Since: Jan 10

HARKER HEIGHTS, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

I would like to know if there are any others out there who have experienced outrageous electric bills lately? I have lived at the same address for 8yrs.now, and I have never had an electric bill to soar to the heights that I have seen for the past 2 months. I can't accept the excuse that the utility company gives of it being a colder year this year, because a few year ago we had snow and it never reach the cost it has reach this year. I've talked with others who have expressed a concern in their utilities escalating also. I would like to hear from others, am I the only one who is concerned? I've made calls to the electric company, whom recently changed meters, with no avail. As usual, "the company is always right!" HOGWASH!!! I really want to know, am I alone?
cdw

Temple, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

I do not live in Harker Heights but have been affected by the same problem as you, as well as many others have. All that I have spoken to, I have advised to file a complaint with the Texas Public Utility Commission. I know a while back that the number and severity of the complaint would/could drastically affect the company. I had two other issues, one there was no notification left that they were on my property to replace the meater. The second, which they are not able to prove, is that I agreed to a 5 year contract. Which I would never do. Another option is to get enough people together to file a "Class Action Law Suit".
bmf

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

Our electric bill has gone up too. I thought maybe it has something to do with the new digital meters. They have to pay for them somehow I guess. And we are the one's that get stuck with the bill.

HARKER HEIGHTS, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2010

I listened to the news tonight 02/02/10, and it was coincidental the same topic I started here was on the news. They are saying that the new meters have nothing to do with the increase. They are saying it's the change in the weather and that there are no faulty meters. I beg to differ, and I am willing to be one of those people to file a "Class Action Suit." The only problem is getting enough people to fight the battle. After 8yrs in the same place and seeing worse weather in previous years without having bills as high as my last bill over ($500.00), I refuse to believe my electric provider. They said on the news to contact your electric provider. I've done that, and they tell me it could take up to 16 days to get a reply....which means NEVER to me. I just feel either way..the customer will have to suffer and it's not right.
Concerned

Stephenville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2010

Everyone has had this problem. All of my neighbors whom have been her for years say their bills have never been this much. I myself, left the month of December and turned my heat way down to save money. When I called I was told I used twice as many Kw as November. I was also told the meter are more accurate and that is another reason our bills went up. How is that when I wasn't even here to use the electric? I think the meters are to blame. When I asked for someone to come look at my meter I was informed that it will be a $30 reading charge. More money I have to fork out!! I bet a lot of people would join a "class action suit"! I would.
Sham RipOFF

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Yes, you're not alone. Just go look at all the people congregating down at the Killeen Senior Center attempting to get resolution with the ONCOR reps. They are covering something up and blatantly lying. My bill went from $230 to $497. It was not cold enough for that much of an increase. Where are the Killeen and Harker Heights city council representatives on this matter??? Did their bills not go up too??? I doubt it! Show some interest "representatives"!

HARKER HEIGHTS, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

Sham RipOFF wrote:
Yes, you're not alone. Just go look at all the people congregating down at the Killeen Senior Center attempting to get resolution with the ONCOR reps. They are covering something up and blatantly lying. My bill went from $230 to $497. It was not cold enough for that much of an increase. Where are the Killeen and Harker Heights city council representatives on this matter??? Did their bills not go up too??? I doubt it! Show some interest "representatives"!
The worst part about this whole issue is....for years and years...the electric companies have found it convenient to increase electric bills during the holidays, as if EVERYONE celebrates with all the lighting and extra cooking. That is not true for many of us but, this time they have gone way over board. I still patiently wait for a call from a representative, and it has been a week now.:-(

HARKER HEIGHTS, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2010

OMG!!! Everyone should google ONCOR SMART METERS and read what I just read.........these meters will cost US, the customers for 11yrs...(shaking my head)....WOW!
ninad

Waco, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2010

i live in belton, tx and my electric bill went from $209 to $350. i kno its not a large increase but its a significant one! will this get any worse? what should i do? this needs to come to an end.
bmf

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2010

I googled ONCOR SMART METERS. We are screwed for the next 11 years folks. And by the time these are paid for, we will probably have to buy new ones. This is crazy!!!!
SSG in Kempner

Copperas Cove, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2010

bmf wrote:
I googled ONCOR SMART METERS. We are screwed for the next 11 years folks. And by the time these are paid for, we will probably have to buy new ones. This is crazy!!!!
I live in Kempner and my bill doubled, oh and by the way I was on leave in Alabama for the whole month of January, with all my lights off, my thermostat turned completly off, the only thing that was on in my house was the water heater and my fridge. I believe there is a huge cover up here!!! I also believe if I have to pay for the meter then I should be able to pick out the meter I want to use and have the right to shop around for the brand or style I want. Would any one here let the car company tell us what car we must drive or what brand of TV we can watch? How in the heck can they tell us to pay for a product that they can remotely access and monitor? this in its self is a scam!!! I will def. be there tomarrow for the meeting. No dought!!!
Patrick Halgren

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2010

I just bought a new house in Harker Heights and my electric bill has soared over the past 2 months to over $500.00. I have had my meter checked,and talked to the electric company on the explaination. I have been told that the meter is correct and that is what I have been using. So what it comes down to is that my family is stuck with the bills although we are concerving electricity by turning off lights and leaving unused electronics unplugged. I would defineately join in participating in other means to resolve this outrageousness.
roberts

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Here in Richardson Texas, we to are getting burned.

In the morning before we go to work we do not turn things off We unplug everything from the wall.

The past month the weather has been really nice so the heat and ac have just been turned off, Spent nearly 200 in low watt bulbs. We have also turned the water heater down so low we hardly even have hot water for bathing.

Laundry is only done Once a week.
Still our bill is at 460 and up.

My mother got on the phone with TXU and they were just playing with us on the phone asking stupid questions that made no since.

Our meter reader onetime did not even know what address he was at, he thought he was 2 streets over and had already read our meter.

TXU says we used 2849 kilowatts last month at 13.2 per kilowatt hour.

I read the meter again just 5 days after TXU read the meter and it is saying we have already used 1246 kilowatt in just 5 day.

I check the meter all of the time to see how slow it is going and it is always at a snails pace.

Something is wrong.

TXU just hung up the phone on us. A person named Eugene.

What a scam
roberts

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2010

Im not sure but I believe if the power going to the house is coming in with not much Juice then when you use electricty the meter will spin faster making TXU more money.

Im not sure how to explain this but I believe TXU is turning the power down at the plants so when it goes threw the meter, the meter will show more electricty was used.

If the power going to the meter has alot of power then the meter will read correctly but if the power going to the meter is just minimal then your meter will read over usage. This is the same for smart meter and the old dial style meters.

TXU has figured out how to adjust power going to the meters so that the meters will strain.

The reason people with the new smart meters are complaing is that TXU only makes the change to the power on the grid once new smart meters on installed so that it looks like the new smart meter is actually reading correctly now.

It's a Huge scam and people will be going to Prison over this once it gets out.
I AM PISSED OFF

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

million2one wrote:
I would like to know if there are any others out there who have experienced outrageous electric bills lately? I have lived at the same address for 8yrs.now, and I have never had an electric bill to soar to the heights that I have seen for the past 2 months. I can't accept the excuse that the utility company gives of it being a colder year this year, because a few year ago we had snow and it never reach the cost it has reach this year. I've talked with others who have expressed a concern in their utilities escalating also. I would like to hear from others, am I the only one who is concerned? I've made calls to the electric company, whom recently changed meters, with no avail. As usual, "the company is always right!" HOGWASH!!! I really want to know, am I alone?
NO YOUR NOT AND I AM OUTRAGED. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE RENTAL PROPERTY AND NO ONE HAS EVEN BEEN THERE AND TXU IS TRYING TO BILL ME $1400.00 FOR 2 MONTHS AND NO ONE HAS EVEN LIVED THERE. NO TV WAS EVER TURNED ON, NO DISHWASHER EVER RAN, NO WASHER AND DRYER WAS NEVER TURNED ON, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS TURNED ON EXPECT 2 LIGHTS WITH ENERGY SAVING LIGHT BULBS I LIVE IN A 14X70 TRAILER. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THIS IS RIGHT. I HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT HAS A DOUBLEWIDE WITH 4 PEOPLE LIVING IN IT AND THERE'S WAS ONLY $500.00. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE A STAND AND THAT'S WHAT i'M HERE FOR I REFUSE TO BE RAILROADED! TXU SUCKS AND I'M READY TO FIGHT LEGALLY! SO GET READY TXU I'M NOT TAKING THIS LAYING DOWN!
I AM PISSED OFF

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW I HAVE RENTAL PROPERTY AND NO ONE HAS EVEN BEEN THERE AND TXU IS TRYING TO BILL ME $1400.00 FOR 2 MONTHS AND NO ONE HAS EVEN LIVED THERE. NO TV WAS EVER TURNED ON, NO DISHWASHER EVER RAN, NO WASHER AND DRYER WAS NEVER TURNED ON, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WAS TURNED ON EXPECT 2 LIGHTS WITH ENERGY SAVING LIGHT BULBS I LIVE IN A 14X70 TRAILER. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THIS IS RIGHT. I HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT HAS A DOUBLEWIDE WITH 4 PEOPLE LIVING IN IT AND THERE'S WAS ONLY $500.00. SOMEONE NEEDS TO TAKE A STAND AND THAT'S WHAT i'M HERE FOR I REFUSE TO BE RAILROADED! TXU SUCKS AND I'M READY TO FIGHT LEGALLY! SO GET READY TXU I'M NOT TAKING THIS LAYING DOWN!
Burr

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

We too are outraged, we put a new roof on our home, blew in thirty bags of insulation, but all those corkscrew energy efficient light bulbs, used the fireplace and not the furnace and had new windows installed in the majority of our home. Guess what even after a year our bill shows more consumption. I called and complained, nothing, I demanded a new meter, no response. I filed a complaint with PUC, new meter - still no difference. Even went as far as hitting the master power switch on our house Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m. when we were gone to work - guess what - no difference in energy use according to Idaho Power - how can that be? I don't even believe what they say we are using how does one prove accuracy of their records. You can't.
Burr

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2010

my above post should say from 6 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Jamie

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

I am not a TXU customer now but was in past. Look into Ambit Energy. That is who I am with and my bill has been lower since I switched. They switched me for free and I have no contract. Sorry to hear all the complaints and having to pay the bills no matter what. I did not know I had a choice to compare but glad I did. Here is the web address if you want try their service. www.lessenergycosts.joinambit.com . I pay .0098 per killowatt. Good luck everyone.
Nate

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2011

I'm not a customer (learned my lesson years ago) but check out "American Greed" episode abut ENRON and you will really feel you are being robbed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Harker Heights Discussions

Search the Harker Heights Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr steven 17,110
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 4 hr Gasman 21,547
VineLink - See who's in jail anywhere in the USA! (Apr '07) Sun Michael Prochilo 38
Review: Action Pawn Sat micah Robinson 1
1 st Armored Division (May '09) Sat Jayar 40
Training at Ft. Hood Sat Jayar 1
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) Fri Wow 598
•••
•••
•••
•••

Harker Heights Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••