Posted in the Harlan Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“"South of Southern”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 1, 2013
The Kentucky General Assembly once again has the opportunity to undo a wrong that has gone on far too long at the expense of eastern Kentucky residents.

Now, more than ever it is time for the legislative leaders to push forward with a bill sponsored by Rep. Fitz Steele, D-Hazard, to return all coal severance tax dollars back to the counties that produce the coal and pay the taxes.

Floyd County Judge-Executive R.D.“Doc” Marshall indicated in a story published earlier this week that he expects the outcome of the bill to be of the same unfavorable fate as those filed by previous legislators in years past.

Sadly, for the counties producing the coal and paying the tax, the need to return the money back to the coalfields is at a critical point now as many are financially strapped due to the decline of the industry over the past four years.

The money needs to be returned with strong “encouragement” that it be used to continue to develop infrastructure that fuels diversification of the local economy. Our economy’s dependence on coal clearly seems to be outliving the region’s life expectancy due to various factors, especially at the federal level of our government.

The money clearly is running out and our cities, counties and other entities are finding it difficult to survive. Already, layoffs, cuts in services and elimination of various projects have been a result of the loss of coal severance dollars. Current needs cannot be met due to dwindling funds from the state and federal governments.

We have previously commended area councils and other entities for being proactive and preparing for this downward spiral of funding. The coal tax dollars have been our lifeblood to date.

As a region, we can only hope that our legislative leaders take Rep. Steele’s bill seriously.

Yes, we agree with Judge-Executive Marshall,“If we produce it, we ought to get to keep it.” However, we also know the fight won’t be an easy one as the legislators from other regions of the state don’t want to give up the state’s share of the funds because it may set their agendas back some in their own communities.

The failure for the legislature to take this seriously will only prove more detrimental to not only our region, but to our state as a whole because more and more people are going to be forced to be dependent on assistance programs because they can’t find jobs.

Our region has been forgotten far too long.

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Steele’s bill could be answer to ‘prayer’ for coalfields

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#2 Feb 1, 2013
You idiots that want to see coal mining brought to a halt need learn just how vital coal is for the survival of ALL of Eastern Ky. NOTHING public or private will last long around this region without the revenue and income coal provides.

Still tired of hearing about coal?

You better get a VOICE to support coal and shout it at the top of your lungs!
Seriously

Manchester, KY

#3 Feb 1, 2013
You don't actually think this bill has a chance, do you? NO WAY it passes anywhere but straight to the landfill. What the hell is wrong with you, man? Drink too much mine water? Breathe too much coal dust? Whatever it is, you are seriously the most cognitively challenged person I've met, and I've never even met you lol. You're one of these people who think we should topple every mountain, pollute every waterway, smog up all the air, and destroy everything around us for the sake of a damn dollar that's overdue to collapse anyway. Why don't you pick up smoking underground, you maroon? I hope you haven't reproduced, the world has enough people who lack foresight, which is why we're in this mess to begin with. The stuff you talk about should've been done 50 or 60 years ago, man. A little late aren't you? It wasn't done then and it won't be done now, coal is going the way of the telegraph, and the price of other energy sources continues to drop for consumers; DEAL WITH IT! Nobody with half a brain supports coal, not even in this divided county!
Jamie

London, KY

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Seriously wrote:
You don't actually think this bill has a chance, do you? NO WAY it passes anywhere but straight to the landfill. What the hell is wrong with you, man? Drink too much mine water? Breathe too much coal dust? Whatever it is, you are seriously the most cognitively challenged person I've met, and I've never even met you lol. You're one of these people who think we should topple every mountain, pollute every waterway, smog up all the air, and destroy everything around us for the sake of a damn dollar that's overdue to collapse anyway. Why don't you pick up smoking underground, you maroon? I hope you haven't reproduced, the world has enough people who lack foresight, which is why we're in this mess to begin with. The stuff you talk about should've been done 50 or 60 years ago, man. A little late aren't you? It wasn't done then and it won't be done now, coal is going the way of the telegraph, and the price of other energy sources continues to drop for consumers; DEAL WITH IT! Nobody with half a brain supports coal, not even in this divided county!
Rawtruth is just another 1 of Jimmy Rants alter egos or one of his flunkies. Either way the guy has no brain activity to speak of.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#5 Feb 2, 2013
Jamie wrote:
<quoted text>Rawtruth is just another 1 of Jimmy Rants alter egos or one of his flunkies. Either way the guy has no brain activity to speak of.
You sure seem to enjoy reading EVERYTHING I post.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#6 Feb 2, 2013
Seriously wrote:
I dont know if I should respond to you or not. Because you have a real SERIOUS problem with understanding the context of a thread.

What I posted was written in a newspaper. And my post was NOT about weather the bill is right, wrong, has a chance of passing or does not. That was not the point I was driving at, at all goofy.

So please allow me to try to explain this so that even the feeble minded like you can understand it.

What I was getting at is...... That without the money from coal, all of eastern KY will suffer. I was pointing out how important the revenue from coal is to our economy. Now do you understand stupid?
billy bob

Brodhead, KY

#7 Feb 2, 2013
Seriously wrote:
You don't actually think this bill has a chance, do you? NO WAY it passes anywhere but straight to the landfill. What the hell is wrong with you, man? Drink too much mine water? Breathe too much coal dust? Whatever it is, you are seriously the most cognitively challenged person I've met, and I've never even met you lol. You're one of these people who think we should topple every mountain, pollute every waterway, smog up all the air, and destroy everything around us for the sake of a damn dollar that's overdue to collapse anyway. Why don't you pick up smoking underground, you maroon? I hope you haven't reproduced, the world has enough people who lack foresight, which is why we're in this mess to begin with. The stuff you talk about should've been done 50 or 60 years ago, man. A little late aren't you? It wasn't done then and it won't be done now, coal is going the way of the telegraph, and the price of other energy sources continues to drop for consumers; DEAL WITH IT! Nobody with half a brain ysupports coal, not even in this divided county!
You can't even spell moron right dumb a**!maroon is a color,you're about as bright as a burnt out light bulb,hope you freeze your a** off in the dark.
Seriously

London, KY

#8 Feb 2, 2013
billy bob wrote:
<quoted text>You can't even spell moron right dumb a**!maroon is a color,you're about as bright as a burnt out light bulb,hope you freeze your a** off in the dark.
You never watched bugs bunny? WTH? Why would I freeze my ass off in the dark? Even if all the coal mines idled, I would still be toasty warm and able to see. It's called FIRE you dumb, coal loving sh!t.
Seriously

London, KY

#9 Feb 2, 2013
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont know if I should respond to you or not. Because you have a real SERIOUS problem with understanding the context of a thread.
What I posted was written in a newspaper. And my post was NOT about weather the bill is right, wrong, has a chance of passing or does not. That was not the point I was driving at, at all goofy.
So please allow me to try to explain this so that even the feeble minded like you can understand it.
What I was getting at is...... That without the money from coal, all of eastern KY will suffer. I was pointing out how important the revenue from coal is to our economy. Now do you understand stupid?
why do you only think about money? That's why this country is in the shape it's in! Coal makes people sick, causes destruction to our environment, roads, waterways. Coal KILLS people, stone cold dead; and you don't have to be a lowly, coal mining, backwards thinker like you to feel the effects. Look at China, they burn 40% more coal than they did 6 years ago and now they can't even breathe. And your worried about getting a few dollars?! People like you are the reason Harlan never will have anything. I realize you're a lost cause, 4 or 5 generations of brainwashing is hard enough to overcome for an independent thinker; so I can see how it's impossible for you. I want to feel sorry for you, but your attitude won't let me. My last words to you would be: go ahead and mine your coal while it lasts, and it WON'T last forever. I'd like to come see you in the nursing home when your body is broken down, you've lost control over your bladder and digestive system, and you have to have a machine force oxygen into your lungs because they are simply too weak and broken to do it naturally. You'll look like this guy one day, and when you do I truly hope you look back fondly on all the dollars you made. "Coal mining our past"

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/231/451584829_8...
billy bob

Brodhead, KY

#10 Feb 2, 2013
I love coal it's black!it burns as good as wood.save the forest!Thats sad you're not a tree hugger,sympathy 4 u.
Cameron from Harlan 6969

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Feb 2, 2013
Well the thought of all those dirty, sweaty coal miners really gets me worked up!

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

Since: Sep 09

In Your Head

#12 Feb 2, 2013
Jamie wrote:
<quoted text>Rawtruth is just another 1 of Jimmy Rants alter egos or one of his flunkies. Either way the guy has no brain activity to speak of.
You're not that bright are you?

Maybe the Lord will help you.

Idiot!

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

In Your Head

#13 Feb 2, 2013
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how hard or simple you try and explain this issue, the fact is, no one gives a damn about coal with exception of those who draw a paycheck from coal.

You do understand that don't you?

You're in a dying industry, and you can't save it.

Coal kills, so why would you want to?

Prepping is your only chance. lol
Jimmy

London, KY

#14 Feb 2, 2013
Jimmy Rants wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how hard or simple you try and explain this issue, the fact is, no one gives a damn about coal with exception of those who draw a paycheck from coal.
Well you and coal have something in common and that is how old you both are.

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

In Your Head

#15 Feb 2, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>Well you and coal have something in common and that is how old you both are.
That's why I am like a diamond in the rough.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#16 Feb 4, 2013
Jimmy Rants wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who draw a paycheck as a direct result of coal production is... JUST ABOUT EVERYONE in Southeastern Ky. You're not from here so you could NEVER understand.

