Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 20 comments on the Jan 5, 2011, The Cincinnati Enquirer story titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93901 Nov 8, 2013
I don't have a clue as to what I would do for a cold. I can't even remember the last time I had one (knock on wood). Perhaps it is because I am not around other people all that much and get fresh air outdoors regardless of the weather and I do not have central heat and air duct work for bacteria to grow in. Those new-fangled modern conveniences are not always good for one's health.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#93902 Nov 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I don't have a clue as to what I would do for a cold. I can't even remember the last time I had one (knock on wood). Perhaps it is because I am not around other people all that much and get fresh air outdoors regardless of the weather and I do not have central heat and air duct work for bacteria to grow in. Those new-fangled modern conveniences are not always good for one's health.
I usually get two colds a year. That's more than enough! Hope you enjoying this cool Autumn evening.
good grief

United States

#93903 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>I had a lot of success with licorice for my cough and dried eucalyptus hanging in the steamy shower is the best.
I like hanging lavender in my shower. It relaxes me.

Location hidden

#93904 Nov 8, 2013
good grief wrote:
<quoted text>I like hanging lavender in my shower. It relaxes me.
Yes-- a very soothing scent.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93908 Nov 8, 2013
sothis wrote:
Your all nuts!!!!You should be focusing on today!!!
Thanks Pal, we have all focused on today way too long, that is why we are all just a little bit nuts. Hang in there and you can make it too !!

Location hidden

#93909 Nov 8, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Pal, we have all focused on today way too long, that is why we are all just a little bit nuts. Hang in there and you can make it too !!
Well said. I want to be cashew this time

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#93910 Nov 8, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Peppered Pistachios here ;):) Me Stalking??? Yeppers :)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93911 Nov 9, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I usually get two colds a year. That's more than enough! Hope you enjoying this cool Autumn evening.
Yes, I am definitely enjoying this weather. It is just cool enough to snuggle under my quilts with the window open for a nice cold breeze on my face then wake up to throw another log on my fire and sit quietly in my rocking chair with Dog laying on the throw rug beside me while we gaze into the embers and flames of a nice relaxing fire and meditate on all the wonders of GOD's creations and Thankful that we are still alive to partake of HIS blessings.

I worked 49 years for the man to be able to do this. Now I stopped here on Topix to wish all Peace and Prosperity and will go back to the warmth of my quilts. Life is good regardless of all those things that could make us anxious if we dwell on them too much.

Location hidden

#93912 Nov 9, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I am definitely enjoying this weather. It is just cool enough to snuggle under my quilts with the window open for a nice cold breeze on my face then wake up to throw another log on my fire and sit quietly in my rocking chair with Dog laying on the throw rug beside me while we gaze into the embers and flames of a nice relaxing fire and meditate on all the wonders of GOD's creations and Thankful that we are still alive to partake of HIS blessings.

I worked 49 years for the man to be able to do this. Now I stopped here on Topix to wish all Peace and Prosperity and will go back to the warmth of my quilts. Life is good regardless of all those things that could make us anxious if we dwell on them too much.
Words for my soul. Thanks Wolf--- keep an eye on me
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#93915 Nov 9, 2013
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text> I was talking about hammering...and....and... wood. No, I mean, hard wood....hammering on it...
My my.
I give up.Lol
Just no rest for the weary is there Imposter? Hey, ever try a hot toddy for the miseries? I do like them things and the help'n part,....well, it may be all imagination but so be it!

And thanks for the melungeon info. When I get done reading about Alex Stewart, I'll do a search and find some more to read on them. And no, I've not heard of the blue people,.....another search!!! But you just reminded me of something. A while back, I stumbled across the "Bluefield Forum." Any connection, ya reckon?

Wolf, I can just picture you and "dog" in front of that fire. As a boy, we had a fireplace and that was sure mezmerizing, just sit and gaze at the flames and drift plumb off..........then be awakened by the smell of Mom popping corn on the stove. Now it comes in a sack out of the ole micowave. Ain't as good as Mom's was long ago, tho.
qwerty

Butler, KY

#93916 Nov 9, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>

Dibs on pecan!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93917 Nov 9, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Just no rest for the weary is there Imposter? Hey, ever try a hot toddy for the miseries? I do like them things and the help'n part,....well, it may be all imagination but so be it!
And thanks for the melungeon info. When I get done reading about Alex Stewart, I'll do a search and find some more to read on them. And no, I've not heard of the blue people,.....another search!!! But you just reminded me of something. A while back, I stumbled across the "Bluefield Forum." Any connection, ya reckon?
Wolf, I can just picture you and "dog" in front of that fire. As a boy, we had a fireplace and that was sure mezmerizing, just sit and gaze at the flames and drift plumb off..........then be awakened by the smell of Mom popping corn on the stove. Now it comes in a sack out of the ole micowave. Ain't as good as Mom's was long ago, tho.
One of my antique pieces of decor is a folding wire mesh popcorn popper with about a 2 foot wire handle and a wooden hand hold area on the end. You open it and put the corn in the basket and hold it over a bed of hot coals. As an adult, I have not used it but remember how we made popcorn balls using the popped corn and sorghum molasses with just a bit of baking soda in it to keep it from boiling over when it was sitting on the old wood burning cook stove. Then at Christmas, we threaded the popcorn and made decorations for the real cedar tree we got out in the woods. I went with my boss a few years ago to buy a previously decorated plastic tree. That surely did not seem like Christmas to me, especially when he bought a spray can of cedar aroma. What a farce!!
wow

Milan, Italy

#93919 Nov 9, 2013
blah blah
Anne

United States

#93920 Nov 9, 2013
We eat our share of microwave popcorn. However the best popcorn is popped in one of the cheapie aluminum saucepans. 2 quart size and with a lid. Pour in the oil.( this is also the time to add tabasco sauce ) heat that oil Cover the bottom with popcorn kernels, one kernel deep, and let it pop!! Alas, this type of popping doesn't work as well on the ceramic flat top stoves.

Location hidden

#93921 Nov 9, 2013
Anne wrote:
We eat our share of microwave popcorn. However the best popcorn is popped in one of the cheapie aluminum saucepans. 2 quart size and with a lid. Pour in the oil.( this is also the time to add tabasco sauce ) heat that oil Cover the bottom with popcorn kernels, one kernel deep, and let it pop!! Alas, this type of popping doesn't work as well on the ceramic flat top stoves.
Tabasco sauce? Never thought if that. Great idea---thanks
I got the popcorn. Who has a movie to watch
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93922 Nov 9, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Tabasco sauce? Never thought if that. Great idea---thanks
I got the popcorn. Who has a movie to watch
I have "History of the World-Part 1" with Mel Brooks and Harvey Korman. One segment is Hitler on Ice Skates. My favorite though is how man learned to sing with cave men dropping big rocks on each others toes. LOL

Location hidden

#93923 Nov 9, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I have "History of the World-Part 1" with Mel Brooks and Harvey Korman. One segment is Hitler on Ice Skates. My favorite though is how man learned to sing with cave men dropping big rocks on each others toes. LOL
I could bring some Monty Python ---
Do you know the air speed of a unladen swallow?
Anne

United States

#93924 Nov 9, 2013
WARNING! The Tabasco sauce and popcorn. A few drops will do it. My better half loves it ! And I can handle it if its pretty mild. Lol
Try

Greenville, KY

#93925 Nov 9, 2013
A dash or two of black pepper not bad either
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#93927 Nov 10, 2013
In the old days, Grandpa grew his own popcorn. I recall one time that he planted the popcorn too close to the field corn and it cross pollinated and would not pop. So granny just fed it to the chickens, so it was not wasted.

But we did not have any popcorn balls for Christmas. But they did buy some caramel and we had candied apples instead which I liked even better even though the Christmas tree looked a little sad with out popcorn strung on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sis Anderson 25 min wondering 13
Amy Nichols (maiden name) don't know married name 55 min the one 2
willie jr 1 hr willie jr 5
leslie m rogers (Jul '14) 1 hr Igoturbitch 4
some history of this town (Aug '14) 1 hr Dopey Smurf 11
HATERS of UK 3 hr UK Fan 52
Caleb Lunsford came out? 5 hr Sunset 12
What's up with Regna Murray evicrting everyone? 7 hr Aunt T Histimine 23
More from around the web

Harrodsburg People Search