Ft. Hood,  Killeen Texas
Smokin Joe

Riverhead, NY

#1 Dec 26, 2012
1990 Postcard of Ft. Hood,  Killeen Texas
Smokin Joe

Riverhead, NY

#2 Dec 27, 2012
During the 1960’s, Fort Hood played a role in Vietnam by training and deploying soldiers. Also important was deterrence of the further advance of communism. Fort Hood “heavied up” and was officially designated a two-division post - 1st and 2d Armored Division both were stationed here simultaneously.

1st Armored Division Reactivation

1st Armd. Div. Reactivated Jan. 3, 1962 with Combat Command Activity of the division becoming the nucleus, in response to the Berlin Crisis.

The Cuban Missile Crisis occurred on Oct. 22, 1962 and the 1st Armd Div was sent to Florida in response as part of STRAC, the Strategic Army Corps.

Big Lift and Desert Strike

The next big exercise to affect Fort Hood soldiers was Big Lift on Oct. 21, 1963. The concept of Big Lift was to send the soldiers of a division to pre-positioned equipment in Europe within 72 hours of notification.

Desert Strike in May 1964 was a mass movement of troops to the desert Southwest. Almost all of Fort Hood sent on the Desert Strike operation: III Corps and the 1st and 2nd Armored Divisions all went.

Vietnam and Fort Hood

The war in Vietnam brought back the Selective Service Act and draftees. In 1965, the 1st and 2nd Armored Divisions were training new recruits for combat in Vietnam.

While the two armored divisions were training recruits, III Corps was preparing war plans for the European theater.
Jim Kittle

Pasadena, TX

#3 Oct 22, 2013
I made Operation Big Lift and Desert Strike with the 502nd MP Co, 2nd Armored Division. I went to Fort Hood in July of 1963 when returning from France. Found myself en route to Germany in October 63.
Roberto Flores CPL

Carson, CA

#4 May 23, 2014
I was one of the first Drill instructers in 1965 along with a professional baseball player Jim Holt, went on to nam in dec 1965
Robert Moutray

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Jun 29, 2014
Jim Kittle wrote:
I made Operation Big Lift and Desert Strike with the 502nd MP Co, 2nd Armored Division. I went to Fort Hood in July of 1963 when returning from France. Found myself en route to Germany in October 63.
Hay Jim...I was also in BIg Lift and Desert Strike. I was with 124th Maint Btn 2nd AD. I have a son who is next month retiring from the AF after 24 yrs, with deployments to Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
tvdd77

Trezevant, TN

#6 Sep 16, 2014
Anyone remember W.H. Newton Jr. at Ft. Hood, 1965 ?
Bmoutray

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Nov 22, 2014
I was in Co D 124th Mt Bn and participated in Operation Big Lift and Desert Strike. Lived out of our duffle bags for about 2 weeks ready for Cuban Missle Crisis.Was in Ft hood from June 62 til Nov 64.
Sp4 Robert Moutray
Larry Eary

Conroe, TX

#8 Dec 14, 2014
Robert Moutray wrote:
<quoted text>
Hay Jim...I was also in BIg Lift and Desert Strike. I was with 124th Maint Btn 2nd AD. I have a son who is next month retiring from the AF after 24 yrs, with deployments to Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
Robert: I was at Ft Hood from June 1961 thru June 1964. Took basic training in the 78th Art. and the transferred to the 67th Armored. Went to Germany TDY from April 1962 till September 1962. The was transferred to the 41st Inf. in 1963 before Operation Big Lift when the whole 2nd AD was flown to Germany for war games. In 1964 I drove a jeep all the way to the Mojave Desert. I am one of the few who wore the 2nd AD patch all three years of my service. I was 52 miles from my home town of Clifton, TX.
Simonet

Palm Springs, CA

#9 Mar 10, 2015
In May of 1964 I was Stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. With the ASA unit.
We went West and were involved in a Operation Desert Strike, anyone
Around who was their also ?
prm1philip

Ansonia, CT

#10 Jan 9, 2016
Jim Kittle wrote:
hey jim; i was with the 502nd mp co. in 1964; made the trip out to the desert ; for desert strike; phil martino; derby ct
kiyotei

Long Beach, CA

#11 Feb 5, 2016
My father was involved in Operation Desert Strike. I found an old picture with him and his army buddies goofing around with their shirts off dated as "Late May 1964." Googling and reading more about this operation was eye-opening to say the least. This was a HUGE event.

My father has passed away so I'm only able to learn about this by searching online.

There is a great video of the operation on Youtube:
(actual info starts about 5:33 into the video)

I only know that my father was in the 1st cavalry stationed at Ft. Hood, TX.
I was 4 years old.

My question to anyone is just how big was the 1st cavalry? How many troops from the 1st cavalry would have been involved in the exercise?

I read that a lot of the troops were interested in catching rattlesnakes there. This is something he continued to enjoy after he left the army and continued to hunt them when we moved to Utah.

Thanks for any input. Thanks to all the veterans who serve our country. Past, present and future.
Chuck

Centereach, NY

#12 Feb 6, 2016
kiyotei wrote:
My father was involved in Operation Desert Strike. I found an old picture with him and his army buddies goofing around with their shirts off dated as "Late May 1964." Googling and reading more about this operation was eye-opening to say the least. This was a HUGE event.
My father has passed away so I'm only able to learn about this by searching online.
There is a great video of the operation on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Qh0Ssx6eo0kXX (actual info starts about 5:33 into the video)
I only know that my father was in the 1st cavalry stationed at Ft. Hood, TX.
I was 4 years old.
My question to anyone is just how big was the 1st cavalry? How many troops from the 1st cavalry would have been involved in the exercise?
I read that a lot of the troops were interested in catching rattlesnakes there. This is something he continued to enjoy after he left the army and continued to hunt them when we moved to Utah.
Thanks for any input. Thanks to all the veterans who serve our country. Past, present and future.
1st. Cav. Vietnam...
http://www.first-team.us/tableaux/chapt_08/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harker Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1 st Armored Division (May '09) 13 min Jayar 50
News Belton Police Arrest Six Men for Gang Rape (Dec '07) 1 hr FLA boy 48
Two white guys in search of ebony girl or asian... (Oct '12) Tue Ridemyface 21
Any Cougars or milfs want company tonight? (Jan '16) Tue Ridemyface 6
Need a tire Tue Ridemyface 2
Wounded Military Dating or Wounded Warriors Dating (May '10) Tue Jaded143 17
I really need something to stay hopeful Dec 2 Anonymous 1

Harker Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance