“"South of Southern”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1 Nov 17, 2012
It’s nearly that time. Its evident and undeniable that winter and all that accompanies it in its travels, the brisk cold, the persistent frost and the visible word are all just around the corner. The conflict between flesh and soul has begun. The flesh seeking for refuge while the soul welcomes winter and all the magic it brings wholeheartedly and with open arms.

It’s that time when the jubilant of the younger thaws the coldest heart of the elder. When the children’s unshakable faith in the magic is established, nurtured, longed for, cherished and perhaps believed in part, by the adults. Youthful eyes turn skyward desperately searching for evidence, young ears more attentive than usual listening for that single jingle of confirmation. So sure in their convictions that he does exist that even the older ones catch themselves casting a watchful eye skyward cocking their head to one side listening intently hoping against hope that what they believed as children was actually rooted and grounded upon solid foundations of facts.

From without? Frost, gray sky's, dripping icicles, snow. From within? Warmth, laughter, joyous songs of a miraculous birth and wonderful aromas of talented chefs yet heralded only by the common. These two realms so contrast, are yet separated by mere panes of fogged glass. Ravenous appetites are satisfied by lavish dinning of exotic dishes not common on most tables throughout the year. And dishes are consumed for the ultimate satisfaction of taste, with healthy nourishment for the body being eagerly and willingly sacrificed if necessary.
It’s a time when the rush. The hustle and bustle and the congested commute, though complained about openly are secretly enjoyed. The market places come alive with each merchants place of business being lit with brilliant dancing arrays of color. Green, red, white, silver and gold being the most preferred.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#2 Nov 17, 2012
It’s a time when troubles and thoughts of despair are given only brief considerations with only temporary solutions being offered for their plight. These unwelcome tenants are quickly evicted to make way for more joyous occupants. Sought for, rounded up, and ushered in from several different sources. These new occupants are allowed to remain rent free only occasionally molested be the previous resident.

It’s a time when the benefactors joy in receiving material gifts is surpassed only by joy of the giver. A time when even fellows of a baser sort can be humbled by the simplicity of giving.

It’s a time when solitary is replaced by togetherness. Loneliness is eradicated by comfort. Rudeness receives tolerance. And the prosperity and well being that is so eternally and desperately sought is no more singular, but plural and the welfare of the vast masses is sought.

Ah Christmas, Christmas, Christmas! Cant wait. I speak it three times in hopes that maybe by some slight chance the magic DOES exist and calling upon it three times may give speed of wing to hurry its blessed arrival.
almostfamous

Pineville, KY

#3 Nov 17, 2012
Appreciate your enthusiasm Raw. I just can't seem to muster up much on this end. i'm just so sad about this country Raw. Other things too.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#4 Nov 17, 2012
I can't wait either! Winter Solstice is one of my favorite holidays as well. A reminder that old things pass away and the world gives birth to a sense of renewal, starting fresh in the cycle.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#6 Nov 17, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
I can't wait either! Winter Solstice is one of my favorite holidays as well. A reminder that old things pass away and the world gives birth to a sense of renewal, starting fresh in the cycle.
For me its all about Sanny Claws (Hillbillies pronounce it Sanny Claws. Not Santa Claus) "Silent night" and experiencing the excited anticipation in the eyes of my children. I think I get more excited about giving them their gifts than the do receiving them.

Have a Good'un!

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#7 Nov 17, 2012
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
For me its all about Sanny Claws (Hillbillies pronounce it Sanny Claws. Not Santa Claus) "Silent night" and experiencing the excited anticipation in the eyes of my children. I think I get more excited about giving them their gifts than the do receiving them.
Have a Good'un!
Oh I still enjoy all the decorations and have fond memories of Mike Howard delivering presents down in Wallins. I especially used to love how try would put up the candle and snowflake decorations along the road in downtown Harlan.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#8 Nov 17, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I still enjoy all the decorations and have fond memories of Mike Howard delivering presents down in Wallins. I especially used to love how try would put up the candle and snowflake decorations along the road in downtown Harlan.
My joy of Christmas is more internal and of a personal experience.
Though I do appreciate what Mike does.

I enjoy adding desperation to my children's growing excitement at each and every opportunity.

It's Christmas movies and Christmas plays.

Going out in the cold to try to find that one special gift that your child requested who when they requested that Sanny bring it to them, they were unaware and unconcerned with the near impossibility and of obtaining it.

I love piling the family in the car and driving around looking at all the Christmas lights. Listening to them ooh-ing and ahh-ing.

Listening to the Christmas music reverberating throughout the house.

Eating until you come close to committing gluttony.

And then when all alone with no other soul to interrupt. Setting down in the darkness of the evening shadows after all the family has went to sleep I call to remembrance many former Christmas's' and the joy they left behind. And I try also to call to remembrance what the season is TRULY all about, pondering the miraculous wonder of it all. And not forgetting to thank HIM for all that is well and good and for his giving of the greatest gift ever given to man.

Thats my Christmas. And the memories are the greatest treasures of all.

Have a Good'un
jimbo

Florham Park, NJ

#9 Nov 22, 2012
almostfamous wrote:
Appreciate your enthusiasm Raw. I just can't seem to muster up much on this end. i'm just so sad about this country Raw. Other things too.
move to china with rommy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 4,781
***last post wins*** (May '11) 1 hr Mark mark 16,720
cb radio glory days are over with (Nov '15) 1 hr Mark mark 8
Tom Caudill 3 hr FBI 5
Intermont Apartments: Opinions 3 hr EIIa 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Bloody Bill Anderson 151,611
Kara hickson 5 hr Jim Bob 7
woodland hills 5 hr King nothing 81

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages