Nick Sanford

Phil Cox

Charles Thomas

Dicky Parsons

Mike Grenato

unit

Harlan, KY

#81 May 1, 2009
what about joe baltimore? ppl say know one in harlan county has ever shot better then him.
FCM

Harlan, KY

#82 May 4, 2009
IF YOU MEASURE AN ATHALETE BY HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS THEN IT IS NONE OTHER THAN "WAH WAH JONES". HOW MANY PLAYERS FROM HARLAN PLAYED ON A STATE HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPION TEAM? NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS? HOW MANY PLAYED ON A GOLD MEDAL TEAM? HOW MANY PLAYED IN THE PRO'S ( NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS) HOW MANY, IN COLLEGE WERE STANDOUTS IN MULTIPLE SPORTS, WAS A MEMBER OF THE FAB FIVE, ONE AND ONLY ON "WAH WAH JONES" NO MATTER WHAT ERA YOUR ARE FROM THOSE ARE SOME PRETTY IMPRESSIVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS. EVERYONE ELSE COMES IN AT A VERY DISTANT SECOND PLACE.
The Crow

Prestonsburg, KY

#83 May 4, 2009
Agreed. Second would be Phil Cox (2 time all-SEC 1st team, graduated Vandy's all time leading scorer) third is Nick Sanford (still the all time NAIA leader in points scored, 4 time all american) 4th Charles Thomas (final four at Minnesota,Mr. Basketball outright)
unit

Harlan, KY

#84 May 4, 2009
i think nick might be the 2nd leading scorer in the history of college basketball at any level. everyone knows that pete mav. is number one. i do know that if stephen curry would have came back for his sr.year and avg. 30 points a game and played 35 games then he would have been. does anyone know?
Monteague

United States

#85 May 4, 2009
Joe did have one of the prettiest shots I have ever seen. The 89-90 and 90-91 Cawood teams should have went farther they had some good talent.
Seen em all but Wah

Georgetown, KY

#86 May 5, 2009
There have been some very good and some bad posts on this topic. I don't normally post, but I've been quoted already so I'll add my two cents worth. 1) Wah Jones. His accomplishments are so over the top. Better than any other in the County's history that there is no debate. 2) Charles Thomas. Overwhelming Mr. Basketball. Final Four star. Without injury, would have had a legitimate shot at NBA. Minnesota fans thought he was the second coming of Veshon Leonard and Bobby Jackson, who had great NBA careers. 3) Phil Cox. He was Mr. Basketball after Manual Forrest chose to play in another All-Star game. (maybe McDonalds) All SEC, Vandys' leading scorer when he graduated. 4) Nick Sanford. Best in the state behind Rex. Great NAIA career. He could have played D-1 for sure, but would have never stayed in school. Those four are at one level. The next group would start will Dickie Parsons, Mike Granato, Ernest Trosper, Todd Cox. Next level would certainly include a discussion of Jeff Miller, Mike Jones,Blake Hubbs, Casey Lester, Garrett Gregory, Maurice Byrd, Charles Tabb. Dr. Grey says his best player was a guard named Phillips, but many would put Aubrey Williams name in the mix. Paul Gaffney was one of the most entertaining players I ever saw, but Gregory was the best player on that team and then Akal. Akal was better at Tennessee Wesleyan. Byrd broke both legs in high school, but was a monster at Cumberland College. Many others would name Richardson from East Benham, Steve Hudson from Loyall, the Bond brothers from Hall, the Hicks from Evarts, plus Gilbert Burton. There have been some great basketball players in Harlan County. We have been held back by some pretty poor coaches. I would like to see a discussion about best coaches. My top four would be 1) Joe Gilley, 2) George Francis, 3) Billy Hicks, 4) Mike Jones. Next would be John Bond, until the wheels fell off.
Seen em all but Wah

Georgetown, KY

#87 May 5, 2009
I should have included Greg Coldirn and David Parks in third group. Sorry. I'm sure I'll leave out others, also.
The Crow

Winchester, KY

#88 May 5, 2009
Intelligent and aged you are. Not a put down. I'm saying that you obviously aren't a kid. I just have to disagree with you putting Thomas ahead of Phil or Nick. Even though I think Nick was better than Phil, I would have to say that Phil is the best argument. You talk about accomplishments and I just don't see Thomas' as being more impressive than Phil's. Mr. B-ball outright and the Final 4 are the two things that he does have over Phil. Cox made all-SEC 2 years when Dominique Wilkins and Charles Barkley did. Someone else too, just can't think of who it was. Charles did contribute on the Final 4 team but I don't think he started? Phil was a go to guy almost immediately when he stepped on campus. I think you're probably a Green Dragon all the way as I see it because you seem too intelligent to really put Thomas ahead of Cox. And because of other statements you made. That's the beauty of opinions and it's fun to debate these things. I will have to say that naming Blake Hubbs over Boo Fields, P Nut Hearld, or even Gary Greer is TOTALLY off base. I've played with all of these guys,including Hubbs and they are much,much,much better than Blake. Boo made 1st team all-state and he truly was worthy of it.But just tell me, did you like the 6 players I named at the beginning of the thread?
Seen em all but Wah

Winchester, KY

#89 May 6, 2009
Yes, I did. If you will notice, the top four were on your list(different order), and the next two were also 5 & 6 in my book. I also agree on Hubbs. Points mean so much to so many people, but not so much to me. It often depends on when you played, whats in front of and behind you, how many points you scored. If Thomas had played in Jeff Millers spot, when there was very little talent in front of, and complimentary talent along-side, and a coach who loved to run, his totals would have been of the board.
There are some things I'd like to add. Jeff Miller was not a ball-hog. There have been several who took more and worse shots than he. He did truly come as close to reaching potential of ability as any kid I ever saw. Mike Granato did also. If you were not old enough to see him play, its a shame. His scoring ability and shooting percentage were amazing. Some others I left off the list were Charlie Rutledge. Another amazing scorer and all-around athlete. All-conference at Union on great teams, starting shortstop in baseball, and leading scorer in track. Union won conference track championship one year, and Charlie scored like 22 of their 23 total points. I also left off Dwain Farmer and Lawyer Partin. Also didn't see either of them play, but heard commendations from ones I respected. Phil's 51 point game against Clay in the regional tourney was a truly amazing single game performance. Another comment, I said Thomas starred in Final Four, not started.
whoholdsthegold

Harlan, KY

#90 May 6, 2009
other than the harlan independent teams of the 90's...how many county teams (cumberland, evarts, cawood) won the regional championship and went on to play in the Sweet 16? surely, in the history of the county with all these great players mentioned, theres a bunch of teams that accomplished this..can anyone help me out??
The Crow

Winchester, KY

#91 May 6, 2009
Unfortunately I'm way too young to have seen Granato play. My Uncle has told me many times what a tremendous athlete he was. I think he originally signed to play football at UK but ended up having a great basketball career at Cumberland Coll. I've heard stories about Rutledge also. Alot of older people I talk to are really,really high on Steve Hudson. I hear that he was one of the best natural athletes to come out of the county. To answer the other guys' question, Cumberland 4 or 5 tears ago is the only other boys regional champ that I know of. Of course Wah Wah's teams won a couple of state titles. How about "seen em' all"? I'm sure you can name anybody else.
Monteague

United States

#92 May 6, 2009
Harlan has won 10 regional titles and one state title in the sweet 16 and they have fared better than that with the Clas A tourney. I can't ever remember another boys team from this region reaching the Sweet 16, on the girls side Harlan, Cumberland and Cawood have all won region titles.
Monteague

United States

#93 May 6, 2009
I think Steve Hudson ( whose son Kevin played on those Green Dragon teams of the 90's) averaged over 20ppg in college playing for Piedmont College in Georgia.
unit

Harlan, KY

#94 May 6, 2009
what about dennis smith? ppl say him and his son jon might be the best ever father and son to have played in harlan county.
The Crow

Winchester, KY

#95 May 6, 2009
Monteague wrote:
Harlan has won 10 regional titles and one state title in the sweet 16 and they have fared better than that with the Clas A tourney. I can't ever remember another boys team from this region reaching the Sweet 16, on the girls side Harlan, Cumberland and Cawood have all won region titles.
Cumberland played in the Sweet 16 when Eddie Creech, Matt Haynes, Pooh Smith played. About 5-6 years ago.
Seen em all but Wah

Winchester, KY

#96 May 6, 2009
Cumberland won the region in 1943 and 200something, and Benham went twice in 1931 and 1935. Harlan has been 11 times. No other county teams won the region.
Monteague

United States

#97 May 6, 2009
I thought 1943 was the year Harlan won the state? I know it was in the 40's when Wah Wah played there.
Seen em all but Wah

Winchester, KY

#98 May 6, 2009
Harlan was second in 1942, Wah's freshman year, won in 1944, Wah's junior year, third in 1945 and 1995. I also notice that Cumberland is listed as being in the state tourney in 1943, same as Harlan. I had always heard that only Benham and Harlan had been until the Redskins went in 200? I wonder if the 1943 Cumberland might have been Cumberland Co.?
redsox

Goodyear, AZ

#99 May 6, 2009
yeah it was cumberland co.. Jack Harris that played at Hall High was the best basketball player in the county in the 40's. he averaged over 30ppg and used to abuse wah wah in practice at UK. Rupp signed both of them but offered Jack the scholarship first. But Jack after his first year at UK he was one of the ones that got in trouble for the gambling scandle that ended up in dismissal. Wah wah told me one year at the state tournament that Jack was the best player he ever played against.
Seen em all but Wah

Winchester, KY

#100 May 6, 2009
I don't know the Jack Harris name, but there is small problem with story. Wah went to UK in 1945-46 and played on national championship teams in 1948 and 1949. The scandal broke after these seasons, and in the book about the "fabulous five", Groza, Beard, Jones, Barker, Barksdale, I don't remember a Harris being mentioned. Not saying he didn't exist or didn't play and don't understand the dismissal comment. Where the charges dismissed or Harris dismissed?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 26 min Athenesword 149,811
Word Association (Feb '15) 30 min Princess Hey 1,575
***last post wins*** (May '11) 57 min Mark mark 16,419
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 4,630
pace 7 hr bad dog 1
Tom Caudill 10 hr Curious 1
Josh Shanks jail time? (May '14) 15 hr EHS 6

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages