Ragged Edge Theatre
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
childs mom

Nicholasville, KY

#1 Oct 9, 2008
So for the mothers of Harrodsburg if you child is wanting to get into acting the Ragged Edge Theatre would be a wonderful place to take your child.
lucky me

Lebanon, KY

#2 Oct 9, 2008
yes it is great
little stars

Richmond, KY

#3 Jan 6, 2009
Yes, Ragged Edge is wonderful!
childs mom

Nicholasville, KY

#6 Jan 23, 2009
Ok for one my child was exposed to "those kind of people". I was there everyday for one of the plays that my daughter was in. Believe me they were there from daylight to dark and "those people" like you say were there with my child and in no way did they try to expose her to anything. "Those kind of people" as you say would be there when school was out and later practicing for the play they were in, if you are wondering it was "Snow White and the 47 Dwarves", wonderful play might I add. And my daughter loved it there, the children that are with Ragged Edge puts their life into it. When they are not at the Ragged Edge then they arent, you can't put what they do when they leave the building to what they do when they are at the Ragged Edge. I was there everytime my daughter was, I was backstage and with all the kids. Yeah there is problems when there is alot of kids together, some kids wont stop talking when supposed to and some like to act as if they are more in control that what they really are but all in all the kids there were wonderful when you walked in the door and when you walked out. If "Innocent Bystander" would walk your hind in up into one of the plays that these wonderful children perform in then you might say that you were sorry for judging the Ragged Edge Theatre. So if you wanna see how things are up there and how wonderful of a job that the Ragged Edge does then come to the play that is going on this weekend to watch what a wonderful job these children are doing. They take out time from their everyday life to try to make someone else enjoy theirselves. Give the kids a break and give Ragged Edge a chance. DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, open it up and take a peek.
Yep

Osaka, Japan

#8 Jan 31, 2009
I don't like the theatre anymore. I used to be into it. I went back recently and it's kind of lost its vibe.
Yep

Osaka, Japan

#9 Jan 31, 2009
Well I guess if you can see where I'm from you can guess who it is. I didn't realize that.
actress

Bowling Green, KY

#12 Feb 4, 2009
I did shows at Ragged Edge from age 10 to 18 and I never felt negatively influenced by anyone or anything there. In fact it was a wonderful environment and inspired me to be a theatre major in college. RECT shows are fantastic experiences that promote self-confidence, study skills, communication skills, etc. Not to mention, it's a lot of fun!
Soccer Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#13 Jun 30, 2009
I just heard that the Theatre is having financial trouble. Evidently they can't draw an audience anymore at all.
Wildcat Wayne

Lebanon Junction, KY

#15 Jul 1, 2009
Soccer Mom wrote:
I just heard that the Theatre is having financial trouble. Evidently they can't draw an audience anymore at all.
They are having financial trouble. They have wasted so much time and money on that new lobby, instead of putting it toward the shows. They have decreased in quality beginning with The Best Christmas Pagaent Ever and the last show, Charilie and the Chocolate Factory, was a fiasco. But not only are the shows not pulling in any cash, I saw with my own eyes the Theatre Director, Ellen, take money from the cash box and put it into HER OWN POCKET. Ragged Edge is slowly but surely heading down a path to their own destruction.
Kids Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#16 Jul 1, 2009
Wildcat Wayne wrote:
<quoted text>
They are having financial trouble. They have wasted so much time and money on that new lobby, instead of putting it toward the shows. They have decreased in quality beginning with The Best Christmas Pagaent Ever and the last show, Charilie and the Chocolate Factory, was a fiasco. But not only are the shows not pulling in any cash, I saw with my own eyes the Theatre Director, Ellen, take money from the cash box and put it into HER OWN POCKET. Ragged Edge is slowly but surely heading down a path to their own destruction.
You actually saw that? I had heard some pretty bad things about the people who were running the place right now. And you are right about the shows. They are awful! I'm not taking my kids up there anymore. It's a waste of money. The shows used to be as good as anything you would see in Lexington, but now they are crap.
Wildcat Wayne

Lebanon Junction, KY

#17 Jul 1, 2009
Kids Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
You actually saw that? I had heard some pretty bad things about the people who were running the place right now. And you are right about the shows. They are awful! I'm not taking my kids up there anymore. It's a waste of money. The shows used to be as good as anything you would see in Lexington, but now they are crap.
Its a shame about the shows, think of all the sponsers they have and all of the grant money they get from the city. One would have to believe that they would be able to put on decent shows.
Soccer Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#18 Jul 1, 2009
They get a lot of money from the city and the county. That's where a lot of the restaurant tax went. Wonder how much of that money end up going in Ellen's pocket too? Or Pete Chiericozzi's? It's a shame really. Ragged Edge won't be around too much longer. Why would people give money to these idiots?
Six_Flags

United States

#19 Jul 1, 2009
Remember the Six Flags commercial with that little old guy dancing? That was SOOO funny!
linda hall

United States

#21 Jul 5, 2009
i think it is a good thing for kids .Being on a school bus exposes kids to more than the ragged edge would ever with the new people like britany hall she is wonderful with the kids my girl wants to go back next year
person

Lexington, KY

#25 Jul 8, 2009
let adults perform there! If you want your kid to act, then keep them in school and push for more theatre training out of Mercer schools. The teachers there are TRAINED. Honestly, from an actor, community theatre only reinforces bad habits and is very amateur. If you really want your child to be an actor, let them learn it the right way.
Kids Mom

Harrodsburg, KY

#26 Jul 8, 2009
person wrote:
let adults perform there! If you want your kid to act, then keep them in school and push for more theatre training out of Mercer schools. The teachers there are TRAINED. Honestly, from an actor, community theatre only reinforces bad habits and is very amateur. If you really want your child to be an actor, let them learn it the right way.
With things like they are at Ragged Edge right now I am in total agreement with this post. Ragged Edge is just a community theatre. They have done some good things there in the past. King and I, Snow White, and Dracula come to mind. Those shows were very professional, but in the end it's a place for the little blue haired ladies to go see their neighbors do theatre badly.

Since: Jul 08

Harrodsburg Kentucky

#27 Jul 8, 2009
This entire Ragged Edge thing...

After working in tourism/hospitality for the past three years, I get asked almost every day of the week what there is to do around here. Not once has anyone had any interest in going to the Ragged Edge Theater. Basically from what I have seen, they get the actors' families to come. They also give out droves of tickets.

I don't know if the royalties haven't been paid or not, but this is also something of grave concern.

What I would do is scrap this whole "community theater" thing and go with classic movies. Redesign the theater to give it a "film noir" atmosphere. I'm sure you'd get more people to pay to see Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon on the silver screen than that goofy Shawn Moore playing Tom Sawyer.
koolmom

Danville, KY

#28 Aug 19, 2009
I took my child there to take part in a play and they were calling people and begging them to take the parts because they did not have enough people. They were even asking the parents to play parts for them. The director did not seem to know what he was doing. I don't think they are very proffesional and it seems kind of political to me.
bigblue

Mount Sterling, KY

#31 Sep 4, 2009
koolmom wrote:
I took my child there to take part in a play and they were calling people and begging them to take the parts because they did not have enough people. They were even asking the parents to play parts for them. The director did not seem to know what he was doing. I don't think they are very proffesional and it seems kind of political to me.
Everything is POLITICAL in harrodsburg, but the problem is hillbilly folks believe CULTURE is redwings and tractors and don't forget the rigged pageants, so THE ARTS simply has no place here there is no room for diversity. " THE TRUTH HURTS"
Bob

Toledo, OH

#32 Apr 23, 2010
Maybe if some of the board members were there to work and make something happen things would be different. Most of the board members are there to make sure their children get the lead parts. They are having a major event this weekend and some of the bd members are not attending and are not helping with setup. Soundsl Ike they need to on someone elses board

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dope 1 hr Bear 1
teecuuumbassss 1 hr Shut up b_tch 2
Hate Groups and TWUMP 2 hr Donnie H 12
Harvey hines 2 hr Tecumbas 7
Danielle Davis 3 hr Stay away 4
Homeless, single mother of 3, HELP 4 hr Donnie H 61
hitachi boys (Sep '08) 7 hr Oh ya know 132

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance