More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10194 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

lovley_lady45

United States

#7478 Sep 27, 2012
There is so much fishy stuff going on in the government our eyes nor ears could not imagine....
Old Army

Damascus, AR

#7479 Sep 27, 2012
Guest wrote:
Old Army wouldn't know a right turn from a wrong one...I'm surprised he didn't have some sort of vulgar statement.
I'm not surprised that you are still stalking me. You've got to be one insecure woman.

United States

#7480 Sep 27, 2012
Wrong again old man... Women wouldn't be after you but I hear the guys are..

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#7481 Sep 27, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
You got a bird problem? Let me know, me and a few friends will come up there with our shot guns and take care of it.
You hang out with people who have blatant disregard for the law? That's good to know.
Last week you were an ethical hunter. Today you announce your willingness to poach an unlimited number of protected species. I hear REAL hunters don't tolerate your kind.

SE Michigan

#7482 Sep 27, 2012
BIG TALK wrote:
<quoted text>You're stupid. Birds don't plan. They don't file a flight plan, they don't talk to each other and say hey we need to go this way at this time at this height. You have a bird brain.
"Birds don't plan."
Maybe they don't "plan" per se. But they definitely "analyze.

"They don't file a flight plan,"
Of course not. Who would they "file" it with?:)
I assume you meant to say "They don't follow a flight plan."
They DO have major migration routes that they follow. The Atlantic, the Mississippi, the Central and the Pacific Flyways are the major ones. They have been following coastlines, rivers and mountain ranges for eons, though high concentrations of them can show up anywhere during migration.

"they don't talk to each other"
Ummm, YES, they do! Birds are one of the most vocal creatures on earth. They sing to announce their territories and to attract a mate. They call to their mate just before arriving at the nest with food. They call out an alarm when a predator gets near. They call to keep in contact with others of their species in winter. When migrating at night (as most songbirds do) they give a totally different call called a night flight call to keep in contact with other migrants.

"and say hey we need to go this way at this time at this height."
Time is a factor in migration. An important one. And depending on weather conditions, they will adjust the height that they fly.

"You have a bird brain."
That is a compliment. Birds are extremely intelligent. More so than what you realize...... according to this post and that statement.
Old Army

Damascus, AR

#7483 Sep 27, 2012
Guest wrote:
Wrong again old man... Women wouldn't be after you but I hear the guys are..
So you hear voices? If you say you're not a woman then so be it. That means you're just a pyssy.
fifty1fifty

United States

#7484 Sep 27, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
So you hear voices? If you say you're not a woman then so be it. That means you're just a pyssy.
The voices in my head talk very bad about you and three of them want me to be very mean to you. Having a pyssy is a point up in my book?(:
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7485 Sep 27, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You hang out with people who have blatant disregard for the law? That's good to know.
Last week you were an ethical hunter. Today you announce your willingness to poach an unlimited number of protected species. I hear REAL hunters don't tolerate your kind.
crows ,doves, quail ,turkeys, pheasnts, prarrie chicken, pigeons, grouse,woodcock,Ducks ,geese and blackbirds (grackles) are not protected species. Fish farmers can get a permit to kill cranes ,storks & other water turkeys.

SE Michigan

#7486 Sep 28, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> crows ,doves, quail ,turkeys, pheasnts, prarrie chicken, pigeons, grouse,woodcock,Ducks ,geese and blackbirds (grackles) are not protected species. Fish farmers can get a permit to kill cranes ,storks & other water turkeys.
Warrior said this: "You got a BIRD PROBLEM? Let me know, me and a few friends will come up there WITH OUR SHOTGUNS and TAKE CARE of it."

He made no mention of hunting game birds, or legally shooting nuisance birds that are exempt from the protections of the MBTA.

Some folks could consider a Carolina Wren nesting in a clothes pole a "problem." Some might see a phoebe nesting on the porch light as a "problem." Others might see a Summer Tanager eating juniper berries as a "problem." Still others might see a Western Meadowlark on a fence post as a "problem." All protected species.

He has already admitted to shooting "thousands of sparrows (exact species unknown) and meadowlarks." He even claimed to be proud that he is such a great killer.

Therefore, Warrior's statement.... when combined with other known facts.... can only lead someone to one conclusion:
He hangs out with people who have blatant disregard for the law., AND he has announced his willingness to poach an unlimited number of protected species.

Like I said, REAL hunters don't tolerate this behavior.

Searcy, AR

#7487 Sep 28, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you would say something vulgar you filthy old geezer...speaks a lot about you..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7488 Sep 28, 2012
<quoted text>
You truly are an IDIOT! Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I didn't say anything about breaking any law. You have NO IDEA what the definition of POACHING is do you? I hear REAL bird watchers are smarter than you! Why do you want to take the FREEDOM of hunting away from people? After all you are big on freedoms right?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7489 Sep 28, 2012
old geezers rule
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7490 Sep 28, 2012
<quoted text>
Warrior said this: "You got a BIRD PROBLEM? Let me know, me and a few friends will come up there WITH OUR SHOTGUNS and TAKE CARE of it."
He made no mention of hunting game birds, or legally shooting nuisance birds that are exempt from the protections of the MBTA.
Some folks could consider a Carolina Wren nesting in a clothes pole a "problem." Some might see a phoebe nesting on the porch light as a "problem." Others might see a Summer Tanager eating juniper berries as a "problem." Still others might see a Western Meadowlark on a fence post as a "problem." All protected species.
He has already admitted to shooting "thousands of sparrows (exact species unknown) and meadowlarks." He even claimed to be proud that he is such a great killer.
Therefore, Warrior's statement.... when combined with other known facts.... can only lead someone to one conclusion:
He hangs out with people who have blatant disregard for the law., AND he has announced his willingness to poach an unlimited number of protected species.
Like I said, REAL hunters don't tolerate this behavior.
LMAO! Name one protected species I poached. YOU CAN'T! Just like you can't name one freedom you have lost. I made no mention of hunting anything illegally but just like a typical LIBERAL you jump to conclusions without gathering any facts!
guestguest

United States

#7491 Sep 28, 2012
i am a bird my sounding voice

SE Michigan

#7492 Sep 28, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You truly are an IDIOT! Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I didn't say anything about breaking any law. You have NO IDEA what the definition of POACHING is do you? I hear REAL bird watchers are smarter than you! Why do you want to take the FREEDOM of hunting away from people? After all you are big on freedoms right?
Definition of Poaching:
1.Cook (an egg), without its shell, in or over boiling water.
2.Illegally hunt or catch (game or fish) on land that is not one's own or is under official protection.
Just like a typical lib twisting my words to make them mean something they don't. Where did I say I wanted to take away the freedom to hunt?

SE Michigan

#7493 Sep 28, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO! Name one protected species I poached. YOU CAN'T! Just like you can't name one freedom you have lost. I made no mention of hunting anything illegally but just like a typical LIBERAL you jump to conclusions without gathering any facts!
You have already admitted to poaching. Have a bad memory? Let me refresh it for you;
"thousands of sparrows and meadowlarks."
You do know that meadowlarks are protected under the MBTA, are you not? As are MOST sparrows. The ONLY sparrow that is not protected under the MBTA is the House Sparrow (the non-native English Sparrow that can be found almost everywhere there are humans and buildings.)
ALL the other sparrows ARE protected. Here are some of the ones you most likely killed "illegally."
http://www.nmbirds.org/...
Old Army

Mount Lookout, WV

#7494 Sep 28, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you would say something vulgar you filthy old geezer...speaks a lot about you..
I'm sorry, did I hurt your sensative feelings. You can dish out vile commnents about me but can't take them when the tables are turned. What kind of "man" are you then?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7495 Sep 29, 2012
<quoted text>
You have already admitted to poaching. Have a bad memory? Let me refresh it for you;
You do know that meadowlarks are protected under the MBTA, are you not? As are MOST sparrows. The ONLY sparrow that is not protected under the MBTA is the House Sparrow (the non-native English Sparrow that can be found almost everywhere there are humans and buildings.)
ALL the other sparrows ARE protected. Here are some of the ones you most likely killed "illegally."
Listen you stupid lib, post where I have admitted to poaching! I have told you on 3 seperate occassions that I was around 10 years old when I killed sparrows and meadowlarks. Now tell me genius were those birds protected when I was 10 years old? Stop lying. You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. You should learn about nature first before you take up a cause you know nothing about. I have no regrets for killing anything, never have never will!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7496 Sep 29, 2012
<quoted text>
By the way dumb ass it is not ILLEGAL to KILL sparrows in NEW MEXICO! END OF STORY!

http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/HouseSparrows...

SE Michigan

#7499 Sep 29, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Listen you stupid lib, post where I have admitted to poaching! I have told you on 3 seperate occassions that I was around 10 years old when I killed sparrows and meadowlarks. Now tell me genius were those birds protected when I was 10 years old? Stop lying. You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. You should learn about nature first before you take up a cause you know nothing about. I have no regrets for killing anything, never have never will!
I have better things to do than to search posts from two weeks ago to find your exact words. But I remember even Old Army telling you that killing those birds was nothing to be bragging about.

"Now tell me genius were those birds protected when I was 10 years old?"
Why yes. Yes, they were. Unless you are older than 104 years old.

"Stop lying."
Post proof that I have lied about anything.

"You should learn about nature first before you take up a cause you know nothing about."
I can assure you, when it comes to birds, I damn well DO know what I'm talking about.

Boy, you are a defensive one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrisburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is the nicest Playschool teacher? (Jul '11) 3 hr One of her besties 24
Lorrie Cain will sleep with anything 8 hr Hung like horse 2
jack guthrie (Jan '10) Tue Gu3st 46
Red Head Tue Sheknows 9
Nickie jones Mon Being a adult 86
fire on bay lane Mon Jeremy 8
Emily? Sep 24 ummm 7

Harrisburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance