Alexander the Great bio gives a human...

Alexander the Great bio gives a human look to a classic conqueror

There are 229 comments on the www.boston.com story from Jan 23, 2011, titled Alexander the Great bio gives a human look to a classic conqueror. In it, www.boston.com reports that:

Though he died more than 2,000 years ago, Alexander the Great remains an irresistible subject for biographers. Every age, it seems, must wrestle with Alexander’s legacy. The outline of his life is filled with bold strokes, epic adventures, blood, violence, and daring. By age 30, he had conquered much of the ancient world, from Greece to the frontiers of India. If Alexander was a tribune of Hellenic culture — Aristotle was his tutor — he was also a bloodthirsty conqueror.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.boston.com.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

“Kingdom of Macedonia”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 23, 2011
Some quotes from the article.....

" It should be remembered that Alexander, technically, was not Greek, but Macedonian. "

"was a wily operator who knew when to be politic and when to deploy punishing force.(He resorted to the latter when several Greek cities rose up against Macedonian hegemony.)"

"Alexander was a master of battlefield tactics, and his hardened Macedonian troops,..."

and,...

http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Macedon-356-3...
Dimitri from Athens

Athens, Greece

#2 Jan 23, 2011
What does the term "technically" mean here?
Dimitri from Athens

Athens, Greece

#3 Jan 23, 2011
Or what was Alexander physically or naturally?
or politicaly?
or ethnically?

Since: Mar 08

I like to screw pichkas!!!

#4 Jan 23, 2011
Big f@cking deal! 99.9% of international academia knows the truth! You clowns are living in a fantasy world!
eli

Markham, Canada

#5 Jan 23, 2011
technically???? now this is something to dissect.

The speech of Alexander I, when he was admitted to the Olympic games "Men of Athens...
Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..

TECHNICALLY.

A NEW FRUIT ON THE BLOCK.
Achill

Terrebonne, Canada

#6 Jan 23, 2011
goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#7 Jan 23, 2011
eli wrote:
technically???? now this is something to dissect.
The speech of Alexander I, when he was admitted to the Olympic games "Men of Athens...
Had I not greatly at heart the common welfare of Hellas I should not have come to tell you; but I am myself Hellene by descent, and I would not willingly see Hellas exchange freedom for slavery..
TECHNICALLY.
A NEW FRUIT ON THE BLOCK.
Hm..interesting..why Alexandar had to said that??I mean according to today's greeks..everybody in ancient times knew that Macedonians are greeks "that is fact".use to say modern greeks...but now..hm what is this..According to this type..somebody had doubt about greekness.of Macedonians. in that time.that is only logical explanation to this event..
eli

Markham, Canada

#8 Jan 23, 2011
goran from MACEDONIA wrote:
<quoted text>Hm..interesting..why Alexandar had to said that??I mean according to today's greeks..everybody in ancient times knew that Macedonians are greeks "that is fact".use to say modern greeks...but now..hm what is this..According to this type..somebody had doubt about greekness.of Macedonians. in that time.that is only logical explanation to this event..
We do like to hear about your Bulgarski historijia, the Greek History we already know, so does the rest of the world.
BTW LEARN TO WRITE ALEXADROS, AND NOT ALAKSANDAR, ALAXANDAR, he was not a slav you know.....
eli

Markham, Canada

#9 Jan 23, 2011
hey goran,

how is the weather down under???
Mr Natural

Australia

#10 Jan 23, 2011
Alexander the Great

Ulrich Wilcken

Presents the distinguished scholar's classic biography of the GREEK CONQUERER, supplemented by detailed textual notes

"And yet, when we take into account the political conditions, religion and morals of the ancient Macedonians, our conviction is strengthened THAT THEY WHERE A GREEK RACE AKIN TO THE DORIANS."

http://books.google.com.au/books...

Alexander the Great: the invisible enemy : a biography

By John Maxwell O'Brien

"Despite the fact that MACEDONIANS WERE OF GREEK STOCK..."

Mr Natural

Australia

#11 Jan 23, 2011
Alexander the Great, Volume 0
By Richard Stoneman

"In favour of the Greek identity of the Macedonians is what we know of their language: the place names, names of the months and many of the personal names, especially royal names, which were Greek in roots and form. This suggests that they did not merely use Greek as a lingua franca, BUT SPOKE IT AS NATIVES with a local accent."
Mr Natural

Australia

#12 Jan 23, 2011
Alexander the Great: World Conqueror
By Michael Burgan

"THE MACEDONIAN ROYAL FAMILY CONSIDERED ITSELF TO BE GREEK"
Mr Natural

Australia

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Alexander the Great: World Conqueror
By Michael Burgan

MAP: Ancient Greece around 400B.C.

Mr Natural

Australia

#14 Jan 23, 2011
Alexander the Great: Ancient King & Conqueror
By Katie Marsico

MAP: Ancient Greek areas

Alexander hailed from Macedonia. The kingdom combined with Greek city-states to form the ANCIENT GREEK EMPIRE...

"Alexanders ferociuos appetite for world domination..... Whereas he ENRICHED GREECE AND ADDED TO IT'S GLORY..."
Phillipos

Laconia, NH

#15 Jan 23, 2011
Its so useless debating with these slav gypsies. How did the world defeat the nazis not with diplomacy but with force. U cant reason with these communist filth. Same with the nazi germans, they were brainwashed.
goran from MACEDONIA

Skopje, Macedonia

#16 Jan 23, 2011
eli wrote:
<quoted text>
We do like to hear about your Bulgarski historijia, the Greek History we already know, so does the rest of the world.
BTW LEARN TO WRITE ALEXADROS, AND NOT ALAKSANDAR, ALAXANDAR, he was not a slav you know.....
Yes, you do not like to hear..that is your biggest problem..northen greeks..
eli

Markham, Canada

#17 Jan 23, 2011
<quoted text>Yes, you do not like to hear..that is your biggest problem..northen greeks..
But we already know our Greek History. Teach us yours the Bulgarian History Goran. All I know, your ancestors came from the steppes of Asia. Tell us more.

You have summer full blast down under.

“Makedonia is Hellenic”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#18 Jan 23, 2011
ALEXANDER an HELLENIC GOD he was no MAKEDONSKI

“NAME NOT NEGOTIABLE!!!!”

Since: May 10

MACEDONIA THEREFORE ELLAS!!

#19 Jan 23, 2011
interesting this Hellenic League ?
Sun_Burst wrote:
Some quotes from the article.....
" It should be remembered that Alexander, technically, was not Greek, but Macedonian. "
"was a wily operator who knew when to be politic and when to deploy punishing force.(He resorted to the latter when several Greek cities rose up against Macedonian hegemony.)"
"Alexander was a master of battlefield tactics, and his hardened Macedonian troops,..."
and,...
http://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Macedon-356-3...

Since: May 09

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jan 23, 2011
<quoted text>Hm..interesting..why Alexandar had to said that??I mean according to today's greeks..everybody in ancient times knew that Macedonians are greeks "that is fact".use to say modern greeks...but now..hm what is this..According to this type..somebody had doubt about greekness.of Macedonians. in that time.that is only logical explanation to this event..
Is that Skopjian logic?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheaters (Jul '10) May '17 Unknown 5
Meth head thieves (May '17) May '17 Unknown 1
Walnut Fudge (Nov '16) Nov '16 Miles Standish 1
News Alexander the Great, King of Macedonia (Aug '10) May '16 Flameofhope 147
News Republican candidate Walker calls building nort... (Aug '15) Sep '15 Synque 65
wanna travel to real Persia ? (Jun '15) Jun '15 Persian 1
News Darius I, King of Persia (Jan '13) May '15 yanitza knows best 5

Harlan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harlan Mortgages