Teens can't bring coffee to school

Teens can't bring coffee to school

Posted in the Harrisonburg Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mom of teenagers

Oakvale, WV

#1 Aug 15, 2006
Because there were 30 incidents of alcohol showing up on county campuses, students from kindergarten to middle school won't be allowed to drink anything during class unless they visit the water fountain. And high schoolers will be allowed to drink only from water bottles while in class. This is a new dictum from Rockingham County Schools, headquartered in Harrisonburg, Virginia.

Can we possibly come up with any more rules for these teens? It's not like we're letting them smoke out in the courtyard like MY generation was allowed to do. Do 30 stupid children really have so much power that they can spoil the comfort and convenience of thousands of children in one of the highest-scoring (on SOL's) districts in our state?

Why punish these kids who work so hard to please their teachers and administrators and parents? Dr. Kidd gets to brag about his county to other administrators. Our school board representatives now have a golden pedestal on which to stand when they run for state assembly. They should thank our students (and their teachers and parents) for doing so well that they can claim glory as they go on to their higher aspirations. This latest restriction is just selfish and cruel.
Laura S

Sellersville, PA

#2 Aug 21, 2006
When I was in school, we were not permitted to have drinks in the classroom. It's a miracle, but I survived. This is not 'cruel'. In fact, if anything it prepares them for the harsh realities of adult life. Many workplaces don't permit consumption of beverages except at break times(usually 2 breaks per day). These 'poor' teens get a break during which they can have a drink usually about every one to two hours. They will not dehydrate! We need to stop coddling these kids and prepare them for the real world.
Mom of teenagers

Hillsboro, WV

#3 Aug 21, 2006
I don't coddle my children. One is in the National Honor Society, the Latin Honor Society, the soccer team, works at a soup kitchen on Sundays. The other works 40 hours a week AND goes to school full time. Both have straight A's. My children are responsible young adults and should be treated as such. From 7:20 a.m. to lunch at 11:30 a.m., they have no breaks. A cup of coffee is hardly coddling. We're cracking down on the wrong people. We should be cracking down on parents who let their children stay home because of a bad hair day, or because they didn't do the homework due that day. Those are the people that are spoiling their children.
Mature Teen

New Hope, VA

#4 Aug 27, 2006
I agree with mom of teenagers..
Why should we, the hard working students get punished simply because 30 kids didn't seem to follow the rules. Letting us have drinks is not coddling, it is showing that they feel we are responsible enough to be able to drink in class. The people taking this away from us are just showing us that they don't trust us because 30 kids did something wrong. We work hard and take hard classes and the only thing that we ask for is a drink!
Linda

Coatesville, PA

#5 Aug 28, 2006
Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. What does hard working students have to do with anything? As students ourselves, when we were young, we too were hard working. We didn't dare be anything else. Life is too competitive to not do a good job in school either then or now. What does being hard working and good students have to do with drinking in class? We managed to get by without drinking coffee in class. Do your children need the coffee to stay awake while they work in class? I am sorry, i agree with Laura S. these kids should be able to go without drinking or eating while in class. We were not even allowed to chew gum in class, and i bet you were not either mom of teens..did you feel like you were being mistreated? If your children are getting enough sleep at night, and getting a good breakfast before school , then they should not need to drink coffee in class. Of course, if they are too busy working 40 hours on school nights, and you are too busy to make sure that they eat something good before school, then of course, allow them to drink coffee to stay awake in class.
Mom of Teens

Moab, UT

#6 Oct 9, 2006
Linda wrote:
Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. What does hard working students have to do with anything? As students ourselves, when we were young, we too were hard working. We didn't dare be anything else. Life is too competitive to not do a good job in school either then or now. What does being hard working and good students have to do with drinking in class? We managed to get by without drinking coffee in class. Do your children need the coffee to stay awake while they work in class? I am sorry, i agree with Laura S. these kids should be able to go without drinking or eating while in class. We were not even allowed to chew gum in class, and i bet you were not either mom of teens..did you feel like you were being mistreated? If your children are getting enough sleep at night, and getting a good breakfast before school , then they should not need to drink coffee in class. Of course, if they are too busy working 40 hours on school nights, and you are too busy to make sure that they eat something good before school, then of course, allow them to drink coffee to stay awake in class.
Tell me about the last time you sat listening to people lecture you from 8:15 to 12:30 without a potty break, a cup of coffee, a glass of water. What about the 5 minutes between classes, you say? Tell me about the last time you were given a potty break of only 5 minutes which included traveling from one end of a large campus to the other. The rule about drinks or snacks in the classroom being a EXPULSION-worthy offense is pretty cruel. When I was in school, back when kids weren't as spoiled as they are today, we had 15 minute breaks at 10 a.m., we could eat lunch outside in the grass on a sunny day, we could open the windows in the classroom, we could leave the campus to grab lunch at McDonalds. Gee, those days were so tough, weren't they? I wish I could be an elementary school student today who, when he has to go to the bathroom, has to be accompanied by the entire class because the "buddy system" isn't considered safe enough anymore. Have a heart, people. They're kids, and supposedly we love them.
cheyenne

Potomac, MD

#7 Oct 29, 2006
I agree with mom of teens because I'm in school myself. We should be able to have coffee.Even if I get enough sleep and a good breakfast, I'm still very tired during classes.
crystal

San Francisco, CA

#8 Jan 17, 2007
why the hell the parents don't let us eat in class if we get good grades for them come on arguing just for eating in scool that's the stupidest thing i ever heard
Stupid

Grand Island, NY

#9 May 12, 2009
That is Stupid
Stupid

Grand Island, NY

#10 May 12, 2009
Mom of teenagers wrote:
Because there were 30 incidents of alcohol showing up on county campuses, students from kindergarten to middle school won't be allowed to drink anything during class unless they visit the water fountain. And high schoolers will be allowed to drink only from water bottles while in class. This is a new dictum from Rockingham County Schools, headquartered in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Can we possibly come up with any more rules for these teens? It's not like we're letting them smoke out in the courtyard like MY generation was allowed to do. Do 30 stupid children really have so much power that they can spoil the comfort and convenience of thousands of children in one of the highest-scoring (on SOL's) districts in our state?
Why punish these kids who work so hard to please their teachers and administrators and parents? Dr. Kidd gets to brag about his county to other administrators. Our school board representatives now have a golden pedestal on which to stand when they run for state assembly. They should thank our students (and their teachers and parents) for doing so well that they can claim glory as they go on to their higher aspirations. This latest restriction is just selfish and cruel. I like turtles.
Turles are cool.
Dennis

Syracuse, NY

#11 Jul 24, 2009
Well, my school doesn't even allow anyone to drink the water fountains, OR bring water bottles now.

They shut down the water fountains, they are on only during the summer, and for the summer school kids.
Patel

Brentwood, TN

#12 Dec 17, 2009
Coffee is extremely harmful to adults and teens. Take it from a physician's perspective. Instead of purchasing a fancy coffee maker, invest on a juicer and make delicious and healthy combinations.
Fresh Orange-Carrot-Ginger juice in the morning will start you right up. I practice this every single day and I tell my patients to do the same.
bobet

Harrisonburg, VA

#13 Jan 21, 2010
Mom of teenagers wrote:
I don't coddle my children. One is in the National Honor Society, the Latin Honor Society, the soccer team, works at a soup kitchen on Sundays. The other works 40 hours a week AND goes to school full time. Both have straight A's. My children are responsible young adults and should be treated as such. From 7:20 a.m. to lunch at 11:30 a.m., they have no breaks. A cup of coffee is hardly coddling. We're cracking down on the wrong people. We should be cracking down on parents who let their children stay home because of a bad hair day, or because they didn't do the homework due that day. Those are the people that are spoiling their children.
All I can say is if the comment fits then take it to heart. So as the old saying goes, to put it simpler, "If the shoe fits, wear it."
bobet

Harrisonburg, VA

#14 Jan 21, 2010
When I was going to school, there were no drinks allowed in the classroom. I didn't die from not drinking every time the urge hit me. The "real world" isn't going to pamper our kids. It is a hard out in the "real world". Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way, unfortunately.
bobet

Harrisonburg, VA

#15 Jan 21, 2010
Dennis wrote:
Well, my school doesn't even allow anyone to drink the water fountains, OR bring water bottles now.
They shut down the water fountains, they are on only during the summer, and for the summer school kids.
I can understand not having the water bottles but not the water fountains. I don't agree with not being able to have anything to drink throughout the day between classes. That is cruel.
bobet

Harrisonburg, VA

#16 Jan 21, 2010
After reading the majority of these comments, maybe the kids nowadays need to be put in a position that you have to wash your clothes on a wash board, cook for hours to get a meal, work from dawn to dusk and maybe it will show them and teach them how easy they really have it.
think again Laura S

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Apr 10, 2010
you guys are all whining about how we have it easier, but remember this, when you guys were our age you had it easier than your parents, so its only fair that we have it easier then our parents. its the fact of life. and about drinks in school, i am a sophmore in highscool and i am taking senior classes not to be showing off but i am pretty smart and i work hard to get my perfect grades. my most important classes are at the end of the day, when i am extreamly tired,hungry, and have a headach. a cup of coffee is exactly what i need to be awake during those hard classes but i am not alowed to have it. the teachers can drink in front of us but were only allowed to watch. how is that fair? dont make a comment about something that you know nothing about. you take a week in owr shoes and youll be whining before that week is over. i guarentee it.

Since: Apr 10

Winchester, VA

#18 Apr 13, 2010
this is just F'in retarded...ok now they can just put moon shine in the water bottles done in and that was the best day of school ever lol sometimes I wish I was back in school...

Since: Apr 10

Winchester, VA

#19 Apr 13, 2010
Mom of teenagers wrote:
I don't coddle my children. One is in the National Honor Society, the Latin Honor Society, the soccer team, works at a soup kitchen on Sundays. The other works 40 hours a week AND goes to school full time. Both have straight A's. My children are responsible young adults and should be treated as such. From 7:20 a.m. to lunch at 11:30 a.m., they have no breaks. A cup of coffee is hardly coddling. We're cracking down on the wrong people. We should be cracking down on parents who let their children stay home because of a bad hair day, or because they didn't do the homework due that day. Those are the people that are spoiling their children.
WTF do you let your kids have any free time? you kind of people make me sick! let your kids be kids becouse once they grow up there going to be out of time and there childhood is over so let them play and have fun, they dont have to work all the time or only work on school work all the time, let them get durty and quit sheltering them so much!

XD357Sig

“Killed by the thought Police”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#20 Apr 14, 2010
DrivinYota wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF do you let your kids have any free time? you kind of people make me sick! let your kids be kids becouse once they grow up there going to be out of time and there childhood is over so let them play and have fun, they dont have to work all the time or only work on school work all the time, let them get durty and quit sheltering them so much!
Heck no ! give them too much free time and they end up knocked up and on drugs ! start working them when they turn 3 , nothing wrong with making them clean the whole house while you sit and watch soaps and eat bon bons ....Geez the nerve of some people, why the heck do you think they got kids in the first place ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrisonburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Custody/Divorce Lawyers Apr '16 concerned parents18 1
Nicolette Edwards Myers Apr '16 vamomentum 1
fitted bed rooms Yorkshire UK Mar '16 Corazon7 1
beth Jackson Mar '16 junkie she is 4
Debate: Marijuana - Harrisonburg, VA (Aug '10) Mar '16 John Mullins 42
News Cat Beating Harrisonburg officer euthanizes cat... (Nov '11) Mar '16 who was it 4
krusty panties Mar '16 I know who you are 1

Harrisonburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harrisonburg Mortgages