Tenant

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Oct 24, 2013
Does anyone know what the law is in Mercer County on the return of your security deposit? I have contacted the court and Mercer only goes by KRS and not the Landlord Tenant Act. I cannot find anything about security deposits.

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#2 Oct 24, 2013
Tenant wrote:
Does anyone know what the law is in Mercer County on the return of your security deposit? I have contacted the court and Mercer only goes by KRS and not the Landlord Tenant Act. I cannot find anything about security deposits.
Yes. You will find the answer regarding your security deposit in your lease agreement/contract. If your landlord refuses to return your deposit, and you feel that it is due you, your only option is to file a small claims suit in Mercer District Court. There the burden of proof is on YOU to show that you deserve to have it returned to you.

I wish you the best.
huh

Richmond, KY

#3 Oct 24, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. You will find the answer regarding your security deposit in your lease agreement/contract. If your landlord refuses to return your deposit, and you feel that it is due you, your only option is to file a small claims suit in Mercer District Court. There the burden of proof is on YOU to show that you deserve to have it returned to you.

I wish you the best.
Digger is right. Look at your lease.
Tenant

Harrodsburg, KY

#4 Oct 25, 2013
Thank you. My lease states they will return my deposit within 30 days. The 30 days had expired so I sent them a demand letter. They(landlords)showed up at my house and was being very rude to me in front of my little boy. They couldn't believe I wanted my deposit back. They handed me a list of damages and said I wasn't getting anything and that I actually owed them. They charged me $350 for an old stove, $145 to wipe down the walls, $217 to shampoo carpets, $50 for grass seed, $33 for a ceiling fan globe, $225 for propane. The stove only had a couple of burners that worked and they told me I could remove it. I put it in their barn and they knew it was there from day 1. I cleaned the house and shampooed the carpets before leaving. However, the lease stated $50 would be taken out of deposit for shampooing. There was never any grass in the area they are claiming we damaged. There was one globe broken they charged me for four. The propane was never discussed before moving in or signing the lease. They said they were having propane put in the tank so they could check the lines and the next time would be my responsibility. My lease was up in May and I moved out in September. So, I didn't know for sure if I could still go by anything in the lease. Sorry for the whole story, but I just really needed to vent. Thanks again.
Geez

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Oct 25, 2013
I'm wondering if a Landlord at a already untidy apt [ when I moved ) has a right to just come in and " check " to see if tenants are keeping a tidy place ?? I've never heard of this but this apartment owner has Cockroaches almost bigger than the state of New Jersey ! I was not informed the apt I moved into was going to be a day to day battle with these horrible creatures. It makes me sick . My furniture probly needs burning because of roaches crawling under neath my sofa ! I would not have moved in here had they TOLD me this place is a disco for roaches !
who

Lexington, KY

#6 Oct 31, 2013
sounds like the movie joe's apartment, lol
the law

United States

#7 Nov 1, 2013
Tenant wrote:
Thank you. My lease states they will return my deposit within 30 days. The 30 days had expired so I sent them a demand letter. They(landlords)showed up at my house and was being very rude to me in front of my little boy. They couldn't believe I wanted my deposit back. They handed me a list of damages and said I wasn't getting anything and that I actually owed them. They charged me $350 for an old stove,$145 to wipe down the walls,$217 to shampoo carpets,$50 for grass seed,$33 for a ceiling fan globe,$225 for propane. The stove only had a couple of burners that worked and they told me I could remove it. I put it in their barn and they knew it was there from day 1. I cleaned the house and shampooed the carpets before leaving. However, the lease stated $50 would be taken out of deposit for shampooing. There was never any grass in the area they are claiming we damaged. There was one globe broken they charged me for four. The propane was never discussed before moving in or signing the lease. They said they were having propane put in the tank so they could check the lines and the next time would be my responsibility. My lease was up in May and I moved out in September. So, I didn't know for sure if I could still go by anything in the lease. Sorry for the whole story, but I just really needed to vent. Thanks again.
If you give me an email I can send you the law
Tenant

Harrodsburg, KY

#10 Nov 15, 2013
the law wrote:
<quoted text>
If you give me an email I can send you the law
I have tried several times to give you my email and it keeps being deleted. Hopefully, you get it this time. I really would like to know my rights before I spend the $150 for small claims. slo_mo_tion@yahoo. Thank you.
Charlie

Harrodsburg, KY

#11 Nov 16, 2013
Did you give a 30 day notice prior to vacating? If not, you will probably not be entitled to the return of your lease.
Also, as for the damages, if you file a small claims it will most likely end up being your word against theirs and there is the possibility that you will not be awarded a judgment. I recommend that in the future that you take numerous photos prior to moving in and upon vacating the premises. In the event that you are faced with this unfortunate situation again, you will have evidence of the condition of the property prior to your arrival and upon your departure. Good luck.
Tenant

Harrodsburg, KY

#12 Nov 18, 2013
My lease was up in May. They wanted me to sign another 6 month lease. I told them that I was wanting to move and did not want to sign another lease. I ended up staying until September. I did give them a written notice. They also put the house up for sale in July without telling us. We found out from the realtor when he was putting the sign in the yard. The lease states that my deposit would be returned in 30 days. I didn't know if the terms of the lease were still good since I didn't sign another one. Anyway, I know I'm entitled to my deposit, but even if I sue and win they probably would not give me my money. It really upsets me that landlords seem to have all the rights and good tenants have none.
Sara

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Nov 18, 2013
Tenant wrote:
My lease was up in May. They wanted me to sign another 6 month lease. I told them that I was wanting to move and did not want to sign another lease. I ended up staying until September. I did give them a written notice. They also put the house up for sale in July without telling us. We found out from the realtor when he was putting the sign in the yard. The lease states that my deposit would be returned in 30 days. I didn't know if the terms of the lease were still good since I didn't sign another one. Anyway, I know I'm entitled to my deposit, but even if I sue and win they probably would not give me my money. It really upsets me that landlords seem to have all the rights and good tenants have none.
they do as they please
They

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2013
If you don't like the terms, rent somewhere else. If you don't like fish, eat the damn chicken. Simple as that. Quit her bitch in and scrub the kitchen Louise.
Charlie

Harrodsburg, KY

#15 Nov 18, 2013
Tenant wrote:
If you feel that the judge would rule in your favor, then you should file the small claims action. If you are awarded a judgment you will be responsible for collecting payment, but there are several options. For example, you can file a lien against their real estate, garnish their bank account or paycheck, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Haha 7 min truth 2
leave bill cosby alone 2 hr Wollard 11
les 7 hr OMG 3
quarantine the nurse 16 hr Realistic Charley 15
Dustin Williams 16 hr You r gross 11
Kenneth Williams Sat Curious 7
the guy that drives new red camaro in Harrodsburg Sat Likin-It 4
Harrodsburg Dating
Find my Match

Harrodsburg People Search