Betty "lightning" Jackson murdered in...

Betty "lightning" Jackson murdered in 1970s or 19 80s in harlan ky

Posted in the Harlan Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
curious me

Macon, GA

#1 Feb 10, 2012
Does anyone have any info on this murder I have searched the web and cannot find anything. The victom was betty jackson. Ive heard that she was found on lttle shephards trail. If you know any thing please type it in so that i may get better educated on what happened. Thanks for your help.
Old Timer

Prestonsburg, KY

#2 Feb 11, 2012
I think she was killed by the Stevens brothers & I think she was found on Glenbrook Mountain next to Ky. & Va. border.I think it may have been Crockit and Rodney Steven that were convicted of the murder, along with a murder in Lee County Va. and a murder in Smith Ky. Seems like the one in Va. a mans body was found in a pond & the one inSmith the body was found in a saw mill.Hope this helped a little .
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#3 Feb 11, 2012
I remember people talking about them when I was young and their brother. If you type in crockett and rodney stevens murderers then some info comes up about the other two but none about the lady.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#4 Feb 11, 2012
Murder
Indictments
HARLAN, Ky.(AP)- Two
Virginia have been indicted on
murder charges in the death of
a Cawood man whose body was
discovered in a sawdust pile at
an abandoned sawdust mill at
Smith, Ky., last week.
Rodney Stevens, in his 30s,
and his brother, Meb Crockett
Stevens, 35, both of St. Charles,
Va., were indicted by a Harlan
County grand jury Monday.
The grand jury also indicted a
third man on a first-degree
murder charge, but his name
was withheld. Harlan County
Sheriff Billy Williams said the
third man had not been apprehended.
Meanwhile, Williams said a
warrant was issued for a fourth
man on charges of being an accessory
after the fact of murder.
The Stevens men are charged
with the slaying of Kenneth
I.ynn Smith, 25, of Cawood, who
had been missing since July 31;
1973. Williams said the body
was discovered after information
was received from a tipster.
Meb Crockett Stevens is
lodged in the Harlan County
Jail. State Police said Rodney
Stevens is being held by author-.
ites in l County, Virginia, on
a charge of murder in the death
of another man
Old lady

Baxter, KY

#5 Feb 11, 2012
I remember Lightning ,Ithink she grew up at Yancey , ky. I remember when this happened.
wasnt sure tho who did this to her..but thanks for the infro
Old Timer

Prestonsburg, KY

#6 Feb 12, 2012
I thank they were charged later for the Jackson murder.I think they were linked. Seems like they killed her because she witnessed the other murders,or knew something about them.Happened in the early 70's I thank.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#7 Feb 12, 2012
A tragic end was written last Monday night to the life story of Franklin N. Stevens, 34, of St. Charles. He died in a gun battle with Lee County Deputies, after a wild chase that extended from Chestnut Ridge, east of Jonesville, on U.S. 58, to some ten miles west of Jonesville, where he wrecked the car. Lee County Deputies overtook him at this point where a shootout ended his life.
An extensive search had been underway by Virginia and Kentucky law enforcement officers since Stevens had allegedly gunned down, Harlan County Deputy Officer, Wilson McLain, 53, in the Cold Spring Market, north of Pennington Gap, on U.S. route 421, last Saturday afternoon.
Funeral services for Franklin M. Stevens will be held Friday at one p.m. in the Free Pentacostal Holiness Church at Smith, Kentucky, with the Reverends Deuner Short and Henry Long officiating. Burial will follow in the Middleton Cemetery, also in Kentucky.
The body will be taken to the home of a brother, Jack Stevens, Pennington Gap, where the family will receive friends Thursday evening between the hours of seven and nine o'clock.
He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Roxie Stevens of St. Charles; five brothers, Ford, Worchester, Mass.; Labourn, Crockett and Rodney all of St. Charles and Jack of Pennington Gap; three sisters, Janette Petersons, sonata, California, Bonnie White, Chicago, Ill., Rose Marindino, Louisville, Ky.
Province Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Events that eventually led to the death of Franklin M. Stevens were put in motion last Saturday afternoon when he allegedly walked into the Cold Spring Market, approaching Harlan County Deputy Sheriff Wilson McLain from behind; pulled his (McLain's) gun from the holster and shot him four or five times. McLain was dead when the Lee County Rescue Squad reached the scene.
Stevens, according to police immediately forced one of the clerks in the store to drive him in a store vehicle some three miles, where he entered the woods.
The shooting immediately set in motion a massive man hunt which involved Lee County and Harlan County Law enforcement officers as well as State Police from both states. The search continued along the Virginia-Kentucky border, on the ground and from the air.
Police surmised that the shooting of McLain may have been tied in with the fact that two of Stevens brothers were recently imprisoned for a Harlan County murder in 1975.
A recent Harlan County robbery may also have been a factor in the shooting, police surmised. McLain, police said, had been in search of Stevens for questioning about this break-in.
Sheriff Paul T. Harber said that he had received a letter late Saturday afternoon from Virginia parole authorities instructing him to arrest Stevens who had been granted parole five weeks ago after serving time in a Kentucky state prison.
Lee County Sheriff's deputies, Harber said, had seen Stevens early last Saturday morning, adding " if the letter from the parole officials had just come one day sooner McLain would possibly not have died."
CONTINUED
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#8 Feb 12, 2012
Lee County Sheriff's deputies, Harber said, had seen Stevens early last Saturday morning, adding " if the letter from the parole officials had just come one day sooner McLain would possibly not have died."

Events that led to Stevens death got underway Monday afternoon when a taxi driver in Pennington Gap, got a call to come to the Piggly Wiggly parking lot, in Pennington Gap according to a spokesman for the Sheriff's office. Once the fare had been picked up, the driver recognized Stevens. He was was instructed to take him (Stevens) to Jonesville. Enroute to Jonesville, according to a spokesman for the Sheriff's Department, Stevens instructed him to stop at Ben Hur "for something to drink." While there, the driver urged someone to call the Sheriff. This was done and the Sheriff's Deputies were dispatched in that direction, meeting the car carrying Stevens. Turning, they gave chase. At the foot of Chestnut Ridge, Stevens ordered the driver to stop the car at a high rate of speed, almost colliding with cars as he sped through Jonesville.

A roadblock was set up by Sheriff's Deputies west of Jonesville, near the Friendship Baptist Church. "How he got around our cars, I'll never know," a Deputy said. Once around the roadblock the chase continued to a point some ten miles west of Jonesville, at an ever increasing rate of speed. Finally Stevens car went out of control. First into the ditch on one side of the road and finally the car came to rest on the left side. Stevens, the spokesman said, came out of the car on the right hand side, with a .38 police special.

The shootout was short. A shotgun blast brought the episode to an end. When the Ambulance Service personnel arrived, Stevens was thought to be dead. County Coroner H.A. Kinser was called to the scene where he officially pronounced Stevens dead. An autopsy was performed as in such cases.

Powell Valley News 22 Apr 1976

Found this link below.

Frank James STEVENS, Defendant- Appellant, v. UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee. No. 20488. United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit. March 22, 1971

Best matches for frank stevens cold springs market murder
Harlan County Deputy Officer, Wilson McLain, 53, in the Cold Spring Market, north of... Jump to text
the fact that two of Stevens brothers were recently imprisoned for a Harlan County murder in 1975. Jump to text
Frank James STEVENS, Defendant- Appellant, v. Jump to text
More matches Fewer matches

“Making Shine”

Since: Dec 11

In the sticks of Ky

#9 Feb 12, 2012
wow that something!
according to reports

Oakvale, WV

#10 Jun 7, 2012
Powell Valley News- Jan. 10, 1974

The body of Betty Jackson, 11, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Jackson of Gray's Knob, was found buried beneath a log in the woods about four miles from Keokee, Va. The body was discovered by ginseng hunters W.C. Arnett and Thomas Glover in September, several weeks after her parents reported her missing.
according to reports

Hillsboro, WV

#11 Jun 7, 2012
I want to correct my typo-

Betty Jackson, age 22 not 11.
curious me

Jackson, KY

#12 Jun 11, 2012
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the info provided to me. Somethingabout this girl really called out to me. I thought she was found on Little Shephards trail Raped and murdered. Thanks everyone.
curious me

Jackson, KY

#13 Jun 11, 2012
To(according to reports) what sight did u get this info from? Id like to educate myself further and find out more about this case. Thanks much.
according to reports

Grundy, VA

#14 Jun 11, 2012
I used the newspaper archives, newspaperarchive dot com and other sources. It happened in 1973-74. Three people from Cawood and the surrounding area disappeared and were discovered dead in the woods and in water and other areas of Lee County Virginia. You see there was the murder of Betty Jackson, Charles Fee, and Kenneth Smith.

Betty Jackson-22 from Grays Knob KY was found in Keokee Septemeber of 73 in the woods under a log.

Charles Fee-56 from Harlan KY was found on Elys Creek in Virginia killed sometime after Dec. 73. He was found in a shallow pond near an abandoned strip mine. The body weighed down with a large rock and he had stab wounds in his neck and chest and he had a fractured skull.

Kenneth Smith-23 from Harlan KY was dug from a pile of sawdust near Cawood YK sometime around May of 1974. He had been missing since July 30 of 73. He was indicted in connection to a murder is what the reports say. I'm not certain on which murder that might be or if this is why he was killed. I'd like to know more if anyone else has any info.

The age varies on Smith between 22-23, I'm not sure of his age.
Sue

Harlan, KY

#15 Jun 11, 2012
was the charles fee harlan deputy? there was one with the same name.
disagree

Jonesville, VA

#16 Jun 12, 2012
I was always told they killed a man and left him in a pile of sawdust and another in Ely's Creek. Don't remember the details.
according to reports

Oakvale, WV

#17 Jun 12, 2012
Charles Fee was reported to have been given a black lung settlement of around $14,000, but that turned out to be a false report.

The man who was a deputy was named Wilson McClain in his mid 50's from Harlan was shot and killed in the Cold Springs Market on highway 421. He was killed Frank Stevens and three days later Frank Stevens was shot and killed by Lee County deputies. That was in April of 1976.

You might check this page out for some articles on McClain, I believe his family runs the site but I'm not certain. It is in the section of 1976 http :// swansonwill . tripod . com / newspaper . htm
Quest

Philadelphia, TN

#18 Jun 12, 2012
No it was not the deputy, Charles Fee.
according to reports

Vinton, VA

#19 Jun 12, 2012
I don't know if Fee was a deputy, there may be others by the name of Charles Fee but the Fee I refer to was found at or around the same time as the others and they were charged in his death.

For more info on the Smith murder go here:

http :// law . justia . com/cases/federal/appellate-co urts/F2/746/342/30839/
Angie Hamilton

Columbus, OH

#20 Aug 8, 2012
Crockett Stevens is my biological father. I am looking for more information on him as well as the rest of the family. Any info or resources will be helpful. Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr love 169,082
Florida Money 4 hr Strangers with candy 5
Co workers 4 hr Knows 5
She is beautiful 7 hr Misty 6
HCHS football 8 hr Guest 14
looking for a male pitbull to breed with my female (Sep '10) 9 hr Spg11pg 546
Beside Pizza Hut. 9 hr Boyd 8

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance