Rats for Cash Program on 6 o'clock news

Posted in the Harper Woods Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sam

Roseville, MI

#1 Jan 30, 2013
Well good old Saint Clair Shores was on the news at 6 p.m. about the Rats for Cash program. They played up pictures of dead rats and spoke to the Acting City Mgr and several residents. Did not make our city look good at all. I think it made us look disgusting. I would not be surprised if the couple of new restaurants that are supposed to open in Saint Clair Shores choose to go elsewhere. I know after watching this I would go elsewhere if I was going to purchase a home!
blame

United States

#2 Jan 30, 2013
Thank Vitale and his idea machine.
Rash for Cats

United States

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Rats for cash? How much are they selling for?

I'm sure this story about rats will have a far different impact than the previous 10 stories about rats in SCS. I heard we were getting a Golden Coral buffet at 9/mack (old Pare elementary). That deal is probably ruined now.
dang

United States

#4 Jan 30, 2013
Wish it was an Old Country Buffet.
Money maker

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#5 Jan 30, 2013
5 bucks a rat Im going to Detroit and getting me a hundred of em. The eastern market is a good place to start.
Sue

Roseville, MI

#6 Jan 30, 2013
I can see the local real estate declining in value. We will be known for "rat city"! Whose bright idea was it to go on tv?
Fed Up

Mount Clemens, MI

#7 Jan 31, 2013
Sam wrote:
Well good old Saint Clair Shores was on the news at 6 p.m. about the Rats for Cash program. They played up pictures of dead rats and spoke to the Acting City Mgr and several residents. Did not make our city look good at all. I think it made us look disgusting. I would not be surprised if the couple of new restaurants that are supposed to open in Saint Clair Shores choose to go elsewhere. I know after watching this I would go elsewhere if I was going to purchase a home!
Sad but true. Everyone at one time wanted to live in the Shores and now it is getting a bad rap. The city of Saint Clair Shores needs to step up to the plate and take care of this problem now... Where are the professional exterminators!!!!!!
bye bye LSI

Grosse Pointe, MI

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Really need to get a company that focuses all 100% of its energy and resources to rat abatement. 100K will go a long way. LSI has maybe 1 or 2 employees that took the state licensing exam. You know the entire crew doing rat abatement are not all fully trained. Stick to weed whacking, snow plowing and planting cute little flowers. I must admit they are good at that stuff.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#9 Jan 31, 2013
I thought council was supposed to be considering multiple ideas. Why was this one the only idea that seemed to stick? Is council really that stupid that they think the more radical the idea the better it will work? Do they realize how quickly these suckers reproduce? This is like trying to shoot a fish in a barrel. This dumb idea is nothing but politics in all its glory: hey, it may not be pretty, but at least it looks like we're doing something...and hey, the more shocking the better, to counteract the previous media stories of the city doing nothing. THAT'S why the turds went on TV with this!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#10 Jan 31, 2013
(grumble l grumble)...turn rats in all right, right on the doorstep, ship a box of 'em FedEx...bring 'em to the next meeting...leave 'em on the dolts' cars...(grrr!)
Money maker

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#11 Jan 31, 2013
5 bucks per rat takes the heat off of the 1000000.00 spending it gives us a chance to make some money 2.Maybe they can blow this thing up more lol.
Cindy

Roseville, MI

#12 Jan 31, 2013
I do not know the exact procedure but when code enforcement cites residents for blight whether it be wood on the ground, crap all over the yard, yards covered in dog excrement what are the fines? I would think that this would be the first step as why bait our yard when it is all of the crap in my neighbor's yard that is the problem!
Zip Lock and Load

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#13 Jan 31, 2013
Money maker wrote:
5 bucks a rat Im going to Detroit and getting me a hundred of em. The eastern market is a good place to start.
So far in the last week I killed 2 rats coming over from my neighbors yard. Was hoping to get the 5 bucks for each, but mine each have a hole in them. Perhaps in the future I should switch to a smaller caliber so that the hole isn't so visible while in the zip-lock bag.
sandy

Livonia, MI

#14 Jan 31, 2013
There will be after hour drop boxes located at all city buildings, simply bag and tag your catch and $$$ will be mailed to you. Remember squirrels are not rats... so dont try sneaking one in. My last recent haul the other night was 63...could have been more but i ran out of beer. What a pay day!! I love beer and im good at catching rats. This is a much better idea than letting loose 200 coyotes in the city,, though not a bad idea, just a little risky. just sayin. SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!
SouthLake

Farmington, MI

#15 Jan 31, 2013
I'm waiting for the $20 per coon rebate. Just take 9 mile at about 40 MPH 3:15 weekdays. Between that and the rats, I'll be makin' a living wage" very soon
Lottie Lumpkin

Roseville, MI

#16 Feb 1, 2013
Just listen to all of you. You all should be ashamed of yourselfs. Rats are people too! They have families, they work, etc. That's why me and Joanie Smeltzflogger are forming R.O.A.R.( Residents opposing assaulting rats) We are going to have a Rat Circus on Feb. 15th to showcase all the good qualities of rats. We will have a local rat choir, rat art fair, rat refreshments, and Pluto the Killer rat (seen in the movie " Cheese Noodle/Rat Breath".
Cat in the hat

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#17 Feb 1, 2013
Larry

Roseville, MI

#18 Feb 5, 2013
Now that they have shredded our communities reputation they decide not to do the "rats for cash" bounty program. Why not start with giving the idiots that repeatedly are cited for blight huge fines instead of a slap on the wrist. We don't want baited yards that could and is killing our pets and wildlife. Why would we bait our yard when the neighbors have a yard full of crap. Does not make sense to me. Start with the blight and with the businesses (not all just some of them) that have uncovered, overloaded dumpsters on a daily basis. Not rocket science!
Good Ideas

Saint Clair Shores, MI

#19 Feb 5, 2013
Macomb County Michigan recieved some unwanted attention with the rat reward program.We might draw more attention than Detroit when its over.
ideas are good and nice

United States

#20 Feb 5, 2013
we were in the USA Today today

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harper Woods Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rubber stamping rubino (Jun '12) Wed stamp stamp 30
Vote NO May 5th on Lake Shore Bond issue Wed show us how 13
ermas original frozen custard Wed yogurt master 19
News Fill St. Clair Shores Patch with Veterans Day 2... Wed Killing is killing 15
11 Mile and Harper changes Tue Bode Miller 5
Uni Dig- Quinn Road Clinton Township MI (Feb '13) Mar 22 Cowboy 41
Vitale has Rendered Himself Useless Mar 21 as a city anything 44
Harper Woods Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Harper Woods People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]