I'm so tired of hearing about coal miners!!

Posted in the Harlan Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Who Cares

Louisa, KY

#1 Jan 27, 2013
I'm so f@cking tired of hearing about coal miners.. I respect what they do, and I'm sorry they lost their job, but their not the only one's without a job!! But all you see out of this place is, help coal miners.. How about making some programs for people who don't work in the coal mines, I need a job just as bad as they do!!
about time

Winchester, KY

#2 Jan 27, 2013
Who Cares wrote:
I'm so f@cking tired of hearing about coal miners.. I respect what they do, and I'm sorry they lost their job, but their not the only one's without a job!! But all you see out of this place is, help coal miners.. How about making some programs for people who don't work in the coal mines, I need a job just as bad as they do!!
Amen to that!!
gifted

Duluth, GA

#3 Jan 27, 2013
Who Cares wrote:
I agree completely.
Guess what

Dayhoit, KY

#4 Jan 27, 2013
Finally someone else is saying what I have been for two years now!! And what few jobs that are around here, you can forget about getting unless you are a former coal miner. It's bullhockey!
Bubby

Harlan, KY

#5 Jan 27, 2013
Who care about the dam mines I don't
wal street

Harlan, KY

#6 Jan 28, 2013
hey these guys have made some dam good money as miner's, it's sad that they have made 75 to 100 tho dollars a year and cant make it 6 months with out losing everything they have? w t f. what they need is to have programs for these people on how to manage and prepare for hard times and quit living high on the hog and not worring about tommorow. yes i agree im so sick of heaing about miner's a lot more people are with out jobs too that need help educate these guys on managing their finance's

“"South of Southern”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Jan 28, 2013
Who Cares wrote:
If you live Southeastern Ky, then you would realize that YOUR job probably, most definitely depends upon the COAL MINERS!

I dont care if you love it, or hate it. The fact remains that Southeastern Ky, depends entirely upon COAL!

Hey maybe if the coal miners were working and pumping money into the economy around here, perhaps YOU would have a JOB! Maybe you cant find work becuase the coal miners are not spending money. Ever think about that?

Right now the regional economy is stagnant to say the least. The state and local governments are having to make HUGE cuts to their budgets (Some local governments are even facing bankruptcy) due to the loss of coal severance tax. And we may face higher state and local taxes due to the recent coal slump! Business' are shutting down all over the area becuase of the loss of revenue that coal puts back into the economy.

Now I'm a coal miner! And I don't want your praise, respect, or any dang thing from you. But if you are a local you better start realizing just how important coal is to our survival in Southeastern KY.

People like you keep screaming "We no longer need coal" Really?

Have you seen all the business shutting down? Have You heard about all the small town governments and even the state government that have had to cut very needful programs becuase of the loss of coal severance tax?
Put the miners back to work and then YOU will probably be able to find employment.

What else is that people like you say? "Coal can be replaced" Sure! But how? What else do we have aorund here?

"Lets bring in NEW industry so we dont have to depend upon coal for our jobs" Easier said than done Bub.

What new industry could even come close to replacing coal as the main source of economical stability in this region? Where are all these new technologies that are going to replace coal and become the savior of the Appalachian people?

You idiots who hate coal and wanted it shut down. Shut your mouth (You asked for it! And its going to get a lot worse )and stop complaining about no work or ..... leave the area!
Coal funds.

Roads. And all other types of infrastructure.
Public facilities. Libraries local and state government buildings.
Parks. State and federal.
Provides countless jobs on all levels.
Funds education, provides scholarships, funds all types of medical and other scientific research,... The list is endless.

You may hate it. Fine! But you can never deny it's importance.

seriously

London, KY

#8 Jan 28, 2013
That was seriously well said. You may not want or need my respect, but you guys sure do have my respect. Coal is my heritage all the guys in my family have worked in the coal mines. And I've in past seen my dad come home tired and wet up to his neck on cold winter days. He done what not many others would to do, just to support his family. Now to coal miners, I offer my utmost respect.
RawerTruth

London, KY

#9 Jan 28, 2013
Of course no other industry wants to come here, coal has polluted every damn thing, the air is dusty and full of diesel particulate, and you couldn't pay me enough money to swim or eat fish from a creek around here; too much runoff from these beautiful, well developed mountain top removal sites. I'm so glad our life giving mountains get blown up and all these businesses get to set up shop on the hilltops, it's damn wonderful. Coal keeps people poor, and companies pay just enough to sway dumb ppl like rawtruth from going to college and actually doing something to better the area. It's a fact that cancer rates increase the closer you get to mining communities and coal fired power plants. Is that just a coincidence? NO, coal kills people. One day it will get you too Raw. Keep denying the truth you poor, dumb bastard. On a positive note, mining fatalities were down by about half in 2012, mostly because most the miners are sitting at the damn house! LMAO! "Coal mining our Past"
Agreed

Loyall, KY

#10 Jan 28, 2013
Like many people in Harlan, coal has provided for me & my family for generations, but I agree that everyone should have help and equal opportunities at finding employment. Coal miners are mostly hard workers who do a very demanding job under less than desirable conditions, but they aren't hereos, shouldn't be praised , and certainly not treated any differently than anyone else.
Who Cares

Louisa, KY

#11 Jan 29, 2013
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
If you live Southeastern Ky, then you would realize that YOUR job probably, most definitely depends upon the COAL MINERS!
I dont care if you love it, or hate it. The fact remains that Southeastern Ky, depends entirely upon COAL!
Hey maybe if the coal miners were working and pumping money into the economy around here, perhaps YOU would have a JOB! Maybe you cant find work becuase the coal miners are not spending money. Ever think about that?
Right now the regional economy is stagnant to say the least. The state and local governments are having to make HUGE cuts to their budgets (Some local governments are even facing bankruptcy) due to the loss of coal severance tax. And we may face higher state and local taxes due to the recent coal slump! Business' are shutting down all over the area becuase of the loss of revenue that coal puts back into the economy.
Now I'm a coal miner! And I don't want your praise, respect, or any dang thing from you. But if you are a local you better start realizing just how important coal is to our survival in Southeastern KY.
Have you seen all the business shutting down? Have You heard about all the small town governments and even the state government that have had to cut very needful programs becuase of the loss of coal severance tax?
Put the miners back to work and then YOU will probably be able to find employment.
What else is that people like you say? "Coal can be replaced" Sure! But how? What else do we have aorund here?
"Lets bring in NEW industry so we dont have to depend upon coal for our jobs" Easier said than done Bub.
What new industry could even come close to replacing coal as the main source of economical stability in this region? Where are all these new technologies that are going to replace coal and become the savior of the Appalachian people?
You idiots who hate coal and wanted it shut down. Shut your mouth (You asked for it! And its going to get a lot worse )and stop complaining about no work or ..... leave the area!
Coal funds.
Funds education, provides scholarships, funds all types of medical and other scientific research,... The list is endless.
YOUR an Idiot!! I know this town needs coal. I'm just tired of hearing hearing about it.. All I'm saying is, Quit f@cking whinning, their not the only ones without jobs.. I didn't say I hate coal. Why don't you read what I wrote before you put your two cents in. Your probably a check drawer, so you probably have no idea about looking for work!!
old friend

Duluth, GA

#12 Jan 29, 2013
You live in South Eastern Ky,if you don't want to hear about coal miners get off your butt get yourself a job ANYWHERE. Without the coal miners anyone else that doesn't have a job and gets one will not be able to pay their electric bill regardless of the job they have.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#13 Jan 29, 2013
old friend wrote:
You live in South Eastern Ky,if you don't want to hear about coal miners get off your butt get yourself a job ANYWHERE. Without the coal miners anyone else that doesn't have a job and gets one will not be able to pay their electric bill regardless of the job they have.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

I follow the "coal keeps the lights on" reasoning, but I'm not sure how closed coal mines will keep everyone from paying their electric bill.
truth

London, KY

#14 Jan 29, 2013
RawerTruth wrote:
Of course no other industry wants to come here, coal has polluted every damn thing, the air is dusty and full of diesel particulate, and you couldn't pay me enough money to swim or eat fish from a creek around here; too much runoff from these beautiful, well developed mountain top removal sites. I'm so glad our life giving mountains get blown up and all these businesses get to set up shop on the hilltops, it's damn wonderful. Coal keeps people poor, and companies pay just enough to sway dumb ppl like rawtruth from going to college and actually doing something to better the area. It's a fact that cancer rates increase the closer you get to mining communities and coal fired power plants. Is that just a coincidence? NO, coal kills people. One day it will get you too Raw. Keep denying the truth you poor, dumb bastard. On a positive note, mining fatalities were down by about half in 2012, mostly because most the miners are sitting at the damn house! LMAO! "Coal mining our Past"
so agree that mountain top removel is wrong and im a coal miner. i love these mountains and i dont think they should be removed but i dont see any problem with under ground operations. i have and will swim in our river with out worry just as i did when i was a kid. i understand that we all have to work and provide for our famlies and coal runs our state and if there was no coal mines then wal mart,srores and food chains would leave. so before you start putting the coal miner under the bus just think how youre job or check comes about.
support coal

United States

#15 Jan 29, 2013
hey if they didn't work and half of thier money took in taxes that pays for your dam food stamps and medical card that you use every day doctor hopping.think about that at least they do have the decency to get off of thier ass and work that's why women love coal miners they are real men!!!!! enough said....so suck on that all of you that are aginst coal!!!!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#16 Jan 29, 2013
support coal wrote:
hey if they didn't work and half of thier money took in taxes that pays for your dam food stamps and medical card
I hope you realize that every cent of our tax money goes to paying interest to the central bank on our national debt.

If you are paying half of you money in taxes then that's your fault.

Why is it whenever one of you simpletons gets put in your place then the opposing person must be on some kind of assistance? Does it make you feel superior to think that someone needs help feeding their kids?

I work 6-8 months a year and do hella good for myself thank you very much. Grow up.
lets

Hyden, KY

#17 Jan 29, 2013
face facts coal plays bib part of things most don't think about at times.but when its effects begin to show then you see the damages of things not having it around.coal not finished its taking a break a while the big boys the oil co. are in a struggle to try corner the mkt. on it its a big part of energy for yrs to come.so they fight in each party in Washington who gets the best deal on it. and in the mean time the worker is without.but the gov wont let it go on much longer when the start missing that easy money they make from it they start getting their act together.again..first it hits the state gov. then the federal .then all small gov. like city county.so on when this takes place then you see some action.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#18 Jan 30, 2013
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Coal funds.
I thought ya'll was selling coal to China and was busier than all get out.

Are you prepping yet? Saving money is prepping.

“"South of Southern”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#19 Jan 30, 2013
Jimmy Rants wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought ya'll was selling coal to China and was busier than all get out.
Are you prepping yet? Saving money is prepping.
Not China.

India.

West Virgina and Kentucky signed a deal to produce 9 million tons of coal annually for India

Kentucky coal producers signed a deal to export up to nine million tons of coal a year for the next 25 years, to the reported tune of $7 billion.

Unfortunately 9 million tons is not going to cause coal to BOOM! But coupled with the sell of MET coal (Which there is NO WAY to eliminate at the moment.) it will provide the coal industry with some stability.

Uh next time you want to be sarcastic you might want to check the FACTS. Cuz if ya dont, you come off sounding a little ignorant.

And yes Ky and other coal producing states are working on deals with China. I can easily prove that one also. And the main obstacle is Obama and his cronies at the EPA!

Coal is NOT dead Jim. But it is suffering. But it is a long long way from becoming obsolete. The current demand for coal in America is simply not to the point where it can sustain a LARGE workforce. But never doubt it. Coal is still being mined and will be mined for decades to come.
Rawertruth

London, KY

#20 Jan 30, 2013
Coal will boom once again when the rest of the work force is phased out and machines take their place. Then the loving coal companies will save money and will be able to mine more coal...using machines. It's sad how people around here are actually duped into thinking and honestly believing there's a future in coal. Seriously though, when are they going to start building stuff on the MTR sites? All I see is bald spots in the hills that are uglier than Raw's old lady, not a damn factory, store, or ranch one. Do you people really think anything will ever be built up there?!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 11 min Marie 136,236
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 20 min _FLATLINE-------- 1,647
is Ursula Hensley really a man? 29 min concerned citizen 1
Word Association 47 min texas pete 459
***last post wins*** (May '11) 1 hr Sweepyface 1,934
Cheyanne gailey 1 hr shethinkssheshot 1
Prostitutes in Harlan, Kentucky (May '13) 1 hr shesuckedme 70
keep a word + drop a word (Nov '11) 2 hr surely 3,754
Stabbing at Blue Courts 4 hr Truth 2
More from around the web

Harlan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance