Revamping the city Taxes
Revote in Nolanville

Killeen, TX

#1 Dec 7, 2012
Nolanville Texas, A great place to live and raise your family.

Robert Meeks is a man that believes in helping his community. He believes that a successful government rests on its ability to cooperate and work with its public. I’ve been a resident of this great city since December 2005, currently teaching college classes for two colleges and completing my PHD in Psychology.

Nolanville Politics and taxes:
Since Sept 6 council meeting, and the approval of the tax increase which will eventually create a financial burden for many residences of the city of Nolanville. This tax increase affects property owners and renters living in the Nolanville.“City Manager Stephen Pearl said the tax hike reflects the city’s desire to meet requests by residents for street improvements and parks. He had initially proposed a 3-cent tax hike, from 46 cents to 49 cents per $100 valuation, but the council asked him to raise it to 51 cents to give the city more funds for road repairs.”(Quoted in The KDH Aug 24, 2012)

Many citizens addressed some serious concerns about the increase in property tax during the Sept 6 city council meeting. But I felt along with a few other citizens that their concerns fell on death ears. As a council member representing the city of Nolanville, you sole job is listen to your citizen concerns and act in the best interest of our city. Listening to the public, many citizens did not object to the increase if it was done in moderation. Again the major concern that I had problems with the drastic increase was its affect on the fixed income.

Statistics Provided by
“A city averaging around 4,000 residences, whom household and family income range between 32,000 and 40,000. This income level is computed just slightly below the states average. The median sales price for homes in Nolanville TX for Jul 12 to Sep 12 was $317,902. This represents an increase of 130.7%, or $180,130, compared to the prior quarter and an increase of 0% compared to the prior year. The average listing price for Nolanville homes for sale on Trulia was $198,040 for the week ending Nov 07, which represents a decline of 4.8%, or $9,915, compared to the prior week and a decline of 9.3%, or $20,273, compared to the week ending Oct 17.”

As of today, 33 homes are for sale, 13 homes are currently in Foreclosure with 2 homes sold within the last 90 days. What does this data say; more people are leaving the city with fewer residences purchasing homes. Property values decrease does not support large increase in property taxes. The generally excuse that I hear about this increase is,“ Well Nolanville still has the cheapest property tax in all of Bell County.” This is true, but Nolanville does not have the large business infrastructure to support an increase in sales tax. That is why I want to offer tax breaks to business willing to develop and support our Nolanville community. With an increase in business, it removes the financial strain on the private sector.

Political goal:

What do I expect to change while in office?
• Readdress the increase in property tax. The city manager initial recommendation should be re-tabled for the public feedback and re-vote.
• Business expansion project to the city of Nolanville
• Fully represent the Public voices on the city council

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harker Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So, Fred Churchill is running for Sherriff of B... Nov 20 Anonymous 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 19 Video farts 835
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Nov 19 Killeen delivery 1
Kempner Water Nov 17 Fran 2
198th Light Infantry Brigade (Jul '09) Nov 10 Lorrie Young Jones 21
Review: Assembly Of Prayer Christian Church (Sep '12) Nov 10 WhatIsTruth 101
salado is my home town. i recently invited frie... Nov 9 CC1 WHY 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harker Heights Mortgages