looking

Harlan, KY

#1 Nov 21, 2011
Does anyone know anyone who has any sugar gliders for sale or give away?
Flea Market Al

Macon, GA

#2 Nov 21, 2011
the flea market by Walmart in Corbin Ky has some.. or did recently anyways. :D
Owner

Baxter, KY

#3 Nov 21, 2011
I have two sugar gliders, they are not for sale but if you are wanting to purchase them, I would suggest doing lots of research so you will know what to expect and how to take care of them. They have special diets they have to be on and each Glider has its own personality. My first glider would NOT bond with me and I took him everywhere. He started getting depressed and wouldnt come out nor eat. How I knew this was RESEARCH and I did lots of it. I was with him every waking hour, I stayed up half the night while he was awake to watch him play and let him learn my sent and my voice. Still he did not want to bond with me, as I said before he was beginning the depression stage. So we purchased another one, Very loving boy. Bonded with us instantly. Once we got the other glider my first glider bonded instantly. Don't grab like he was and is the happiest little guy. Its not like having a Dog or Cat, Gliders are like New Borns. Over night trips you can't leave them at home, unless you know somebody that owns Gliders and know how to take care of them, I don't so where we go they go. We have to pack the cage, make sure we got the stuff to make their food incase we run out, food bowls, toys, snacks, carrying pouches, etc. Its a job. Not trying to change your mind just trying to let you know what to expect. Alot of people don't know anything about them just want them cause they are cute, but usually in that case the gliders die. and you can't purchase just one you have to get two. They have to have sombody to play with, snuggle with, eat with, bond with. Very few and I do mean FEW can live by themsleves. But if you've done your research and then they sell them at Corbin Flea Market. And I would definetly suggest two boys (Neutured) or Neutuered boy and girl. They do eat their babies alot of the times and they say its a pretty gross mess to clean up. Wasn't going thru that so we had them neutured. I love my boys and even though its a job to take care of them I do make their food, buy fruit and veggies that they get each night..one night fruit and one night veggies to go with their Speical diet foot that required Honey, baby foot, juices (more that one kind), baby cereal, egg, etc. They're definetly not a cheap animal either. AND they need their exercise. WHen you hold them they WILL poop and pee on you. Just please do your research and if its something that you feel you are ready to take on, good luck. Check out Corbin Flea Market.
Owner

Baxter, KY

#4 Nov 21, 2011
one more thing..they will bite. Not all the time but if they smell food on your finger they will bite and can bring blood. Sometimes they'll bite just to let you know they don't want to be messed with.
Suggestion

Harlan, KY

#5 Nov 21, 2011
The post above me is very informative.
I would like to add this, Sugar Gliders smell. You can clean the cage every day and they will still smell. They claw when they climb on you and often leave a trail of urine where-ever they go.
They are expensive little creatures. A single Glider alone can range in the hundreds and, as the person above me said, they can't live alone. They CAN and WILL die of loneliness, just like pet rats.
Gliders require a large cage for them to climb in,'glide' in -while not being able to escape- and special beds and foods and temperatures. They can't see a regular vet, they must be taken to an exotic.
As well, they are nocturnal creatures and can be very loud.

If you can afford them, and after you've researched them, if you still want them, I would not suggest going to a petshop or a flea market. Animals (not just gliders) in petshops come from mills where they are churned out like plastic toys and will most likely die on you because they are sick. If they don't die, they will probably have socialization problems.
Animals (again, not just gliders) that are sold in those little stands at flea-markets most often come from BYBs (Backyard Breeders) and/or mills and while they might come with papers, they are most likely going to be poorly bred from sick parents with little socialization. You're going to end up with a scared, sick little animal.

Search the internet for reputable breeders. A reputable breeder will not keep a large stock and will most likely require a form to be filled out to buy one.
Owner

Baxter, KY

#6 Nov 22, 2011
I agree with "suggestion".however , I clean my cage once a week, and that means I wash everything in their cage which keeps them from stinking. Males have scent glands but if they are neutered before it develops then the scent gland won't develop this causes then to stink. They will use the bathroom on you and love to be at the highest elevations if that is your head then that's where they'll climb and possibly poop or pea. You can cut their claws which isn't an easy job holding them to cut the claws is a difficult task as they don't like being held and may bite. They usually choose who to bond with no matter what you do. And the cage should be a flight cage and those are quite expensive also.sorry to discourage you, just wanted you to know some of the facts of having an exotic animal. You will have to find a vet none around here see them. And also. Also read up on their crabby teen phase they go in. Please do your research there's just too much to tell, I know I'm leaving stuff out but if you do decide you want too all together cage, two gliders, toys, food, pouches etc will probablyvrun you anywhere from 800 -well over a 1000 dollars. 800 would be a big maybe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min North Mountain 159,358
Justin and Kevin Long from Smith 47 min Hello Lola 4
Add a Word Drop a word (Aug '10) 59 min 2twisted 5,059
The gas station infront of hospital. 1 hr Bigguy 3
Harlan Dragon Football 17 hr Eazy 8
looking for a male pitbull to breed with my female (Sep '10) Sat Jerry 472
Where is Kathryn Zell now Sat Rex 1

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages