Frankfort, KY

#22 Aug 20, 2012
who's doin who, name some names.
irrelavant

Richmond, KY

#23 Aug 20, 2012
perv wrote:
who's doin who, name some names.
drama much? why you have to know anyways?
yepr

United States

#24 Aug 20, 2012
concern wrote:
It has when down hill seen Vestie left.susan ball and her sister carol sure don't no how to run it .Larry should of be over it.
Larry could run it just fine. Why did Vestie leave?
Larry Jones

Harlan, KY

#25 Aug 21, 2012
My name is Larry Jones. I have worked for Druthers/DQ for almost 30 years. It has been a great honor to serve the people of Harlan County whom I feel are the greatest people in the entire world.

I don't ordinarily read Harlan County topix, but I heard a lot of negative things were being said about our people and our store. I felt it necessary to lay down the truth.

Some of you have enquired about Vestie Carrol. She ran the Harlan Druthers/DQ from summer of 1985 through November of last year. She was a great GM and I love her like a sister. She began having health problems most of which were stress related and felt it necessary to retire.

She now spends her time with her family which include 9 beautiful grand kids. She is truly enjoying her life and I am happy for her.

Some people said they thought I should have been offered the job of GM. It was offered to me, and I turned it down in favor of Susan Ball. I felt she was what our store needed for 2 reasons.

#1. She is a tireless worker with an energy level which is contagious to everyone. People tend to become better around her.

#2. She's worked at DQ since 1993. She can do every thing in the store, and deserved this opportunity. She has proven to be even better than what I had expected her to be. The store stays well organized, well scheduled, clean, and our employees generally love working for her.

There is no GM in any restaurant more dedicated than Susan, and no one I would rather work for. She has a passion to provide the best possible place to eat for the people of the community and cares deeply for her customers. I hope Susan and I can spend the rest of our careers working together.

Susan's sister Carol is one of our finest managers. Like Susan, she is an outstanding worker who's energy affects the people around her in a positive way. Carol was not promoted by Susan. Our area supervisor, chose her. He is Susan's boss, so it is not true that she is trying to give all her family managers jobs. Also, Carol is one of the best people I know. She is honest, and works extremely hard.

Angie is another one of Susan's sisters. Who works with us. She worked with me on nightshift about 12 years ago. At the time, she was the best worker I had on my crew. Now she is in charge of our cake program. She does an awesome job. I don't have to brag, just come in and look at our cake cooler. Her work speaks for its self.

Wesley Witt is Susan's cousin. It was MY idea to promote Wesley to manager. Wes is an amazing worker, and is one of the finest young men I have ever known. He has a great career ahead of him if he so chooses. I have never met a young person with more potential in the business.

Wesley's younger brother Tim works with me on nightshift. He is an excellent worker with a great attitude. His work is fast and accurate. The more I work with her family, the more I'm convinced they may be the hardest working family on earth.

Some comments have been made about the personal lives of our employee's. I know for a fact that most of what has been said are lies. However, what people do in their personal lives is none of my business or anyone else's.

I can say in all honesty, this is one of THE BEST crews I have ever worked with. They are my second family and I love them which is why I felt I needed to defend them and lay out the truth.

I'm closing, but let me say if anyone has any real questions or concerns about our business I would be happy to answer. Thank you for taking time to read this.

PS.. Whoever 'Amanda' at Wallins is.. I'm praying for you, you really need it.

-Larry Jones
blizzard lover

Harlan, KY

#26 Aug 21, 2012
Well said Larry! You are a great person. God Bless you!
GLADYS

Harlan, KY

#28 Aug 24, 2012
HELLO ALL,
MY NAME IS GLADYS. I LIVE IN TN. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO THIS DAIRYQUEEN BEFORE, BUT I THINK I WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT OUT. THE YOUNG MAN ABOVE REALLY DESCRIBES THIS BUSINESS AS A PLACE I WOULD WANT TO TAKE MY FAMILY TO. AND THE LADY WHO RUNS IT NOW 'GM' I ASSUME THAT MEANS GREAT MANAGER. SOUNDS LIKE SHE HAS BEEN DOING A VERY GOOD JOB INDEED. PERHAPS BETTER THAN THE OTHER LADY WITH THE STRANGE NAME WHO DID IT BEFORE HER.'ACCORDING TO SOME OF THE COMMENTS' FORGIVE ME IF I AM WRONG. ONLY SPECULATING DEAR. THE RAMBLER MAN THERE SAYS HE LIKES THE CHICKEN DINNER. IT IS GOOD, DELICIOUS ACTUALLY. HOWEVER, I LIKE THE CHILLI DOGS WITH ONION. EVEN THOUGH ONIONS AND CHILLI BLOW UP MY TUMMY LIKE I'M READY TO DROP TWINS. IT IS HARD PASS UP. AND THE BLIZZARDS ARE JUST DELIGHTFUL. I DON'T LIKE THEIR FISH THOUGH.
haha

Ardsley, NY

#29 Aug 24, 2012
GLADYS wrote:
HELLO ALL,
MY NAME IS GLADYS. I LIVE IN TN. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO THIS DAIRYQUEEN BEFORE, BUT I THINK I WOULD LIKE TO TRY IT OUT. THE YOUNG MAN ABOVE REALLY DESCRIBES THIS BUSINESS AS A PLACE I WOULD WANT TO TAKE MY FAMILY TO. AND THE LADY WHO RUNS IT NOW 'GM' I ASSUME THAT MEANS GREAT MANAGER. SOUNDS LIKE SHE HAS BEEN DOING A VERY GOOD JOB INDEED. PERHAPS BETTER THAN THE OTHER LADY WITH THE STRANGE NAME WHO DID IT BEFORE HER.'ACCORDING TO SOME OF THE COMMENTS' FORGIVE ME IF I AM WRONG. ONLY SPECULATING DEAR. THE RAMBLER MAN THERE SAYS HE LIKES THE CHICKEN DINNER. IT IS GOOD, DELICIOUS ACTUALLY. HOWEVER, I LIKE THE CHILLI DOGS WITH ONION. EVEN THOUGH ONIONS AND CHILLI BLOW UP MY TUMMY LIKE I'M READY TO DROP TWINS. IT IS HARD PASS UP. AND THE BLIZZARDS ARE JUST DELIGHTFUL. I DON'T LIKE THEIR FISH THOUGH.
The young man that wrote the big paragraph forgot to state that the GM (General Manager) is married to his wife's brother!
Travis Harrison

Harlan, KY

#30 Aug 24, 2012
Larry Jones wrote:
My name is Larry Jones. I have worked for Druthers/DQ for almost 30 years. It has been a great honor to serve the people of Harlan County whom I feel are the greatest people in the entire world.
I don't ordinarily read Harlan County topix, but I heard a lot of negative things were being said about our people and our store. I felt it necessary to lay down the truth.
Some of you have enquired about Vestie Carrol. She ran the Harlan Druthers/DQ from summer of 1985 through November of last year. She was a great GM and I love her like a sister. She began having health problems most of which were stress related and felt it necessary to retire.
She now spends her time with her family which include 9 beautiful grand kids. She is truly enjoying her life and I am happy for her.
Some people said they thought I should have been offered the job of GM. It was offered to me, and I turned it down in favor of Susan Ball. I felt she was what our store needed for 2 reasons.
#1. She is a tireless worker with an energy level which is contagious to everyone. People tend to become better around her.
#2. She's worked at DQ since 1993. She can do every thing in the store, and deserved this opportunity. She has proven to be even better than what I had expected her to be. The store stays well organized, well scheduled, clean, and our employees generally love working for her.
There is no GM in any restaurant more dedicated than Susan, and no one I would rather work for. She has a passion to provide the best possible place to eat for the people of the community and cares deeply for her customers. I hope Susan and I can spend the rest of our careers working together.
Susan's sister Carol is one of our finest managers. Like Susan, she is an outstanding worker who's energy affects the people around her in a positive way. Carol was not promoted by Susan. Our area supervisor, chose her. He is Susan's boss, so it is not true that she is trying to give all her family managers jobs. Also, Carol is one of the best people I know. She is honest, and works extremely hard.
Angie is another one of Susan's sisters. Who works with us. She worked with me on nightshift about 12 years ago. At the time, she was the best worker I had on my crew. Now she is in charge of our cake program. She does an awesome job. I don't have to brag, just come in and look at our cake cooler. Her work speaks for its self.
Wesley Witt is Susan's cousin. It was MY idea to promote Wesley to manager. Wes is an amazing worker, and is one of the finest young men I have ever known. He has a great career ahead of him if he so chooses. I have never met a young person with more potential in the business.
Wesley's younger brother Tim works with me on nightshift. He is an excellent worker with a great attitude. His work is fast and accurate. The more I work with her family, the more I'm convinced they may be the hardest working family on earth.
Some comments have been made about the personal lives of our employee's. I know for a fact that most of what has been said are lies. However, what people do in their personal lives is none of my business or anyone else's.
I can say in all honesty, this is one of THE BEST crews I have ever worked with. They are my second family and I love them which is why I felt I needed to defend them and lay out the truth.
I'm closing, but let me say if anyone has any real questions or concerns about our business I would be happy to answer. Thank you for taking time to read this.
PS.. Whoever 'Amanda' at Wallins is.. I'm praying for you, you really need it.
-Larry Jones
Well said Larry and go vols..;)
Funny Girl.!!!

