Next Last
just me

Oklahoma City, OK

#1 Feb 26, 2013
Student arrested for making threats against high school

Updated: Feb 26 2013 1:21 PM CST
1 of 1 Images
-
HARRISBURG, AR (KAIT)- The Poinsett County Sheriff's Office has arrested an 18-year-old Harrisburg High School student.

According to the sheriff's office, officers were requested to come to the school on the morning of February 22. A school official told officers they received information that 18-year-old student Preston Downs was planning to "shoot up the school."

Downs was not at school that day. Officers arrested the student and he was charged with first degree terroristic threatening involving a school.

Bond for Downs was set at $100,000 during a probable cause hearing on Monday. He is expected to be in court again Thursday.

Courtney Brown is following the ongoing investigation and will have much more tonight on Region 8 News at 5 and 6.

Copyright 2013 KAIT. All rights reserved.
wonder

United States

#2 Feb 26, 2013
I wonder if he was bullied ??? We all know the school is a joke at its anti bully Makes me wonder if he had enough to push him over the edge.
Parent

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Feb 26, 2013
I want to know why the hell are we just now finding out about it this is something that as a parent I think I hav the right to know as soon as something happens , IM PISSED ABOUT IT
roflmao

Lampasas, TX

#4 Feb 26, 2013
What i dont understand is how if two students get into a fight. Why both kids are not charged.... when two days before. Two kids got in to a fight and noone was charged with anything
roflmao

Lampasas, TX

#5 Feb 26, 2013
The staff are the bullies
Dude

United States

#6 Feb 26, 2013
I know him, he wasn't bullied.
just me

Blytheville, AR

#7 Feb 26, 2013
Parent wrote:
I want to know why the hell are we just now finding out about it this is something that as a parent I think I hav the right to know as soon as something happens , IM PISSED ABOUT IT
Well my son texted me that day that the police were @ the school but he didn't know why they were there for. And as you I'm upset that we didn't hear about it until today either. I mean yea my son knew the police were on campus but they didn't even tell the students why they were there. Last week when they dismissed early they call 30 minutes ahead of time to let the parents know. When I arrived at the school the teachers had just received their message about it themselves. This school is so unorganized it isn't real. I'm not saying I could to better but darn it parents need to know what is happening @ our schools where our kids are the trust of the teachers and staff. They should take the courtesy to keep parents informed.
parenti

Euless, TX

#8 Feb 26, 2013
I would also like to know why we were not informed. This happened last week and we heard nothing until today? What was the purpose of keeping parents in the dark for a week.
parent of hhs student

United States

#9 Feb 26, 2013
parenti wrote:
I would also like to know why we were not informed. This happened last week and we heard nothing until today? What was the purpose of keeping parents in the dark for a week.
I am upset that I as a parent was not informed of this, I heard it on the news. I believe that the school should have notified all parents that there had been a threat. I also want to know what the plan of action is to protect our kids and why in earth they don't have any police at the school patrolling the school campus!!
Proud Parent

Blytheville, AR

#10 Feb 26, 2013
The parents have the right to be notified of things like this. I'm going to call the school district tomorrow and I'll be attending the next school board meeting to bring this up and get some answers. Whether or not this young man is guilty of the act or not isn't for us to decide, but we should have been informed that this had taken place. The fact that we weren't raises some concerns as to what else might be going on that we're not aware of.
parent of hhs student

United States

#11 Feb 26, 2013
Proud Parent wrote:
The parents have the right to be notified of things like this. I'm going to call the school district tomorrow and I'll be attending the next school board meeting to bring this up and get some answers. Whether or not this young man is guilty of the act or not isn't for us to decide, but we should have been informed that this had taken place. The fact that we weren't raises some concerns as to what else might be going on that we're not aware of.
I have also heard that his younger brother made a comment that he would finish the job that his brother didn't get to do-- my question is where is the brother? Are they allowing him to come to school? Will the boys be permanently expelled from the school district? I am skeptible about sending my child to school until this is all over with!! Does anyone else feel that way??
Wow

Jonesboro, AR

#12 Feb 26, 2013
I heard....I heard....I heard...

Spread rumors much? Here's a few thoughts:

The shooting didn't take place....maybe the school officials and police officials reacted appropriately...maybe we should let them sort out whether the young man is guilty or not. Maybe they were trying to avoid the very panic you parasites are trying to start and feed on.

It is very obvious that none of you know for sure what's going on. The first thing the school and police needed and still need to do is find out if the threat is real. What, are we supposed to shut down school every time something like this happens. With the wonderful job most Harrisburg parents do with their kids, we'd be shut down all the time just because their little un-trained brats would call in threats or start rumors all the time.

You people make me sick. I can't wait to get out of here.
Wow

Jonesboro, AR

#13 Feb 26, 2013
3 more months till I'm out of this hell hole
truth

United States

#14 Feb 26, 2013
"Wow" how very true... this whole thing is bull hear say..no proof ..and now the lynch mob begins.. you people make me sick
Superstar

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Feb 26, 2013
Wow wrote:
The shooting didn't take place....maybe the school officials and police officials reacted appropriately...maybe we should let them sort out whether the young man is guilty or not. Maybe they were trying to avoid the very panic you parasites are trying to start and feed on.
It is very obvious that none of you know for sure what's going on. The first thing the school and police needed and still need to do is find out if the threat is real. What, are we supposed to shut down school every time something like this happens. With the wonderful job most Harrisburg parents do with their kids, we'd be shut down all the time just because their little un-trained brats would call in threats or start rumors all the time.
well here's a thought you little bastard pack your shit & get out now you think we give a crap if you live in this town go b a dick in some other town loser
parent of hhs student

United States

#17 Feb 26, 2013
truth wrote:
"Wow" how very true... this whole thing is bull hear say..no proof ..and now the lynch mob begins.. you people make me sick
well I'm sorry that there has been way too many school shootings in the last few years and yes I'm glad that the school contacted officials however until the entire investigation is over I feel that they need officers on the school campus just for added protection!! There must have been some truth to it otherwise the boy wouldn't be in jail right now nor would it have been on the news so I don't believe that I have said anything I appropriately!! I'm sorry but I love my child and I don't want to see anything like this happen at our school or any other school.. That just shows that you shouldn't say things that you don't really mean especially If it's a threat!! I still believe the school should've notified parents if they had informed us maybe we wouldn't be freaking out about it!!!!'
just me

Blytheville, AR

#18 Feb 26, 2013
Wow wrote:

Well I don't see it as just a RUMOR. The kids was arrested and he went in front of a JUDGE. If there wasn't any truth to this so called RUMOR. Why did the JUDGE sit his bond so high? And me as one of the conserned parents of student if both the high And elementary school I'd like to know that I'm am able to drop my children off in that campus in trust if people that is going to take care of my kids like I would. I am not one of these parents that let their children run up and down the streets I usually know where my kids are at all time. Call me over protected. But when my are at school I shouldn't have to be scared that they are not going to be safe. And I'm not a Just feeding off this drAma. This shit is some serious shit. And like a mother bear protects her cubs I wanna know my cubs will be safe in the hands of the school staff.
just me

Blytheville, AR

#19 Feb 26, 2013
I mean seriously our school district is so small how much trouble would it have taken write out memos and send the home with the children. Instead of us having to hear about this a week later on the news and topix.
Proud Parent

Blytheville, AR

#20 Feb 26, 2013
Wow wrote:
So if you're in such a hurry to get out what exactly is stopping you? If you're an adult or the parent of a student then surely there's nothing stopping you from packing up your family and your belongings and leaving Harrisburg tonight.

If you're not an adult or if you're simply a student making an attempt at adding to the drama, why don't you try hanging back and letting the adults talk. Mmmmkay?
Proud Parent

Blytheville, AR

#21 Feb 26, 2013
I don't deal with hearsay or rumor. I don't speculate or form opinions based on anything I don't find out for myself. That being said, I stand by every word of my original post. We should NOT be speculating about this suspect, his family, or friends. Let the lawyers and cops do their jobs and let the FACTS determine whether this young man is guilty or innocent. The only issue I have with HHS is the FACT that the parents of HHS students were not advised of the situation. And the parents should take that up with the Harrisburg School District.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mickie Johnson/McMaster 53 min Guest 3
They keep removing the Frankie and Scott threads 2 hr His friend 19
Apartment hunting 3 hr JoshuaT 1
keith davis 19 hr joe 5
anyone know about Donnie White? 19 hr Angie 40
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 22 hr guest 30,948
lamaine Sun friends 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harrisburg Mortgages