Members to discuss illegal tire dumping issue

May 4, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Killeen Daily Herald

From staff reports Killeen City Council members are slated to discuss potential solutions to illegal tire dumping, a problem that has surfaced in various areas of the city.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 09

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 5, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Anyone who wants their old tires put to good use should hang 'em on any of Killeen's red light scameras and set 'em on fire.
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 5, 2010
 
An excellent idea.
Violater

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 5, 2010
 
Let me get this right, With all the problems the city is having money wise the council wants to discuss illegal tire dumping? What part of illegal don't they understand?

Illegal (adjective) 1. Against the law, contravening a specific law, especially a criminal law. Enforce it!!

Illegal immigrant.(Noun) sombody who has entered a country illegally. Enforce it!!

There what part of the above do the yokels who call themselfs a council not understand.

Stop wasting tax dollars on triva. I would love to see these so called council members out campaigning for dollars and feilding questions in front of Wal-mart or passing the boot around at intersections like the firefighters do.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 5, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Illegal tire dumping...

Enforce the law and write tickets. If it is people dumping on someone elses, property, then setup a sting to capture the criminals. If the property owner won't clean up the mess, then have the solid waste crews or street crews who have the heavy equipment and let them clean it up. Then put a lein on the property owner and seize his land if he doesn't pay up. Then the land could be sold to the developers who can put quads on the property.

Issue solved. Now for the red light cameras that some like to whine about. If people didn't run red lights, then they wouldn't have problems with the cameras. It's very egotistical for a person to think that they are so important that they should violate the law to get where they are going.

But that is exactly what some are saying. They have issues with the camera because they want to run a red light to get to whereever they are going faster because they are too important to sit for a minute at an intersection and relax.

It's all in the frame of mind at the moment. A person doesn't have to be upset because they are at a redlight. They can take that time to untense the arms and shoulders, enjoy the music they are listening to if they have some on.

It takes milliseconds for the redlight to send a signal to the camera motion sensor. It takes more milliseconds for the sensor to tell the camera to take a picture. Clearly, in the photos as well, people are in the intersection while the light is red because there is a delay from the light changing until the time a photo is taken.

This is the calling out of the council because they waste time forum, not the whiners who complain about things that prevent them from commiting crimes forum. That belongs to centextalk who are also liars, and cyber bullies who attack anyone who doesn't agree with them...
Hunto

Kempner, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 5, 2010
 
shortchange wrote:
Illegal tire dumping...
Enforce the law and write tickets. If it is people dumping on someone elses, property, then setup a sting to capture the criminals. If the property owner won't clean up the mess, then have the solid waste crews or street crews who have the heavy equipment and let them clean it up. Then put a lein on the property owner and seize his land if he doesn't pay up. Then the land could be sold to the developers who can put quads on the property.
Issue solved. Now for the red light cameras that some like to whine about. If people didn't run red lights, then they wouldn't have problems with the cameras. It's very egotistical for a person to think that they are so important that they should violate the law to get where they are going.
But that is exactly what some are saying. They have issues with the camera because they want to run a red light to get to whereever they are going faster because they are too important to sit for a minute at an intersection and relax.
It's all in the frame of mind at the moment. A person doesn't have to be upset because they are at a redlight. They can take that time to untense the arms and shoulders, enjoy the music they are listening to if they have some on.
It takes milliseconds for the redlight to send a signal to the camera motion sensor. It takes more milliseconds for the sensor to tell the camera to take a picture. Clearly, in the photos as well, people are in the intersection while the light is red because there is a delay from the light changing until the time a photo is taken.
This is the calling out of the council because they waste time forum, not the whiners who complain about things that prevent them from commiting crimes forum. That belongs to centextalk who are also liars, and cyber bullies who attack anyone who doesn't agree with them...
Why are you against tracking tires back to the people who bought them? I think it is a great Idea. It can also be used to track stolen tires.

Since: Oct 09

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 5, 2010
 
How 'bout an RFID microchip molded into every tire that would alert the authorities via GPS of the speed and location of the vehicle and the tire temperature so the authorities could mail computer generated speeding tickets as well as tickets for under-inflated tires (unsafe equipment, section 547.004 of the Texas Transportation Code) to the registered owner?
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 5, 2010
 
Sure, why not?
What does this have to do with Copperas Cove?
Charlie Youngs

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 5, 2010
 
Violater wrote:
Let me get this right, With all the problems the city is having money wise the council wants to discuss illegal tire dumping? What part of illegal don't they understand?
Illegal (adjective) 1. Against the law, contravening a specific law, especially a criminal law. Enforce it!!
Illegal immigrant.(Noun) sombody who has entered a country illegally. Enforce it!!
There what part of the above do the yokels who call themselfs a council not understand.
Stop wasting tax dollars on triva. I would love to see these so called council members out campaigning for dollars and feilding questions in front of Wal-mart or passing the boot around at intersections like the firefighters do.
To: "Violater"

My name is Charlie Youngs and I have been on the Cove council for a year.

In that year there has not been one person come to a meeting and say anthing about illegal tire dumping.

In that year the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Code Enforcers, Mayor, City Manager, or any of the other councilman have talked about illegal tire dumping or that their is a problem with tire dumping.

I drive around the town a lot and I carry a camera. Maybe I am not driving in the right areas but I have not noticed a huge pile of illegal tires.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas.

Please share with me the areas your talking about. I will be more than glad to go out to the area and take pictures and bring this up at the next council meeting.

v/r

Charlie Youngs
Feddup

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 5, 2010
 
I think illegal dumping of ties and old furniture results in part from the city policy of charging residents extra money for hauling away any items that are too large to fit in the trash can, or not accepted by the solid waste landfill (city dump). I have often seen youngsters, and grownups, too, throw trash and empty beverage cans on city streets, then complain about the "trashy" appearance of their city.
It is no wonder that people would rather dump their discarded larger items on someone else's property, rather than have to pay for the proper disposal out of their own pockets. It isn't just the "younger generation" to blame. It is the idea that littering is one of our "American Freedoms", that we have grown used to.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 5, 2010
 
Hunto wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you against tracking tires back to the people who bought them? I think it is a great Idea. It can also be used to track stolen tires.
I'm not. I never said I was against that nor was that part of the subject mentioned. I was just showing how quickly the topic could be resolved and let more important things take presidence. But I can tell you that the others who are extremely paranoid about big brother watching them will have an issue with trqacking tires with electronic devices.

Myself, I think putting electronic devices in tires is not a good idea because the costs involved would have to be handed down to the consumers who would not be happy with that. Tires are also made of rubber which is a maluable material and electronics do not do well embedded in soft material nor do they work well with alot of motion. Of course this is just an opinion that a system like that would probably have too much error involved with it as well and having to be controlled by the federal system in order to ensure every car had them. Any lower in the govt chain and you can't ensure that every car in the area would have these chips because in this area many are from out of state. Any lower than the state level and it would be uninforcable. Plus, technology doesn't solve everything. We need to pick and choose when to use technology. Instead of using chips, we can use video to keep an eye on the areas where illegal dumping is being done when is a current technology and it would be cheaper than having a person sitting in a car watching the property.
KRay

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 5, 2010
 
shortchange wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not. I never said I was against that nor was that part of the subject mentioned. I was just showing how quickly the topic could be resolved and let more important things take presidence. But I can tell you that the others who are extremely paranoid about big brother watching them will have an issue with trqacking tires with electronic devices.
Myself, I think putting electronic devices in tires is not a good idea because the costs involved would have to be handed down to the consumers who would not be happy with that. Tires are also made of rubber which is a maluable material and electronics do not do well embedded in soft material nor do they work well with alot of motion. Of course this is just an opinion that a system like that would probably have too much error involved with it as well and having to be controlled by the federal system in order to ensure every car had them. Any lower in the govt chain and you can't ensure that every car in the area would have these chips because in this area many are from out of state. Any lower than the state level and it would be uninforcable. Plus, technology doesn't solve everything. We need to pick and choose when to use technology. Instead of using chips, we can use video to keep an eye on the areas where illegal dumping is being done when is a current technology and it would be cheaper than having a person sitting in a car watching the property.
That was a Killeen City Council discussion and issue, not a Copperas Cove one. I follow the Cove City Council meetings pretty closely and I don't recall any discussion about illegal dumping or anything associated with the topic.
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 5, 2010
 
Yeah, I don't know how this ended up in Cove's Topix board. Killeen has a problem with these; Cove doesn't appear to.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 5, 2010
 
Agreed. I view this topic in the Killeen forum and was curious as to why some cove people were chiming in.

Obviously there is some errant cross reference that is making this topic show up in both city forums.
DUH

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 5, 2010
 
Wake up Charlie, this is a Killen issue not Cove's.....now go back to sleep black snake!!!
Charlie Youngs wrote:
<quoted text>
To: "Violater"
My name is Charlie Youngs and I have been on the Cove council for a year.
In that year there has not been one person come to a meeting and say anthing about illegal tire dumping.
In that year the Police Chief, Fire Chief, Code Enforcers, Mayor, City Manager, or any of the other councilman have talked about illegal tire dumping or that their is a problem with tire dumping.
I drive around the town a lot and I carry a camera. Maybe I am not driving in the right areas but I have not noticed a huge pile of illegal tires.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right areas.
Please share with me the areas your talking about. I will be more than glad to go out to the area and take pictures and bring this up at the next council meeting.
v/r
Charlie Youngs
Billy D

Waco, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 6, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I am a taxpaying citizen of Killeen and there should be a place for me to bring used tires, mattresses, sofas, and other large trash without paying more for its disposal. I will bring a water bill for proof, just let me get rid of the stuff. I know I can't set it out at the curb. I will bring it to you, even if its just once a year, just take the stuff.
Violater

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 6, 2010
 
Billy D wrote:
I am a taxpaying citizen of Killeen and there should be a place for me to bring used tires, mattresses, sofas, and other large trash without paying more for its disposal. I will bring a water bill for proof, just let me get rid of the stuff. I know I can't set it out at the curb. I will bring it to you, even if its just once a year, just take the stuff.
There you go, I'm sure there's places for these Items maybe you have to pay a little more. The whole start of the thread was the council having a discussion on illegal dumping. What i fail to understand is why are they even broaching this subject when more important matters are at the city gates? What they need a lesson in understanding the English language what Illegal means?

Or is it deeper then that and a way for them to impose some ridiculous tax on it or a way for them or there buddies to put money in their pockets. Me I have no problem legally getting rid of these things.

Where is code enforcement on this issue? I see many code enforcement infractions daily just driving to and from work, its a wonder these people even have a code enforcement section in Killeen. Our tax dollars pay them correct? If they don't want to do the jobs they were hired to do, then get rid of them, there's enough people out of work who would gladly do it.

Since: Oct 09

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 6, 2010
 
Whatever happened to that scheme that was going to burn all our solid waste and turn it into gold or something?

Until we hear more of that, perhaps we can reduce the volume of our trash so that we can dispose of it in our curbside trash containers that the city provides. I understand that through a chemical reaction called combustion many solid wastes can be reduced in volume up to 90% thus allowing one to put that old sofa in a sandwich bag for ease of disposal!

But wait, some will say, isn't it illegal to burn trash in the limitless city? Well one man's trash is another man's barbecue. Just make sure you have a hot dog on hand to provide evidence of your true intent in torching that sofa.
Violater

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 6, 2010
 
Dagobert II wrote:
Whatever happened to that scheme that was going to burn all our solid waste and turn it into gold or something?
Until we hear more of that, perhaps we can reduce the volume of our trash so that we can dispose of it in our curbside trash containers that the city provides. I understand that through a chemical reaction called combustion many solid wastes can be reduced in volume up to 90% thus allowing one to put that old sofa in a sandwich bag for ease of disposal!
But wait, some will say, isn't it illegal to burn trash in the limitless city? Well one man's trash is another man's barbecue. Just make sure you have a hot dog on hand to provide evidence of your true intent in torching that sofa.
Hahaha. I drove by a couple of trailer parks in Killeen that look like solid waste where is Code enforcement?
Retired 1SG

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 6, 2010
 
Dagobert II wrote:
Whatever happened to that scheme that was going to burn all our solid waste and turn it into gold or something?
Until we hear more of that, perhaps we can reduce the volume of our trash so that we can dispose of it in our curbside trash containers that the city provides. I understand that through a chemical reaction called combustion many solid wastes can be reduced in volume up to 90% thus allowing one to put that old sofa in a sandwich bag for ease of disposal!
But wait, some will say, isn't it illegal to burn trash in the limitless city? Well one man's trash is another man's barbecue. Just make sure you have a hot dog on hand to provide evidence of your true intent in torching that sofa.
Ah, yes, the marvelous plant which was going to be built in Killeen. Evidently some people wised up and saw this as the fraud it truly was.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 6, 2010
 
There is a problem with burning. In some cases there is a chance for toxic chemicals to be released into the atmosphere that contain alot of suffixes like bi- tri- and di- that go along with words like butane, chloro, ethyl, acetate and so on and so on.

Yes, people and companies burn things all the time but unregularated individuals burning their thing nilly-willy is not a perfect solution for trash disposal. Some of the rural people I've seen remided me of gomer and I'm not sure I can trust a person of that mental level making right choices towards burning stuff.

"Hey paw, can we burn this here thing?"

"Well, I don't rightly know, but lets give it a shot and see what she does! chuckle chuckle"

And it turns out to be a canister of toxic aerosols...

I agree with the idea of minimizing our waste, but how many times have we seen families overfill their city provided trash cans and they're a family of 3? Those cans that are not filled when they are put out, get filled by lawn and construction crews looking for cans to dump "THEIR" stuff into.

We can say cut back to people but mostly because they are lower class, they won't listen kinda like some on the council. They are too wrapped up in their cell phone call while listening to their stereo that is cranked to 100db on their way to WIC to pick up thier freebies while their ride has $4000 rims on it.

Yes, that is one small group but add them to the construction crews and this group and that group and you'll have a large mass of many groups who are not caring about anything. Wow, that sounds like Killeen...

Then what do we do? We keep talking about it until the DO listen. Tell the council over and over that we need more code enforcement because we only have 5-6 people canvasing the whole city that has more than doubled in size since these 5-6 were implimented. Better yet, those who wish to make a change and be a positive contributor(not a band of facist whiners and abusive cops on a forum), band together and get organized and go to the meetings and voice our desires for change.

We can improve things if we want, we just have to do but also know that we can't be greedy tightwads thinking that these changes should come for free. That notion is rediculous. You want a free library with internet access, someone has to pay for it. You want more code enforcement, someone has to pay for it.

Yes we can go over the budget and cut some wasted costs in depts like HR, IT, Finance and legal. But pulling funds from other depts and trimming the budget will not pay for all the new services we might want to add. It'll still take money and when the council refuses to bring new industries or other large businesses, then we are either stuck with doing nothing, or we'll have to pony up some cash.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Harker Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harker Heights Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Harker Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••