First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Beth Perry

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2008
I thought I would post a comment about what happened to me today with 2 representatives from John Reider. I was doing a move out inspection for my boy-friend who is working in Oklahoma. First things first it took them a total of about 5 minutes to complete the inspection because by the time I made it to the residence they were locking the door. She gives me the move out papers and just about everything she has failed including the A/C unit (which I did not understand)! He had already received permission from the manager to allow me to do the move out, but the lady calls with an attitude to verify (which was verified). So I begin to ask questions on why things were failing the inspection, she again gets an attitude and calls the company to tell them she will not finish the inspection because I am arguing with her. I don't think asking questions is arguing especially when it comes to an $800.00 deposit. It amazes me how the local companies try to take advantage of the residents. I wrote a letter to John Reider which I highly doubt will go any further then the drop box, but I wanted to share my incident with any one who will read it!! Thanks for listening and beware of companies that will try to rip you and your family off!!

Since: Sep 08

Waco, TX

#2 Oct 4, 2008
Almost all the rental companies around here are crooks. I got screwed and so have a lot of other people around here.
Anonymous

Rhome, TX

#3 Nov 24, 2008
Thieves. Kept majority of security deposit for no legitimate reason. Charged us $300.00 for carpet cleaning even though the house has no carpet, etc. Told us we could not have fair wear and tear because we only lived in the house for 11 months even though we paid the entire 12 month lease. DO NOT RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE!
Upset Former Tennant

Waco, TX

#4 Apr 1, 2009
They are trying to do the same thing to me. I get a letter today stating that I OWE 270 dollars on top of my security depost/pet deposit fee. The house was rented to me in crappy condition, that should of tipped me off already. The house was filthy, it was infested with roaches and rats, I had to have the house exterminated and pest controlled at MY expense. We took care of the house fixed things that broke and we took a whole day to clean it out upon move out and had the carpet professionaly cleaned. I will be writing about this everywhere I can and have already disputed the charges as well as filed a BBB complaint.
Moving back to Fort Hood

Columbus, OH

#5 May 16, 2009
Wow! Thank you so much for your posts. I had a really bad experience from Armadillo Properties the last time I was at Fort Hood - I vowed I would never do business with them. They kept my deposit and charged me extra because of 'unclean carpet' which I had professionally cleaned and turned in a copy of the receipt before I left and after I cleaned the place up myself after calling them every day for the first two weeks - I realized they weren't coming to do as they promised. Plus, they tried charging two months additional rent way after I had already left TX!! I came across JR and they seemed legit, but now I'm going to be very careful. Thank you, again.
Disappointed

AOL

#6 Jun 19, 2009
Do NOT rent from these people! I wish that they said that the $400 deposit was non-refundable. They are unprofessional in the way they talk to you and would not write down what they were guaranteeing me with the deposit refund (they changed what they had originally had told me). They wrote down on the move out inspection for things like, toilet paper roll with toilet paper still on the roll, trash on the curb (when the trash pick up was the next day), having ONE nail hole not spackled. Do NOT rent from these people I wish I hadn't!
PISSED N BREAKING LEASE

Roy, UT

#7 Jun 22, 2009
THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS AND FULL OF $#!+! DID YOU KNOW THAT THEY CHARGE YOU ABOUT $70 FOR MOWING YOUR LAWN?!? AND IF YOU HAVE A TREE GROWING ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR HOME AND THE BRANCHES TOUCH THE ROOF, YOU HAVE TO CLIMB UP THERE AND CUT THE BRANCHES?!? CLEARLY SOMETHING THAT SHOULDN'T BE LEFT FOR THE TENANT TO DO- THEY ARE JUST TOO TRIFLING TO TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY. WHAT IF SOMEONE FALLS FROM THE ROOF AND DIES? I KNOW, RIDICULOUS! THEY, IN FACT, ARE VERRRRRY RUDE IN THE WAY THAT THEY SPEAK TO YOU AND PERSONALLY, A SPECIFIC CHICK HAS ONE MORE TIME TO TALK TO ME LIKE I AM BENEATH HER AND SHE'LL HAVE A REAL PROBLEM ON HER HANDS. I ASKED HER A QUESTION AND SHE ASKED ME "WHAT DOES YOUR LEASE INDICATE?" B!+C# IF I KNEW WOULD I BE ASKING YOUR SIMPLE A$$? I AM ALWAYS ONE WHO'S POLITE AND COURTEOUS EVEN WHEN PEOPLE COULD POSSIBLY BE HAVING A BAD DAY. THESE PEOPLE MUST HAVE A BAD DAY EVERY DAY-PROBABLY A RESULT OF HOW THEY TREAT THEIR TENANTS. THEY NEED A COMPLETE OVERHAUL AS FAR AS GENERAL CUSTOMER SERVICE GOES. IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DISREGARD THE WARNINGS STATED HERE, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING WITH SIGNATURES AND TAKE PICTURES WITH A VERY GOOD CAMERA! THEY CHARGED MY NEIGHBOR FOR CARPET CLEANING WHEN HE MOVED OUT.....THERE'S NOT EVEN ANY DAMN CARPET IN THESE SHABBY ASS DUPLEXES! SO FROM THAT ALONE, YOU CAN TELL WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE YOU'RE DEALING WITH. THEY LIE AND TELL YOU THE FLOORING IS TILE....THE FOUNDATION--YES, THE FOUNDATION!--HAS BEEN STAINED AND THEN THEY APPARENTLY WEREN'T PROPERLY LEVELED WHEN BUILT BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL LONG SETTLEMENT CRACKS IN THE FLOOR AND IF IT RAINS ENOUGH, THE "FLOOR" LOOKS DISCOLORED FOR A WHILE IN SOME SPOTS BECAUSE OF THE MOISTURE SEEPING FROM UNDERNEATH IT! I'M SURE THEY'LL SAY THE SETTLEMENT CRACKS ARE SOMEHOW MY FAULT. ANYONE WILLING TO BET ON IT? I WAS MOVING IN FROM ANOTHER AREA AND IN THE MOMENT OF DESPERATON AND FRUSTRATION WITH TRYING TO LOOK AT SO MANY DIFFERENT NEIGHBORHOODS, I FIGURED JOHN REIDER WAS PRETTY LEGIT. BOY WAS I WRONG! NEEDLESS TO SAY, MY LEASE IS NOT UP BUT I PLAN TO SCREW THEM JUST LIKE THEY SCREWED ME....IN THE A$$...WITH NO VASELINE!!!!
peacefullangie

Killeen, TX

#8 Jun 30, 2009
just let them know you will be contacting the BBB,, and the atorney generals office,, and if your Army,, turn to your jag office. I have been here my whole life,, and one thing whe rental agency's cant take is bad hits from all three.. and plz plz plz take lots of pics of anything that was wrong when you moved in,, and date them and then mail all the pics back to yourself,, dont open the letter,,its call copy writing, and it is very much held up in a court of law. and remember if its a long lease,,,, you might want to keep looking. because who has time to read all that,, but who can aford not to..
Thallus

Killeen, TX

#9 Nov 1, 2009
Me and a friend of mine are having problems equal to all of those posted. John Reider properties are crooks, in my opinion and they do prey on those they believe to be "inadequate" in finances and intelligence. They will charge you $35 to fix a short in a light fixture after only being there for less than 4mos. They will charge you to fix a window that has a draft that was present before you moved in, even if you put it down on your initial move-in and requested them to fix it. They even tried to charge the person for fixing the water heater after they were not even in the place for more than 3 weeks. Most recently, the residence my friend was staying in was broken into. All of a sudden, after letting them know they were going to move out, they decided to try and charge them $150 for the repair of the door. They actually told the younger daughter living there that, "You should have had renter's insurance." Hmmm. I guess homeowners don't have to have home owners insurance when their place is being rented out. Right! Now they want to take the money out of the "future" rent when they know the tenant is moving out in only six days. I thought that is what the deposit was for. You know, keeping parts of the deposit when money is owed. Not them, they are going for the rent to ensure that they, either get the money or try to charge you for not paying your rent in full and, or breaking your lease. This is weird seeing there will be no more future rent payments except for the prorated charge for Nov. 6 being the "official" Lease renewal/non-renewal date. Leave these people alone!!!!
sfcwife

Killeen, TX

#10 Dec 2, 2009
We tried to rent from Reider but got nothing bu attitude when we walked into the office. We left and rented from JWC Properties, can you believe it got to be worse. We moved into a home they rented and the place had a slew of cosmetic and electrical issues that were wrong with it which they promised to fix. We have been there for 10 months and we are still trying to get the original things fixd much less the new things that hve now gone wrong. The office staff is very rude and slow to responed to concernes of their tenants but are quick to threaten eviction if you violate and minisule part of your lease as so they do not have to address the issue. Any one dealing with this company should beware of these things and if you can avoid it find yourself a more reputable company.
Moving back to Fort Hood wrote:
Wow! Thank you so much for your posts. I had a really bad experience from Armadillo Properties the last time I was at Fort Hood - I vowed I would never do business with them. They kept my deposit and charged me extra because of 'unclean carpet' which I had professionally cleaned and turned in a copy of the receipt before I left and after I cleaned the place up myself after calling them every day for the first two weeks - I realized they weren't coming to do as they promised. Plus, they tried charging two months additional rent way after I had already left TX!! I came across JR and they seemed legit, but now I'm going to be very careful. Thank you, again.
Happy resident

Waco, TX

#11 Dec 3, 2009
I have now been renting with John Reider for about two years and I have had an excellent experience with them. Anytime I call in a work order the maintenance man comes out at timely manner. If I call in to ask any questions the staff are very polite and courteous. I actually think that these other comments have to be talking about a different company because I haven't had not one problem. This is a great rental company and I will continue to refer people to the company.
sfcwife

Killeen, TX

#13 Dec 10, 2009
just a friendly bump
check out this link
somehow he got his post deleted here

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/jwc.aspx
Kimberly

Cypress, TX

#14 Apr 6, 2010
We just got out the duplex we rented from these people and it was the most horrible renting experience ever. The charged us 200.00 dollars for dust on the ceiling fan. The also charged us for a gallon of touch up paint for a nail hole that was so small that I could not even find it. They treat you like they are better than everyone. They bad mouth every customer that calls and comes in, in front of other customers. These people are so unprofessional it is pathetic. I would not do business with these people if they were the last rental company on earth with a home to rent. We ended up having to pay them 340.00 to get my husband depost waiver back to clear fort hood. Beware of this company you will so refret it on the day you move out. Just a lil tid bit of info they have a sign that hangs in there office that says we support our soldiers....more like screw our soldiers because we can. Please whatever you do don't rent from these people. Oh yeah make sure if you already rent through them before your move out date write your 30 day notice they will charge your a** off if you don't. I feel for anyone that deals with them!!!!!!
crystal

Waco, TX

#15 May 10, 2010
Maybe all you turds should read your lease papers and when they give you move in inspection papers you should fill them out properly. All my experiences with JR Properties have been wonderful.
Lucas

Waco, TX

#16 May 12, 2010
I rented from John Reider before going to Iraq and am renting from them again. The only way you can move into a 100% perfect property is to leave it that way. It doesn't sound like any of you did that. They had my back, arranged everything for me and are great in my book! AND they are some of the nicest staff people I have every met! They really care.
Andy

Waco, TX

#17 May 12, 2010
Man, I was just googleing john reider to send an email and I found this site. YOU people are pathetic. This is one of the best rental experiences I have ever had. I am military and use to being treated like "here today gone tomarrow". Not these guys - or I should say girls. Lauren and Bobbi are awsome. They even call me if it's the last day to pay and I have forgotten like a moron. Get your acts together and take care of your business and business might take care of you better.
Sorry for you whiners in Killeen, Tx.
Marty

El Paso, TX

#18 May 25, 2010
Seems odd that the individuals giving great reviews keep showing up as Waco.
Anyways, I rented with John Redier for 2 years and recently PCSed. First of all I would like to say that I am an NCO in the Army with 14yrs of service. I am meticulous about how I leave things. Prior to moving out I made sure to paint my place, wrote a $75 check for my floors to be polished, my yard was in impeccable condition (I'm a yard freak) and all appliances were immaculate. During the inspection the inspector actually moved the stove out from the wall and found some dirt, noted that there was some dust on the light bulbs in the bathroom and said that this was a great looking place. She was shocked that someone had lived there for 2 years. Well, I get a letter in the mail today stating that not only did they take my $400 deposit, but I now owe them $3. I was really shocked. They charged me over $100 to spot paint after I painted myself. They charged almost $200 for a light cleaning/dusting.
I actually feel ripped off. I now am in the process of contacting my local housing office, SJA, and local BBB. The frame in the office quoting they support Soldiers really should be removed. FYI, if this works out fairly, I will be sure to post the results to be fair with this company event though I don't feel they were with me.
Marty

El Paso, TX

#19 Jun 26, 2010
Well, after writing them, they claimed to have charged too much for the spot painting. So I only got charged $53 for spot painting. They still charged to replenish mulch even though upon move in, there was only dirt around the shrubs and no mulch to begin with; I initiated the filling of the mulch. To top that off, no where does it state on the move in inspection that there was mulch. Their response to this was that they take pride in their properties. The really crooked thing about all this is that, on the move out inspection that I signed, missing mulch was never annotated on the signed form. That had to have been added later by someone; I believe that is somewhat fraudulent.
Even though the mulch is only $40, its the principal of the matter. I will write them once more and then file a complaint with the BBB.
My brother just PCSed there and I told him about my situation to which he in turn informed his Soldiers to stay away from anything affiliated with this name. I really wish this had a better out come.
Barbra H

Gatesville, TX

#20 Aug 19, 2010
I have known the Reider's personally and professionally for the last 6 years. I know them to be pillars in the community and ethical business people. I am a local business owner and rent my commercial property from them. They were most helpful with finding the best location and most affordable price for our needs. We have had no problems with the building. And we have a positive working relationship with all members of their office staff.
tbonita05

Temple, TX

#21 Aug 31, 2010
You're ignorant! I've dealt with pretty much every person within this rental company and every single time I had a problem. Lauren is ridiculously rude, she needs an attitude check, point blank she's just a b*tch. I've never had a bad experience with Bobbi or Justin, as a matter of fact they were very friendly. The problem with JRP is not their staff it is their business overall. They charge ridiculous prices for every little thing just to pocket money they do not deserve. I like both Bobbi and Justin, but sorry to say they are guilty by association. JRP is ripping off their tenants. I did everything I was suppose to. I even paid $600.00 to get the house professionally cleaned and they still tried to scam me out of money. I would advise anyone looking for a place in the Fort Hood/Killeen Area NOT TO RENT with this company.
Andy wrote:
Man, I was just googleing john reider to send an email and I found this site. YOU people are pathetic. This is one of the best rental experiences I have ever had. I am military and use to being treated like "here today gone tomarrow". Not these guys - or I should say girls. Lauren and Bobbi are awsome. They even call me if it's the last day to pay and I have forgotten like a moron. Get your acts together and take care of your business and business might take care of you better.
Sorry for you whiners in Killeen, Tx.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harker Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Action Towing And Recovery 8 hr christian 1
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Fossilfarts 677
Wounded Military Dating or Wounded Warriors Dating (May '10) Fri tammy stanley 10
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Manny 535
1st 13th Armor Battalion, 1st AD (May '09) Oct 23 Smokin Joe 9
1 st Armored Division (May '09) Oct 18 Smokin Joe 41
Review: Assembly Of Prayer Christian Church (Sep '12) Oct 12 Lillith 666 52
Harker Heights Dating
Find my Match

Harker Heights Jobs

Harker Heights People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Harker Heights News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harker Heights

Personal Finance