Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,874

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#92305 Dec 7, 2012
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you're the one suffocating in your ignorance, and sin!
God forgives, and heals homosexuality... just ask!
Amen!
Funny. Seems yet again the typical Christian judges everyone else based on their perceived actions - yet judges himself based on his "intentions".

Simultaneously, He ignores the humorous fact that if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#92306 Dec 7, 2012
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong!
Prove it.

(Hint: you can't)
Hmmm

Grafton, OH

#92307 Dec 7, 2012
I am probably more educated than you in my little tent. I know that scientist believe that humans and apes come from a common ancestor. Well if your asking what Christians believe then that's is God created man and gave us the intelligence to improve our lives. Scientist "believe" there theory to be true and so do Christians. So really it is up to the individual on which they want to believe.
ananta boga

Winchester, KY

#92308 Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>I am probably more educated than you in my little tent.
Sure you are. That is why you're on here and not out milking your herd of goats.
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>I know that scientist believe that humans and apes come from a common ancestor. Well if your asking what Christians believe then that's is God created man and gave us the intelligence to improve our lives.
improvement only comes with change. evolution is a result of change. kind of like apes and humans came from the same god? Try imagining that.

Ecclesiastes 3:18
I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Scientist "believe" there theory to be true and so do Christians. So really it is up to the individual on which they want to believe.
true, the sin of ignorance is a choice. It's not what you know that kills. it's what you don't know.

the bible doesn't teach that god is a man. that is a christian foible.
Hmmm

Ashland, OH

#92309 Dec 7, 2012
ananta boga wrote:
<quoted text>Sure you are. That is why you're on here and not out milking your herd of goats.
<quoted text>improvement only comes with change. evolution is a result of change. kind of like apes and humans came from the same god? Try imagining that.
Ecclesiastes 3:18
I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
<quoted text>true, the sin of ignorance is a choice. It's not what you know that kills. it's what you don't know.
the bible doesn't teach that god is a man. that is a christian foible.
Listen if your not mature enough to have a conversation without insulting then I think we r done. I'm not going to stoop so low as to name calling. I also did not say anything about God being a man, I said he created man. You have a nice day.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#92310 Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
There must have been only a chosen few of the monkeys to evolve , cause as you see we still have them. And no signs of evolving since. Must of been a special breed of monkeys
Man did not Evolve From a Monkey.. That has never been a concept of evolution... That is a concept started by religious people that had no idea what the theory scientifically speaks of.... Humans have been Humans for Millions of years... Even when they were small little hairy critters they were Human.... And today Humans are different than they were 100 years ago on average... Monkeys, Ape, Lemurs and all other animals and plants are different than they were a million years ago...

London, KY

#92311 Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
I am probably more educated than you in my little tent. I know that scientist believe that humans and apes come from a common ancestor. Well if your asking what Christians believe then that's is God created man and gave us the intelligence to improve our lives. Scientist "believe" there theory to be true and so do Christians. So really it is up to the individual on which they want to believe.
Scientist do not Believe... A Scientist has a theory based on testable, repeatable, verifiable evidence.... and if at any point New Evidence contradicts and provides better theory, A scientist changes the theory to fit the evidence.... When a scientist starts "Believing" he stops being a scientist and his view become religious in nature... Like Man Made Global Warming "Scientist"...
Hmmm

Columbus, OH

#92312 Dec 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientist do not Believe... A Scientist has a theory based on testable, repeatable, verifiable evidence.... and if at any point New Evidence contradicts and provides better theory, A scientist changes the theory to fit the evidence.... When a scientist starts "Believing" he stops being a scientist and his view become religious in nature... Like Man Made Global Warming "Scientist"...
Believe means to think that something is true but I will rephrase my sentence scientist thinks their theory to be true.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#92313 Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
Scientists advance theories based on testable evidence that remain uncertain until they are proven or disproved. Christians don't have theories - they have faith, belief, theology, mythology, philosophy, tenets, dogmas - whatever flavor you like, but those are no more theories than a pocket full of posies stops plague or breaking a mirror brings 7 years of bad luck.
brinsop

Winchester, KY

#92314 Dec 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
science, like all cultures, try to enculturate their members with a unique lingo. Western institutionalized science is no different.

It's like a subgroup within a group.

Kind of like ebonics, or the secret handshake of masonics.

Scientist are humans. Humans have beliefs that they incorporate over their lifetimes.

Scientist mar their research with their own biases and only over time when we begin to question those beliefs do we come to a new realization.

einstein noted this with his comment regarding schrodinger's thought paradox.

You are the only contemporary physicist, besides Laue, who sees that one cannot get around the assumption of reality, if only one is honest. Most of them simply do not see what sort of risky game they are playing with reality—reality as something independent of what is experimentally established. Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gunpowder + cat in a box, in which the psi-function of the system contains both the cat alive and blown to bits. Nobody really doubts that the presence or absence of the cat is something independent of the act of observation.

einstein

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/687649...
shen lung

Winchester, KY

#92315 Dec 7, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Scientists advance theories based on testable evidence that remain uncertain until they are proven or disproved. Christians don't have theories - they have faith, belief, theology, mythology, philosophy, tenets, dogmas - whatever flavor you like, but those are no more theories than a pocket full of posies stops plague or breaking a mirror brings 7 years of bad luck.
this is a better explanation with the use of uncertain en lieu of ABSOLUTE knowledge
hmmm?

Vine Grove, KY

#92316 Dec 7, 2012
I think it's a bad idea, How do you make it's ancient stories appealing to modern-day teens who would sooner play video games than read the Scriptures? Also there are more then just one religion we live in the United States people! We have mixed groups of all cultures, and with those cultures there are different religion. That includes Stannic belief. So you just cannot put just one class about the bible you have to include all religious belief's, because if the schools don't other parents will complain about how there religion or belief's aren't taught in schools and it shouldn't be up to the schools to teach YOUR kids about religion! That's why there are churches. And you, yourself as a parent should be the one teaching your kids about the religion you believe in, it makes it less stressful an easier for all. And there are schools that are just based on Christianity. Therefore it's a bad idea all around.
Spaceship earth_ss

El Dorado Hills, CA

#92317 Dec 7, 2012
Jehovah's Witness Jumps To Death In Brooklyn

"A Jehovah's Witness jumped to his death from a Brooklyn rooftop yesterday. According to police, Dwayne Fagan, 48"

According to the Cult Awareness And Information Center and other reports, Jehovah's Witnesses commit suicide at a rate far exceeding (5-10 times greater) the general population.

That cult uses GUILT GALORE to keep everyone under VERY strict control, and perhaps he couldn't take it anymore.

London, KY

#92318 Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe means to think that something is true but I will rephrase my sentence scientist thinks their theory to be true.
To Believe something is true is a religious concept when such belief is formed with out evidence... It's an Emotional construct... In Science it's a term only used as a generalization... Never as a statement of fact... A Scientist Knows, he Thinks he Knows or he does Not Know... based solely on Evidence...

So Yes Most Scientist Think the theory of Evolution is True because so far in the millions of individual pieces of evidence collected, tested, verified have yet to show a better, more complete theory. There is Evidence that places some of the theory in question and that is why it's called a theory.... But a Real Scientist will give any evidence, even evidence that might be in complete conflict with their existing paradigm theory, consideration and change their theory if the evidence fulfills the requirement of being testable, verifiable and repeatable..... If they Stick to their theory when Evidence is presented that is testable, verifiable and repeatable they cease to be Scientist and become Preachers....
kalseru

Winchester, KY

#92319 Dec 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
To Believe something is true is a religious concept when such belief is formed with out evidence... It's an Emotional construct... In Science it's a term only used as a generalization... Never as a statement of fact... A Scientist Knows, he Thinks he Knows or he does Not Know... based solely on Evidence...
So Yes Most Scientist Think the theory of Evolution is True because so far in the millions of individual pieces of evidence collected, tested, verified have yet to show a better, more complete theory. There is Evidence that places some of the theory in question and that is why it's called a theory.... But a Real Scientist will give any evidence, even evidence that might be in complete conflict with their existing paradigm theory, consideration and change their theory if the evidence fulfills the requirement of being testable, verifiable and repeatable..... If they Stick to their theory when Evidence is presented that is testable, verifiable and repeatable they cease to be Scientist and become Preachers....
i'm not speaking specifically of evolution. i don't have a problem with evolution.

