Putting Harrodsburg and Mercer School...

Putting Harrodsburg and Mercer Schools together .

Posted in the Harrodsburg Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
surprised

United States

#1 Jan 26, 2014
I am very surprised that these two schools are now one BIG school . I was so shocked when I came back into town . I heard a short reply about HHS needing lots of repairs and I don't know the rest . Growing up in mercer county as a kid , it was lots of fun between the schools .{ HHS had cute boys in the mid 70s Lol !
surprised

United States

#2 Jan 26, 2014
I forgot to mention the great rivalry between those two schools . It was great . I remember when Mercer co beat HHS in Basketball in 1970 I think . John Benge , Tim { Rock ) Murphy , Ricky Drury , and all the others . Such good fun . Good memories , good players I'm unable to remember all of them now . I just know the fire marshal wouldn't allow anyone else in One time . .
real history

Lawrenceburg, KY

#3 Jan 31, 2014
Mercer Co. ran out of money building way over their budget and convinced the city school board to merge. After the board raped the $10.000.000 the city school had in the bank. The schools merged, Mercer got their school and a state football title (4a vs 1a)and a sports complex. Rich folks got richer and the people of Mercer County got screwed with lies about better education and the loss of some pretty good teachers. One example of how good HHS was is in our State Rep. She was a secretary for the middle school. About the only good thing that came out of the merger was Kim.
Surprised

United States

#4 Jan 31, 2014
Good heavens . I don't know . I just think it got really out of hand . Like I said I was and still am surprised at how many school buildings there are etc . HHS always had good football , cheerleaders . As a teen it was just exciting to meet the " City kids " at HHS . They were the pioneers and Mercer was the " Scotties . I don't like the way it turned out to be honest .
Classof2012

United States

#5 Jan 31, 2014
Was the biggest mistake!!! I couldnt learn nothing after the merge, was all just drama 24/7 and worried about their sports more than ever. HHS we were all like family the the teachers cared and we learned and could get one on one. I sure wish they could have waited until i graduated. Will always miss them and the fam back at HHS!
Surprised

United States

#6 Jan 31, 2014
I bet . I can imagine at all the confusion that has went on . When I came back here after being gone for many years , I was stunned at all the changes with the schools . some go to one building , and others go to another one and then on and on .you understand what I'm getting at . I still don't care for it . Oh I'd say some profited but what about the others ? What's good for one isn't for everyone .
Classof2012

United States

#7 Jan 31, 2014
Who knows there is still many questions out on why the real reason was for it. I know plenty of parents students and teachers did not want this at all but yet no one had a say so.
The Green Hornet

Harrodsburg, KY

#8 Jan 31, 2014
I think that the merger probably was a good thing. It did help with sports but some think that the count has gone way over board with sports. Money is said to be short and yet there is an expensive sports complex and it is said that some coaches don't have to teach like they used to.The school name Titans came from football and I expect that improving football may have been the biggest reason for the merger. Academics are not great and that is why schools exist. Tiny Burgin seem to be having academic and behavior problems. They may need to merge.
Sam

Calvert City, KY

#9 Jan 31, 2014
real history wrote:
Mercer Co. ran out of money building way over their budget and convinced the city school board to merge. After the board raped the $10.000.000 the city school had in the bank. The schools merged, Mercer got their school and a state football title (4a vs 1a)and a sports complex. Rich folks got richer and the people of Mercer County got screwed with lies about better education and the loss of some pretty good teachers. One example of how good HHS was is in our State Rep. She was a secretary for the middle school. About the only good thing that came out of the merger was Kim.
You are totally confused. Maybe you should ask questions of the finance officer currently employed. HHS didnt have money. In fact, there budget was offset, spending to much and loosing kids to mercer. Harrodsburg School Board went to mercer asking for merger. Sports complex was and still is a money pit. Bruce Johnson received a big raise. The Harrodsburg supt received one too. Staff received a big raise, tax payers paid the bill. Since merger enrollment has dropped enough that the lexington campus will close this year. What's next?
mee

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2014
I think the kids are the ones suffering. If your child doesn't play sports or may have some sort of behavior/learning disability they are shunned. The school system is just worried about how they look to the surrounding schools not the quality of education. I think its also a mistake to have mercer central. I feel that is a way for the school to shove kids to the side that may not be within their little box. The kids at mercer dental deserve to go to prom and graduate with ALL their fellow classmates they've gone to school with since kindergarten. I understand kids needing special help but when I was in school that was called special education and they were able to participate in everything we did.
Surprised

United States

#11 Feb 1, 2014
Mee, I agree with the special ed . They were allowed to do the same as others back when I was in school . I didn't know that the HHS building is going to be torn down . Sad . Many people went there for years and years . I still don't like all these school buildings . One goes up here and one goes down there . I just find it a situation that kinda got out of control but its just my opinion .
Not to mention

Harrodsburg, KY

#12 Feb 1, 2014
The kids that do play sports think they can do whatever they want. Even rape. The merger was the worst idea ever. Was against it since I first heard about it. SCOTTIES FOREVER!
old pioneer

United States

#13 Feb 1, 2014
I don't like it either but we can't stop it. Just need to move on ,this old news. Get over it already
Surprised

United States

#14 Feb 1, 2014
Not to mention wrote:
The kids that do play sports think they can do whatever they want. Even rape. The merger was the worst idea ever. Was against it since I first heard about it. SCOTTIES FOREVER!
yeah , to tell the truth I don't like it either . I don't have kids in school anymore . They went to a small school out in the country . but like HHS forever said I guess its too late now to change it . Sure is a shame tho .
Surprised

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2014
I always Loved to watch the HHS cheerleaders . They were really good or I thought so . Probaly around the 1970 or 71 squad and even earlier than that . I was a bit younger but they were doing flips , stunts that hadn't been seen yet . I know one was Joan Bently . I just can't recall all the names . But they were sure good .
Classof2012

United States

#16 Feb 2, 2014
mee wrote:
I think the kids are the ones suffering. If your child doesn't play sports or may have some sort of behavior/learning disability they are shunned. The school system is just worried about how they look to the surrounding schools not the quality of education. I think its also a mistake to have mercer central. I feel that is a way for the school to shove kids to the side that may not be within their little box. The kids at mercer dental deserve to go to prom and graduate with ALL their fellow classmates they've gone to school with since kindergarten. I understand kids needing special help but when I was in school that was called special education and they were able to participate in everything we did.
Couldn't agree with you more! They dont care about nothing except for sports!!! Even if you did try and had problems learning they wouldn't help you out. They just passed you anyway. I gave up after trying and trying and just went to sleep especially my english class that never helped me. I was making D's and F's in that class then when I gave up and started sleeping i got A's and B's and i didnt do a thing?!!! Now you tell me how that happened? How did i even pass my junior and senior year? I will never know.
Classof2012

United States

#17 Feb 2, 2014
Surprised wrote:
I always Loved to watch the HHS cheerleaders . They were really good or I thought so . Probaly around the 1970 or 71 squad and even earlier than that . I was a bit younger but they were doing flips , stunts that hadn't been seen yet . I know one was Joan Bently . I just can't recall all the names . But they were sure good .
Yes they where indeed!! Even if you didnt play sports you could still feel that pride and spirit to support your team and school. Because there we was FAMILY!!!
Everybody do that big blue rumble, everybody do that big blue rumble, everybody RUMBLE!!! Still gets me going!!!
And for the people that said it was just for black. no im not black, i was one of the rednecks! And we all still got along and still was all close!
Surprised

Hialeah, FL

#18 Feb 2, 2014
class of 2012 ; yes . It was so good . Couldn't wait for friday to roll around for the Pep Rally ! I went to MHS & some teachers were bettr than others but with this big giant school they've got now , they better pay attention to Academics . There's teens that don't know what ocean borders which coast ! Unbelievable . isn't Geography taught anymore ?
Classof2012

United States

#19 Feb 2, 2014
I totally agree! It's not going to get any better just worsen more every year!
Surprised

Decatur, GA

#20 Feb 3, 2014
Classof2012 wrote:
I totally agree! It's not going to get any better just worsen more every year!
yes I agree with you . no tellings what will end up happening in the long run .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Look into my eyes.... 2 hr love it 7
Discount house 2 hr titties 4
Donna Horn The Cut Above 4 hr Sane 5
Hello 4 hr Goodbye 4
nice 4 hr Rock 5
sca 4 hr Rock 9
420 friends !!!HELP!!! 4 hr Rock 7

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance