instead of teaching his assigned subjects, I believe that he could become such a distraction that he should be fired. In other words, homosexuals and heterosexuals should do their assigned jobs and leave their private lives private. IMO the same thing applies to housing.
The "gay life style" isn't something that needs defending. By next Christmas same sex marriage will be legal in the United States and all the protections and privileges that go with it. So explain what you mean by "defending the gay life style."
Honest George

Harrodsburg, KY

#17 Jun 3, 2014
Henry Gale wrote:
<quoted text>
The "gay life style" isn't something that needs defending. By next Christmas same sex marriage will be legal in the United States and all the protections and privileges that go with it. So explain what you mean by "defending the gay life style."
It should be no body's business what sexual orientation an employee has. What he or she does out of the work environment is the business of the person and not the employer. However, what goes on the job is a different matter. Most sensible gays and lesbians simply do their job and leave their "life style" at home. I am talking about an employee who constantly talks about their gayness and makes that more of an issue than his job. What some gays and lesbians don't understand is that most people don't care and some are offended by an in your face approach. I favor fairness, but no ordinance should tie an employer or housing owner from removing a person who becomes such a detraction that he is hurting business.
Honest George

Harrodsburg, KY

#18 Jun 3, 2014
checkers wrote:
<quoted text>
Business owners used the same excuse back in the 60's when they could not refuse to hire black people. "They'll cause problems! Customers won't want to be waited on by them! It will hurt my business!"
Sexual orientation cannot become a distraction unless it is made a distraction by the person who is employed. In fact, how would most customers even know what orientation an employee had, unless he wishes that orientation to be known. Even then, it would not become a distraction unless the employee became aggressive and made an issue of it. By making an issue, I am talking about hitting on customers or by engaging customer after customer about his or her homosexuality issues. I would feel the same about a person who did the same thing about his or her heterosexuality. Fairness means giving every body equal opportunities not a license to become a problem at work.
cold Snake

United States

#19 Jun 22, 2014
I don't like ppl getting down in front of me. Take it on home and then bring out the toys.
Margaret S Gillwimple

Harrodsburg, KY

#20 Jun 23, 2014
cold Snake wrote:
I don't like ppl getting down in front of me. Take it on home and then bring out the toys.
Gays and lesbians should keep their love lives to themselves. I knew this guy for 15 years and never dreamed that he was gay. One day he flat out told me. Why did I have to know? Why did he have to tell me? I knew that he had a male roommate, but that does not necessary mean that both are gay. There is way too much of being in your face by gays and lesbians. I don't blame people in business not hiring in your face gays. Who wants to know about being gay when you are shopping. If gays and lesbians would mind their own business there would be no need for a fairness ordinance.
Margaret S Gillwimple

Harrodsburg, KY

#21 Jun 23, 2014
checkers wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't look at a man or woman and know if either is homosexual. I am not interested in knowing. Homosexuals should keep what should be private private. How in the world would an employer know if a man or woman is inclined that way. Unless the applicant has a history of causing problems on the job, I say hire people according to their skills, training and work history. Now, if after the person is on the job they begin to make homosexuality an issue, and by an issue I mean constantly annoying customers or other employees by talking about homosexuality or even trying to seduce customers or other employees. In such a case, fire the dude, but expect a law suit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe brown 25 min you off your rocker 9
Info please 3 hr Pst 6
My yard and driveway 6 hr James Harrod 13
Tate 16 hr Uhhh 7
When Trump Loses, What Excuse Will You Use? (Jun '16) 17 hr matt foley 208
Megan Kettles 23 hr Tootalljones 24
Look into my eyes.... Fri luke 12

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance