common law ,marriage
Fiancee

United States

#1 Nov 22, 2013
what is common law marriage and does the courts accept it in certain conditions ?

Since: Oct 12

Baltimore, Maryland

#2 Nov 22, 2013
Fiancee wrote:
what is common law marriage and does the courts accept it in certain conditions ?
No such thing exists in Kentucky.
really

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Nov 22, 2013
Well I thought that if you were with that person for so many years and assumed their last name that is a common law marriage

Baltimore, Maryland

#4 Nov 22, 2013
really wrote:
Well I thought that if you were with that person for so many years and assumed their last name that is a common law marriage
No not in Kentucky.

Baltimore, Maryland

#5 Nov 22, 2013
really wrote:
But I mean, if you are going to live with someone for years and "assume' their last name... why not just become legally married?
really

Bowling Green, KY

#6 Nov 22, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>But I mean, if you are going to live with someone for years and "assume' their last name... why not just become legally married?
I did look it up and it has not been legal in KY for over 150 years. I thought that we still had common law marriage but we don't.
Fiancee

United States

#7 Nov 22, 2013
I think some states do . Mabey out west . Just wasn't sure . There are lots of people that live together for years but just dont see a need for a piece of paper .
For Sure

Harrodsburg, KY

#8 Nov 22, 2013
That is called shacking up. Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free? Why live with someone and take care of them and then not be good enough to marry them? Can't see that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dog tied out in 18 degree weather 1 hr New Here 10
Trump the new low 1 hr Put Up 13
The GOP 1 hr Put Up 4
Fitness Edge 2 hr good grief 2
Where is Anna Manning? 6 hr Needtoknow 1
misty dawn cloyd (May '13) 9 hr Gag 43
Julius Moore 13 hr Shameless 7

Harrodsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance