First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joan

Langley, KY

#21 Sep 30, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife made the very exact same observation when we first moved here from Baltimore. I began exchanging emails with a colleague of mine at the University of Maryland. He had a very interesting theory, so we decided to try it out. He and several of his students flew down one weekend and we set up a sample booth at Anderson-Dean Park during one of the sporting events.
We were usually approached by couples. The students would make small talk with them and offer them a sample of a new soda (actually Coke and Diet Coke). They were asked to sample the soda and tell us what they thought. What they thought, was irrelevant.
We held out a bag for each couple to dispose of their cups in. That bag was then sealed and tagged by another student once the couple had walked off. No one paid attention to the discarded cups, but were more interested in answering the questions about the soda. By the end of the day we had collected our goal of 100 samples.
The results were shocking.
Nearly 75% of those who identified themselves as couples living in Mercer County had genetic evidence of inbreeding! Now I'm not saying brother/sister, father/daughter type stuff here. That's not what I mean. What we found was evidence that generations of a limited gene pool has resulted in "abnormalities" among Mercer County youth. Keep in mind that this study was conducted 12 years ago. Many of those young couples have had children by now, thus further muddying of the pool.
This is not uncommon in small communities. Many people feel "trapped" here. The only people they have social contact with are those they went to school with or work with. Again, all people who live in the same small community. After a few generations, everyone begins to become related.
This probably explains why your teen relatives noticed what they did. They were, in fact, correct in their observations.
Shallow gene pool would explain a lot.
Big

Clayton, IN

#22 Sep 30, 2013
Joan wrote:
This summer I had 2 teen relatives house sitting for me while on vacation, they went to the usual places; Dairy Queen, The Fort, Drive In, Fudge Shop, Anderson Dean Pool. When I returned they asked if there were a "special school" nearby, they felt most of the kids they met were developmentally disabled and were stunned when I told them I didn't know of any. The kids were so far below them in language and deportment they thought they were retarded. What kind of a statement about the pathetic schools and parenting in this town does it make when 2 teenagers here for 10 days make that kind of observation?
you didn't mention where your teen relatives were visiting from. It could be that they couldn't distinguish the local language. Some students do have a very southern form of language.
Sid

Clayton, IN

#23 Sep 30, 2013
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>Shallow gene pool would explain a lot.
you must have also been tested.
Sid

Clayton, IN

#24 Sep 30, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife made the very exact same observation when we first moved here from Baltimore. I began exchanging emails with a colleague of mine at the University of Maryland. He had a very interesting theory, so we decided to try it out. He and several of his students flew down one weekend and we set up a sample booth at Anderson-Dean Park during one of the sporting events.
We were usually approached by couples. The students would make small talk with them and offer them a sample of a new soda (actually Coke and Diet Coke). They were asked to sample the soda and tell us what they thought. What they thought, was irrelevant.
We held out a bag for each couple to dispose of their cups in. That bag was then sealed and tagged by another student once the couple had walked off. No one paid attention to the discarded cups, but were more interested in answering the questions about the soda. By the end of the day we had collected our goal of 100 samples.
Nearly 75% of those who identified themselves as couples living in Mercer County had genetic evidence of inbreeding! Now I'm not saying brother/sister, father/daughter type stuff here. That's not what I mean. What we found was evidence that generations of a limited gene pool has resulted in "abnormalities" among Mercer County youth. Keep in mind that this study was conducted 12 years ago. Many of those young couples have had children by now, thus further muddying of the pool.
This is not uncommon in small communities. Many people feel "trapped" here. The only people they have social contact with are those they went to school with or work with. Again, all people who live in the same small community. After a few generations, everyone begins to become related.
This probably explains why your teen relatives noticed what they did. They were, in fact, correct in their observations.
I would like to see the results from this observation. Please post.
Nutz

Harrodsburg, KY

#25 Sep 30, 2013
One True Digger wrote:
<quoted text>
I call BS. You are not from Maryland and you conducted no such experiment. You are a liar and a fraud.
Joan

Langley, KY

#26 Sep 30, 2013
Big wrote:
<quoted text> you didn't mention where your teen relatives were visiting from. It could be that they couldn't distinguish the local language. Some students do have a very southern form of language.
They were born and raised in KY, they however have the advantage of a parochial education and parents who made sure they appreciate it.
Sid

Clayton, IN

#27 Oct 1, 2013
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>They were born and raised in KY, they however have the advantage of a parochial education and parents who made sure they appreciate it.
I really think your full of it just like the comment from true digger.
Selbert Depool

Harrodsburg, KY

#28 Oct 1, 2013
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>Shallow gene pool would explain a lot.
We live in a mobile society. There are people adding to the Mercer County gene pool all the time the same as they add to the gene pool in Boyle County. There are Eastern Kentucky schools that did much better than the two school systems in Mercer County. If gene pools mattered those schools would be affected.

No, it is not the gene pool. That is an excuse that I have not heard school people use. There is one state test. It is given to kids all across the state. Schools either excelled, passed or failed. Mercer and Burgin failed. They failed last year and they will fail next year unless the school people take a good look at academics.
Joan

Langley, KY

#29 Oct 1, 2013
Selbert Depool wrote:
<quoted text>
We live in a mobile society. There are people adding to the Mercer County gene pool all the time the same as they add to the gene pool in Boyle County. There are Eastern Kentucky schools that did much better than the two school systems in Mercer County. If gene pools mattered those schools would be affected.
No, it is not the gene pool. That is an excuse that I have not heard school people use. There is one state test. It is given to kids all across the state. Schools either excelled, passed or failed. Mercer and Burgin failed. They failed last year and they will fail next year unless the school people take a good look at academics.
I was being facetious, I think looking at other issues in this county would help; single parenthood, lack of jobs and job training, the drugs and drug culture. Most of the kids in Mercer and throughout the state shouldn't go to college, they don't belong there, most of these kids need vocational training in fields like plumbing, construction, auto machanics, LPN training ect. There are plenty of fields that are respectable and could earn a decent living for them, the problem is they are told all their lives they must go to college, while there they rack up huge loans and most leave before they get a degree because they can't hack the requirements, they aren't prepared for it.
Selbert Depool

Harrodsburg, KY

#30 Oct 1, 2013
Joan wrote:
<quoted text>I was being facetious, I think looking at other issues in this county would help; single parenthood, lack of jobs and job training, the drugs and drug culture. Most of the kids in Mercer and throughout the state shouldn't go to college, they don't belong there, most of these kids need vocational training in fields like plumbing, construction, auto machanics, LPN training ect. There are plenty of fields that are respectable and could earn a decent living for them, the problem is they are told all their lives they must go to college, while there they rack up huge loans and most leave before they get a degree because they can't hack the requirements, they aren't prepared for it.
My three kids graduated from Mercer. One has a degree from Centre College and an MA from Saint Louis University. Another has an AB and an MA from EKU. The three as a BS from UK and is working on a MA. None of them had any problems in college. They are all successful professionals.

There are bright kids in this county. Like other places, there are some that are not so bright. Vocational schools is a great opportunity for them. There are state two year colleges all across the state. I would advise parents whose children don't know what they want to do to check out these. Credit transfers and they are cheap.

You are right many kids leave college with huge debts. Some can't find jobs. Kids should pick majors carefully.

I don't believe that the bad state test scores are because our kids all dumb.
Tax payer

Harrodsburg, KY

#31 Oct 2, 2013
Got my tax bill yesterday. It went up like it has for several years.

I would like see something good come from my tax money. I see that the country school system needs improvement. I don't pay Burgin school tax, but I see that they are worse than Mercer County.

Can't we do better?
George

Louisville, KY

#32 Oct 2, 2013
Tax payer wrote:
Got my tax bill yesterday. It went up like it has for several years.
I would like see something good come from my tax money. I see that the country school system needs improvement. I don't pay Burgin school tax, but I see that they are worse than Mercer County.
Can't we do better?
the mercer school board didn't raise the school tax this year. The majority of the county magistrates raised taxes, library tax went up and it could be that your property has a higher value.
Plain old man

Harrodsburg, KY

#33 Oct 3, 2013
I went Rose Hill High School. We done alright. Now we got a brand new high school and they is going to build on to it. I want to kids to do ok and maybe some of then are not cutting the cheese right now. Maybe the them and the teachers would try harder.

Miss Valaria Wright would jerk a knot in their tails if she was in charge. Some of them need that.

Like I wrote we got a pretty new high school. We got all kinds of things for the kids to do like bands, basketball, football, glee clubs, volleyball and such. Everybody should try harder, and then just forget the tests. Those that got brains are going to do well in college. Those that ain't that smart is going to get jobs or be on welfare. It will all come out in the wash.
Moe

Harrodsburg, KY

#34 Oct 5, 2013
Hard to take wrote:
If these tests mean anything this is bad news. I always thought Burgin was the best school around. Come to find our that just is not so. How in the world could they score so low? They have got a lot more people hired now than when I went there. They should be doing better.
Danville is not much better. At least Mercer is doing a little better. But why is Boyle doing so well. Are their kids just smarter?
I seen the story about the test in the Harrodsburg paper. Somebody is lying. Mercer is doing better and the high school is really doing good. Mercer high has a lot of their kids graduating. All this stuff about things being bad aint right. Mercer is doing good.
Educator

Harrodsburg, KY

#35 Oct 6, 2013
Moe wrote:
<quoted text>
I seen the story about the test in the Harrodsburg paper. Somebody is lying. Mercer is doing better and the high school is really doing good. Mercer high has a lot of their kids graduating. All this stuff about things being bad aint right. Mercer is doing good.
Moe, You are kinda right. Mercer County Schools showed some improvement over the previous year. That is good. We had and still have a long way to go. When all the schools are grouped together Mercer County earned a "needs Improvement" ranking. The percentile ranking was 66 which when compared to a student's report card would be an F, but it is a higher F than the F from last year.

The high School was the only school which graded "proficient". That percentile rating was 77. When compared to the new grading scale that would be a C. That is an improvement from last year's F.

The lowest score was a 39 earned by the Immediate school. That is an extremely low score. The only way for that school is up.

The result is some good and some bad, but the fact that the scores have gotten better is good.

There a couple of reasons why the high school graduates a high percentage of it's students.
Mercer County created Mercer Central and it inherited the Day Treatment School from Harrodsburg. Between the two up to 40 at risk kids are skimmed from the high school leaving it without am many kids as usually would fail.

Secondly, like many schools, Mercer County lowered it grading scale some time back. This means many more report cards with As and Bs and far fewer Fs. Moe, think of it this way. If you shortened a one mile race by 1/4 of a mile, your track team would break all standing one mile records, and almost anyone could finish the revised mile.
Lester

Harrodsburg, KY

#36 Oct 7, 2013
Educator wrote:
<quoted text>
Moe, You are kinda right. Mercer County Schools showed some improvement over the previous year. That is good. We had and still have a long way to go. When all the schools are grouped together Mercer County earned a "needs Improvement" ranking. The percentile ranking was 66 which when compared to a student's report card would be an F, but it is a higher F than the F from last year.
The high School was the only school which graded "proficient". That percentile rating was 77. When compared to the new grading scale that would be a C. That is an improvement from last year's F.
The lowest score was a 39 earned by the Immediate school. That is an extremely low score. The only way for that school is up.
The result is some good and some bad, but the fact that the scores have gotten better is good.
There a couple of reasons why the high school graduates a high percentage of it's students.
Mercer County created Mercer Central and it inherited the Day Treatment School from Harrodsburg. Between the two up to 40 at risk kids are skimmed from the high school leaving it without am many kids as usually would fail.
Secondly, like many schools, Mercer County lowered it grading scale some time back. This means many more report cards with As and Bs and far fewer Fs. Moe, think of it this way. If you shortened a one mile race by 1/4 of a mile, your track team would break all standing one mile records, and almost anyone could finish the revised mile.
Please don't be offended, but I feel the need to correct part of your statement. Mercer Central did not inherit the Harrodsburg Day Treatment program. They are two separate entities. The Day Treatment program still exists and is funded mostly by the District of Juvenile Justice. Mercer Central is an alternative high school program that began in an attempt to decrease the percentage of drop outs. Students from both Mercer and Burgin school districts may apply for enrollment. This program is for students who do not perform well in a regular classroom setting. Granted, a few may have been in Day Treatment previously, but in order to be accepted, they have to have improved their behavior.

As far as these scores go, my feeling is that they are somewhat meaningless. There is a new scoring rubric of accountability here in Kentucky. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges right now. We will need to wait until next year to be able to compare the apples to the apples. Part of this accountability required the school to assess itself. It is possible that some schools may have graded themselves harder than they should have out of fear of an audit. Others may have inflated their assessment. There are parts of this new accountability that are very subjective. As part of the Kentucky Educational Reform Act(KERA)back in 1990, all students were to test proficient by the year 2014. With that date fast approaching, it was obvious that Kentucky was not going to meet that goal. IMO, this new accountability scale was to save face.
Educator

Harrodsburg, KY

#37 Oct 9, 2013
Lester wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't be offended, but I feel the need to correct part of your statement. Mercer Central did not inherit the Harrodsburg Day Treatment program. They are two separate entities. The Day Treatment program still exists and is funded mostly by the District of Juvenile Justice. Mercer Central is an alternative high school program that began in an attempt to decrease the percentage of drop outs. Students from both Mercer and Burgin school districts may apply for enrollment. This program is for students who do not perform well in a regular classroom setting. Granted, a few may have been in Day Treatment previously, but in order to be accepted, they have to have improved their behavior.
As far as these scores go, my feeling is that they are somewhat meaningless. There is a new scoring rubric of accountability here in Kentucky. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges right now. We will need to wait until next year to be able to compare the apples to the apples. Part of this accountability required the school to assess itself. It is possible that some schools may have graded themselves harder than they should have out of fear of an audit. Others may have inflated their assessment. There are parts of this new accountability that are very subjective. As part of the Kentucky Educational Reform Act(KERA)back in 1990, all students were to test proficient by the year 2014. With that date fast approaching, it was obvious that Kentucky was not going to meet that goal. IMO, this new accountability scale was to save face.
You misread my statement. I know that Mercer Central and the Day Treatment school are separate. My point is that by skimming off up to 40 at risk kids Mercer County High school is bound to have a good graduation rate. My other point is that with a lower grading scale more kids will make passing marks and therefore more will graduate.

This test compared schools. One can look up the scores on line and find out how well all schools in the district compared with comparable grade levels of other schools. The comparison is not apple and oranges, but school to school.

While Mercer County did not do well as a district they were rated as needing improvement but progressing toward that goal. Compared to schools like Burgin, Mercer County looks good. Compared to schools like Boyle County it does not.
Lester

Harrodsburg, KY

#38 Oct 9, 2013
Educator wrote:
<quoted text>
You misread my statement. I know that Mercer Central and the Day Treatment school are separate. My point is that by skimming off up to 40 at risk kids Mercer County High school is bound to have a good graduation rate. My other point is that with a lower grading scale more kids will make passing marks and therefore more will graduate.
This test compared schools. One can look up the scores on line and find out how well all schools in the district compared with comparable grade levels of other schools. The comparison is not apple and oranges, but school to school.
While Mercer County did not do well as a district they were rated as needing improvement but progressing toward that goal. Compared to schools like Burgin, Mercer County looks good. Compared to schools like Boyle County it does not.
But, some would argue that comparing school to school is like comparing apples to oranges. The school culture, the diversity and the socio-economics are very different for each of the four schools mentioned. The only true way to show growth is to compare the individual school district's score from one year to its own individual school district's score for the next year. Also, unless I misunderstood, the part of the accountability score concerning Program Review, was self assessed. Whose to say that maybe Burgin scored themselves very hard and Boyle scored themselves easier?
Lester

Harrodsburg, KY

#39 Oct 9, 2013
Educator wrote:
<quoted text>
After re-reading your comment, I understand what you meant. Mercer County school district created Mercer Central AND the district also inherited the Day Treatment program.
Justified

Harrodsburg, KY

#41 Oct 22, 2013
Bayou Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell us Bartley, did you send your kids to The Westboro Baptist School? How are their grades in "Picketing Soldiers' Funerals 1" and "Flag Burning 3"? Did they pass "Bigotry 2" with flying colors?
How is old Rev. Fred Phelps these days?
I too used to think this was Bartley, but have reason to believe he is who he says he is. I don't believe this one is Bartley!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
15 dollar minimum wage 7 min Living Wage 12
Adam Hammack (Aug '12) 10 min Big un 15
helicopters n sirens 36 min YoYo 6
courthouse hotties 55 min nobody 22
Who got dem big titties n da burg 59 min nobody 5
Scott Wright 4 hr Donald Duck 50
What is religion---atheist needed 10 hr FDG 29
More from around the web

Harrodsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE