soccerfan

Danville, KY

#21 Nov 18, 2012
athletics can be an important part of the high school experience however they are extra-curricular and should NOT take priority over academics. At the same time should Mercer schools be looking to spend millions of dollars to add on to a the new high school? It does not make sense, add on to a school when you are closing a school to save money? and a final note on Boyle scores, how many of those high achieving students should actually be attending Mercer and surrounding districts but instead transfered to boyle?
lol

Harrodsburg, KY

#22 Nov 18, 2012
Keep DARE out of school wrote:
If the children could focus on education and not worry about being raped in school by the DARE officers or parents on drugs maybe the scores would be higher! Just a thought!
This comment was really unnecessary, Just saying.
Teach them kids

Harrodsburg, KY

#23 Nov 19, 2012
soccerfan wrote:
athletics can be an important part of the high school experience however they are extra-curricular and should NOT take priority over academics. At the same time should Mercer schools be looking to spend millions of dollars to add on to a the new high school? It does not make sense, add on to a school when you are closing a school to save money? and a final note on Boyle scores, how many of those high achieving students should actually be attending Mercer and surrounding districts but instead transfered to boyle?
I agree that athletics can be good for kids, but sports should never come before real education. Mercer County can afford to have a sports complex where teams can work out indoors and they can afford to have major sports coaches be paid a teacher's salary without teaching but they cannot afford to go all out for education. Could that be the reason for the low state tests? Concerning transfering students: I asked an administrator and he tells me this. State money is tied to the number of kids who attend school each day. If Johnny from Mercer County transfers to Boyle another Johnny must transfer from Boyle to Mercer. In other words schools lose money if transfer numbers do not equal out. He says that they exchange attendance contracts and that if one school gets greedy and takes more students than they lose the contracts will be withheld.

Mercer County thinking about adding to the new high school? That is one that I have not heard about.
soccerfan

Danville, KY

#24 Nov 21, 2012
let's face it the complex is here, a lot of the students benefit from having it so let's be great ful. Whether or not it should have been purchased doesn't really matter now. What we should be worried about now is making good decisions that will help raise our scores and prepare our children for the future. I think spending millions to add on to the new high school just to move the 9th grade over there is NOT responsible. Let's efficiently use the buildings we have and focus on teaching. A new school or wing will not help our academics improve! I'm proud when our teams do well, I admit but I am equally embarrased to see our test scores low.
Teach them kids

Harrodsburg, KY

#25 Nov 21, 2012
If this school board is so dumb that they are actually thinking about adding on to the high school when they have an abundnce of empty classrooms now they need to be replaced. Education is not about buildings, it is about teachers and using the available mone that they have to focus on what goes on in classrooms. According to the latest test data the Mercer County schools are not getting the job done. The future of Mercer County kids does not depend on an expensive sports complex or expensive coaches who do not coach, but on the teachers who do. Why do I harp on the emphasis on sports? BECAUSE THE EMPHSIS SHOULD BE ON KIDS IN THE CLASSROOM.
soccerfan

Danville, KY

#26 Nov 21, 2012
agree
marty

United States

#27 Nov 22, 2012
It,s always been that way around here,the schools could care less and so do the parents,less than 10% will ever go on to college around here,the rest will find jobs wherever and with whom ever will hire them,and what do you expect when 90% of the kids around here are dumb as a horse,s ass,anyway,all the teens seem to care about is who has the best looking, best running,most expensive truck mommie and daddy bought them with their hard earned money,and don,t tell me a 16,yr,old saved 30,000&& to buy that diesel truck,by working a part time minimum,wage job.
rebel19

Danville, KY

#28 Nov 22, 2012
There are some wonderful students and staff at mercer and not all are driving diesel trucks that's a generalization that does not help this discussion. The problem seems to be that some individuals think they can "buy" improvement. Buy more technology and that will fix the problem or buy a new wing for the 9th grade to move and that will fix the problem. These things will NOT fix the problem! Our test scores and consequently student achievement will improve when we hold the students and staff accountable. Encourage creative teaching, expose our students to outside experiences, expand the vocational program to encourage the students that don't want to attend a traditional college to further their education and become employable. But this will only happen when the parents and community members speak out and demand change. The students will only step up when they see relevance and receive support at home. This is why we have school board members that are elected. Contact them and let them know how you feel.
Bill

Wheeling, IL

#29 Nov 22, 2012
Teach them kids wrote:
If this school board is so dumb that they are actually thinking about adding on to the high school when they have an abundnce of empty classrooms now they need to be replaced. Education is not about buildings, it is about teachers and using the available mone that they have to focus on what goes on in classrooms. According to the latest test data the Mercer County schools are not getting the job done. The future of Mercer County kids does not depend on an expensive sports complex or expensive coaches who do not coach, but on the teachers who do. Why do I harp on the emphasis on sports? BECAUSE THE EMPHSIS SHOULD BE ON KIDS IN THE CLASSROOM.
Its evident you haven't been reading the paper. The folks recommending the addition to the HS is the Supt and Local Planning Committee. All the meeting notes can be found on the webpage of the Mercer School District. Education isn't about the building, we need teachers that can actually teach and parents that get involved.
Larry

Wheeling, IL

#30 Nov 22, 2012
rebel19 wrote:
There are some wonderful students and staff at mercer and not all are driving diesel trucks that's a generalization that does not help this discussion. The problem seems to be that some individuals think they can "buy" improvement. Buy more technology and that will fix the problem or buy a new wing for the 9th grade to move and that will fix the problem. These things will NOT fix the problem! Our test scores and consequently student achievement will improve when we hold the students and staff accountable. Encourage creative teaching, expose our students to outside experiences, expand the vocational program to encourage the students that don't want to attend a traditional college to further their education and become employable. But this will only happen when the parents and community members speak out and demand change. The students will only step up when they see relevance and receive support at home. This is why we have school board members that are elected. Contact them and let them know how you feel.
It seems Mercer Co has a Supt that wants to save his beloved program. Same o BS at Mercer.
marty

United States

#31 Nov 23, 2012
Bull,it,s all in the students not caring,knowing the school system will pass them no matter what their grade,s,i,ve seen it time and time again,students who can,t tie their own shoe,s being passed/graduated from high school,with grades so low any other school would have failed them,it,s all in who you know,if you are well know in this community,you recieve special consideration,just like when these teens get out and get into trouble,someone pulls a few string,s and they get off with a slap on the wrist,and so it is the same when graduating high school,the teachers feel sorry for them and let them slip by.
Whats up

Harrodsburg, KY

#32 Nov 23, 2012
marty wrote:
Bull,it,s all in the students not caring,knowing the school system will pass them no matter what their grade,s,i,ve seen it time and time again,students who can,t tie their own shoe,s being passed/graduated from high school,with grades so low any other school would have failed them,it,s all in who you know,if you are well know in this community,you recieve special consideration,just like when these teens get out and get into trouble,someone pulls a few string,s and they get off with a slap on the wrist,and so it is the same when graduating high school,the teachers feel sorry for them and let them slip by.
You mention "passing them no matter what." This takes us back to why I started this thread. The state test scores are bad for both of the two school system in Mercer County. The test scores are much better for counties around us, especially Boyle County. Are our kids dumber than kids in those counties? I say no. I say that part of the reason is that the local schools have DUMBED down the grading scale. Parents who see a huge list of honor roll students listed in the Harrodsburg Herald thinks that means that the schools are doing great. Junior brings home all As and Bs and Momsie and Dadums think their kid is a brain. Today's grade cards are like the dollar. An A is worth much less today than when parents were in school! Back to "passing them no matter what" One local school has bragged that they graduate a high percentage of their students. So what? If you pass everybody, everybody graduates. Parents get involved.
rebel19

Danville, KY

#33 Nov 23, 2012
if you think these problems are isolated to Mercer County you are sadly mistaken. This has been a trend nationally for a long time. Remember No Child Left Behind. Everyone must succeed! I think a lot of teachers and schools in general grew tired or are not financially able to challenge laws like this and it is so much easier to pass a child than risk a law suit. The result is a watered down curriculum that hurts even the best students and prevents them from being challenged. The only way positive change can occur is if enough parents get involved and force change. Look at any of the successful schools private or public they all have something in common "involved parents" with high expectations. Schools like Beechwood, Highlands Lex Catholic etc. etc the parents demand that their children receive a first class education and they get it. Places where parents are silent get what they get!
marty

United States

#35 Nov 23, 2012
Well what do expect from a crappie little town like this,when everything else around here needs so much improvement, like our police dept.judicial and every thing around, peoples attitude,s would help,if the older generation would act half civilized and teach their brats a few more manners,maybe they would take their education more seriosly and improve.
Whats up

Harrodsburg, KY

#36 Nov 24, 2012
The Danville paper had a story yesterday about Burgin firing their girls basketball coach. Players are upset with one player being quoted as saying "I hate my school." That explains a lot. When sports are more important than academics, academics suffer. A friend tells me that people are upset over there. How about being upset about the state test scores.
Well

Harrodsburg, KY

#37 Nov 24, 2012
I heard some of the seniors at Burgin talking about the school passing seniors that had failed subjects all the year long. They lowered their grade scale so some could pass. But some still failed the whole year and got to graduate also. If this is true. Then it is wrong. I do know a person who failed algebra all the whole year and still graduated. How can this be so? If this did happen then the school will have to do this with other seniors every year.
marty

United States

#38 Nov 24, 2012
To most it is the only thing,in hard economic times,sports programs and activity,s should be cut,what gets me UK,will spend millions on a coach,then turn around and announce college tuition will be increased,if they the school,can come up with millions to pay a coach,why raise tuition on the students,to me it is wasteful,and certainly not fair to the students who want an education.if it a stupid or ridiculous project the school,or the state,or someone will come up with the money to pay for it.
rebel19

Danville, KY

#39 Nov 24, 2012
Part of the new Obama plan to make college affordable and get more people to attend school is to tie money for grants etc. Not on enrolement as it currently does but on graduation. Do you think college diplomas will go the way of a high school diploma and be essentially meaningless? What I mean is that if universities are only going to receive money for graduates, or atleast have some money tied to graduates then doesn't it seem logical that they will encourage "passing" students in order to get paid. So while a high school diploma is not really an indication that a graduate can necessarily read and write then won't the same be true of a college diplome?
dear marty

Willisburg, KY

#40 Nov 24, 2012
You are always on your high horse about something, when maybe you should take a look in the mirror. What stood in your way when teachers taught you to use an apostrophe(') and not a comma(,) when using words like activities which doesn't have either. Here's one: attitudes. Also doesn't need either, nor does grades. Finally I find one: I've. And that's <---- see what I did there-- just a couple mistakes of your rants on education when you talk as though you sat in the back and either slept or played with yourself all day. If you don't like the town and it makes you so very unhappy, then why are you here? And what exactly are you doing to make it better besides complaining on Topix?
How could

Harrodsburg, KY

#41 Nov 26, 2012
Well wrote:
I heard some of the seniors at Burgin talking about the school passing seniors that had failed subjects all the year long. They lowered their grade scale so some could pass. But some still failed the whole year and got to graduate also. If this is true. Then it is wrong. I do know a person who failed algebra all the whole year and still graduated. How can this be so? If this did happen then the school will have to do this with other seniors every year.
Burgin puts the honor roll in the Harrodsburg paper. Usually up to half of their kids make the honor roll. How can this happen when they score needs improvement of the state tests? Also the girls basketball coach is fired. The new one is a so called paraprofessional. Don't we want real teachers coaching our kids? I don't know if they graduate kids who don't pass. I know that years ago they let kids who did not earn enough credits to graduate walk across the stage and fake graduation. Maybe they are doing this again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrodsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min Reality 4,530
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Le Jimbo 153,111
stealing from walmart 17 min LP Guy 26
KKK leaflets along Beaumont Ave 25 min wow 22
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 28 min Man From The Edge... 81,632
some history of this town 40 min snickers 8
robbie williams 50 min What r u saying 7
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Harrodsburg People Search