I'm speaking solely on the idea of bias based on human experience. that isn't a fault anymore than it is an attribute because without experience it's all supposition but because of the experiential conditioning it delimits the ability to think outside the box.

once we think outside the box then break threws are realized. it doesn't matter if you are a western institutionalized scientist or a person of knowledge. it can be described innumerable ways.

it works this way for everyone. questioning our beliefs and the way we describe them based on culture and language can be beneficial if you are a member inside that culture and know the lingo, it can be an adverse and even detrimental if you are a sentient being outside that culture and/or language.

language can be a barrier to those who don't speak it. the culture of one sub group can be a barrier to another being not a member of that culture.

that is the basic difference. it's called tautology. what may be expressed symbolically, metaphorically, and figuratively in one culture might be expressed literally in a different way in another.
drachenstein

Winchester, KY

#92320 Dec 7, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
there is a chinese proverb that goes something like this.

words are necessary when one doesn't understand but once the words have conveyed the idea they represent then words are no longer necessary.

the logos is everything in buddhism akasa. known by others as the akashic
Hmmm

Akron, OH

#92321 Dec 7, 2012
A theory is a theory because it is subject to change it is not a fact. They say that Christians force there beliefs on everyone but are considered ignorant if the do not believe in every scientific theory. If Christians are wrong about God then what does it matter, but what if they are not?

London, KY

#92322 Dec 7, 2012
kalseru wrote:
<quoted text>i'm not speaking specifically of evolution. i don't have a problem with evolution.
I'm speaking solely on the idea of bias based on human experience. that isn't a fault anymore than it is an attribute because without experience it's all supposition but because of the experiential conditioning it delimits the ability to think outside the box.
once we think outside the box then break threws are realized. it doesn't matter if you are a western institutionalized scientist or a person of knowledge. it can be described innumerable ways.
it works this way for everyone. questioning our beliefs and the way we describe them based on culture and language can be beneficial if you are a member inside that culture and know the lingo, it can be an adverse and even detrimental if you are a sentient being outside that culture and/or language.
language can be a barrier to those who don't speak it. the culture of one sub group can be a barrier to another being not a member of that culture.
that is the basic difference. it's called tautology. what may be expressed symbolically, metaphorically, and figuratively in one culture might be expressed literally in a different way in another.
And is why Science, True Science, does not give a rats ass about tautology.... It does not consider cultural gobbledygook... A piece of Testable, Verifiable, Reproducible Evidence stands in the face of cultural preconceptions and Belief.... There might be assorted metaphors, conceptual symbolism and other flowery words of explanation but Evidence crosses all cultural road blocks in Science... Once evidence is disregarded Only because of dogma and preconception science ends and religion begins....

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#92323 Dec 7, 2012
Video of two Jehovah's Witness Elders announcing a Wrongdoer that he is Disfellowshipped.

Excommunication or Disfellowshipping is an extreme form of shunning practised by Jehovah’s Witnesses. A disfellowshipped person is not to be greeted either socially or at meetings and is often shunned by family members. Jehovah’s Witnesses regard Disfellowshipping as a biblically-sanctioned means of bringing the wrongdoer back into the congregation and protecting other Witnesses against evil.

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/p...

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#92324 Dec 7, 2012
Jehovah's Witness Elders LIE and Call Police!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the weekend and that means one thing 1 hr OpanaMANa 1
Possum holler drug dealers at dayhoit 1 hr OpanaMANa 8
chris gray 3 hr Lookouteastbrook 2
Appalachian challenge academy 7 hr guest 2
pictures 9 hr wanting some 4
Which is worse? 11 hr just looking 1
wedding caters and chair rentals (Oct '11) 13 hr Pavlos Lombardi 4
Harlan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web