Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
93,861 - 93,880 of 130,466 Comments Last updated 19 min ago

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He is the Alpha and Omega as far as we are concerned.(And this is just me thinking) We are subject to Him. That's all that matters to us right now. The rest is irrelevant. I'm just asking what if?
I believe He did know they would choose to eat of the fruit, but He still left it up to them to choose. I think it's a fine line between omniscience and predestination. I don't understand it fully but I can distinguish between the two.
Like if I give my kids the choice between broccoli and ice cream, I know which ones will choose which food because I have learned what they desire, because I have spent time with them and learned their behaviors. It doesn't mean I'm omniscient, nor that I have predestined what they will choose.
We lived with Him before we came here. He knows us. He watched us learn talents and skills and develop personalities.
In your ice cream example it is still possible for a child to choose broccoli. Highly unlikely, but possible. Your ability to predict which they will choose rests upon your experience with the kids and with your ability to understand probabilities.

God is not human. According to every Christian tradition I've ever encountered God is perfect. He knows *everything*. So it is not a matter of God using probability to deduce what Adam and Eve would do. He simply already knew it.

From any logical perspective that rules out the possibility of free will. You cannot be simultaneously free to choose while the knowledge of your choice is already established somewhere else. It breaks every law of physics.

And once you go down the road of claiming that God can do these magical things you are in the realm of 100% faith and 0% reason. That's fine if you want to believe it, but it is not a rational position nor can it be defended in a reasonable debate.

You are putting your own personal theories into the mind of God. I'm not sure how you can justify that other than you're trying to rationalize an irrational position.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe in demon possession today?
I do!
I've cast them out!
They are real...
God is real!
Hello

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Envy is what drives motivation, without it, we would have no technology at all.
Motivation and ambition can be completely free of envy.
One can be motivated by the desire to provide for ones family or from curiosity and a willingness to build or create things that make peoples lives better.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
God, No God.... Man will never be, can never be made perfect.....
That IS why He sent us Jesus!!!
Amen!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Motivation and ambition can be completely free of envy.
One can be motivated by the desire to provide for ones family or from curiosity and a willingness to build or create things that make peoples lives better.
You have got to be joking, no one can this in this much denial of reality.

Why do you have an iPhone? Because Apple wanted to make something better than Microsoft.

Why do you have Windows? Because Microsoft wanted to make a better operating system for computer illiterates so even you uneducated morons could use them.

Why do you have food on your table? Because someone wanted a profit so they could buy other things.

It's all envy, all of it, every innovation.
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Your god told you to rejoice as you kill babies (Psalms 137:9) so you must kill babies to follow your god.
Here in America christian groups kill, rape, steal so you are complaining that some people do as your god says and kill babies???
Wrong!
You lie with every post...
Proving the Bible to be true, and correct!
You think you have morals? NO!
You are one of the nastiest posters on here, and prove it daily!
You make your religion look as ignorant as you, and it is!
God is real, and you will rue the days of your ignorance!
Good day!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

chang wrote:
<quoted text> The so called marriage equality act will come to light, if not already, because this is the devils kingdom of the lost and the damned.
They that lay with the same sex are just that...lost and damned. Not to mention disgusting.
The previous poster questioning the lack of response of God in the horrible act against the three young girls...simple answer...God did not intervene for reasons any human mind can not comprehend. Be it known though it was a man of your god.. satan...that carried the crime out.
When a saved child of God enters the kingdom ofHeaven, then and only then, will our questions that we can not answer here on earth be known and understood. The Lord says we will know by and by and not to question Him. If his Book says it is so, then it is.
I feel you and other satan soldiers are rich in the sense that every prelude to a God conversation that you are heavily armored and do a very fine job of putting doubt in those that are seeking or weak in faith. With that being said, you will be held accountable for your heathen beliefs, words, and blasphemy. When you stand on the left side of God come judgment day, you will reap your fire fueled words and satan will not be able to help your soul.
I find you educated, yet foolish. Eloquent in speech, yet ignorant in content.
I would pray for your soul, but the Lord does not hear prayers for those that are damned.
My Lord is mercy, yet vengeful. My Lord is love, yet hates. He gives you, the lost, the run of this world, cuz you will not have ever lasting life. No matter how many books you read, no matter how many classes you take, no matter how many saved people you encounter...you will never know God. His reasons, His Grace, His promises...they are only for His elect. Not for the bastards.
Sound unfair? Then turn to your master for answers and as everybody seen on this site alone...you come up empty and unsure and still ignorant.
Blessings to the Lords Elect. Matthew 24th chapter just seems to be lifted up off the holy pages. The devils bastards keep proving the precious words over and over and yet, they are so blind, they know not what they do.
What they yearn to do, they keep doing the opposite. They tend to be so educated and yet sooooooo naive.
Laughable.
Great post!
God Bless you, and yours!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Aww.. should my feelings be hurt?
You keep saying "believe want you want!" But you keep insisting that people believe what YOU want to believe.
Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings!
Just want you to open your eyes to the truth!
If sperm hits an egg, and goes un-interrupted... it
becomes a Baby!
Killing one before it comes out... it's still a baby...
A Dead Baby!
What do you believe?
Hello

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be joking, no one can this in this much denial of reality.
Why do you have an iPhone? Because Apple wanted to make something better than Microsoft.
Why do you have Windows? Because Microsoft wanted to make a better operating system for computer illiterates so even you uneducated morons could use them.
Why do you have food on your table? Because someone wanted a profit so they could buy other things.
It's all envy, all of it, every innovation.
To allow one's self to be motivated by envy wouldn't be the healthy way to go. If your desire is to provide for your family I think you would be happier. Some people give to charity.

But, don't underestimate the power of curiosity. Many accomplish great things while being motivated by their desire to discover and invent. Sometimes the profits are a secondary reward.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
"we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things"......

What the heck?? A seventh layer of atmosphere...made of water...

Evidence? And if you say "the flood" I'll punch a baby seal because that is just dumb.

Don't start with your answer and try to rationalize from it.
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in a public school. In a public school it would be unconstitutional...and that's just bad.
No it's NOT!
We the People want it... even if you few do not!
It's an elective, it's history, it's our heritage!
happy

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>This is true. Prayer, when studied scientifically, does nothing for other people. It does have a postiive affect on you personally. But that is no different from meditation, relaxation, or a nice massage. It's placebo.
Prayer for other people - intercessory prayer - shows no effect.
Also, I find it insulting when people claim that God answered their prayers for the same reasons you give. I keep going back to a story I posted on here recently about three girls who were raped, murdered, and tossed down a well. I can't imagine a world in which the Christian god exists and such a crime can still take place. Free will my ass.
Your god is either a phenomenally evil monster or he isn't that tough to begin with.
Or....he does not exist.
God has answered prayers for me but He has also said "WAIT" , "not now", or "no"...
Not sure whose God u r talking abt.. How can you even talk abt a God you do not know? That's right! You cannot! I know Him personally. He is wonderful. My God is not the same God you speak of.
THANK YOU GOD for sending Your Son to the cross for MY sins. I don't deserve your Love but I need it and am so grateful. Thank You that you love us anyway, that You desire to spend time with me. Thank you for taking such great care of me!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

chang wrote:
<quoted text> The so called marriage equality act will come to light, if not already, because this is the devils kingdom of the lost and the damned.
They that lay with the same sex are just that...lost and damned. Not to mention disgusting.
The previous poster questioning the lack of response of God in the horrible act against the three young girls...simple answer...God did not intervene for reasons any human mind can not comprehend. Be it known though it was a man of your god.. satan...that carried the crime out.
When a saved child of God enters the kingdom ofHeaven, then and only then, will our questions that we can not answer here on earth be known and understood. The Lord says we will know by and by and not to question Him. If his Book says it is so, then it is....
I love how good Christians will say that gays are disgusting. I bet when you are pinned down on the issue you fall back to "love the sinner, hate the sin". I think that line of thinking is disgusting and amoral.

Now, regarding your dodge of the raped and murdered children...

You say that we cannot know the mind of God, therefore you are saying there was a good reason for these little girls to be raped and murdered. Otherwise your God allowed an evil thing to happen for a bad reason, correct?

But by claiming to know anything at all about God's motivations or plans then you have some kind of special knowledge of God's mind. How did you come to that knowledge? Did you make a decision to accept the Bible as true? If so, then aren't you just using your own brain to make decisions about God's mind?

Also, I find your line of reasoning quite repugnant to begin with. I don't know about you but when I hear about little kids being raped and murdered it angers me. It makes me sad. I want to reach out and help them. I don't start making justifications for the evil just so I can continue to have my magic beliefs.

You realize you are defending rape and murder, right? Under your rules, I can kill and rape and torture all day long. And if it happens, then it must be a *good* thing because God allowed it to happen. Otherwise God's Top Secret Plan™ is not that good, is it?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
In your ice cream example it is still possible for a child to choose broccoli. Highly unlikely, but possible. Your ability to predict which they will choose rests upon your experience with the kids and with your ability to understand probabilities.
God is not human. According to every Christian tradition I've ever encountered God is perfect. He knows *everything*. So it is not a matter of God using probability to deduce what Adam and Eve would do. He simply already knew it.
From any logical perspective that rules out the possibility of free will. You cannot be simultaneously free to choose while the knowledge of your choice is already established somewhere else. It breaks every law of physics.
And once you go down the road of claiming that God can do these magical things you are in the realm of 100% faith and 0% reason. That's fine if you want to believe it, but it is not a rational position nor can it be defended in a reasonable debate.
You are putting your own personal theories into the mind of God. I'm not sure how you can justify that other than you're trying to rationalize an irrational position.
Well said. It's always interesting to see the mental gymnastics that occur when believers honestly try to address these types of questions.
Hello

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
"we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things"......
What the heck?? A seventh layer of atmosphere...made of water...
Evidence? And if you say "the flood" I'll punch a baby seal because that is just dumb.
Don't start with your answer and try to rationalize from it.
I'm not sure what state of matter the water canopy was. The earth was in the water and out of the water so the climate was much milder and consistent. Almost like a large climate controlled biosphere. The evidence is in the fossil record. Tropical type plants of extraordinary size found all over the planet, including the artic regions. Higher percentages of oxygen are found in the lower rock layers also.
Dinosaurs nostrils are too small to allow them to live on earth today because of the lack of atmospheric pressure that was present when the water canopy was in place. Many other things, but I have to go to work. Have a good day.
Hello

Butler, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

arctic

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
God has answered prayers for me but He has also said "WAIT" , "not now", or "no"...
Not sure whose God u r talking abt.. How can you even talk abt a God you do not know? That's right! You cannot! I know Him personally. He is wonderful. My God is not the same God you speak of.
THANK YOU GOD for sending Your Son to the cross for MY sins. I don't deserve your Love but I need it and am so grateful. Thank You that you love us anyway, that You desire to spend time with me. Thank you for taking such great care of me!
Hold on a second...If God sometimes says no, sometimes says wait, and sometimes says yes...how is that different from no God at all?

And did God ever LITERALLY say "wait", or is that a figure of speech? Do you *literally* hear a voice? Who does he sound like? Donald Trump? Ben Kingsly? Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite?

"Prayers offered by strangers had no effect on the recovery of people who were undergoing heart surgery, a large and long-awaited study has found."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pr...

"Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studies_on_inter...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

openyoureyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote “In a public school it would be unconstitutional” Where in the U.S. Constitution do you find that Lie, or are you referring to Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Cuba, Iraq, Syria.
The 1st Amendment. Specifically the establishment clause of the first amendment. It's pretty clear. I'm sorry that you're incapable of understanding it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what state of matter the water canopy was. The earth was in the water and out of the water so the climate was much milder and consistent. Almost like a large climate controlled biosphere. The evidence is in the fossil record. Tropical type plants of extraordinary size found all over the planet, including the artic regions. Higher percentages of oxygen are found in the lower rock layers also.
Dinosaurs nostrils are too small to allow them to live on earth today because of the lack of atmospheric pressure that was present when the water canopy was in place. Many other things, but I have to go to work. Have a good day.
I will try not to be too snarky. I find Creationism to be intellectually empty so it is not going to be easy.

Ok, so you are proposing that this HUGE layer of water vapor existed in Noah's time, right? What is your reason for coming to this conclusion? The evidence is not there. Citing large plants is not nearly enough evidence to justify this water vapor layer. It would be like trying to explain immense dinosaurs by claiming that all plant life on Earth used to contain special magical nutrients that made things get really huge. There's just no reason to introduce such a weird, outlandish idea.

Here is what Talk Origins says about the water vapor idea:

" Now the "vapor canopy" would form a part of the atmosphere, being a body of gas (water vapor) gravitationally held to the earth. It would in fact be most of the pre-flood atmosphere. There would have to be enough vapor to form 9km of liquid, when condensed, and, therefore the vapor would weigh as much as 9km of water. The pressure at the earth's surface, where Noah and family lived, would be equal to one atmosphere PLUS the weight of a 9km column of water of unit area. This is equivalent to the pressure 9km deep in the ocean. What is this pressure? Well, each 10m of water is roughly equivalent to one atmosphere, so the pressure would be 900 atmospheres. The atmosphere would also have a composition of about 900 parts water vapor to one part of what we call air today.

How could an atmosphere almost 100% water vapor not condense? The temperature would have to be raised to the point where the partial pressure of water equals 900 atmospheres, i.e. the boiling point at that pressure. So we find Noah et al. living in a 13,000psi boiler. Is this credible?"

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Dale 151,083
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 37 min Ali the great one 1,204
I am Wiki Hillbilly 50 min Wiki Hillbilly 3
House for rent Nolansburg / Totz Area 2 hr nice guy 2
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 7 hr Reality 16,145
fight at walmart 11 hr Taters friend 17
Cheyanne gailey (Sep '13) 14 hr looking 2
Luttrell arrested again 22 hr johnnyjumpup1 34
concerned person of harlan Wed Loser 3
•••
•••
Harlan Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harlan Jobs

•••