Is high school football getting out o...

Is high school football getting out of hand

Posted in the Harrodsburg Forum

Digger O Dell

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Jul 19, 2014
In some school systems high school football is wagging the educational dog. Within easy driving distance of Harrodsburg a high school football coach was hired a year ago. Often then this happens the new coach gets to bring in a whole slew of assistants, most of which must have a teaching or other full time job created for them. Most often the new head coach has an out of the classroom job created for him so that he won't be burdened with teaching and lesson preparation. That way he will get a teacher's salary plus a coaching stipend.
In order to create teaching jobs for the assistants coaches teachers who were not on tenure were fired in the school district that I mentioned. IMO that is wrong. Am I that far off base or is this school system going way overboard for football? Must high school football be run like college programs? FYI, this is not Mercer County High School.
Jason

Harrodsburg, KY

#2 Jul 20, 2014
I go to school to learn. They say we are short of money. Why do we have to have all this money spent on coaches, buildings and things like that? One of these taught a class for us last year. He was the worst teacher I ever had.
Me Myself

Harrodsburg, KY

#3 Jul 20, 2014
I go to one of the smallest schools in the state. We just hired a full time athletic director. We only have about 120 to 130 kids in our high school. Does school our side really need a man to just do this?
Jaylen J

Harrodsburg, KY

#4 Jul 24, 2014
Mercer County puts way too much emphasis on football. A bundle of money is spent on the sports palace. Our coach is paid as if he were a teacher and he is not. Last year he took the entire football team for a week in Tennessee. And yes, the coach has lots of assistants and some of them are on the payroll. Burgin with a full time athletic director? Now funny.
wondering

Lawrenceburg, KY

#5 Jul 24, 2014
Jaylen J wrote:
Mercer County puts way too much emphasis on football. A bundle of money is spent on the sports palace. Our coach is paid as if he were a teacher and he is not. Last year he took the entire football team for a week in Tennessee. And yes, the coach has lots of assistants and some of them are on the payroll. Burgin with a full time athletic director? Now funny.
The week in TN was for camp & the parents paid a BIG part of the cost. The rest was paid with fundraising.
Jaylen J

Harrodsburg, KY

#6 Jul 25, 2014
wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
The week in TN was for camp & the parents paid a BIG part of the cost. The rest was paid with fundraising.
But is it necessary to take the football team out of state to practice? We have every thing needed right here. Why should the parents have to shell out? Why should the community have to suffer another school fundraiser? The topic is is high school football getting out of hand? I say it is. I read on this tread that one school fired teachers so that the new head coach could bring in his assistants and they needed teaching jobs. I wonder if the coach who left had brought his assistants and if they had tenure and if the school would be stuck with them. If firing teachers is done to create jobs for assistants actually happens, then surely that school system has it's priorities backwards.
Really

Brooks, KY

#9 Jul 28, 2014
And you walked to school in a foot of snow, shared your books with 4 other kids and only had shoes in hop the winter. Wake up folks, this is 2014.
Private Eye

Danville, KY

#10 Jul 28, 2014
Heard that Mercer was going to have all their games at the Old Harrodsburg High School Football Field. Spending a lot of money for Irrigation & Drain pipes.
Who cares

United States

#11 Jul 29, 2014
We all know your not talking about Mercer cause they suck at football and they suck in the classroom. Funny though that the school you are speaking of is in the top 10 in academics in the state oh and they good on the field.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
democratic party 7 hr Question 35
sherry sanders and brett royalty 7 hr hillbilly1 6
Rent To Own/ Land Contracts 16 hr just me 4
hitachi e-shift (Jan '14) 17 hr Martin 91
Taxes, Taxes, and more taxes! 20 hr Parent and tax payer 8
union coming to wausau Sat yes 44
Cecil (Mar '15) Sat Bigmoma 33
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harrodsburg Mortgages