198th Light Infantry Brigade

Posted in the Harker Heights Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jayar

Mamaroneck, NY

#1 Jul 21, 2009
Training at Fort Hood in May 1967. During this training, jungle fighting techniques (provided by the 16th Engineer Battalion) and air mobility were emphasized.
Don White

Bakersfield, CA

#2 Aug 13, 2011
I was in Ft. Hood in 1967 when 198th Lt. Infantry was reformed in preparation for deployment for Vietnam. By rail from Ft. Hood to the dock in Oakland and then 23 days across the Pacific to DaNang. Then by LST to DucPho. Spent Oct 1967 till Oct 1968 In C Company, 9th Support Batalion, 198th Lt. Infantry
Jayar

Patchogue, NY

#3 Aug 15, 2011
Hi Don,

I was part of the RVN Training team at Fort Hood from 1966-1968. I hope you picked a few points going through the course. Many of the the DI's had been to Nam and were trying their best to give everybody the heads up on what to expect overseas. Glad you made it home brother.
Harley Miles

Commerce Township, MI

#4 Feb 14, 2012
I was with you Don at Fr. Hood and went over with you to Nam. Only I was in Co B
walt

Macungie, PA

#5 Dec 23, 2012
was in fort hood in 67 , 9 spt bat. b cp. had a platoon sgt. name sgt. booth. was hard on us like you couldn't believe but he was right. this will save your life one day. also went over on the troop carrier the uss upsure.(spelling?) based on hill 69 then transfered to chu lia. welcome home guys.
Smokin Joe

Bronx, NY

#6 Dec 24, 2012
shelley walters

Beaumont, TX

#7 Apr 16, 2013
Don White wrote:
I was in Ft. Hood in 1967 when 198th Lt. Infantry was reformed in preparation for deployment for Vietnam. By rail from Ft. Hood to the dock in Oakland and then 23 days across the Pacific to DaNang. Then by LST to DucPho. Spent Oct 1967 till Oct 1968 In C Company, 9th Support Batalion, 198th Lt. Infantry
mr white, my father, thomas walls, was also in charlie company 9th support 67/68. i am having a terrible time trying to find information about his time there and he doesn't talk about it. can you offer any advice as to where i might search? i have his records but they don't offer much. i would really like to know more than just the fact that he was a medic in chu lai.
many thanks,
shelley walters
smokin joe

Macungie, PA

#8 Apr 17, 2013
Smokin Joe wrote:
joe
thanks for the pic. i remember goin over like it was yesterday. goin under the golden gate bridge. that was about one of the last times we saw the sun as we encountered a strom goin over an we weren't allowed on deck. still have a few pics of crossing the international date line.
thanks again
walt
198 infanty brg.
67/68
walt

Macungie, PA

#9 Apr 17, 2013
hi shelly
really wondering if i may by some chance met your father, it's a small they say. i was in the same area at the same time frame as he. i was stationed on hill 69 for about 6 months an after transferred to chu lai. it's really hard to describe any thing over there, like the old saying goes "you had to be there" not trying to be smart.
here is a link, clip on his branch of service an it gives "all" info on ALL operations that took place in nat. it's declassified material.
http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/
hope this gives you a better idea as to what took place. tell you dad i said welcome home. oh, an if he's not a member of his local vietnam vets chapter to join. i was hesitatin also but am happy i did. their a great bunch of guys an they know what the story is an make you feel right at home. good luck.
walt
vva 415
pa.
Smokin Joe

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#10 Jun 24, 2013
The 16mm short film "Mickey Mouse In Vietnam" is an anti-war movie by Lee Savage and Milton Glaser, produced for The Angry Arts Festival in 1968.

Richard - Dick- Towner

Auburn, WA

#11 Feb 13, 2014
Don White wrote:
I was also there with you guys and trained under 1st Sgt Greathouse. If any of you guys remember him or any of the other guys please respond. On arriving at Fort Hood and in the first formation held by Sgt Greathouse the guy next to me I believe named Dennis, probably wrong, and I became bowlers for the 1st Sgt's team. What a blast that was and remained so throughout Basic and AIT. I led the Silent Drill Team during the graduation ceremony. I stayed until October of 67 and drove a 2 1/2 parking it around the corner at the Motor Pool. Got a 3 day pass for having a strac truck during the General Inspection. Went with a couple of guys to Watchahatchee and Austin. Almost didn't make it back. In October 67 was sent to Alaska where I was Battalion S-1 Clerk until going home in October 68. Would like to talk to anyone that remembers any of this.
Wilbur Yoder

Goshen, IN

#12 Jul 29, 2014
Hey Walt. I was in 9th Support Battalion at Fort Hood in 67 and also went over on a troop ship from San Francisco in Jan 68. Don't remember the ship name. But based at Chu Lai. Was in Co B. Who knows, we may have crossed paths at some point.
Wilber

Macungie, PA

#13 Jul 30, 2014
Wilbur Yoder wrote:
Hey Walt. I was in 9th Support Battalion at Fort Hood in 67 and also went over on a troop ship from San Francisco in Jan 68. Don't remember the ship name. But based at Chu Lai. Was in Co B. Who knows, we may have crossed paths at some point.
the possibilities are great. the troop carrier I went over on the the uss upsher if that rings a bell?
https://www.google.com/search...
Smokin Joe

Ronkonkoma, NY

#15 Oct 8, 2014
These Boots were made for walking...

&fe ature=youtu.be
Mike Valdez

Covina, CA

#16 Jan 7, 2015
Wilbur Yoder wrote:
Could you be the same Yoder that I shared a tent with, along with Carl (Smitty) Smith in mid '68? I was assigned there after getting hurt. Sorry don't remember other names except Sgt Dulin and " John New Guy"....

If you are the same, I just wanted to say 'hi' and hope all is well with you.
swfly

Macungie, PA

#17 Jan 8, 2015
Wilbur Yoder wrote:
sounds so familiar but went over in 67
zebulu49

Daytona Beach, FL

#19 Feb 6, 2015
I was the mechanic driver that hauled you guys around in the APCs on Ft. Hood. we were ordered to stay behind when you got deployed, We did the riots in Chicago instead.
swfly

Macungie, PA

#20 Feb 7, 2015
zebulu49 wrote:
I was the mechanic driver that hauled you guys around in the APCs on Ft. Hood. we were ordered to stay behind when you got deployed, We did the riots in Chicago instead.
hey ZE thanks for the shout. always good to hear from someone back then. hope all is good with you. I'm enjoying retirement an traveling to different states on the motorcycle. as they say, you only go around once :)
harley chaz

Toms River, NJ

#21 Sep 29, 2015
walt wrote:
was in fort hood in 67 , 9 spt bat. b cp. had a platoon sgt. name sgt. booth. was hard on us like you couldn't believe but he was right. this will save your life one day. also went over on the troop carrier the uss upsure.(spelling?) based on hill 69 then transfered to chu lia. welcome home guys.
yea,I had Sgt Booth in AIT , he was a hard ass.He gave me an article 15 one time .Had k.p.for 4 straight days.Do you remember Sgt Welch,Capt. Cone.
Lorrie Young Jones

United States

#22 Nov 10, 2015
I'm helping my dad Larry Young to reconnect with his platoon. He was in the 198th bravo lite infantry 3rd platoon from 1967-1968. Some of his buddies were John D. Gardner or Garner, Maulkie, Crawford, Montgomery (Monty). When he was sent over, they landed in DaNang. I'd also like to thank the brave person who saved him. I'm the only child he has and I was born in 71. So Thank You for helping my dad! Just like him, you are my hero!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harker Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Daingerfield man writes book about 1980 ... (Dec '09) Aug 13 Willie Granville 8
What do you know about chet shelton (Jan '16) Jul 30 Getalife_99 17
searching Jul 27 shad 1
Jonathan rhen kitten (Oct '16) Jul 26 Opinion 3
News Company will implant microchips in its employees Jul 26 tamara 1
Roger Van Grisham (May '16) Jul 23 Mike 3
Lake Tragedy Suspect Jul '17 Wondering 1

Harker Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harker Heights Mortgages