HARLINGEN, Texas – Thomas D. Hushen announced today that he has filed the required paperwork to run for Harlingen City Commissioner, District 3. He previously served as a city commissioner from 2007-2009.
Mr. Hushen served for 15 years in the Harlingen Police Department, rising to the rank of Lieutenant before leaving the force to work in county government. While at the police department, Mr. Hushen served as a patrol officer, training officer, community policing, led the Citizen’s Police Academy and oversaw fiscal management of the police department. In addition to Mr. Hushens regular duty assignments, he helped to implement the first DARE program for the Harlingen School District.
While at Cameron County, Mr. Hushen held numerous positions of importance and responsibility, serving as Chief Emergency Officer, Fire Marshal and Emergency Management Coordinator. In his capacity as Chief Emergency Officer, Mr. Hushen also directed the operation of the county’s radio system, and was responsible for securing and/or implementing over three million dollars for homeland security projects. Initiatives undertaken by Mr. Hushen during this time include the establishment of a regional hazardous materials response capability, and a program to equip hospitals to respond to chemical or biological incidents.
Mr. Hushen served as Vice Chair of the Homeland Security Advisory Council for the Lower Rio Grande Valley Development Council, was appointed Regional Commander for the Regional Unified Command, which managed resources over the lower valley during a catastrophic event, is a member of the Metropolitan Medical Response System and served on the Texas Emergency Preparedness Advisory Council for the Texas Department of Emergency Management.
Mr. Hushen was appointed to the Governors’ EMS and Trauma Advisory Council’s Disasters Committee in 2010. This Committee advises the State of Texas on improving the State’s response during a disaster. He also serves as Chair of the City of Harlingen’s Tax Increment Financing Board.
“The City of Harlingen is facing a period that can be its greatest opportunity for growth and development. We need to have a commission that is working together to secure Harlingen’s future. District 3 needs a commissioner that is working to make life better not only for our community but the city as a whole. I sincerely believe that we are strongest when we grow together.
My vision of Harlingen is one that holds the importance of business development and quality of life issues on equal levels. We need to insure that we have adequate street lights in our residential areas and our commercial areas. We need to insure that we have enough police officers patrolling throughout the whole community. We need to have adequate fire protection and make sure that we are all offered the best coverage possible.
I want to work toward growth in our district. We need to revitalize our commercial district and work on bring new business into our area. Harlingen’s future is not only to the north, it is supported by the cornerstone of our existing business community. We need to make sure that their needs are being addressed or our foundation will surely crumble.
Moving Harlingen forward – bringing in new jobs, promoting quality of life and ensuring public safety – is a job for our entire city. We need to bring the people and resources of the city together, to realize the built-in potential we all know that Harlingen has.
I look forward to this campaign, and to continuing my service to the people of this city.”