City Pool Info
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
blake kirkland

Columbia, SC

#1 Mar 11, 2011
II was asked for info on the cost of a city pool. The pool would cost 350k to build and around 50k to maintain and hire life guards. I feel it is doable but I think there would have to be some fat trimmed out of the budget. I have talked with some city parks managers and they say alot of cities are going away from pools and going to splash pads so maybe this could be the first stage leading to a pool later. The cost for a good size pad would be 125K but would cost a lot less to maintain.
I would like to see it built near the community center and later a pool. If there is any money left the Princess is finished let's build the pad.
Chumley

Liberty, TN

#2 Mar 13, 2011
WHOOHOO!! Bring on the Splash Pads!! The Kids would LOVE a Splash Pad!!! Come on People lets get with the program!!! HARRIMAN NEEDS MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS!! ASAP!!! It would get them off of their asses and out of the house from their video games!!
RUFRIGINGKIDDENM E

United States

#3 Mar 16, 2011
A splash pad....have you seen the water and sewage bills in harriman...logical thinking would help here
feddenredder

United States

#4 Mar 16, 2011
who needs a pool, we got the lake????? complete waste of money and time.
judgement

Denver, NC

#5 Mar 16, 2011
So you want your little kids swimming in the Emory River? I feel it would be safer to have a pool or splash pad and the up keep on a pad is very low. The water recirculates back through the system. But swim at your own risk in the" lake" aka The Emory river.
feddenredder

United States

#6 Mar 16, 2011
i learned how to swim in the river and so did my kids. and my parents swam in the river before watts bar was impounded. people are too protective of our kids today and we have created generations of wimps with texting, cell phones, and video games. swimming pool my ash....
Howell

Nashville, TN

#7 Mar 16, 2011
Wow a splash pad. Lets put it in the town square.
RUFRIGINGKIDDENM E

United States

#8 Mar 16, 2011
I Love the river
Open Minded

Bedford, IN

#9 Mar 16, 2011
Well I think a splash pad is a very good idea.. I personally haven't seen a lot of people in the Emory River maybe because there isn't a lot of user friendly access to the river and since TVA has been closed off then that is no longer an argument.. Even if it was most kids don't drive and they need somewhere close...

Feddenredder - a splash pad is economical and there is no "swimming" going on... its just fun to help gets the kids outta the house and off the video games..... Maybe they can get over their whimpy natures if they get out of the house...
Blake Rice Kirkland

Denver, NC

#10 Mar 16, 2011
I leaned to swing at the pool at the Cumberland st park. As for the kids you are right they need to be outside more and off video games but that's not the city governments job its the parents. The splash pad would be great for the kids. The Emory River has claimed a few lives over the years. The splash pad could be either at the community center or River front park.
reverse

Paducah, KY

#11 Mar 17, 2011
with our water,sewer and electricty rates a pool could bankrupt this town..pools continously loose water and use tons of electricty..and we haven't even mentioned chemicals which go up every year..and what about a trained staff..HUB would make a killing..
Maybe HUB could give the citizens of Harriman free water and no sewer charges at the pool and this idea might fly.
foo fighter

United States

#12 Mar 17, 2011
there's good clean safe swimming access at Walker's Landing on Webster Pike. 5 minute drive from town. the economy is too bad right now to think about swimming pools.
Open Mnded

United States

#13 Mar 17, 2011
Splash pads don't have to have continuous chemical assessments and a filter system... where are the yearly costs exactly? It costs nearly nothing for the up keep for a splash pad...
Blake Rice Kirkland

Charlotte, NC

#14 Mar 17, 2011
Well let's step up and do more for the city. The city government can't do it alone. If we think we can't then we can't. You are right the economy is bad but think back to the late 70's if you can remember gas was just as high per say it equaled the price of today but Harriman had 2 pools one on Cumberland st and one at the country club in west hills now I am not one to compare the past to now because we have to live in the present. Can Harriman afford a pool or splash pad Yes we can how can we? It will take cuts in salaries. Ok now you say wait why should they have to do this. How many people who live in Harriman make $85,000 a year? I know I don't and I work a full time job. How many new homes or businesses are being built in Harriman? I want to cut the code/building inspector job to part time. We need to bring down a few old buildings. As well as cut a few other city dept heads pay. I also think if you are a dept head you need to live in Harriman. Can we afford a pool or splash pad yes. But it will take cuts.
Blake Rice Kirkland

Charlotte, NC

#15 Mar 26, 2011
From what I've seen we can afford to build and maintain a pool or splash pad. The city spends over $175.000 per year on the golf course that only a few people use. Its time to sale that golf course, and give the kids a fun safe place to swim.
what

Knoxville, TN

#16 Mar 26, 2011
Open Minded wrote:
Well I think a splash pad is a very good idea.. I personally haven't seen a lot of people in the Emory River maybe because there isn't a lot of user friendly access to the river and since TVA has been closed off then that is no longer an argument.. Even if it was most kids don't drive and they need somewhere close...
Feddenredder - a splash pad is economical and there is no "swimming" going on... its just fun to help gets the kids outta the house and off the video games..... Maybe they can get over their whimpy natures if they get out of the house...
there are alkot of things that are free a kid could do outside. They could play badmitten, volleyball, horseshoes,etc... and stay off the cell phones, video games and save there heart dur to exercise and weight loss. Give it a try...my family enjoys the outside.
Blake Rice Kirkland

United States

#17 Mar 26, 2011
And they could go splash at the splash pad or swim in the pool. Ask any kid if they would rather play golf or go swimming. Its sad the city is spending that much on the Golf Club that only a handfuls of people use. And you family could enjoy the outdoors in a pool also.
moonpie

United States

#18 Mar 26, 2011
Sell the golf course! Build the splash pool. Improve the recreatioal activities.
Blake Rice Kirkland

Shelby, NC

#19 Mar 26, 2011
I totally agree its time to get rid of the golf course and get something the kids will enjoy
Memories

Hendersonville, TN

#20 Mar 26, 2011
I remember learning to swim in the pool on cumberland street. Mrs. Rose ran it back then. those were the days alot of great memories

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harriman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I don't like to come to my hometown 1 hr Ashamed 3
Harriman utility board (Mar '11) 10 hr mad as hell 183
Jennifer Waldo meth head 16 hr big daddy 3
Save a lot Fri Dyldozee 1
silver dodge (Jan '14) Fri lame 3
olivia hardie Thu misslivxo 11
Green wheels Thu Wow 4

Harriman Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance