Teachers strike in Souderton District

Souderton Area High School student Bianca Cavacini was not in school Tuesday because of a teachers strike but she was at school anyway. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
From the mountains

Stroudsburg, PA

#1 Sep 3, 2008
The greedy scum sucking socialist union the PSEA doesn`t care about kids, taxpayers or the level of education. They just enjoy holding districts hostage to further their own greedy agenda.
The government needs to do to that union what it did to the air traffic controllers.
get a life people

Newark, DE

#2 Sep 3, 2008
Why do people think it is ok for administration to always get big raises , Yet the teachers should get little or nothing . Take a look back last year and see the five people { Administration } That got a very good raise and they dont even teach our children. You people need to do re-search before you call the teachers greedy ! Please take the time to check the salary of administration and there job duty . I can promise you , you will see the where all the money is going and it is not for the teachers nor our children .
what

Emmaus, PA

#3 Sep 3, 2008
Athletic teams for ninth through 12 grade will continue playing but other afterschool activities, including the marching band and clubs, will not, Superintendent Charles Amuso said.

HEAVEN FORBID WE PUT A STOP TO SPORTS, THEN PEOPLE WOULD BE REALLY MAD. LITTLE JOEY NEEDS THAT ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP.
Tom

Woodstown, NJ

#4 Sep 3, 2008
Agree that administrators are overpaid, but two wrongs do not make a "right". The union lowered it's offer from 9.5% increase over five years to 8.2% over four years which still reflects greediness to those who work in the "real world" and compared to the other teachers in PA. One of the posts lists the Pittsburgh paper reference for salaries of every teacher and administrator in the state.
Tom

Woodstown, NJ

#5 Sep 3, 2008
The info was on post #21 yesterday with reference to "Souderton teachers to strike". The website is www.post-gazette.com/pg/08087/868425-1 .
Reason

Center Valley, PA

#6 Sep 3, 2008
8.2 is a starting point for negotiations. For instance when you go sell your used car you ask for $5000 and in the end sell it for $4000. You start high and work down, if you start at your final price there is no room for negotiations. Duh...
BOSSY

Sparta, NJ

#7 Sep 3, 2008
get a life people wrote:
Why do people think it is ok for administration to always get big raises , Yet the teachers should get little or nothing . Take a look back last year and see the five people { Administration } That got a very good raise and they dont even teach our children. You people need to do re-search before you call the teachers greedy ! Please take the time to check the salary of administration and there job duty . I can promise you , you will see the where all the money is going and it is not for the teachers nor our children .
Difference - The administration works ALL YEAR ROUND and is salary....coming in for many meetings after school, board meetings, etc. They are there because they have experience in education because they were all former teachers and went on to further their education to become leaders. What do you teachers want? To run everything and get the big bucks?
Bushwacker

AOL

#8 Sep 3, 2008
From the mountains wrote:
The greedy scum sucking socialist union the PSEA doesn`t care about kids, taxpayers or the level of education. They just enjoy holding districts hostage to further their own greedy agenda.
The government needs to do to that union what it did to the air traffic controllers.
Agreed
Tom

Woodstown, NJ

#9 Sep 3, 2008
Cone

United States

#10 Sep 3, 2008
easy to strike when you don't lose any money - they'll get their regular salary for the year.
You got what you deserve

Quakertown, PA

#11 Sep 3, 2008
Good thing you teachers are in it for the kids. Keep up the good work.

God forbid you have to pay benefits or work more then 9 months a year.

The economy is in the tank and you are asking for more money. Mean while you are strapped because you have no income. Unions sure are worthwhile these days.

Wake the F up you dopes!!!
Atown

Allentown, PA

#12 Sep 3, 2008
Teachers keep on fighting!
You deserve the best, and don't want to be screwed like the ATOWN teachers were with their new contract!
Atown

Allentown, PA

#13 Sep 3, 2008
BOSSY wrote:
<quoted text>
Difference - The administration works ALL YEAR ROUND and is salary....coming in for many meetings after school, board meetings, etc. They are there because they have experience in education because they were all former teachers and went on to further their education to become leaders. What do you teachers want? To run everything and get the big bucks?
Thatís because administrators do not work half as hard as teachers do during the school day!!!!
LV reader

Norristown, PA

#14 Sep 3, 2008
get a life people wrote:
Why do people think it is ok for administration to always get big raises , Yet the teachers should get little or nothing . Take a look back last year and see the five people { Administration } That got a very good raise and they dont even teach our children. You people need to do re-search before you call the teachers greedy ! Please take the time to check the salary of administration and there job duty . I can promise you , you will see the where all the money is going and it is not for the teachers nor our children .
The union's request is a 5 year contract that is intended to raise Souderton teacher salaries. The school board estimates the payroll will increase by 48% from $33million to $48million at the end of the contract.
Are suggesting that the pay increases of administrators exceed $15Million?
From the mountains

Stroudsburg, PA

#15 Sep 3, 2008
get a life people wrote:
Why do people think it is ok for administration to always get big raises , Yet the teachers should get little or nothing ..
Both groups are dirt bags, Although take an admins salary and divide it by the number of days or better yet by the hours including night meetings and teachers probably do more per hour.
Either way both groups are leaches and self serving. They want to be called professionals, but most professionals get paid based on performance not hostage taking.
The PSEA must go, it promotes mediocrity. Not to mention it`s a bunch of socialist liberal Obama supporters.
Truth

Palmerton, PA

#16 Sep 3, 2008
Wrong each day you strike you go a day without pay. Your salary is prorated then it is deducted from you pay. Learn the facts. Going out on strike is a very dificult thing to do and is a LAST resort.
Cone wrote:
easy to strike when you don't lose any money - they'll get their regular salary for the year.
BloodRedSky

Chicopee, MA

#17 Sep 3, 2008
what wrote:
Athletic teams for ninth through 12 grade will continue playing but other afterschool activities, including the marching band and clubs, will not, Superintendent Charles Amuso said.
HEAVEN FORBID WE PUT A STOP TO SPORTS, THEN PEOPLE WOULD BE REALLY MAD. LITTLE JOEY NEEDS THAT ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP.
Go tell your non-athletic child to go blow a trumpet!
Logic

Center Valley, PA

#18 Sep 3, 2008
I love the way the so called people call teachers scumbags, self serving and so on... It's no wonder that teachers no longer get respect from their students and spend more time disciplining than teaching.

Teachers pay the same taxes that we all pay, so if the taxes go up guess what they are paying it also.

Logic

Center Valley, PA

#19 Sep 3, 2008
LV reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The union's request is a 5 year contract that is intended to raise Souderton teacher salaries. The school board estimates the payroll will increase by 48% from $33million to $48million at the end of the contract.
Are suggesting that the pay increases of administrators exceed $15Million?
I believe there are way more teachers than there are administrators. Besides the fact that the $15M is over 5 years if everything stays the same. They don't calculate in the higher paid teachers that retire after 30 years.
LV reader

Norristown, PA

#20 Sep 3, 2008
Logic wrote:
I love the way the so called people call teachers scumbags, self serving and so on... It's no wonder that teachers no longer get respect from their students and spend more time disciplining than teaching.
Teachers pay the same taxes that we all pay, so if the taxes go up guess what they are paying it also.
Your argument doesn't make sense.
If an 3% tax increase on a $6000 tax bill is needed to support an 8% wage increase. The teacher earning the average salary ($61K)would get a $4800 increase and have to pay $180 in additional tax.
Who wouldn't jump at that deal?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harleysville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sort me a 20 bag :,) Oct 14 Aidyjay 1
Review: Cloud Nine Show Bar (Jul '11) Oct 7 fedup 2
Doctor charged with giving drug prescriptions f... (Oct '10) Oct 3 Jewell 12
More Sep 30 Who shot who 1
Debbie Hill Indian crest junior high. class of ... Jun '14 joseph Giering 1
Pa. jail guard charged with female inmate sex a... (Dec '13) May '14 Peter Gozinya 2
Two-Alarm Fire Rips Through Antique Store - Reg... (Mar '11) May '14 Michael McIntyre 17

Harleysville News Video

Harleysville Dating
Find my Match

Harleysville Jobs

Harleysville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Harleysville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harleysville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]