London, KY

#31 Aug 25, 2012
This woman Gladys .Nice job sue did not no your name Gladys .this is funny
none of ur business

Harlan, KY

#32 Aug 25, 2012
It has went down hill me and my mom eats there and everytime they forget something or mess it up I hate that place
love me some dairy queen

Lebanon, KY

#33 Aug 25, 2012
none of ur business wrote:
It has went down hill me and my mom eats there and everytime they forget something or mess it up I hate that place
every place will mess up an order. and if you dont like it then dont eat there. they get plenty of buisness, and trust me hun they dont HAVE to have YOURS! they have loyal coustmers that come in everyday, they dont even have to tell them there orders, the workers already know what they get. all the workers are nice, and if they do mess up, and leave something out, they always apologize, and fix it.
ladies_man

Lebanon, KY

#34 Aug 25, 2012
I think the workers there are really nice, theyre friendly and will joke around with you. alot of them are pretty young ladies that deserve respect, and dont need people on here saying that there lesbians, and askin who they are, and crap. there none of your business.
Carol Turner

Baxter, KY

#35 Aug 25, 2012
That young man Jake (don't know his last name) who is a waiter (about 6 foot2 blonde hair) is adorable. I would take him home and keep that one.
girl

Lebanon, KY

#36 Aug 28, 2012
jakes a nice guy<3 he's the sweetest!
been there

Winchester, KY

#37 Sep 2, 2012
I used to work there and Sue is almost as hard a worker as me... just kidding Sue! Seriously, she is a great worker and I miss her, Larry and Verla...wonderful people.Even if things were not always fair in the past, they are in the past. Leave them there. As for the business I am sure it is booming, cars out to the road in drive-thru.
big DQ

London, KY

#38 Sep 2, 2012
Has good mood food!oh wait that's Arbys
Big Momo

London, KY

#39 Sep 3, 2012
Great letter Larry, I have always liked DQ good food, good service, wish they would bring back the salad bar..Best coffee in Harlan co..
random

Macon, GA

#40 Sep 3, 2012
Why do people complain but yet still go? For real why?
Weebow

United States

#41 Sep 3, 2012
i have worked at dairy queen for years and to be honest I wouldn't want to work for any where else. And all the changes have been difficult but for the better! I love working for Susan Ball she is a very hard worker and over the years I've learned alot from her. I am the worker I am today because of that woman. She has a positive out look on everything and it makes me wanna go to work I feel at home there. Susan brings out the best in every one including me she always challenged me. And I thank her for that because I'm always thinking how would Susan handle or go about this situation.
And for the people talking about our personal lifes fuck off if it was any of your business then you would be a part of it not sitting at home on the damn computer wishing you had a role in our lifes. If you guys would get your own life this site wouldn't be all drama but all in all at the end of the day ....
HATERS MAKES US FAMOUS!!!!!
sorry pieces of shit I bet none of u work to make your way so go twiddle your thumbs and stay outta ppls lifes
chris

United States

#42 Sep 6, 2012
I worked there and its went down fast and the other sister Angie is also a crack head. so they need drug free restaurants in harlan but they don't si carol, Sue and Angie can have it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min Pres Donald J Tru... 164,856
Is Lonnie Thomas happy? 29 min blindpeople 10
Harley Thompson 5 hr The Shadow Knows 1
looking for work in hvac or plumbing 5 hr dbl2389 1
misty williams (Dec '10) 6 hr Ick 13
Ron Johnson (Mar '09) 8 hr truth 13
To my wanna be wife Addie Davenport 11 hr Mikey 1

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages