1 st Armored Division
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jayar

Mamaroneck, NY

#1 May 27, 2009
Although the 1st Armored Division did not participate as a Division in the Vietnam War, two units, Company A, 501st Aviation and 1st Squadron, 1st Calvary served with distinction. Both earned Presidential Unit Citations, and 1-1 Cavalry received two Valorous Unit Awards and three Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry. Neither unit was officially detached from the 1st Armored Division and veterans of both units may wear the Old Ironsides as a combat patch.

In addition, in 1967 the 198th Infantry Brigade was formed from three of the Division's Infantry Battalions and deployed from Fort Hood to Vietnam. After the war, two of the three battalions, 1-6 Infantry and 1-52 Infantry, returned to the 1st Armored Division.

1968 was a crisis-filled year of domestic unrest. After the assassination of Martin Luther King, several inner cities exploded into violence. The 3rd Brigade deployed to Chicago to assist in restoring order.

The early 1970's brought the withdrawal of American Forces from Vietnam and a major restructuring of the Army. Old Ironsides was rumored to be on the list of units to be inactivated. Veterans of the Division organized a letter-writing campaign to "save" the 1st Armored Division. Their efforts were rewarded when on May 10, 1971, 1st Armored Division left its home at Fort Hood, Texas to replace the 4th Armored Division in Germany.
Tim otoole

United States

#2 Oct 15, 2010
I see that the 16th engineers were reassigned to 1st Armor Division. Can anyone tell me the location?
Tim otoole

United States

#3 Oct 15, 2010
Anyone with A Co. 16th Engr Bn. APO09696 from 1973-1976 drop a line at [email protected]
Ron D

Boston, MA

#4 Mar 8, 2011
I was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1968 & 1969 assigned to the 501st Admin Company in the 1st. AD.
Many sincere thanks to you Jayar for posting these wonderful photos. You bring back many memories from seeing the Fort to Killeen.
Best wishes to you.
Jayar

Saddle River, NJ

#5 Mar 11, 2011
Ron D wrote:
I was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1968 & 1969 assigned to the 501st Admin Company in the 1st. AD.
Many sincere thanks to you Jayar for posting these wonderful photos. You bring back many memories from seeing the Fort to Killeen.
Best wishes to you.
Thank You Ron, I know there are many guys who have photos, so lets get them posted for all to enjoy.
Jayar

Saddle River, NJ

#6 Mar 11, 2011
"Old Ironsides" Fort Hood, Texas. The 1st Armored Division "Old Ironsides" numbers many firsts in its distinguished history. It was the first armored division to be organized. The first to go overseas; the first to engage German troops in World War II; and it was first in number of days in combat in World War II.
Jayar

New Rochelle, NY

#7 May 24, 2011
The 1st Armored Division colors will be unfurled , Tues., May 24, 9:00am at Fort Bliss' Noel Field. After 40 years the Division is back on U.S. soil. Come on out and see the Iron Soldiers march. Maj. Gen. Dana J.H. Pittard and CSM David Davenport take charge of the Old Ironsides Division at the ceremony.
Jayar

Middle Island, NY

#8 Aug 12, 2011
Richard Lang

Fairfax, VA

#9 Jan 10, 2012
I was in the 32nd Data Processing Unit, attached to the 501st Admin Co, as was the 501 Military Police Co, 1st Armored Division, Ft Hood, Tx in 1968-1969.
I ETS'ed in September, 1969 to go to Georgia Tech. MSG Richard Daughtry, CW3 Marvin Mork. We fed, paid, and promoted through Personnel. The week I ETS'ed, 20 of my buddies came down on orders to VietNam.
Bob V

Rochester, NY

#10 Mar 19, 2012
Was in 501st Admin from Aug '67 to Dec '68. Worked processing admin discharges as well as retirements and some ets processing. Appreciate the memories.Also thanks to Jayar. Lt. Harrell was in charge when i was there. lived in older barracks before moving off post.
Ron D wrote:
Best wishes to you.
Bob V

Rochester, NY

#11 Mar 19, 2012
Had several friends that "graduated" radio teletype school at Ft. Gordon in July '66 that went to Ft Hood and were assigned to 198th. I followed them by a week and when processing for duty was headed for same butthe officer in charge Lt Harrell paraded by line looking for someone who could type. Only time I volunteered. Stationed there for 16 months processing retirements, admin and unsuitable dischrges and some ETSing. Felt guilty for sometime but.. Interesting times. thanks for memories.Anyone remember the Blue Moon restaurant in Killeen?
Bob V

Rochester, NY

#12 Mar 19, 2012
Went to Ft. Hood in 1967 not '66 as previously listed. Timeline was August 67 to December 68. Sorry for error.
Jayar

Union City, NJ

#13 Mar 19, 2012
Bob V wrote:
Went to Ft. Hood in 1967 not '66 as previously listed. Timeline was August 67 to December 68. Sorry for error.
Hi Bob, I was drafted in Feb.66 and did my two years at Fort Hood. I was with the 16th Engr.Bn. and although I was expecting to go to Viet Nam I eventually became part of a training center for all the troops going overseas. If you went to Nam during my two years at Fort Hood I probably was part of any ambush you encountered at the RVN Training Village.
Bob V

Rochester, NY

#14 Mar 20, 2012
Jayar wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob, I was drafted in Feb.66 and did my two years at Fort Hood. I was with the 16th Engr.Bn. and although I was expecting to go to Viet Nam I eventually became part of a training center for all the troops going overseas. If you went to Nam during my two years at Fort Hood I probably was part of any ambush you encountered at the RVN Training Village.
Istayed at Ft. Hood from 8/67 till 12/68. If you ETS'd in Feb of 68 I may haave processed you and /or your paperwork as you were getting out. I'm sure you were smiling. Your insights and info are greatly appreciated. thank you.
Jayar

United States

#15 Mar 21, 2012
Still smiling Bob! Here is a video from the late 1950's showing the 1st Armored Division at Fort Hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Jayar

Union City, NJ

#16 Mar 21, 2012
A History of the 1st AD...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php...
Donald Price

Wellsville, NY

#17 Mar 23, 2012
was drafted 12/6/65 took basic at fort hood went to aberdeen md. for 14 weeks and returned to fort hood with the 123rd maint until 12/6/67
Spc Jason K Edens

Bronx, NY

#18 Apr 27, 2012
Alan L

Philippines

#19 Apr 30, 2012

I was a member of the USAR and was recalled to finish up my final 18 months of my 6 year commitment and assigned to the 501st MP Co of the 1st AD. There was 50,000 USAR and NG's that were recalled in May of 1968. I performed MP duties, both on and off base.
Jayar

Union City, NJ

#20 May 13, 2012
About 3,200 soldiers with the 1st Armored Division brigade at Fort Bliss will be headed to Iraq later this year in support of "Operation New Dawn," the Department of Defense announced Tuesday.

Soldiers in the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division will begin the rotation in mid-summer. All U.S. forces are to be out of Iraq by Dec. 31, 2011, according to a security agreement signed by both countries.

Also deploying to Iraq this summer will be about 775 soldiers with the 3rd Infantry Division Headquarters out of Fort Stewart, Ga., and another 3,200 soldiers with the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harker Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Central Texas Infant Dies; Charge Against Stepf... (Jul '10) Aug 21 Anonymous 5
News Belton Police Arrest Six Men for Gang Rape (Dec '07) Aug 19 Incredibly entert... 47
Review: Gregory K Simmons PC (May '13) Aug 19 P Pool 4
What unit used the crest shown in my user ID ph... Aug 18 TomCatTiger 1
1st Bde, 2nd AD 1967-1969 - Organization Chart Aug 15 TomCatTiger 3
Review: Young Libersky & Holbrook (May '11) Aug 14 tamara klotz 7
News Suspect in Bell County case arrested in Las Vegas (Sep '10) Aug 13 dooneyandbourke 2

Harker Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Harker Heights Mortgages