Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 165522 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86196 Aug 24, 2012
Counsler wrote:
<quoted text>
" many people who had other beliefs OBEYED to keep their lives" Yes, I believe the cowards did!
Satanic Priest? Really? You BELIEVE against what is right and true? you suggest to rob, pilfer and plunder is right....IT IS NOT RIGHT.... so Evil one you are opposite of the following? if yes,,,you terrify me which is why I teach my children to pray..
13 Thou shalt not kill.
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
PS...I'm not trying to change thy holy Bible KJV I just want your attention:
These are the 1st but no less important...
Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Please forgive me lord for changing the order of your work...Yet if somehow I can get the message to just ONE...I have succeded...
I have not suggested that people rob, pilfer and plunder is right. By putting words in my mouth you have shown yourself to be a liar......

“Christ is comin', so am I”

Since: Nov 11

Baltimore, Maryland

#86197 Aug 24, 2012
I think everyone should just relax and stop arguing. Keep your religious beliefs (if any) at home, church, social gatherings, or anywhere you like other than forcing children to study a bible in which they may be uncomfortable studying. Our taxes fund public schools and not everyone who pays taxes believes that we should pay the state to cover biblical education of a certain religion in public school systems. There are plenty of religious schools that you can opt to pay for in the state if it means so much for your child to have bible study in school.

We have freedom of religion for a reason. Sure, pray at school, read your bible in between study and lessons at school, do as you please but please do not use our money to promote bible study in the public school system. Give our teachers raises, enhance the math and science departments, teach our children history, literacy, grammar, and let them engage in the arts with tax money. Leave religious teachings up to the child and/or the parents before and after school time.

COST FREE SOLUTIONS: Send them to church camps or after-school bible studies, take them to church youth groups on certain days of the week, and talk to them about religion without having to rob them of learning higher math, science, history, literacy, and arts courses (where children score lowest).

I think public schools really need to enhance our math and science programs most of all.

Our teachers very much deserve to be payed more than what they are given. I know many teachers who are bartenders, wait tables, and have a rainbow of second jobs to make ends meet!

Bible study? Really? Get serious. There is no debate here. In my opinion it is very unwarranted and unconstitutional to have this program. Although this is just proposed as an elective, it is still taking away from core programs. The money should be used wisely. Kentucky educational scores are seriously lacking across the board!

“Christ is comin', so am I”

Since: Nov 11

Baltimore, Maryland

#86198 Aug 24, 2012
I am sorry I said 'force' students to take. It would be an elective I guess... However, are they going to spend the money to make it even and offer an elective to study the religious teachings of all known religions being practiced??? It only seems fair...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86199 Aug 24, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>What a Crock!
I agree! It is a Crock!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86200 Aug 24, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
forgot to add this one
http://www.raystevens.com/
Forgot to add this one

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86202 Aug 24, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I could find nothing to indicate the Salem witch trials were done by Christians nor the doctors and employess of women's clinics. Let's face it. There are evil be in this world, but please do not assume they are all Christians. Have you any idea how many Christians have been persecuted and killed due to their beliefs??
Who says the Old Testament no longer applies?
I realize many Christians do not agree with the gay lifestyle and I am sure there are some out there who say they are Christians and hate gays, but do not believe for one second that Christians in general hate gays. I and many other Christians have friends who are gay.
Are You Kidding?
No indication that the Salem witch trials were committed by Christians? The Army of God doesn't claim to be Christian?
Don't you mean "How many Christians have been killed by other Christians for their beliefs?"
Christians don't hate gays?
Christians hold that Jesus fulfilled Mosaic Law when he died on the cross. Now you can have a ham sandwich while stoning people.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86203 Aug 24, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Well... that was lil harsh!
You can call a baby a 'zygote' all you want!
Fact remains... If you did not KILL it... it would go to school in 5 years!
It would be a Joy to some childless parents...
It is a LIFE!
I say... IF you get pregnant from tramping around, you need to watch the sonogram, and be counceled before Killing it!
I also say... show teenagers what happens in an abortion, AND teach them to wait for their Spouses!
Oh... I forget...
Teaching them to be RIGHT is against your WRONG agenda!
When someone casually dismisses an act of sexual violence the least they deserve is a harsh speaking to. The FACT remains that the Republican pro lifers are far more concerned with the first 9 months than the following 18 years.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#86204 Aug 24, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Now... you can say it's a 'crackhead' thing, and probably will,
but you know, my story is not that different from SO MANY OTHERS,
We ALL can't be 'crackheads'!
No, not all crackheads.

Just a lot of people who feel so overwhelmingly guilty about their actions that they will believe ANYTHING that allows them to feel better.

Christianity offers an (imaginary) scapegoat who will take the (imaginary) punishment for you so you can (in a real sense) forgive yourself.
The trouble is that you haven't really forgiven yourself, you've only tried to shift the blame but still feel disgust for yourself.

Your self-loathing is constantly apparent in your posts.

Just because you believe some invisible superbeing has forgiven you, you know (in a tiny corner of your mind that you try to ignore) that you are still the same person...and you hate that.
You are angry that others won't join you in your "belief" because their belief would validate yours and make you feel better.
The "love" you profess is simply not there.

Honesty and professional counseling would serve you better than religious superstition.
Stan

Germany

#86205 Aug 24, 2012
Once the door is opened it is opened to all religions.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#86206 Aug 24, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it rape if the girl wants to have sex and then the next day goes to the cops and files a rape charge?... Is it Rape if a girl gets knocked up from the old rich guy she was playing then tells her parents he raped he .... Some rape is Legitimate... Some is not...
Funny no GOP guys have the balls to say this. Romney and Ryan just repeat, "rape is rape" like robots.

Of course the pro lifer as worried if their is exceptions to abortions in the case of rape or incest, women will cry rape all the time. This maybe so, but there in lies a problem. It is not up to big government to decide when a woman should get an abortion, it is up to her and her only.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86207 Aug 24, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a young man that at 22 went to a local bar and met two girls.. They came back to his house and they had a 3some... About two weeks later one of the girls got PO'ed and told the parents of the other girl (both of which were under 18 with fake ID's to get into the bar).. The guy was convicted of statutory rape, sentenced to 10 years in prison and placed on a Sex Offenders list for life...
Some Rape is Legitimate... Some is not...
And you "know" your friend is telling the truth? People lie. Sure, the girl might be lying, but so could your friend. All we can do is allow the court system to work it out. What alternative do you suggest?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#86208 Aug 24, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Quit while you're behind, Q.
The statement made by Akin was not about fraud, deception, perjury, extortion or false police reports. He distinguishes forcible rape as "legitimate" as opposed to "soft" rape, such as sedation, coercion and statutory.
I have no heard this. Were is this stated?
Are You Kidding

United States

#86209 Aug 24, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are You Kidding?
No indication that the Salem witch trials were committed by Christians? The Army of God doesn't claim to be Christian?
Don't you mean "How many Christians have been killed by other Christians for their beliefs?"
Christians don't hate gays?
Christians hold that Jesus fulfilled Mosaic Law when he died on the cross. Now you can have a ham sandwich while stoning people.
I still stand by everything I said. Christians have been killed by the Roman Empire, Jews, and Muslims.

I also believe there are Christians who hate gays, but the majority just hate their lifestyle and not them as human beings.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86210 Aug 24, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no heard this. Were is this stated?
Dr. Jack C. Willke is Akin's primary medical source.

Willke states: "There's no greater emotional trauma that can be experienced by a woman than an assault rape. This can radically upset her possibility of ovulation, fertilization, implantation and even nurturing of a pregnancy" and that by his calculations "assault" rape pregnancy is extremely rare and about four cases per state per year."

After the Akin interview he elaborated: "This is a traumatic thing — she’s, shall we say, she’s uptight. She is frightened, tight, and so on. And sperm, if deposited in her vagina, are less likely to be able to fertilize. The tubes are spastic."

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86211 Aug 24, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I still stand by everything I said. Christians have been killed by the Roman Empire, Jews, and Muslims.
I also believe there are Christians who hate gays, but the majority just hate their lifestyle and not them as human beings.
30 years war. Ireland. Huguenots. European witch trials. I don't have time to go on and on and on.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#86212 Aug 24, 2012
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And you "know" your friend is telling the truth? People lie. Sure, the girl might be lying, but so could your friend. All we can do is allow the court system to work it out. What alternative do you suggest?
You missed the point Mike... Yes he could be lying.. They, the girls, could be lying and yes the court is the last resort of recourse... The only point was that the term Legitimate Rape is a valid term.. maybe a politically incorrect term.. but valid none the less...
Troy

Louisville, KY

#86213 Aug 24, 2012
And where exactly do you want to stop when teaching mythology?
Do we also teach that Thor causes thunder?
The world is supported on the back of a giant tortoise?
Grandfather raven brought fire to humanity?
Seems to me if we teach mythology in schools then we have to teach them all not just the one you are into.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#86214 Aug 24, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text> No, there is not even a thoery, nothing to back it up but a book, o my, I forgot there is faith.
What is this THOERY ou keep talking about? Is it a cousin to a theory? Bad spelling can make a smart person look dumb.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#86215 Aug 24, 2012
Troy wrote:
And where exactly do you want to stop when teaching mythology?
Do we also teach that Thor causes thunder?
The world is supported on the back of a giant tortoise?
Grandfather raven brought fire to humanity?
Seems to me if we teach mythology in schools then we have to teach them all not just the one you are into.
Just be sure te teachers tell them that mythology is just that ...a myth!

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86216 Aug 24, 2012
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Just be sure te teachers tell them that mythology is just that ...a myth!
"te teachers" Grammar errors can also make stupid people look like dumbasses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harold Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former mayor and city utilities (Feb '16) 3 min Johnson 91
Obamacare Repeal 54 min SilverBack 16
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 55 min Hummm 37,296
Awesome Blackcats (Dec '16) 1 hr Jim Blob 12
Brandon Gearheart Girls Basketball 1 hr Groundhog Day 135
Greg Stumbo and Keith Bartley Pick their candid... 1 hr Pluto 3
Pill Peddler 1 hr DatGurl 1

Harold Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harold Mortgages