|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2012

Jayar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You Ron, I know there are many guys who have photos, so lets get them posted for all to enjoy.
Did Basic training Feb to April 66. Then off to Fort Ord for AIT
Clerk school D-1-4. Came back to Hood and assigned to the 501st AD
did levies and personell records, transfer to Grey Base as Company clerk of the 55th Avn Bat. 3-Corp got out Feb 8th 1968.

Dave Tapie dave@tapies.com I have the basic training album and some pictures I took.
RIP

Brentwood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2012

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Staff Sgt. Roberto Loeza, 28, of El Paso, Texas, died May 25 in Charkh, Logar province, Afghanistan, when enemy forces attacked his unit with indirect fire. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 41st Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Staff Sgt Roberto Loeza

Merrick, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

Staff Sgt. Roberto Loeza, 28, of El Paso, Texas

http://www.ktsm.com/news/afghanistan-casualty...
Sgt James L Skalberg Jr

Brentwood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

They died June 27, in Maidan Shahr, Wardak province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an improvised explosive device.

Killed were:

1st Lt. Stephen C. Prasnicki, 24, of Lexington, Va., assigned to 4th Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, Warner Barracks, Bamberg, Germany, and

Sgt. James L. Skalberg Jr., 25, of Cullman, Ala., assigned to 4th Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.
1st Armored Division

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2012

The Department of Defense today identified two major units to deploy as part of the upcoming rotation of forces operating in Afghanistan. The scheduled rotation involves one armored brigade combat team with roughly 1,390 personnel -- and one combat aviation brigade with roughly 1,700 personnel to rotate in winter 2012. The deploying units include:

Brigade Combat Team:

4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

Combat Aviation Brigade:

1st Armored Division Combat Aviation Brigade, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Ed Brattt aka Easy Ed

Toccoa, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2012

I was drafted 1-4-66 and did basic at Ft Benning Ga and then did 2 yrs at Ft Hood the reat of 66 and all of 67 in the 501st Admin as a computer operator/programmer with Don Wyatt Tom Dausend and 38 others. Discharged 1-3-68
edandjudy@windstream dot net
Bill N

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2012

Ron D wrote:
I was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1968 & 1969 assigned to the 501st Admin Company in the 1st. AD.
Many sincere thanks to you Jayar for posting these wonderful photos. You bring back many memories from seeing the Fort to Killeen.
Best wishes to you.
I was also with the 501st in 68 and 69 -- worked for LT Rohrer in the publications shop.
Jayar

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Progression of the U.S Army fatigues (Past to Present)

http://imgur.com/6fNHA

Acupat=current general issue camo. Stands for Army Combat Uniform PATtern. It is also referred to as UCP. Universal Camouflage Pattern.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/mazikab/maz...

UCP-Delta was a variation (the 4th) of the Acupat/UCP pattern with an added brown to better blend in the Afghan terrain.
http://www.customgearreport.com/main/wp-conte...
Jayar

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Christ, you know you are old when your old fatigues hanging in the closet are 4 generations old.
Jayar

East Meadow, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Five soldiers

Centereach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

The Department of Defense announced today the death of five soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. 
           They died May 4, in Maiwand, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when their vehicle was attacked by an enemy improvised explosive device. The soldiers were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36thInfantry, 1stBrigade Combat Team, 1stArmored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas. 
           Killed were:
           1stLt. Brandon J. Landrum, 26, of Lawton, Okla., 
           Staff Sgt. Francis G. Phillips IV, 28, of Meridian, N.Y.,
           Spc. Kevin Cardoza, 19, of Mercedes, Texas,
           Spc. Thomas P. Murach, 22, of Meridian, Idaho, and
           Spc. Brandon J. Prescott, 24, of Bend, Ore.
Spc Kyle P Stoeckli

Huntington Station, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2013

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Kyle P. Stoeckli, 21, of Moseley, Va., died June 1, in Maiwand, Afghanistan, from injuries sustained when his unit was attacked by an improvised explosive device.

He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Fort Bliss, Texas.
Hugh O

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2013

Was with the 501st Admin co 1962 thru 1064. Would like to hear from any one that worked in finace.
Jim Pederson

Campobello, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2013

I was at Fort Hood from Dec. 1965 to Dec . 1967.
Took basic training there and then to Ft. Gorden , Ga. for AIT and then back to Ft. Hood and the 501st MP Co. until discharge
Joe D

Rogers, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Took basic at Ft. Knox 8/63 to 10/63, sent to Ft Hood for AIT, assigned to B Troop, 1st Sqd, 1st Cav, 1st AD. Was in a mortar squad, drove for the XO and ended up as troop clerk until discharge in 8/65. Some great memories of days at Hood and Killeen. Thanks for the postings.
Dan Green

Rio Vista, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Jim Pederson wrote:
I was at Fort Hood from Dec. 1965 to Dec . 1967.
Took basic training there and then to Ft. Gorden , Ga. for AIT and then back to Ft. Hood and the 501st MP Co. until discharge
We probably worked together. I was inducted at Ft. Ord in Nov. 1965. Did basic at Ft. Hood then AIT at Ft. Gordon as well. Served post duty in 501 st MP until about July until I was to transferred to 256th MP (garrison co.) so I could continue duty as a patrol supervisor. Did most of my duty on car # 9 as accident investigator. Served as patrol sup until discharged in Nov. 67.
Charles Hummell

West Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2014

I was in the 501st. Admin unit from 1966-1968 handling payroll records. It's pretty much a vague memory now Anyone there during this time?
Jim Beck

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2014

Richard Lang wrote:
I was in the 32nd Data Processing Unit, attached to the 501st Admin Co, as was the 501 Military Police Co, 1st Armored Division, Ft Hood, Tx in 1968-1969.
I ETS'ed in September, 1969 to go to Georgia Tech. MSG Richard Daughtry, CW3 Marvin Mork. We fed, paid, and promoted through Personnel. The week I ETS'ed, 20 of my buddies came down on orders to VietNam.
I returned from Viet Nam on 9/10/68 and was stationed at Ft. Hood, 32nd DPU. My buddy in Nam, Bill Vaughn also rotated back on same dates and also was assigned to 32nd DPU. I stayed at FT. Hood till June of 1969 when discharged and attended college in Virginia.
Bill

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2014

Jayar, I was on CQ duty the night African American soldiers had a sit down protest and refused to be deployed to Chicago. I had to go pick up General Boles and drive him to the protest site to deal with the situation. Interesting times. Bill, 501st Admin Co.
Jayar wrote:
Although the 1st Armored Division did not participate as a Division in the Vietnam War, two units, Company A, 501st Aviation and 1st Squadron, 1st Calvary served with distinction. Both earned Presidential Unit Citations, and 1-1 Cavalry received two Valorous Unit Awards and three Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry. Neither unit was officially detached from the 1st Armored Division and veterans of both units may wear the Old Ironsides as a combat patch.
In addition, in 1967 the 198th Infantry Brigade was formed from three of the Division's Infantry Battalions and deployed from Fort Hood to Vietnam. After the war, two of the three battalions, 1-6 Infantry and 1-52 Infantry, returned to the 1st Armored Division.
1968 was a crisis-filled year of domestic unrest. After the assassination of Martin Luther King, several inner cities exploded into violence. The 3rd Brigade deployed to Chicago to assist in restoring order.
The early 1970's brought the withdrawal of American Forces from Vietnam and a major restructuring of the Army. Old Ironsides was rumored to be on the list of units to be inactivated. Veterans of the Division organized a letter-writing campaign to "save" the 1st Armored Division. Their efforts were rewarded when on May 10, 1971, 1st Armored Division left its home at Fort Hood, Texas to replace the 4th Armored Division in Germany.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Harker Heights Discussions

Search the Harker Heights Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 6 min JWRussell USRN 21,313
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr fubar 16,959
trying to remeber girls name Sun wondering 1
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sun nina roth 738
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) Sat sam 581
Review: Nu Body Weight Loss Lounge (Aug '10) Sat Angel Face 39
1st 13th Armor Battalion, 1st AD (May '09) Jul 19 LUIS SILGUERO 7
•••
•••
•••
Harker Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Harker Heights Jobs

•••