Parent

Harrodsburg, KY

#1 Jul 25, 2013
I see that the Mercer County School board chickened out and approved an athletic trip for kids and coaches to the Bahamas. I am down with it if not one red cent of tax money is spent on the trip. If tax money is spent on this select group of kids I have a problem with it. Since all people who own property in the county pay taxes how can the school board favor one group of kids over another?

I noticed that the board also approved two money raising projects for one of the schools. A lot depends on what that money is going to be spent for. If it is being raised to enhance education then I have to wonder why our school board favors athletics over academics. If it is being raised for something other than a school based need, then I see no problem.

Some say that the school system cannot afford to buy enough books for the kids to use. I would like some teacher or principal to come on here and either admit or deny that claim.
SNL

Louisville, KY

#2 Jul 25, 2013
I noticed that in the paper, right below the article about the trip being approved, there was a piece about HMCTC cutting their sponsorship of the girls' basketball tournament from $5,000 to $2,500. The original asking price was $7,500. So...the team is panhandling for sponsorship money, yet they can afford to take a trip to the Bahamas? Something doesn't add up.

I'm not a parent, so my opinion would be worth bupkis to the school board. Since you are, if I were you I wouldn't wait for an answer here. I'd be front row at a school board meeting with your list of questions.
sam

Noblesville, IN

#3 Jul 25, 2013
Attend a board mtg and get your answers. From what I here, each player, coach and family member is paying there own way. Athletics academics go hand in hand, most of players carry a higher gap than most. Go get a life, or move from mercer county
Abc

Harrodsburg, KY

#4 Jul 26, 2013
I would say that is correct each student parent coach paying for their own costs. However you could check into it and if one red cent of school or booster funds are spent to support this trip and the equivalent In some monetary form to other groups of equal size your looking at a Title 9 Redbook violation big time. Just sayn.
Pete

Louisville, KY

#5 Jul 28, 2013
Look up the definition of booster club.
Abc

United States

#6 Jul 29, 2013
Read the rules and regulations of the booster bluv as well as title 9. However it's null in this case since the girls team is going as well

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KeytronicsEMS closing 18 min Really 5
Ashley palmer 4 hr ThinkSo 25
which stip club is Ashlyn at 5 hr DVillie 20
Superintendent $36,100 raise 5 hr Harrodsburg guy 119
What happened to the thread about the murder on... 8 hr Aunt T Histimine 55
kody brewer 9 hr Marty 5
wreck in burgin 12 hr Aunt T Histimine 5
Jaysa Wed an old friend 21
More from around the web

Personal Finance