Martha Jefferson to Merge with Sentara

Martha Jefferson to Merge with Sentara

There are 20 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Sep 29, 2010, titled Martha Jefferson to Merge with Sentara. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Martha Jefferson Hospital announced that it is merging with Sentara. Sentara is a not-for-profit health partner with hospitals and outpatient facilities in southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Since: Aug 10

Earlysville, VA

#1 Sep 29, 2010
I have been through two instances of the company I worked for being acquired by another company. In both instances similar statements were made regarding no changes. In both instances it turned out differently. In one case the local plant was shut down. In the other case a totally new management team (foreigners) was brought in. In both cases it was a negative experience for me.

It remains to be seen how this merger will affect MJH. I know that now I much prefer using MJH than UVA. I hope it remains that way.
abcd

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Sep 29, 2010
I hope it remains the same too. They are very efficient and the staff is pleasant.
dcba

Powhatan, VA

#3 Sep 29, 2010
what a shame, one moment you are reading that the old hospital sells for far less then it was worth , millions les . then you hear on the news that they are merging with sentara. only one question what about the employees ? did they have a say so in this matter ? after all theres a lot of staff that has worked for this hospital for 20 years or more and i mean a lot of staff . or was this done like everything else put the staff last and let then know when the deal has been done, doesn't it matter what the staff thinks ? shouldn't the have had a say so
Maybe

Altavista, VA

#4 Sep 29, 2010
Does anybody really think this is going to be good for the community, for the MJH staff, etc.? No way. Having had experiences recently with both UVA and MJM, I can tell you that our family's experience with MJH was nothing short of terrible. However, the UVA staff, nurses, doctors, etc., were caring, professional, life affirming. Don't write off the UVA Hospital.
Skeptical

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Sep 29, 2010
dcba wrote:
what a shame, one moment you are reading that the old hospital sells for far less then it was worth , millions les . then you hear on the news that they are merging with sentara. only one question what about the employees ? did they have a say so in this matter ? after all theres a lot of staff that has worked for this hospital for 20 years or more and i mean a lot of staff . or was this done like everything else put the staff last and let then know when the deal has been done, doesn't it matter what the staff thinks ? shouldn't the have had a say so
To answer two of your questions:

did they [staff] have a say so in this matter? No.
doesn't it matter what the staff thinks? No.

It's a business deal.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#6 Sep 29, 2010
Skeptical wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer two of your questions:
did they [staff] have a say so in this matter? No.
doesn't it matter what the staff thinks? No.
It's a business deal.
I cannot imagine staff or employees having any say so in a business deal, regardless as to how long they have been employed. I have never heard of this and hopefully never will. Speaking of confusion!

Since: Aug 10

Earlysville, VA

#7 Sep 29, 2010
Skeptical is correct, there is no way the employees had a say. Still there is a chance (a slight chance) that things could be better for both employees and patients due to the merger with a much larger system. Only time will tell.
cvillemom

Rustburg, VA

#8 Sep 29, 2010
Skeptical is correct - It is a business deal.
If everything was hunky dory at MJH, they wouldn't have been looking for a partner. But when you take a good look at what is happening, you realize that the smaller hospitals cannot keep up with the technological advances, treat their employees well, offer compassionate high quality care, and still survive financially. They need the buying power and "efficiency" of a large institution in order to stay solvent. And usually this means that some things are going to have to change, or there would be no benefit from the merger. Looking down the road as more of Obamacare takes effect, and with the slashes to Medicare payments and higher taxes, the administration of MJH was wise to find a solution now.
Hospital mergers are no different than any other business - family farms are swallowed up by large agribusinesses, the mom & pops are crushed by the large grocery chains, and the 5 and dimes are gobbled by Walmart. There may still be some compassionate workers at MJH, but they will be forced to spend less time chatting with patients and become more productive.
Leslie Love

Atlanta, GA

#10 Sep 29, 2010
So, NO money will change hands....ALL decisions will stay local....nothing will change...so...whats the point?
I guess TIME WILL TELL......
Looks like its time for change...HI HO HI HO ITS OFF TO UVA WE GO !!!

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Sep 30, 2010
Believe me you don't know the half of it (regarding the staff having a say so). I worked for MJH for 20 years. They started out the "Caring Hospital" and now all they are trying to do is save themselves after biting off more than they could chew building this new hospital. I saw it coming way down the road. I also work for UVA and while it is a big corporation (which I see MJH becoming), you kind of know where things are coming from. I won't go into details but I quit my job at MJH because I knew it was a matter of time before someone was sent it to "clean house" and it happened as I predicted. All MJH cares for now is the almight dollar and how to pay for that new building. Frankly, having been a patient and MJH and UVA, I will take UVA any day. While MJH used to be the "caring hospital" I prefer skill, knowledge and expertise over all the frills that MJH claims to offer. I've never had a bad experience at UVA and at least I know the doctors are top-notch. Before anyone says anything else, i work for a specialty division here and you would not believe the number of calls I get daily from MJH based doctors asking us to see their patients. Politics are politics and I have seen and experienced my fair share at both UVA and MJH, but after this money hungry, so-called merger, I have lost much respect for MJH. And I agree with some of the posts above, they can promise you nothing will change, that it will be a local hospital still. Do they think we are really that stupid? I ask you.

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#12 Sep 30, 2010
This is all in preparation for Obama Care. Sentara is a "not for profit" hospital that is expanding its influence in order to handle all of the new patients. They have also merged with the new Rockingham Memorial Hospital. Trust me when I say that hospital Execs have seen this change coming for a long time. And the end result will be A LOWER QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#13 Sep 30, 2010
I thought this wasn't supposed to happen Mr. Obama!

McDonald’s health care plans for some of its workers could soon go the way of its trans fat cooking oil. That is to say, the fast food giant is considering dropping coverage for nearly 30,000 workers unless a mandate in the new health care law is changed, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The Journal reports that last week a senior McDonald‘s official informed the Department of Health and Human Services that the restaurant chain’s insurer won’t meet a 2011 requirement to spend at least 80% to 85% of its premium revenue on medical care.

Currently, McDonald’s offers “mini-med” programs to workers at 10,500 U.S. locations. Those plans allow a single worker to pay $14 a week for a plan that caps annual benefits at $2,000, or about $32 a week to get coverage up to $10,000 a year, the paper explains.

But McDonald’s and trade groups say the percentage requirement, called a medical loss ratio, is unrealistic for mini-med plans “due to high administrative costs owing to frequent worker turnover, combined with relatively low spending on claims.”

The requirement was originally included in the law by Democrats who wanted to curb executive compensation and other costs that lawmakers determined as not directly helping patients.

The Journal based its report on a McDonald’s memo:

McDonald’s, in a memo to federal officials, said “it would be economically prohibitive for our carrier to continue offering” the mini-med plan unless it got an exemption from the requirement to spend 80% to 85% of premiums on benefits.…
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Sep 30, 2010
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
This is all in preparation for Obama Care. Sentara is a "not for profit" hospital that is expanding its influence in order to handle all of the new patients. They have also merged with the new Rockingham Memorial Hospital. Trust me when I say that hospital Execs have seen this change coming for a long time. And the end result will be A LOWER QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!
You can count on that. Hospital administrators will take care of themselves and their facilty any way they can. We will all have health care, it will be lower-quality, which we will pay more of in co-pays, and charges "now allowed" to be covered by insurance. Next you will see a degradation of healthcare provided by this and other employers. It has already begun with higher co-pays and reduced coverage. Celebrate now, fans of Obamacare -- praise be to mediocrity for the masses and excellence for those with Federal insurance and the rich that can afford to pay the difference. Goodbye to the middle class.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Sep 30, 2010
29 News, please delete the second of the posts above. I hit "Post Comment" twice by accident.

Thank you.
GoHoos

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Sep 30, 2010
(The New) Rockingham Memorial Hospital was deteriorating financially which affected their quality of care. With Martha Jefferson Hospital...the new building went beyond their budget (or what they collected). Sentara is going to save these hospitals and I heard in the grapevine Augusta Medical Center is next. Another rumor emerged stating that UVA offered to partner with MJH but it wasn't accepted (I guess because it wasn't enough money to keep them out of the hole?
Tom

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Sep 30, 2010
GoHoos wrote:
(The New) Rockingham Memorial Hospital was deteriorating financially which affected their quality of care. With Martha Jefferson Hospital...the new building went beyond their budget (or what they collected). Sentara is going to save these hospitals and I heard in the grapevine Augusta Medical Center is next. Another rumor emerged stating that UVA offered to partner with MJH but it wasn't accepted (I guess because it wasn't enough money to keep them out of the hole?
Many have said that RMH will remain...well RMH. And we are told that MJH will remain...well MJH. All because Sentara is just too far away. when they get AMC, 33% of their facilities will be on this side of the state and they will not be too far, they will be here. I would guess when AMC falls, you will see the all the names change at the same time, I would give it 2 years no more, probably less.
mtngurl

Norfolk, VA

#18 Sep 30, 2010
hey guys chill out and calm down a bit. i work for sentara and i will tell you that sentara takes care of their employees. i promise you that. sentara is a really good health care facility, just wait until you experience it for your selves before you start to worry; i am for real, sentara is great to work for. i am in an entry level position so please don't think i am in an admisistration type job. they really do look out for their employees of course there will be a few who complains but it will be those who have forgot what it's like to be un-employed. to bad the money stays the same because SENTARA TAKES CARE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES--------PROMISE YOU THAT!!!! don't worry you will love it
Hoo Fan

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Sep 30, 2010
Another rumor emerged stating that UVA offered to partner with MJH but it wasn't accepted (I guess because it wasn't enough money to keep them out of the hole?

No rumor, it's a fact. This information was included in an email to the UVa employees. This was also included in a story which ran on the news last night. Mr. Howell stated his disappointment in MJH not accepting the offer but wished them well.

Since: Aug 09

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Oct 1, 2010
Hate to bust your bubble mtngurl, but my best friend went from a MJH employee to a Sentara employee when MJH sold out one of their departments. She has never been more unhappy at her job. They started out doing her dirty and continue to do so, she has no choice but to work. Maybe in Norfolk things are different, but here, Sentara is no better than being employed at MJH or UVA. I've been employed by both.

And yes, Hoo Fan, no rumor, we got the email yesterday, made me want to laugh, really.
nursey

Mobile, AL

#21 Oct 7, 2010
Why must we always complain? Are you employed? Do you go hungry? Can you sleep at night out of the elements warm or cool depending on the weather? Please people I would bet you complain to hear yourself talk. WORSE THINGS CAN HAPPEN!!! Go on with your day and smile, do your job, contribute and stop your mouth from speaking evil. Negativity is like a nasty weed that grows until it chokes out a beautiful flower. Look at others that have nothing and be thankful to what the LORD has given you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrisonburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JMU students fighting for illegal aliens Sat Marie 1
Virginia Department Corrections Jan 26 Failed Leadership 1
H black Jan '18 Pittsburghgirl 1
Review: Biery & Paulette - Kathryn A Biery DDS (Jun '09) Jan '18 va2medina 37
Virginia Department Corrections Nov '17 Failed Leadership 1
Don't Shop at Toys R Us anymore: Stores will sh... Oct '17 Mandy Hobbs 1
News Community Bulletin Board (Oct '07) Sep '17 Carlos 3

Harrisonburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance