First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe little Sister

Harrodsburg, KY

#61 Apr 2, 2014
GET IT STRAIGHT wrote:
<quoted text> This is correct. But, also when the new school was voted on to build Mercer still had the old superintendent Johnson. Between him and Snodgrass, Harrodsburg's Superintendent you can't find any worse. By the time all was said and done. The school was smaller than it was supposed to be and that's why they kept using the Old HHS building. It's a new day and new time. Move On. If the people on here spent half as much time attending meetings and being involved instead of running their pie holes about something they know nothing about things might be different. Really, you know more about what's been going on then most of the other post for sure. And just to add something for the others to read. Mercer's coaches all teach. Unlike Boyle Co and other districts whose coach then and new coach coming make an ungodly amount of money and do not teach. Superintendent Davis won't have a coach that doesn't teach in the district. Why do you think Jaggers was not hired back? He retired and wanted to come back just to coach but Supt. and Board said No. You have to teach. And another FYI, most of the assistants are volunteers. That means NO money! How much time do you imagine the ignorant people on these post volunteer to do anything with their child or any child for that matter. Get over it people. HHS is gone! The Old Mercer is gone. It is a new day and new time. If you don't like it, then go to a meeting. But I guess it is easier to set here and be negative and type stuff you have no clue about, while drawing your checks and food stamps; then to be a positive person and support the kids of Harrodsburg and Mercer Co., Please get a life. Maybe in another town. Thanks Really for trying to set them straight, but I think on here these people are a lost cause.
I don't know about the new basketball coach. I may have to teach. The football coach that they got from Lexington Christion, the one that stayed one year, did not teach. The one they have no does not teach. He runs a room for misbehaving kids. Sometimes he has a few to look after. Sometime he had non. It is a made up job that pays like he was a full time teacher. Coaches don't want to teach anymore. A lot of them think that their only job should be teaching, but they want to be paid for coaching plus a full time teacher's salary.
Info

Harrodsburg, KY

#63 Apr 2, 2014
.misinformed JLS. BURGINS TEST ARE VERY GOOD. They have a waiting list of kids trying to get into their school system .what was said was that schools that don't have a sports lose students. For example Burgin has no football program . if a child wants to play football then he must go to Mercer.The merger of Burgin and Mercer is way off the map. people in Burgin take very much pride in their school and pay big taxes to keep it there. Burgin pays a larger tax than Mercer County ..Also several teachers have left Mercer for Burgin as wall as Boyle county.com mon sense tell us that schools receive money on their enrollmetor attendance.JLS YOU NEED TO RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GET ON HERE.
Joe Little Sister

Harrodsburg, KY

#64 Apr 3, 2014
Burgin's state test scores last year was the pits. It is easy to find. Look it up. Here is the thing about kids living in Burgin and going somewhere else to play football or for any other reason. The state pays schools according to the number of kids attending schools. There are kids in other school districts wanting to come to Burgin. There are kids in Burgin who want to go to other districts. They must balance. In other words if 11 kids from Burgin want to go to Mercer and only 10 Mercer kids are going to Burgin, Mercer can only take 10. The myth of a waiting list is just that, a myth. Burgin has it's good points and it's bad points. This past year has not been good. Poor state tests and the scandal of drunk basketball players are an embarrassment.
truth

Harrodsburg, KY

#68 Apr 5, 2014
JLS. Burgins school oz full to they Max and there is a list if students waiting to get in there. I know because a family member just got in this year.yes you are right about the ordeal with the basketball team but messes like this have occurred in other schools as well. Things like this do happen when dealing with teenagers. The cheerleaders at mercer had problems a couple of years ago. No body that I know is perfect an adult or kid! Things just happen and we move on. Exactly what do you want to hear? That one school system is better than the other? That you are not pleased with any? If you find the perfect ideal school that doesn't have a flaw please let me know..by all means let us all know!!
Real truth

Harrodsburg, KY

#71 Apr 6, 2014
Here is the scoop on the so called waiting list at Burgin. Surrounding schools sign contracts stating that they will not accept students from other schools unless the number of students leaving equals the number coming. If a Burgin kid wants to go to Mercer there must be one kid who wants to leave Burgin and go to Mercer. There are times when there are more wanting to leave Burgin and there are times when there are more wanting to leave Mercer It is likely that some surrounding schools have waiting list of students wanting to leave Burgin and transfer there. It is a nice public relation ploy and nothing more. A teacher tells me that many kids wanting to transfer are having trouble at the school they presently attend, and that applies to Burgin as well as other schools. It is the grass is greener here than there.
truth

Harrodsburg, KY

#75 Apr 15, 2014
just like everything else. there will be problems. no side is greener but could be made better by getting involved with your childs school and get educated about your concerns. getting on here complaining and making accusations about what someone said or what you've heard is not the way to solve your issues. spend less time here go to your school meetings and get involved and help to stop all the BS. best thing in the world for our children and school ......
Private Eye

Danville, KY

#76 Aug 15, 2014
Really you were wrong. Mercer to raise school taxes again. There will be a school board meeting August 21 to discuss the raise.
Raise them taxes

Harrodsburg, KY

#77 Aug 15, 2014
Private Eye wrote:
Really you were wrong. Mercer to raise school taxes again. There will be a school board meeting August 21 to discuss the raise.
All the schools in our area raise taxes. The allowed four percent is what Mercer County will take. They also get to tax new property that is built in the county. It figures like compound interest. Next year the school will tax us what they take in this year (including the 4 percent) plus another 4 percent. You can easily see that over the years the income grows by leaps and bounds. They also take a percent tax on all utilities used in the county.
Really

Harrodsburg, KY

#78 Aug 15, 2014
Private Eye wrote:
Call the finance officer at Mercer. The school board by law is required to advertise and hold a hearing. The paper doesn't say anything about they approved the tax raise. Go to the hearing and voice your concerns.
Yeah

Tampa, FL

#79 Aug 16, 2014
Not to mention wrote:
The kids that do play sports think they can do whatever they want. Even rape. The merger was the worst idea ever. Was against it since I first heard about it. SCOTTIES FOREVER!
I'm with ya all the way ! We cheerleaders loved it when the band played a song by The Tijuana Brass . Was it called The Horse ? Its been a while Lol. Excuse me if I'm wrong.
MCHS

Madison, TN

#80 Sunday Sep 7
mee wrote:
I think the kids are the ones suffering. If your child doesn't play sports or may have some sort of behavior/learning disability they are shunned. The school system is just worried about how they look to the surrounding schools not the quality of education. I think its also a mistake to have mercer central. I feel that is a way for the school to shove kids to the side that may not be within their little box. The kids at mercer dental deserve to go to prom and graduate with ALL their fellow classmates they've gone to school with since kindergarten. I understand kids needing special help but when I was in school that was called special education and they were able to participate in everything we did.
actually mercer central is for kids who drop out and go to get there g.e.d not for kids who get shoved in a box... Actually almost all those kids were getting and receiving help from teachers but just decided that mercer central was the best, but I couldn't agree with you more special needs are shunned, I was a peer tutor and they always got the leftovers of what the "normal" kids didn't want.
In the know

Harrodsburg, KY

#81 Thursday Sep 11
MCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
actually mercer central is for kids who drop out and go to get there g.e.d not for kids who get shoved in a box... Actually almost all those kids were getting and receiving help from teachers but just decided that mercer central was the best, but I couldn't agree with you more special needs are shunned, I was a peer tutor and they always got the leftovers of what the "normal" kids didn't want.
Mercer Central is just another way for Mercer to make sure that every body gets out of school with a diploma. They have lowered the grading scale so that any idiot can pass if he or she puts in just a little effort. They allow kids who have failed a class to "reclaim" his grade by fiddling around a little while with a computer. If a kid can't cut it academically they send him to Mercer Central where the grading is even more easy. If a kid misbehaves they send him to a coach who does nothing but baby sit, there by eliminating suspensions. Then there is the vocational school to which they send a number who are not interesting in academics. For those who are disruptive on a continuing basis there is the Day Treatment School. Education takes a back seat to academics at many schools and Mercer proudly leads that parade.
It Shows

Harrodsburg, KY

#82 Thursday Sep 11
In the know wrote:
<quoted text> Mercer Central is just another way for Mercer to make sure that every body gets out of school with a diploma. They have lowered the grading scale so that any idiot can pass if he or she puts in just a little effort. They allow kids who have failed a class to "reclaim" his grade by fiddling around a little while with a computer. If a kid can't cut it academically they send him to Mercer Central where the grading is even more easy. If a kid misbehaves they send him to a coach who does nothing but baby sit, there by eliminating suspensions. Then there is the vocational school to which they send a number who are not interesting in academics. For those who are disruptive on a continuing basis there is the Day Treatment School. Education takes a back seat to academics at many schools and Mercer proudly leads that parade.

I think what you meant to say was education takes a back seat to athletics ?? The word academic pertains to a school (college, institute, etc) especially for higher education. I can't understand what you're implying when you say this. Certainly not trying to be grammar police but your saying they're put somewhere where the grading is "more easy" , which should be easier. Now why do I bring these things up, b/c you're trying your best to say what a terrible school this is but you don't even have the education yourself to give your opinion correctly. Maybe you're a product of Mercer Central if the things you've said are true. We have to have education ourselves before we critique the teachings of anyone else.
USA

United States

#83 Friday Sep 12
I am a firm believer that you get out of school what you put in school. If you are failing because you sleep in class, you are the problem!. Not all about sports, but extracurricular are proven to make better students. Keeps the kid more focused and organized. For some kids, involvement in the extracurricular activities (not just sports)is the only thing keeping them on the right path, and it is the coach that is the sober steady concerned adult in their life. Do not blame the school system or the teacher when a child is not excelling without first looking in the mirror. What is the structure for that child at home. If the child is struggling at school, meet with the teachers, and Counselors. They truly are dedicated and really do care more for these kids then they are given credit. No one on the school board currently was involved with the decision for the merger, nor the sports complex. Get over it!!!! The kids do not identify themselves as Scottie's or pioneers, they are Titans, and proud.

Mercer Central is not special education. It is designed for drop out prevention. It is a separate school. Graduation requirements are different. If the students want to participate in prom, etc, then do the work, attend class and stay on track with your peers. Btw, you are not allowed to attend prom as a MCSHS student if you have had attendance or behavior issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Nutz 153,835
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 22 min LMAO 5,256
eric nanik 27 min ex- new girl 42
Suprena Anderson (Mar '14) 38 min forsakken 40
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr BIG_STEVIE 16,169
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 3 hr here 81,640
hburg hlth care 5 hr Jose 1
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••