To you an outsider it is easy to say "Kill coal" becuase you do NOT understand just how vital coal is to this area. And you have absolutely NO idea about the coal producing process. You only repeat the lies (And most of the time. it's cut and paste) and scare tactics used by the tree huggers. Your knowledge of coal and the coal producing process is delusional at best.

Coal kills? Where is the proof?

A dying industry? Wait and see!

DO I love coal? NO! Even though I recognize the vital importance of coal. It is NOT my life. I can and will survive and thrive.

“"South of Southern”

Location hidden

#17 Feb 4, 2013
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
why do you only think about money? That's why this country is in the shape it's in! Coal makes people sick, causes destruction to our environment, roads, waterways. Coal KILLS people, stone cold dead; and you don't have to be a lowly, coal mining, backwards thinker like you to feel the effects. Look at China, they burn 40% more coal than they did 6 years ago and now they can't even breathe. And your worried about getting a few dollars?! People like you are the reason Harlan never will have anything. I realize you're a lost cause, 4 or 5 generations of brainwashing is hard enough to overcome for an independent thinker; so I can see how it's impossible for you. I want to feel sorry for you, but your attitude won't let me. My last words to you would be: go ahead and mine your coal while it lasts, and it WON'T last forever. I'd like to come see you in the nursing home when your body is broken down, you've lost control over your bladder and digestive system, and you have to have a machine force oxygen into your lungs because they are simply too weak and broken to do it naturally. You'll look like this guy one day, and when you do I truly hope you look back fondly on all the dollars you made. "Coal mining our past"
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/231/451584829_8...
I can post just many articles that claim that coal is NOT the cause of climate change and other problems blamed on it. In fact I DID! I posted information produced by TWO Nobel prize winners that claimed that the facts about coal, where highly exaggerated and merely scare tactics used by the tree huggers. And guess what? No ONE would accept it. But you're quick to swallow ANY lie produced by Prof. Leaf from Evergreen U! So I ain't going back down that road. It's useless to try to convince people like you who put complete faith in ANY article on the net that is anti-coal will turn around and completely IGNORE facts put forth by Nobel prize winners that support coal. So if you will not even consider what a professor from Harvard (That's where one of them was from) would say how can I convince you? So I am not even going down that road again.

But guess what? Coal is still being mine and has DECADES worth of contracts already signed! HA!

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

In Your Head

#18 Feb 4, 2013
rawtruth wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who draw a paycheck as a direct result of coal production is... JUST ABOUT EVERYONE in Southeastern Ky. You're not from here so you could NEVER understand.
To you an outsider it is easy to say "Kill coal" becuase you do NOT understand just how vital coal is to this area. And you have absolutely NO idea about the coal producing process. You only repeat the lies (And most of the time. it's cut and paste) and scare tactics used by the tree huggers. Your knowledge of coal and the coal producing process is delusional at best.
Coal kills? Where is the proof?
A dying industry? Wait and see!
DO I love coal? NO! Even though I recognize the vital importance of coal. It is NOT my life. I can and will survive and thrive.
Just yes or no will do here. Are you saying that coal does not kill people? Many scientist say coal is nasty, dirty, and is a pollutant, to the air, and to the water, but you say it's okay?

Yes or no?

Like I said, no one outside of the coal industry does not give a damn about coal. I say that not to be anti-coal. I say that because it is true.

I know many of you depend on it, just as a druggie depends on their drugs. It only kills those that deal with it.
coal

Hyden, KY

#19 Feb 4, 2013
is one of the things that makes good water.to much destroys the water to less hurts water.coal was put here to be a filter for the water while it goes to the bed rock its like a charcoal that filters water in a small filter. well coal the big earth filter for our water.good coal bank water nothing beats it. it will chill your teeth in the hottest of summer days.and has a real good earthly taste nothing else can come close to it..

“Use Your Prepper Sense”

In Your Head

#20 Feb 4, 2013
coal wrote:
is one of the things that makes good water.to much destroys the water to less hurts water.coal was put here to be a filter for the water while it goes to the bed rock its like a charcoal that filters water in a small filter. well coal the big earth filter for our water.good coal bank water nothing beats it. it will chill your teeth in the hottest of summer days.and has a real good earthly taste nothing else can come close to it..
But you must consider water pollution from coal includes negative environmental effects from the mining, processing, burning, and waste storage of coal, including acid mine drainage, thermal pollution from coal plants, acid rain, and contamination of groundwater, streams, rivers, from heavy metals, mercury, and other toxins and pollutants found in coal ash, coal sludge, and coal waste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Association (Feb '15) 4 min Dont_You_Dare 1,335
***last post wins*** (May '11) 18 min Weepy 15,719
Explosive game cameras 43 min knowstheFACTS 10
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 1 hr Dont_You_Dare 4,242
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr yabadabado 148,848
the music thread (Jan '12) 3 hr Sharlene45 2,454
Adrienne dav 4 hr Get off drugs 2
Mark Sawaf Harlan Counseling ..arrested 7 hr Inbred 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages