Linda

Cornelius, NC

#22 Jul 1, 2012
This is the only range in the CLT area that I feel safe going into. It's not just that "women"
are there to assist but that they take safety very seriously. I know that people that have watched the "refresher" video are going to be more aware of their surroundings and equipment.
It's one of the cleanest facilities in the area.
I like that the range officer is visible and actively engaged.
And just a note to the testosterone filled
complaintants above, Please use the broom to sweep the area around you, it's not just for the "women" to use!
SteveK

Waxhaw, NC

#23 Jul 31, 2012
great facility...you will not find a cleaner indoor shoot range that is cleaner and safer. Why are you complaining about the cost of your hobby? It's a hobby most... of the really fun ones are not cheap. when you go to this range look behind you at the firing line up at the round vents on above the windows to the rental counter. If you find another facility that has an air filtration system like this....then and only then you should consider other matters like price of guns and ammo. otherwise you are taking the functionality of your liver in grave disregard.

For those complaining about the TMJ FMJ issue. More research is required. The ammo makers are here in the US and abroad...among the three major ones they all label their boxes differently there is no international standard definition so its the manufactures who are mix it up. If you have a concern request that the range master pull a round and make a determination! don't just hide behind your computer screen and grip...there may very well be more to the story and you're ill-informed.

Great work The range at lake norman. keep up the good work and know that you will not please everyone.
NCBeagle

Charlotte, NC

#24 Aug 26, 2012
I visited the range today. Very nice facility, climate controlled, lounge, and friendly staff. Wanted to try the simulator, but it was down. The other range that I visit does not allow rifle calibers. I just purchased an AR-15 and will probably buy a membship.
MikeR

Kannapolis, NC

#25 Sep 15, 2012
I saw a lot of so-so posts on this facility but I went to check it out for myself. The facility is very clean. Lanes are modern and well lite. Prices, yes a bit on the high side on some items, but not all. There was a revolver I looked at and it was about 45 dollars more than the same gun at Outdoor World but the professionalism and courtesy of the staff says a lot and I would think that first time buyers or females not comfortable with the busy nature of Outdoor World may appreciate the focused approach to customer service.

Is it FMJ or TMJ? Lets be clear you only have to use ammo from the range if you are a) renting a weapon, not an unreasonable restriction, or you have ammo that has led exposed anywhere on the projectile. I had some ammo I purchased from a company in Georgia that was advertised as FMJ but the friendly associate had no problem in taking the time to pull the bullet and validate that it does qualify as Total Metal Jacket, TMJ. I doubt any other range would have bothered.

With gunsmith on site a huge selection of pistols, not so much revolvers, and rifles the selection is very good.

I did purchase 1000 rounds of .40 in bulk, it was about 15 dollars more than my other source but then again I avoided a) the wait and b) the shipping charges.

Range fees are reasonable because the charge is for extended use of the range where other ranges charge by the hour and that can add up quickly.

All in all I would suggest you not take my word for it but check the range out for yourself.
SCH

Charlotte, NC

#26 Oct 6, 2012
I had a great time at The Range at Lake Norman. The staff was helpful and very considerate. We had a newbie in our group and the staff took informative care and consideration with instruction and guidance. Safety was a priority. Appreciated the cleanliness and the great staff. Will definitely do business here often in the future!
Standing tall

China Grove, NC

#27 Oct 6, 2012
Not hearing good things about this place word of mouth. And on this blog.

Seems to be exspensive.that's why I prefer to shoot on land.
It seems this is also a place to be seen at the lake . And hang out.
Kim

Charlotte, NC

#28 Dec 8, 2012
I went here for the first time today, and had a really great experience. I went there with a living social voucher that covered rental, range, eye/ear, 1 box of ammo and 1 target, so I can't really comment on price- all I paid for was an extra target and 2 extra boxes of ammo. I've been shooting a couple times before- once with a friend (male) in SC and once by myself in PA (where I'm originally from). Now, my opinion might be skewed, because the employees in the PA range did nothing but talk down to me, but the fact that the male employees here had a very polite conversation with me, and didn't treat me like a silly 15 year old makes this a place I will definitely patronize and recommend. It's been a while since I've gone shooting, so I was also pleasantly surprised when one of the employees stopped by to give me a couple friendly pointers while I was shooting. If I were a male, veteran gunman, I might happily go somewhere less expensive, but being treated like an equal definitely is worth a little extra money to come here on a regular basis.
John Concord NC

Concord, NC

#29 Dec 31, 2012
The negative comments that I read above are so far off my personal experience, that I wonder what planet this people are from. I have purchased 2 handguns from the Range, shot there more than 5 or six times. and even took my son there to shoot for his birthday. If there is an unfriendly person that is emplyed there I have never meet them. They have always been friendly and extremely helpful.
I have a disability that made m reluctant for years to take up shooting as a sport. In one class they changed all that.
I highly recommend the Range.
Bill - LKN

Mooresville, NC

#30 Jan 27, 2013
Just to set the record straight, the range owner posted a comment stating they were new, thus they haven't had time to build up inventory, however, they owned a shop on Jetton called "LKN Sporting Arms" that was open for many years. The father and son who manned the previous shop seem to have taken a backseat and have hired a number of new employees and seem to be placing emphasis on trying to hire females and attract female clientele. The owners wife is pleasant and customer focused and seems to know her stuff. Another female employee was new and pointed an unloaded rifle at me a time or two during her mishandling of the firearm. The several times I've been there employees have tried to sell me on "lightly used consigned guns that belong to range employees" rather than sell me a new item off the shelf or special order an item that's not in inventory. Caveat emptor. I do quite a bit of research online prior to shopping in store and I find only about 25% of the employees I have encountered here (2 of 8) to actually be knowledgeable of the product they are selling. One of the employees made a funny comment comparing their ammo prices to Hyatt's this past weekend in justification of the price increase. If you're benchmarking yourself against Hyatt's, then maybe I should go spend my money somewhere else, because I'm not a fan.
Gunperson

Cornelius, NC

#31 Feb 7, 2013
I have been to the Range several times since last summer. Like meh said I saw an employee going through a guys range bag while he was watching the required video. I don't personally like anyone messing with my stuff but more importantly I don't like someone messing with a gun that may be loaded and they are not familiar with. Also the place they place the guns creates another unsafe situation for people in the showroom as I saw several people swept with the weapon. I am afriad that eventually there will be an AD if this continues. As far as the TMJ stuff, I heard that due to ammo shortage they have started charging $30-$40 a box and limiting you to one box. The Range is really nice (but a little stuffy) and I hope they do well. But I feel their ammo policy will eventually be their demise. I know I would buy a membership if not for the ammo policy. I own quite a few guns and some I rarely shoot. I would love to very often drop in and shoot a few rounds but if I have to buy a box of ammo for every gun it is just not practical (I have pistols in 22,380,9mm,38sp,357 mag,41 mag,44 mag,40sw, 45acp,45lc,357 sig). Plus I would rather shoot the ammo that I will be using in my guns especailly my carry guns. Again I think it is a great facility and am still hoping their ammo policy will change.
DAC

Mooresville, NC

#32 Feb 20, 2013
Have to agree with the negative comments... 'Tactical Range' 25/hr and only allowed to shoot 25 yard distance (this is not conducive to zeroing a weapon without a spotting scope). Staff was not knowledgable, at least with my firearm... The range safety who inspects the weapons prior to going on the range had no idea what he was looking it, in my gun case.. Shotgun ammo was marked up about 75%. The target holders require a deposit, and if shot will cost you $6.00, mine was shot, and not by me, out $6.00. I won't go back.. I live in Mooresville and in my opinion Point blank is a far superior range with extremely knowledgable, friendly, and accommodating staff.. Lake Norman range staff acted as though everyone walking trough the door was a NOOB... Checking out was an even bigger hassle... Apparently it was extremely difficult to break up a tab between 2 credit cards (I was sharing a range with my friend)... In addition, there is no rapid fire allowed (something that is a needed proficiency during a deadly force situation).. Only double taps allowed. I went there because my local range was closed on Mondays, guess I won't go to the range on Mondays anymore... Anyway, just this guys opinion, formulate your own once you have attended other ranges and have enough experience to compare
Mike D

Matthews, NC

#33 Feb 21, 2013
There are some legitimate concerns in these last few posts, the one being main barrel discipline. That being said most of what has been stated is easily addressed. However, and this doesn’t lessen the severity of the mistakes made, as responsible gun owners (I am making the assumption that folks posting here are such) it is our responsibility to point out and correct anyone we see handling a firearm in an unsafe manner!! Hopefully, the folks complaining here about their experiences with poor barrel discipline said something immediately.

Just to set the record straight on inventory, yes there was an original shop, but the previous inventory was nowhere near what is needed for the new range. So they were basically starting over and needed time to build it up. Of course, now with the gun/ammo shortage and high demand, inventory is difficult for any shop to keep up.

There are also many well-informed and helpful staff members, in fact most of them are well-informed and helpful. If you don’t feel an employee is knowledgeable enough, ask if they have someone who might be able to better help you with your particular situation. I have found they will be more than happy to oblige. I also found they have no problem doing special orders and neither are they shy about trying to sell customers new items.
As far as the price increases, once again in the current ammo/gun climate, everyone has increased prices across the board. Hopefully the panic will subside and production will catch up with demand. Of course the upcoming anti-gun push by the current administration won’t help.

Overall The Range at Lake Norman is a great facility with good people working there. They will only continue to improve as time goes on. It is the only place I will go to shoot anymore.
Bill - LKN wrote:
Just to set the record straight, the range owner posted a comment stating they were new, thus they haven't had time to build up inventory, however, they owned a shop on Jetton called "LKN Sporting Arms" that was open for many years. The father and son who manned the previous shop seem to have taken a backseat and have hired a number of new employees and seem to be placing emphasis on trying to hire females and attract female clientele. The owners wife is pleasant and customer focused and seems to know her stuff. Another female employee was new and pointed an unloaded rifle at me a time or two during her mishandling of the firearm. The several times I've been there employees have tried to sell me on "lightly used consigned guns that belong to range employees" rather than sell me a new item off the shelf or special order an item that's not in inventory. Caveat emptor. I do quite a bit of research online prior to shopping in store and I find only about 25% of the employees I have encountered here (2 of 8) to actually be knowledgeable of the product they are selling. One of the employees made a funny comment comparing their ammo prices to Hyatt's this past weekend in justification of the price increase. If you're benchmarking yourself against Hyatt's, then maybe I should go spend my money somewhere else, because I'm not a fan.
Mike D

Matthews, NC

#34 Feb 21, 2013
The RSO will not “mess with” anyone’s stuff. They will check out everyone’s weapons as part of their safety procedures. I have never seen or heard them go through someone’s stuff without asking first. If I did see that, I would definitely say something, especially if it was mine. The RSOs I have met are familiar with many, many different weapons and I have no doubts that they know what they are doing.

That being said, I will repeat my comment from the previous post regarding barrel discipline:… as responsible gun owners (I am making the assumption that folks posting here are such) it is our responsibility to point out and correct anyone we see handling a firearm in an unsafe manner!! Hopefully, the folks complaining here about their experiences with poor barrel discipline said something immediately. This does not lessen the severity of the mistakes observed and they should be corrected.

The ammo policy will not change. TMJ is going to become the new standard for many good reasons. They may be ahead of the curve, but I applaud them for it and greatly appreciate the use of TMJ ammo in the range. Especially considering how much I shoot and how much time/exposure any range employees experience. With the widespread ammo shortage across ALL types of ammo, prices are going up everywhere and supplies are limited. Hopefully this will pass as the manufacturers catch up with demand and the current panic subsides.

I do understand having to buy ammo in a lot of different calibers, but I either shoot through an entire box, or just save it for the next trip to the range with that particular weapon. It is a minor inconvenience at most. I also understand wanting to practice with what you will be carrying and it is a legitimate philosophy. Hopefully your experience with a wide range of calibers and shooting in general will be able to make up for using only target ammo until manufacturers offer self-defense rounds in TMJ. One consolation, I believe it was stated in a previous post that you can use your own .22.
Gunperson wrote:
I have been to the Range several times since last summer. Like meh said I saw an employee going through a guys range bag while he was watching the required video. I don't personally like anyone messing with my stuff but more importantly I don't like someone messing with a gun that may be loaded and they are not familiar with. Also the place they place the guns creates another unsafe situation for people in the showroom as I saw several people swept with the weapon. I am afriad that eventually there will be an AD if this continues. As far as the TMJ stuff, I heard that due to ammo shortage they have started charging $30-$40 a box and limiting you to one box. The Range is really nice (but a little stuffy) and I hope they do well. But I feel their ammo policy will eventually be their demise. I know I would buy a membership if not for the ammo policy. I own quite a few guns and some I rarely shoot. I would love to very often drop in and shoot a few rounds but if I have to buy a box of ammo for every gun it is just not practical (I have pistols in 22,380,9mm,38sp,357 mag,41 mag,44 mag,40sw, 45acp,45lc,357 sig). Plus I would rather shoot the ammo that I will be using in my guns especailly my carry guns. Again I think it is a great facility and am still hoping their ammo policy will change.
Tom

Huntersville, NC

#35 Feb 22, 2013
I've used the range twice now, once with a Living Social coupon and once paying full price. Obviously since I returned, I'm pleased with the service. I heard a few complaints from what honestly sounded like arrogant customers wanting to do things not offered, i.e. take the ammo from the Living Social "range shooting experience" without using the lane and to use FMJ ammo rather than the required TMJ. This is not a good ole boy shootin' hole. It's a clean, contemporary, professional range, store and shooting facility. They have been polite, knowledgeable and professional with me. If want to shoot up some beer cans in the back yard then there's a time and place for that. But if you want to use a professional range with a professional staff then check out The Range at Lake Norman and judge for yourself. I'll be back there.
DAC

Mooresville, NC

#36 Mar 3, 2013
The RSO didnt even know what gun he was looking at. How can you be a range safety officer, when you dont know how to clear and check a firearm..'Wow, whats that?'... I could have had it chambered but the guy that checked my stuff didnt have a clue on how to check, nor did he. Why have a guy whos job that is, if hes not experienced enough to actually perform the job.. I got a sense of arrogance from all the employees I interacted with.
Matt

Charlotte, NC

#37 Mar 8, 2013
Went today, they were friendly and I had a great time. I would recommend.
Duped

Youngsville, NC

#38 Mar 15, 2013
DO NOT buy the Groupon deal offered by The Range at Lake Norman. Prior to purchasing as a Christmas gift for my fiance and his father, I called the range and was told that they would have lane access all day, with discounted gun rental and ammo. They drove over an hour to the range, only to be told that they had a half hour to shoot?! Guess I should have read the reviews here before making the purchase, as I can see that the overall opinion is that the staff is unprofessional and the prices are steep. The owner is obviously uneducated (judging solely by the poor grammar usage and spelling in prior posts) and highly defensive of their practices. No need to post a retort "Range Owner" if you are operating with integrity, as you claim to be. RIP OFF!!!
Duped

Youngsville, NC

#39 Mar 15, 2013
Looks like the employees are doing "quality control"
Jon

Cornelius, NC

#40 Sep 22, 2013
I have been to the Range several times, even booked the simulator, which was a great experience. I have found the staff to be over the top friendly and more than helpful. I'm amazed by some of the posted comments. I'm not sure anyone would meet those expectations unless the lanes were free and they didn't charge for the ammo.
John

Thomasville, NC

#41 Sep 26, 2013
DO NOT SHOOT HERE. They are full of arrogant condescending jerks. I could add ignorant for many of the staff that I've run into here as well. I've been here at least a dozen times and the treatment never changes. I am a Marine veteran and know plenty about firearms yet they treat everyone like a 5 year old child here. The way they talk to customers is unacceptable. Go to Mooresville Point Blank Range instead. It's a little further away but definitely worth it over these clowns. This place will go out of business soon the way they treat people (not to mention their idiotic policies.) People who like this range must be buddies of the employees / super regulars. Those are the only people shown any respect at this business. Just because you have a gun on your hip and a complex doesn't mean you treat people like crap

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 2 hr Waco 59,682
Sirens on McCoy rd? Huntersville NC 28078 Wed Wycodude15 2
Buh Bye All You IBM Employees (Oct '10) Wed I Hate Syracuse 251
Why are Southerners rude in action, but pretend... (Jan '13) Wed I Hate Syracuse 234
5 year old goes missing at Shamrock Gardens Ele... Wed MaryOfConcern 6
Missing child at Shamrock Garden Elementary School Tue Debbie 20
Review: ATA Karate Sep 15 L Baumgardner 1
•••
•••
Harrisburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harrisburg Jobs

•••
•••