First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pokey Gal 66

Chickasha, OK

#1 Feb 1, 2010
Can someone please let me know what the funeral arrangements are going to be for Vernon Dale Putman, Jr.? I am not sure what funeral home it will be - was thinking maybe either Carter Funeral Home in Thayer or perhaps TriCounty in Ashflat but I'm not certain. If anyone finds out any details please post them here.

Thank you In Advance -
UB_FUBAR

Little Rock, AR

#2 Feb 1, 2010
did he pass away in Tennessee?
UB_FUBAR

Little Rock, AR

#3 Feb 1, 2010
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 9:11 pm

By CHRIS MENEES
Staff Reporter
What apparently started out as a family dispute turned deadly late Thursday night on Wade Wiley Road near Union City.
Vernon Dale Putman Jr., 40, died in a shooting incident that occurred about 11 p.m. at 1809 Wade Wiley Road, southwest of Union City, according to the Obion County Sheriff’s Department.
Obion County Sheriff Jerry Vastbinder said the incident remains under investigation today, but it appears it started out as a family dispute between Putman and his 17-year-old son, whose name was not disclosed by authorities.
“(Putman) apparently became more irritated and picked up a rifle and had his 17-year-old son kneel down on the floor, pointed the gun at him and told him he was going to let him meet his God,” Vastbinder said.“He did not shoot the son, turned the weapon and pointed it at his wife, Polly Putman. We have a round that did not fire. He pointed the gun at her and it didn’t go off.”
Vastbinder said Mrs. Putman apparently then fled to the back of the residence, at which time Putman allegedly got another gun, went outside and fired 10 rounds into a car.
“When he comes back into the house, his 17-year-old son had picked up a gun and shot Putman twice,” the sheriff said this morning.
Putman was pronounced dead at the scene by Obion County Medical Examiner Dr. Kirk Stone. His body was sent to Memphis for autopsy.
There were no other injuries reported in the incident.
No charges had been filed at press time today and Vastbinder said he will meet with District Attorney General Tommy Thomas today to discuss the incident.
“We’re putting all the pieces together,” he added.
Staff Reporter Chris Menees may be contacted by e-mail at cmenees@ucmessenger.com.
Published in The Messenger 1.29.10
wants2no

Mountain Home, AR

#4 Feb 2, 2010
funeral services are today at 2:00 pm carter funeral home and burial at perry cementary.
The rest of the story

Evening Shade, AR

#5 Feb 2, 2010
I am saddened by all of this. I have known that family for years. I am sure that all of the truth will eventually come out. None the less, a good family has lost thier son.
Old Friend

Ash Flat, AR

#6 Feb 2, 2010
I am in complete shock and utter disbelief as I read this. I went to school and graduated with Vernon aka "punkin". If there is any truth to this post I am SO terribly sorry to hisentire family. He was always a wonderful guy an a good friend. If any of his family reads this, I knew nothing of this and would have properly paid my respects. If anyone has more info about arrangements please post it on here. Thank you, and again, my deepest sympathies.ERBY
Sympathy

Dallas, TX

#7 Feb 2, 2010
Look at posts above for arrangements

United States

#8 Feb 4, 2010
This sad to hear
Vernons friend

Van Buren, AR

#9 Feb 5, 2010
He meant so much to me! It will not be the same without him
Vernons friend

Van Buren, AR

#10 Feb 5, 2010
I am trying to find a number for Shawn Byers--Vernons cousin--Thanks--I was good friends with both Shawn and Vernon and would like to give my respects to Shawn
wants2no

Mountain Home, AR

#11 Feb 5, 2010
Vernons friend wrote:
I am trying to find a number for Shawn Byers--Vernons cousin--Thanks--I was good friends with both Shawn and Vernon and would like to give my respects to Shawn
i know there number i will ok it with them and post it a little later tonight..he is doing the best he can with this..it is very sad.
Vernons friend

Van Buren, AR

#12 Feb 5, 2010
wants2no wrote:
<quoted text>i know there number i will ok it with them and post it a little later tonight..he is doing the best he can with this..it is very sad.
Thanks so much--My name is Teresa-- If he does not want me to have his number, just let him know that he is in my thoughts and prayers as well
Vernons friend

Van Buren, AR

#13 Feb 5, 2010
Vernons friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks so much--My name is Teresa-- If he does not want me to have his number, just let him know that he is in my thoughts and prayers as well
my email is littlebit2519@yahoo.com -
wants2no

Mountain Home, AR

#14 Feb 6, 2010
Vernons friend wrote:
<quoted text>my email is littlebit2519@yahoo.com -
i will email you the number..
Vernons friend

Conway, AR

#15 Feb 7, 2010
I am in shock after hearing about Vernon. He was a great guy and very dear friend of mine. He will be greatly missed. My deepest sympathy to the family for their loss.
palisades pete

AOL

#16 Feb 27, 2010
omg.......i am in such shock to find out the true events of this story. He abused his family for years, threatened them with guns constantly. Thank god polly his wife a beloved teacher of troy was not killed , nor their son. They are now in counseling everyday. They endured this for many many years, the boy coud not longer take the thought of him killing his mother. He took the abuse from his father for a long time, but when he thought he would kill his mother he lost it. My heart bleeds Polly and her son. Sounds like he was a drunk or meth, chasing wife outside with a gun! SHock
a friend

Van Buren, AR

#17 Feb 28, 2010
Has anyone heard any details of a court date?
a friend

Van Buren, AR

#18 Feb 28, 2010
palisades pete wrote:
omg.......i am in such shock to find out the true events of this story. He abused his family for years, threatened them with guns constantly. Thank god polly his wife a beloved teacher of troy was not killed , nor their son. They are now in counseling everyday. They endured this for many many years, the boy coud not longer take the thought of him killing his mother. He took the abuse from his father for a long time, but when he thought he would kill his mother he lost it. My heart bleeds Polly and her son. Sounds like he was a drunk or meth, chasing wife outside with a gun! SHock
If it was so bad why did she not give Vernon a divocre when he asked for one a few years back? I also know that the "beloved Miss Polly" has also threatened Vernon with a gun on many occasion. And he did not shot her.
CynD

Forsyth, MO

#19 Mar 12, 2010
palisades pete wrote:
No, this is not true at all Pete. I don't undertand why you people keep saying this stuff. He loved his wife, I don't know why, but he did. He never threatened to kill her, it was the other way around. The son is about to turn 18, Vernon was about to move back to where his parents live, and they wanted him stopped. If he was an abuser, which I know for a fact he was not, they could have let him just walk away, move on, but they wanted to make sure if they coudn't have him making their living, he would not live.
zsmiedala

Mound, MN

#20 Jan 25, 2011
Although I was not there, I can tell you I have known Vernon and Polly for about 17 years. I never even saw Vernon angry, let alone violent. I will never believe he threatend his wife or son, he loved them both. C.J. was his pride and joy. Vernon and Polly's relationship started under odd circumstances, "her being his teacher and all," and it has ended under that same cloud. Funny how devistated you can be about your husbands death then marry your "family friend" less than two months later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hal Mandelman is a Hateful and Stupid Scumbag! 4 hr BlackDog77 3
My Latest Work 5 hr BlackDog77 9
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 9 hr Glenn Camel 30,792
Trace cossey (Aug '11) 15 hr Bowser45 10
Cossey Family (Aug '14) Mon TraceCossey 4
Any Pizza Hut employees in Ash Flat who have ha... (Mar '13) Mon jackie 13
Jeff Richards CD Mar 29 Bowsers Son Donnie 15
Hardy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web