RGV english teachers are failing badly

RGV english teachers are failing badly

Posted in the Harlingen Forum

Dale

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Dec 31, 2010
This message of concern is for all the english teachers in the rgv that have the job of teaching latino children english.
D-minus for you folks.

To this day, there's little kids (even grownups) going around saying things like "lookit" "get down",(as in 'out of the car'), Saying 'floor', when referring to "ground", or things like "you're going to 'drop' me", instead of 'knock me down', and many more examples...
One thing is obvious to me - that the majority of their english skills come from their parents. Extremely crude-sounding and unfit for the outside world.
You teachers, you are the gateway for enabling these first, second, third-generation Latinos to broaden their horizons to other parts of the country...and you let them just coast through their english lessons. Just from being in the valley for enough years now, it's obvious you guys have set the bar really low in terms of standards of good english. When I see middle eastern doctors or convenience store workers, or asian-americans working at the various resturants, THEY almost always speak better english than the mexican americans in the valley. Their native lands don't even border an english speaking country!!
The local latino children invariably try to imitate all the gangsta influences from the media, and then they end up sounding like Ernie from George Lopez when they grow up. The Ernie character, why do you thing Lopez has him on the show? He's a stereotype - to be made fun of...the typical uneducated latino living with their parents. The rgv children will also be made fun of, ridiculed in the world past south texas, and will no doubt be denied equal opportunities in the job market because they sound like Ernie from that show!
THis link backs up what I'm saying here:
http://www.wilsoncountynews.com/article.php...
Bobby

San Antonio, TX

#2 Jan 20, 2011
Right.

I wish they'd teach people down here to stop saying they're "seeing t.v.", which the only accurate way you could use that phrase is if you're seeing a t.v. set for the first time. I hear little kids to middle aged adults say that.

And the local people say they're "hearing" music, instead of "listening" to music. That is WAY wrong. Adults and kids alike say it.
zenayj

Kerrville, TX

#3 May 22, 2011
You hit the nail right on the head gentleman. I have two children(middle school, high school)who often send me text messaging and I swear a young child is sending them. Even when I ask them to use proper grammar they continue to send jibberish. On a side not I no longer reside in the RGV.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlingen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994
News Fleeing violence May 31 Just Sayin 34
Need advice for probation. May 28 Albert 2
Review: Tussing Chiropractic Clinic Apr '16 Number1 1
Erwin O is a joke Mar '16 Teen crazy 4
Looking for my sister Mar '16 normaluna 1
News Awards and Notices 3-14 Mar '16 Farter 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlingen Mortgages