New life for old hotel

New life for old hotel

There are 35 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Mar 18, 2010, titled New life for old hotel. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

It's been a long time since Bill Brooks has seen this much action around the Hotel Windham.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#21 Mar 21, 2010
count me out wrote:
Jamey you are in Canada right now and misinformed on local issues. Look forward to see you at Nicks soon.
Wood stone is owned by one of the partners so they are selling windows to themselves.
This group is taking very minimal risks for what they promised and in the process shafting locals
Actually I believe Woodstone is owned by all of the partners. Or at least they all used to have an interest in it.
flat lander

United States

#22 Mar 21, 2010
spend all the money you want and dress it up as the dance of the season, dream of your past and reality but it is still a old building with new paint. To bring back the old charisma of the bellows falls fair day you would need the dancing girls among other old traits of days of past which I'll leave up to your dismay. What's with these concrete and asphalt side walks, what happened to the board walks and hitching post of the good old days.
personal

Keene, NH

#24 Mar 23, 2010
I know the people who are going to be running the place, and they are putting their heart and soul into this! They have already reached out to possible staff members that they know will offer great customer service. They are renovating as we speak. They already run a couple eatery locations and their food is fantastic!

It has to start somewhere. I applaud these people for going after it. enough complaining ! If everyone in BF would stop bitching and start doing, maybe it would all turn around. Instead, everyone sits at home and waits for someone else to do the hard work.

So there's your problem. A town full of lazy complainers that always have a better idea, but no reasoning or intiative to get off their ass and do soemthing about it.

Good Luck Windham! See you on opening night!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#25 Mar 23, 2010
I think that people are mistaking the lack of representation of a Bellows Falls middle class on the Topix forums for the nonexistence of said group.

My outlook for the success of the new Windham hotel is contingent upon two major questions I have:

1) Will there be a bar?

2) Will they server awesome beer?

Assuming the answer to these questions is yes, I think they're going to do just fine. In any case, I'll be there opening night.
I Vote Vermont

Shelburne, VT

#26 Mar 23, 2010
Ah yes, "The Yellow Rose" such history!
Jamey Berrick

Kincardine, Canada

#27 Mar 24, 2010
Count me out

If you were willing to take a risk and invest into a project of this size in our community and have the resources to save some money in the process, wouldn't you have the business sense to utilize it?
Oh wait, where do the people from Woodstone Co. work and Live? Right in our Community, to me that's local. I also see you forget to post of the other locals I mentioned.

Avoid destructive thinking. Improper negative thoughts sink people. A ship can sail around the world many, many times, but just let enough water get into the ship and it will sink. Just so with the human mind. Let enough negative thoughts or improper thoughts get into the human mind and the person sinks just like a ship.
brainstormin

Rochester, NH

#28 Mar 25, 2010
While Woodstone's owners are busy here in BF replacing the windows in the hotel on the one hand, they are busy permanently laying off all their skilled labor on the other, something they have been doing since appx Dec 2008. So while phase into a new venture they phase out of another? Displacing dozens of workers into the ranks of the unemployed? I for one will have a hard time favoring this project. Also, wasn't there sonething in the paper about getting community funding help for the hotel's restaurant backing?
Jamey Berrick

Kincardine, Canada

#29 Mar 25, 2010
Well Brainstormin, if you read all the articles in the paper and watch the news from around the country and the world youÂ’d see a lot of businesses are closing all together verses laying off some of their workforce in order to keep their businesses open and keeping as many loyal as well as skilled people employed. If you read the biographies of the individuals involved in this venture, you may have a different perspective. I find it highly unlikely that they are phasing out a very high end as well as a very successful business that took 30 years to build up, to invest in this venture and close the other. I thank those parties involved in their investment to our community and for taking the risk to invest here for the betterment of our community. Best of luck to you all!
"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vincent T. Lombardi

Location hidden

#30 Mar 26, 2010
Why anyone would want to launch a new venture in this town is beyond me. The negativity that spews forth from its citizenry whenever they hear about a new business attempting to open is amazing. That of course unless its a new bar opening.

We cheer up people..I believe the new restaurant in the hotel will have a bar.
cecil B

Montpelier, VT

#31 Mar 27, 2010
i have a couple of questions.
#1 = will there be designated parking in the square for this "upscale" restaraunt?? scenario - the lastest & greatest movie is playing downtown on the weekend. where will the restaraunt goers park? y'all have been thru the square when the movies have been packed. you're lucky to make it thru there w/o hitting a kid or 2.
#2 = will BF's finest be invoking the loitering law during the summer. remember - there are a couple of park benches right around this location that many a teenager likes to hangout at. hmmm, this will be interesting. my guess is - the developers have already spoke w/the town officials about this. they can't have hoodlums looking in to their place of business. nor do patrons want to be staring at kids w/earrings,tatoos, pants down to their knees...wouldn't look good to attracting more business..
just a couple of thoughts.
thatwas

New Haven, CT

#32 Mar 27, 2010
yeah you don't want the teenagers hanging out on the benches..shouldn't they be out somewhere else doing drugs?
The Betterl World

Springfield, OR

#33 Mar 27, 2010
Is this hotel going to be another gay interprise?
The Betterl World

Springfield, OR

#34 Mar 27, 2010
Sorry "enterprise"

Location hidden

#35 Mar 28, 2010
cecil B wrote:
i have a couple of questions.
#1 = will there be designated parking in the square for this "upscale" restaraunt?? scenario - the lastest & greatest movie is playing downtown on the weekend. where will the restaraunt goers park? y'all have been thru the square when the movies have been packed. you're lucky to make it thru there w/o hitting a kid or 2.
#2 = will BF's finest be invoking the loitering law during the summer. remember - there are a couple of park benches right around this location that many a teenager likes to hangout at. hmmm, this will be interesting. my guess is - the developers have already spoke w/the town officials about this. they can't have hoodlums looking in to their place of business. nor do patrons want to be staring at kids w/earrings,tatoos, pants down to their knees...wouldn't look good to attracting more business..
just a couple of thoughts.
Good questions Cecil. As to #1, I believe the impending removal of the power plants substation will help some with that.
brainstormin

Rochester, NH

#36 Mar 30, 2010
my understanding of the gmp substation removal is that it is not scheduled to be completed until 2012, and that info is from linemen I subcontract to, GMP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardwick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the music thread (Mar '12) Mar '16 Musikologist 19
Hair Salon (Mar '15) Mar '15 JJJ 1
News Police Notes (Jun '14) Dec '14 Terry P 2
News Real-life Perry Mason accused of break-in (Oct '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 3
News Unsolved Homicide - Information Requested (Dec '09) Jul '14 Malissa Curschmann 6
Crumpton (May '13) May '13 Guest 1
News A Vermont-born Super Bowl centerpiece (Feb '13) Feb '13 Elmer_J_Fudd 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Hardwick Mortgages